The Demon of our Ourselves [1.16]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fable_lake

The Demon of our Ourselves [1.16]

Post by fable_lake »

STORY

Two twin brothers, Avalion and Borin, summoned by the king of the Brown Hills, were ordered to create the colony on the far north to expand these lands, but they had no idea that their expedition would lead to the encounter of their destiny. Story in two chapters (19 scenarios).

WHAT TO EXPECT!

1 - Breathtaking story
2 - Detailed maps
3 - Interesting heroes
4 - Refined dialogues
5 - Great battles
6 - Four races to play
7 - Journey to long-forgotten place on the Irdya
8 - Dangerous enemies
9 - Five powerful artifacts to collect

FEEDBACK

I am waiting for your thoughts on the gameplay

The campaign is available from the wesnoth 1.14 and 1.16 add-ons page
Last edited by fable_lake on December 13th, 2021, 8:46 pm, edited 19 times in total.
shevegen

Re: The Demon Of Our Ourselves - FINAL [Wesnoth 1.14.15]

Post by shevegen »

I liked customized heroes and hero abilities. Always was fun to use them. I remember
some archer hero unit type that caused bleeding to units it hit the round before. That
was quite a fun style to have, including the animation to it.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I just downloaded and this.
I see a bug. The level 1 Dwarvish Runeadept has his XP to advance set to 69, the same as the Dwarvish Runesmith, it's level 2. Please fix this.

Edit: here is my feedback for the first 6 scenarios
Feedback

Code: Select all

# The Demon of Our Ourselves - Feedback

## Starting Impression
 - HUGE add-on size...Yikes. Maybe add a resource pack for the music, story images and portraits?
 - Dwarvish Campaign (at least it looks like one)
 - Good starting prose.
 - Has a large number of bugs for a 1.0.0 version

## Scenario 1
 - Good start
 - Variety of Dwarven units given, but NO healer type unit
 - Dwarvish Runeadept seems bugged. Max XP is set way too high.
 - Defeat Enemy Leader

## Scenario 2
 - Undead (with one side recruiting Ghouls)..I have no healer
 - Annalist leader has anti-poison..will do..but still no healer?
 - turn limit is not enough
 - So..loyal units..are loyal but are classed as hero units?
 - Why not just make them hero units?
 - Defeat Enemy Leaders 

## Scenario 3
 - Finally, Elvish Shamen healers!
 - Why not give them to me a scenario earlier?
 - Side 2 team name is Crimson City...but Label and dialog mention "Scarlett City"
 - Focused on XP farming
 - Defeat enemy Leader

## Scenario 4
 - Cool. XP farm.
 - I noticed you have added level 4 advancements to most units. Nice.
 - Goto scenario.

## Scenario 5
 - Very one-sided fight
 - I noticed the Elven Battle Prince's max XP is not assigned. This is a BUG.
 - Defeat enemy leaders (you're doing the same objective too much.)

## Scenario 6
 - Crelanu is still alive? Wut.
 - Giant attack animation is Bugged.
 - The Elven Battle Prince is weaker than the level 3 Elven High Lord. please fix this.
 - Orcs as enemies. Really not a fan of random-orc-enemies in a campaign.
 - Defeat enemy leaders (repetition sort of ruins the appeal of the campaign for me)
 - Big Battle Map
 - Level 4 of the Avalion seems to be lacking the resistance values of the level 3. Bug.
 - Maxed XP of most level 4 units seem to be "undefined". BUGS.
Before I continue playing, I really do hope you can patch up all the bugs with the unit advancements. Otherwise, I am left with a bad starting impression of this campaign.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
fable_lake

Post by fable_lake »

Hi Lord-Knightmare

I'm glad you are playing my campaign and thank you for reporting

Version 1.15.16 has just been released and it fixes the following bugs you mentioned

Detailed description here
Spoiler:
fable_lake

Post by fable_lake »

UPDATE

Hi everyone just released version 1.15.20 today. From now on, there should be no major problems in the game, and in the future, if I spot it or you report it to me about some bugs or other stuff, then I will make some smaller or larger updates.

