A New Order.

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sandermatt

Re: A New Order.

Post by Sandermatt »

Is there any chance to keep veterans from the battle of barnon?
Amon

Post by Amon »

send units to the sign?
Sandermatt

Post by Sandermatt »

Amon wrote:
send units to the sign?
Thanks. Do you know this from experience, or is this an assumption?
Amon

Post by Amon »

experience, you can recall them in next scenario and in "separation" if you pick them, they will obviously follow Lady Lorin :p

I'm sure that it is even advised in "the battle of barnon" scenario's tips/objectives
Sandermatt

Post by Sandermatt »

Amon wrote:experience, you can recall them in next scenario and in "separation" if you pick them, they will obviously follow Lady Lorin :p

I'm sure that it is even advised in "the battle of barnon" scenario's tips/objectives
Thank you.
taptap

Post by taptap »

If you leave out the campaign tag from "Akladian Music" add on it wouldn't show up unnecessarily in the campaign selection.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
szopen

Post by szopen »

taptap wrote:If you leave out the campaign tag from "Akladian Music" add on it wouldn't show up unnecessarily in the campaign selection.
Thanks! I will modify that in the next release. You mean the campaign tag within _main.cfg, right?
"Even when the Slav is gay the effort is often evident" -- P. R. RADOSAVLJEVICH
szopen

Post by szopen »

version 1.2.9 is on the server.
* Added new portrait for Majid Yahyazad by Łukasz Zaręba, funded by Wussel
peet

Post by peet »

Hello there szopen!

I have recently come back to Wesnoth after not playing for a couple years and am delighted to see that my favourite UMC "A New Order" is not only still around but is still being maintained and is available to play in the current version.

Great job!

I just loaded it up, and I love the new sprites! The original sprites are certainly not up to the current standard of Wesnoth, and I'm glad that they are being updated. They look great; they preserve the feel of the original Akladians but fit into the look of Wesnoth animation. The new portraits look awesome too.

I actually contributed a little bit to this campaign in the period when you weren't maintaining it. I was the one who added the magical attack to the Holymen/Wondermen, which wasn't in the original. I also added the "Russian-sounding" names for the Aragwaithi name generator. Not sure if they're still in there. I also added an extra loyal unit in the second scenario, a Wiseman named "Orien" (I called him that because Orien was the name of the first wiseman I ever recruited) and he had a little speech explaining what wisemen were, and Lorin gave him a hard time about not being there when they needed him last scenario. It looks like that's gone now.

I actually found though that after the change, in scenarios where the AI Akladian players have access to Wondermen that they would recruit far too many of them, mainly it seemed to me that the ranged attack was the only one they had access to, and also because Arcane is one of the best damage types against Akladians. Not sure if you still have this problem (this was in previous versions), but it occurred to me that it would be fixable by either making it a melee attack, by removing the magical special, or by changing the damage type to slashing or piercing (you could just call it a "Slashing Ray" or "Piercing Light"). Wondering if you have thought about this. If you made it a melee attack you would have to get a new animation.

I am the sort of guy who likes to tweak things to suit himself, and when I played back in the old version I ended up giving Akladians 2 traits instead of 1, and I gave all the starting guys in the first scenario an extra trait to give them an extra trait to give them a bit more "personality." Unfortunately the storing procedure strips them of the second trait, which I recall took a very messy workaround to get past. Of course, I was never that good at WML. Since the scenarios only ever give them a single trait, stripping the second trait seems kind of redundant unless you are trying to keep people from tweaking the campaign for themselves, which is kind of against the Wesnoth philosophy. I am not suggesting that you rework it for the overall campaign, but can you think of a way I can easily allow 2 traits per stored character?

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Peet
szopen

Post by szopen »

peet wrote: I also added the "Russian-sounding" names for the Aragwaithi name generator. Not sure if they're still in there.
They are not, since we are having now Khalifate :)
I also added an extra loyal unit in the second scenario, a Wiseman named "Orien" (I called him that because Orien was the name of the first wiseman I ever recruited) and he had a little speech explaining what wisemen were, and Lorin gave him a hard time about not being there when they needed him last scenario. It looks like that's gone now.
Do you have the WML saved somewhere?
I am not suggesting that you rework it for the overall campaign, but can you think of a way I can easily allow 2 traits per stored character?
Sorry - I have no idea.

