Campaign Preview: The North Wind

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

unsung

Post by unsung »

Dave wrote:Looks kinda interesting. I have thought for a while that although Wesnoth-like campaigns could be interesting with pre-set units and no mid-scenario recruiting, that the engine would have to support some more features for such campaigns to be interesting. However it'll be interesting to see how fun you can make it with the engine as-is.
dave did you ever try the campaign revenge? it is very interesting and you never recruit any uinits. you just get a few level two units at the strt of most scenario's and can recall vet units. I was wondering becuase it showe dthat it does work to never have recruitment.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

I enjoyed the start of the campaign, but for some reason several of the events were never triggered. I never saw the orcs coming out of the hills.

I sent Deoran north to the encampment before the ambush had been routed, perhaps that had something to do with it.

And the ford really wasn't obvious -- it's outside the encampment, perhaps you could rephrase the hint.
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
MRhe

Post by MRhe »

I really like the feel of the campaign so far, aelius. The way it is event-driven, the little things like the "death cries," the plot seems interesting. I also liked the South Guard quite a bit, so I'm sure this will be a continuation of your excellent work.

Very high production values in your campaigns...you recognize the importance of good story, dialogue, different and interesting ways in which the player can get involved in the story. Very cool.

Looking forward to the next scenario(s)!

P.S. It took me a while to check out the ford as well...
scott

Post by scott »

Here are the 24 schedule pictures. You may not 100% like the way the dusk and dawn pictures are positioned in the timeline, and if so you can let me know. I also included the "source" files.

Edit: here it is
Attachments
24hr-schedule.png
24hr-schedule.png (117.36 KiB) Viewed 4389 times
24hr-schedule.zip
(291.88 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
aelius

Post by aelius »

I'm trying to upload a revision to TNW to the campaign server now that hopefully fixes most of the issues with Whisperings in the North:

* It should now be easier to know where to look in the camp.
* Lots of internal event refiddling to make things cleaner and more stable.

Even though there's nothing new added yet, if I could get feedback about the following things, it'd really help me with the next scenario ("Shattered Spears"):

* At the end of the scenario, how many of your original band are alive?
* Have you managed to advance any of your original band?

Because there will be almost no recruiting or recalling in the scenario, it's going to be tricky to balance well, and a good idea of what people were leaving the first scenario with would help a lot.

Thanks, as always, for playing!

- b.

Scott,
Those are truly fantastic. I've added them to the campaign, and they really do add a lot to it. Thanks!

MRhe,
I'm glad you're enjoying it and liked the South Guard. Really, I enjoy map making and story telling, and I'm glad that is conveyed into the work.

ott,
I tried to duplicate that problem, and I couldn't... Maybe in 0.0.2 it's fixed? I've changed around a lot of under the hood stuff.

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Scott, I think these daytime pictures are much better than our current ones -- unlike the current ones with horizontal stripes of light, yours instead vary the light level across the horizon.

Aelius, will take a look at 0.0.2 and report back.
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

This was a very fun little scenario; a campaign made up on only these will be very interesting. :)

There's one thing that confuses me, though. When you kill the orcish leader unit, both factions of orcs disappear, and you win. That doesn't really make sense to me. Why not have only the units on the team whose leader was killed disappear, and the other orcs remain to attack you?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
aelius

Post by aelius »

turin wrote:There's one thing that confuses me, though. When you kill the orcish leader unit, both factions of orcs disappear, and you win. That doesn't really make sense to me. Why not have only the units on the team whose leader was killed disappear, and the other orcs remain to attack you?
I'm working on the WML for this very thing right now. The campaign server wasn't letting me upload (blast Error: connection timed out!), but I hope to have an improved 0.0.2 up soon that includes that improvement along with some others.

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

aelius wrote:
turin wrote:There's one thing that confuses me, though. When you kill the orcish leader unit, both factions of orcs disappear, and you win. That doesn't really make sense to me. Why not have only the units on the team whose leader was killed disappear, and the other orcs remain to attack you?
I'm working on the WML for this very thing right now. The campaign server wasn't letting me upload (blast Error: connection timed out!), but I hope to have an improved 0.0.2 up soon that includes that improvement along with some others.

- b.
Sounds good.

FYI, often "connection timed out" errors do not actually mean your campagn has not been uploaded. Sometimes the new version number is used after a CTO error. I'm still not sure exactly what's up with that.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

scott wrote:
aelius wrote:That's be outstanding! In the mean time, I'll change it to the second watch graphic.

Any ideas about the missing graphics?

- b.
Hmm, no. It worked fine when I restarted the game. Old news I guess.
That's how it often is when a user-made campaign introduces new units. You'll need to restart Wesnoth before starting.
scott

Post by scott »

I was finally able to upload through a connection timeout. The old CTOs occurred after a long pause. These new CTOs occur almost right away (no upload), but my last one was followed by a long pause (successful upload).
You might want to try it now.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
breversa

Post by breversa »

Hi Aelius !

Any news about The North Wind ? :)