New tutorial

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Viliam
Translator

less leaders please

Post by Viliam »

In new tutorial, how many leaders are there? 5? After each end of turn the screen jumps only to show that most of them do... nothing.

:idea: Suggestion:
Make the western elf and southers elves in tutorial not independent armies, but only additional (non-movable) units of the eastern elf ally. The units will stay on the map, but their castles will not gain focus each turn.

Anyway, somehow I preferred the smaller tutorial map. I mean, when someone plays the game first time in life... the less there in on screen, the better. The idea of appearing enemies, trying different units, etc, is very cool... but how about trying it on a smaller map? I could imagine something like a "zoom" on the current tutorial map - just a Konrad's castle, river, eastern ally, and a little path towards southeast where enemies appear...
telex4

Post by telex4 »

I think part of the idea is that the tutorial takes place on the first scenario's map, so that when you start playing the game you're familiar with it.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Viliam,
Great suggestion, becuase the blue and black elves never actually do anything besides talk occasionally, do they really need to be different colors. Even with fast scrolling, watching the AI bounce from leader to leader each turn, when they never do anything, does seem like a waste of time.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

A couple things I want to bring up. The tutorial says "they have little chance of hurting you while you're in a village" Perhaps this should be expanded to something like "They have little chance of hurting you while in a village because the village apothecary will heal you as much as he can"

I noticed that there is no day/night cycle in the turorial. The cycle is a very important part of Wesnoth's game mechanics and I think warrent's explaining. What if it was introduced into the tutorial and Delfador could say something like "It will soon be night. The god's favor evil forces at night, be wary!"
Lysander

Missing id's for tutorial dialogue

Post by Lysander »

Most of the dialogue messages in tutorial.cfg is lacking an id, which makes it impossible to translate them. I have included the output from make_translation.

Also, why is the original tutorial left out? It was perfectly playable, and I often played it when testing bugfixes, new features and translation changes. I think is a severe mistake to drop it entirely.
--Lysander--
Viliam
Translator

merging the tutorials

Post by Viliam »

:idea: How about this:
Make a 2 parts tutorial. The first part be the first part of the original tutorial. The second part be the current tutorial.

One reason is that too big map in tutorial would scare me as a beginner. I remember playing W for the first time; even that tutorial seemed too big and complicated to me (or maybe I am just too easy to be scared). And I remember that it seemed too difficult to me - before understanding some basic strategy (like that you do not need to defend villages - just kill the opponent and take them back); of course *now* it seems a piece of cake!

The other reason is that game should not *talk too much* at the beginning. Player wants to play, not read manuals - s/he can read the manual before playing W tutorial. To click Enter dozen times before one is allowed to create and move a unit, is very boring. Then, the second part of tutorial can explain some concepts deeper, because the player has already played a bit.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

one thing i noticed playing the first tutorial is it does not explain how to attack. this may be stupidity on my part, but it took me several turns to realize how to attack. before that, i thought you had to start out the turn next to an enemy to attack it. this could use a little clarification.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

turin wrote:one thing i noticed playing the first tutorial is it does not explain how to attack. this may be stupidity on my part, but it took me several turns to realize how to attack. before that, i thought you had to start out the turn next to an enemy to attack it. this could use a little clarification.
Took me some turns to understand that the ranged attack wasn't as ranged as i thought. It would be a good idea to implement an explanation to attacks.
Alfie

Wrong text in new tutorial

Post by Alfie »

message="Now a real test of your commanding skills: in the castle north-east of ours, a bandit leader is preparing to take Elven land. Help Galrad defeat this evil leader.
There are also Elvish friends of ours who want to help you (use right click and Unit List to find them).
You are now allowed to recruit all units. Good luck!"
But the Unit List isn't in the right click menu anymore, its only available in the main menu.

HTH & HAND,
Alfie