Spacenoth

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Aren't they a little weak? And what's more, I don't think that jet packs would work. But SINR. Giving skirmisher is a good idea.

It would be really funny to see a campaign in which elfs or dwarves of the future would fight space invaders!
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Chris Byler

Post by Chris Byler »

The problem with the space marine floating around in a one-man spacesuit/jetpack is that he would be very vulnerable to antipersonnel weapons - even more so than on a planet, as one piece of shrapnel that might cause only a minor wound on a planet could decompress his spacesuit.

That, and he runs out of fuel too fast, and a human-portable thruster doesn't provide enough maneuverability to keep him out of harm's way.

Once you put some fuel storage, more powerful engines and some armor on his spacesuit - you've got a fighter. And you can put bigger weapons and more ammo storage on it, too.

Space marines wouldn't be much use in empty space. But if it's possible to get an assault shuttle to clamp onto another ship's hull and cut a hole to board through...

I don't think the Wesnoth mechanics would work for a ship combat game either though. No amount of experience will turn a destroyer into a battleship, and balancing costs/power/advancement between fighters and a couple different classes of capital ships is going to be very difficult, if not impossible, with Wesnoth mechanics. (Time of day and traits don't really work either, but you can turn those off.) Movement works completely different too, if you intend to have little things like momentum and gravity. Anyway, what space strategy game would be complete without carriers, which you can't really even try to model in Wesnoth.
appleide

Post by appleide »

Of course it can work! What are you talking about? All you have to do is change the source code! :P

Say, the "Humans Federation" navy for example:
There is no "levelling up" in most ships.

cost 16 Scout - moves 10
5-2 laser

cost 10 Fighter - moves 4 -> Veteran fighter with an extra shot, moves extra 1 and has better defenses
4-4 laser

cost 36 Carrier - moves 6 has a special ability that lets it recruit fighters in the middle of space for twice the cost.
8-4 Gauss Cannons

cost 32 Destroyer - moves 6
6-5 Gauss cannons
26-1 8cm Railgun

cost 18 Docking Station - moves 5
cures
4-4 lasers
NightBlade

Post by NightBlade »

SPACE! ADD TAU ADD TAU! (from warhammer).
You cannot ride a roller coaster if you are under 4 feet tall unless you are older than 16 years old.
appleide

Post by appleide »

Tau had good long ranged fire power in space, but lacked broadeside defense, and were slow in hyperspace, and very good guidance:

Tau Cruiser moves 4
22-1 magical

Tau BattleCruiser moves 4
38-1 magical

Tau messenger ship moves 8
5-2

Tau Carrier moves 5
36-1 magical

Tau fighter moves 5
10-2 magical
Raven

Post by Raven »

I would really like to help. Story desgin, unit proposals, race development,... I am at your disposal.

Terrains:
Space - nothing special
Mining Stations - Villages
Asteroid Fields - Forest
Nebulae - Water
Orbit - the area around a planet ( Castle )
Planet/BattleStation - Headquarter
Phyvo

Post by Phyvo »

Wait, so are you guys thinking of having the space people fighting on the planet or in space? I was thinking of a simple outer-space mod myself but became frustrated with the lack of anything day-night, leveling up, and terrain (I mean, how many different types of "terrain" ARE there in space? not many, as compared to BFW. Though there are different degrees of asteroid fields). The main reason I was considering this was because the graphics would be pretty easy (starry backgrounds, wee, ships blow up mostly the same, etc etc).

Of course, it could always be a weird mix of both, but then you'd have the issue of getting marines in and out of space or something.

If we did make a mod I would only base it off of an existing world if we could save on graphics trouble; here my preferance would probably be one of the Escape Velocity games, though you'd probably have to go with EV:Nova to get enough ships for a faction. Of course I don't see the mod as having any point at all unless the it has significantly different gameplay/style than BFW has right now... any suggestions?
appleide

Post by appleide »

You do realise I was just kidding when I suggested all those ships, don't you? :roll: Anyways, but if you guys reallly want to make a mod, you need to do the graphics and also change the sourcecode. I can do neither.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Phyvo

Post by Phyvo »

You must remember that the internet is a textual medium... It's much harder to pick up stuff like sarcasm, not to mention the fact that I hardly know you. It's why people invented emotion tags and smilies to help it along.

In any case, I shall not take your lack of graphical or coding ability as an excuse! You must draw placeholder art for the project!

DUN DUN DUN!

...yeah. Um... back to hammering details out...
appleide

Post by appleide »

but...but... can YOU change the source or do the art?
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
scott

Post by scott »

Have you guys seen the original art for this game? Most of the terrain was gimp patterns. The units were alright since they were provided by the resident professional, but it didn't take much to get off the ground. As it did, more skilled people started contributing. It seems that space, nebula, dust clouds, and asteroid fields can't be that hard to paint.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
unsung

Post by unsung »

I wouldn't even try to make nebula's in 2-d. it doesn't work, since its a BALL of gas. plus wouldn't there be radiation that would kill the crew of the sips? (or is that only in a nova or fully formed star)

this makes me think about the kadesh nebula.... I actually captured a few of the fighters there.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
scott

Post by scott »

unsung wrote:I wouldn't even try to make nebula's in 2-d. it doesn't work, since its a BALL of gas. plus wouldn't there be radiation that would kill the crew of the sips? (or is that only in a nova or fully formed star)

this makes me think about the kadesh nebula.... I actually captured a few of the fighters there.
SINR. As long as they're going to think up space ships, let them think up shields while they're at it. A nebula is a ball of gas that forms stars. I don't think you get radiation until fusion starts. Regardless you say ships have to slow down due to propulsion power being used to bolster the shields.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Phyvo

Post by Phyvo »

Since no one else seems to have any gameplay ideas, I figured that I better post those that I have.

I think that the terrain should give defense towards the extremes than BFW, though 75-80% defense should definately be the maximium. Ships with the same type of equipment will do the same damage per attack but will have different numbers of attacks. For example, a Confederate Cruiser would have 6 attacks of 4 damage while a Confederate Patrol Ship would only have 2 attacks of 4 damage, or something like that.

Preferably ships that "level up" would get some random trait, but I don't think that's possible. Instead you might have to go with selecting from different possible advancements that would improve different parts of the ship.

Some ships would be considerably more powerful than others. Fighters/Bombers would all get skirmish and be good when swarming considerable more powerful cruisers, though they'd be level 0 so that they don't have any zone of control. Cruisers could possibly have costs 4-5 times (including upkeep) that of fighters and would have much more HP, less defense, and more firepower, of course. Corvettes would be somewhere in the middle, being moderately fast and able to destroy fighters more easily than Cruisers. There would be different factions with one to three varients of each craft.

There could be "repair" corvettes which would function as healers, though they'd mainly be places for fighters to recoup as Cruisers would have too much HP for them and would have to heal at a station instead. "Salvage" corvettes, a la Homeworld, would be able to attack weak ships and turn them into fighters.

Various types of terrain could include deep space, two or three degrees of nebula and asteroid fields, star corona (ship takes damage), inner star (whatever you call that, could be lethal), mining stations, shipyards, possibly planets.

I have already begun to develop this. I present to you, Wesnoth: IN SPPPAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Phyvo wrote:I present to you, Wesnoth: IN SPPPAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!
Seems more like WESNOTH IN WINTER. ;-)

Seriously: It's nice. However, the space is supposed to be black, isn't it? Maybe this could be the "atmosphere" terrain, and then there could be a black "space" terrain.