Thanks for your feedback!
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Hello szopen bro:
I have visitsed your thread for half a year, for more schools during that time. How's everything going here? :)
peet

Post by peet »

szopen wrote:
peet wrote: I also added the "Russian-sounding" names for the Aragwaithi name generator. Not sure if they're still in there.
They are not, since we are having now Khalifate :)
Too bad, since I liked the Aragwaith. But I have to play the newer version of the campaign now. I'm through to scenario 5 now.
I also added an extra loyal unit in the second scenario, a Wiseman named "Orien" (I called him that because Orien was the name of the first wiseman I ever recruited) and he had a little speech explaining what wisemen were, and Lorin gave him a hard time about not being there when they needed him last scenario. It looks like that's gone now.
Do you have the WML saved somewhere?
It was in the other ANO thread. But it's for an older version or Wesnoth, so you should check it. I put it into my version and the name didn't work right.

Here it is:

Code: Select all

[unit]
			description=Orien
			user_description=_"Orien"
			type=Akladian Wiseman
			x=7
			y=38
			unrenamable=yes
			[modifications]
				{TRAIT_LOYAL}
			[/modifications]
		[/unit]	
		[message]
			speaker=Orien
			message=_"My Lord! I am Orien of the Slaree clan. It would be my honour to be your wiseman."
		[/message]	
		[message]
			speaker=Gawen Hagarthen
			message=_"What is a wiseman?"
		[/message]
		[message]
			speaker=Orien
			message=_"You are young, and may not understand our ways.  It is traditional for a king to have a wiseman.  We have much knowledge and are always seeking more. This includes much about herblore; in battle we can help heal your wounded soldiers."
		[/message]	
		[message]
			speaker=Lady Lorin
			message=_"Where were you when we needed you? Gawen had been poisoned!  We would be better off with a wise WOMAN."
		[/message]
		[message]
			speaker=Orien
			message=_"With respect, lady, my skills would not have helped, as I do not possess the knowledge of how to cure poison, though it is knowledge that I do seek.  And you know as much as anyone that it is not the duty of an Akladian woman to be wise; only to support her family and raise strong children."
		[/message]	
		[message]
			speaker=Lady Lorin
			message=_"It is dangerous where we are going. The last thing we need is an old man who can't fight."
		[/message]
		[message]
			speaker=Orien
			message=_"It's true my strength is not what it once was. But my abilities are still useful. Don't let my age prevent me from serving my king faithfully."
		[/message]
		[message]
			speaker=Reme Carrenemoe
			message=_"It is tradition for a king to have a wiseman, Gawen. I don't see how it could hurt having him with us."
			image="portraits/reme.png"
		[/message]
		[message]
			speaker=Gawen Hagarthen
			message=_"All right, if you say so.  Orien, are there others like you?"
		[/message]
		[message]
			speaker=Orien
			message=_"Yes, my king. You will be able to recruit more wisemen if you wish. But they will expect more gold than a clanmember, because of their experience and knowledge."
		[/message]
		[message]
			speaker=Lady Lorin
			message=_"Enough discussion! The enemy is ahead. Let us crush them and be on our way to Vattin!"
		[/message]

Regards,
Peet
szopen

Post by szopen »

AxalaraFlame wrote:Hello szopen bro:
I have visitsed your thread for half a year, for more schools during that time. How's everything going here? :)
Everything quite fine, though I have not much time for the maintenance. I need to update french translation, put new better version of images and test the code sent by peet - i am sick now, so instead of being in bed doing nothing I guess I could made an update...

Post 2:
peet wrote: Too bad, since I liked the Aragwaith. But I have to play the newer version of the campaign now. I'm through to scenario 5 now.
Thanks a lot for the code. I will check it ASAP, which mean unfortunately not very soon...
Last edited by Crendgrim on October 15th, 2012, 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Everything quite fine, though I have not much time for the maintenance. I need to update french translation, put new better version of images and test the code sent by peet - i am sick now, so instead of being in bed doing nothing I guess I could made an update...
Oh really :o
Don't be too hard on yourself. We are wesnothians and we are rather patient in waiting the new release :wink:
Besides, the new unit graphs are made rather professionally. :D These portraits are really cool, but they must have screwed your wallet.

I cannot break scenerio4 anymore, but I will give more try. :P
Besides, I found that lv2 warriors are comparatively weaker than lv2 raiders and homeguards, 9-4 spear is suggested. Need to erase the firststrike for fastfoot as well, at least slicely nerf them down.

You mentioned to introduce "berserk" ability for raiders before. I designed a model for raider line, aiming to introduce cautious-berserk into them, predictably it could be too IMBA. But double-way berserkers can hardly survive till Lv3, even if they are Akaladians. So, my conclusion on introducing "berserk" into Akaladians is unrecommended.
gosh

Post by gosh »

I played your campaign. great work, really innovative..
in the end, why were those points allocated? i couldn't find any reference to it in the readme file. :whistle: