Developer endorsed campaign pack

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Maybe we are just thinking about writing the 2nd part and the 2nd chapter of these campaigns? Both do end with something like "This was the first part, bu t the story will go on...". If you want to write these, fell free to do so ;)

<selfpromo>Oh, and i vote for having Two Brothers in this pack once it is done.</selfpromo>
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I'm working on it...

I think it would be good to put in once its done.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
bruno
Inactive Developer

Re: Developer endorsed campaign pack

Post by bruno »

rezaf wrote:
Dave wrote:- it must be complete. For instance, if it is a campaign, it must go from start to end, without feeling unfinished or incomplete.
Don't at least two of the official campaigns violate this rule? The orc campaign is even dubbed "Chapter 1" or something, and the Necromancer campaign just stops all of a sudden without further notice.
From what I understand, none of the two is even actually worked upon any longer...
SoBE is actually pretty interesting and is a good way to learn
to play Orcs. I didn't like TDH that much, primarily because
it is much easier than other campaigns at medium difficulty.

I wrote up some feedback and a couple things have been
tweaked, I might get a chance to run through it again and keep saved copies of the game so that I can give some concrete suggestions on changing the turn limits to keep
money to some more reasonable limits,

Probably only minor trimming is possible without doing
multiple iterations, since changes in early maps might
have reprocussions in later maps.

There are some other issues as well, but anything with
a string change can only happen post 1.0.
Last edited by bruno on September 7th, 2005, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rezaf

Post by rezaf »

My sole point was that a rule is to be enforced onto the aspiring members of the endorsed campaign pack that the official campaigns do not obey to.
Or would it be enough when they add a message at whatever their currently last mission is saying "To be continued"?
rezaf

"This pisses me off!"
Urinal, the Elvish Marshal
scott

Post by scott »

Would you allow bugs in new code just because the old code isn't bug free? There's no reason not to force NEW content to meet standards.

Besides, I think having "Chapter 1" is ok, as long it's complete in itself. Sort of like Star Wars. I don't know because I have never gotten past the Silent Woods.
I don't know what the plan is for The Dark Hordes.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
szopen

Post by szopen »

Hmm... Would "A new order" be considered not having vulgar and obscene scenes ? (I'm thinking about one event after the farewell feast in Freetown).

If so, I would work very hard to finish it :) Because having 26 scenarios now I am in the middle of what I intended.
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

Is "Mage Republic" a good enough campaign to be included?
Pythagoras

Post by Pythagoras »

Can I request that the campaign be fully pollished in terms of editing of English (and translated) dialague? I know its somewhat petty, but it distracts me from the otherwise fantastic work the campaign creators do.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Pythagoras wrote:Can I request that the campaign be fully pollished in terms of editing of English (and translated) dialague?
The English dialog will have to be fully polished. The campaign need not have any translations to be accepted though (but it will certainly be nice if it does have some translations!)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
aelius

Post by aelius »

I'm not going to have time to clean up the last few scenarios of The South Guard before school takes over my life again.

Dave, if I split the South Guard after Choice in the Fog, would you be interested in releasing the first five scenarios (which are really well polished) in the campaign pack? I think they make a good advanced tutorial.

With some help I could probably get the whole thing ready, but I just don't have the oomph right now to rewrite Into the Depths or Vengeance, both of which need a lot of work.

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
sanna

Post by sanna »

While I totally agree with Dave that a campaign should not need to have translations in order to be included in the pack, I do think it would be a clear plus for a campaign to be prepared for translation, i.e., that the strings to be translated were in the form of _ "...."
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

sanna wrote:While I totally agree with Dave that a campaign should not need to have translations in order to be included in the pack, I do think it would be a clear plus for a campaign to be prepared for translation, i.e., that the strings to be translated were in the form of _ "...."
Mind you, with text edit on Mac OS X it isn't that hard at all. Just go to "find and replace" and type in the find feild: 'message=" ' and replace it with 'message= _ " ' Repeat for descriptions and storys.

I think wordpad with windows has the same, if not similar feature. It took me five minuits flat to do it.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Pythagoras

Post by Pythagoras »

Well for what its worth, I'd be glad to look any scenario/campaign authors dialogue/story text and give feedback to help fine tune the language. PM me if interested.