Campaign can be downloaded from add-ons via wesnoth 1.14
Last edited by fable_lake on April 10th, 2021, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
fable_lake

Post by fable_lake »

Version 1.15.22 of the Campaing

Hi Everyone today I uploaded new version of the campaing. From now on, the player can collect five powerful artifacts during his journey through the northern lands. They are hidden in five different scenarios and each of them has very powerful properties. Description of the artifacts below
Spoiler:
Last edited by fable_lake on April 10th, 2021, 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hello, it's me again.

I have updated and I am just dropping off my continued feedback:
Feedback

Code: Select all

## Scenario 7
 - Cutscene

## Scenario 8
 - Nice scenario...
 - Bit too many one-hex chokepoints
 - Avalion's level 4 has both heals+4 and heals+8. Bug.
 - Gave the bow to a marksman hoping for a ranged upgrade..but it added an extra attack which got over-shadowed by the Sharpshooter's ranged attack. Bump.

## Scenario 9
 - Giant Spider spam? LOL
 - Welcome to the ranks of evil campaign designers. LOL
 - This scenario was chill since I had level 4 and level 3 mostly doing the stuff
 - I think I skipped the Spear/Staff thing here. 

## Scenario 10
 - Cutscene

## Scenario 11
 - Cutscene

## Scenario 12 - "Farewell"
 - I have just started this and saved on turn 1
 - Drian just got petrified for some reason and is still on my unit list on map.
The artifacts upgrade is a bit unfair since I missed the first 2, but got the 3rd and skipped the 4th. That only leaves the last 1 for me.

I am liking the story so far. It's unique from the usual things the community cooks up. However, one thing is that mid-scenario cutscene take really long since there are so many active characters present. However, due to the story-factor, it's allowable.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
fable_lake

Post by fable_lake »

Hi again Lord-Knightmare
Thanks for the another report

So I will list everything in points:
Spoiler:
UPDATE

So:
Spoiler:
makalu

Post by makalu »

Hi, interesting campaing, not very typical so far (3 scenarios). But given the style with few villages, 4 gold initial income, many 4lv units to upgrade and some 5s, I find it too limiting main unis have upkeep. Is it this way by design?
fable_lake

Post by fable_lake »

Hi makalu
Nice that you are playing my campaign
makalu wrote: April 13th, 2021, 9:07 am I find it too limiting main unis have upkeep. Is it this way by design?
Regarding the upkeep of heroic units, the answer is yes, that was the initial idea, but I don't know if this will change in the next updates. Anyway the campaign was tested along with it, and it did not interfere with the gameplay and campaign completion.
fable_lake

Post by fable_lake »

Important Announcement

Hello Everyone, version 1.16.14 has just been released
Everyone who has previously downloaded the campaign should download this update, because it introduces important changes to the mechanics of two scenarios: Farewell and Hope dies last

In general, I recommend that you download the released updates on a regular basis if you want to have the best experience with this campaign

To enjoy new versions of these two scenarios, you need to load them all over again

The campaign is available from the add-ons page via wesnoth 1.14

Enjoy the game
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hello fable_lake,
I've been playing your campaign and enjoying it a lot so far. I have gotten to the level gorge of the giants so far. I really enjoy playing with the additional dwarf units. Although it feels a bit overhelming getting all these different units right at the start. Also some of the new units feel redundant like the scout and the ram rider lines. Maybe restricting some new unit lines to hero units could make the stand out more, as they are a bit bland beeing the standard fighter and scout unit. Or maybe you could do a little introduction into the new dwarvish units when they are first recruited.

Also the healer type lvl2 unit you can get by leveling up the fighter seems a bit misplacen to me. Also, since you get elves pretty soon and your leader is also a healer and you can also get the healing ability potion, I don't feel like this unit is needed.

Regarding the potion, I used it on the elvish sorceress. But it disapeared after 2 scenarios. Is that supposed to be the case? She still had the halo and the abilities in the father and son scenario, but in the gorge of the giants, she lost it. Maybe it's a bug, if it isn't, you should probably tell the player somehow that the effect is limited.

Wesnoth can't find the image path to the ramrider's attack animation. The same goes for the Stoneborns attack animation.

Hope you can take care of these issues!
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
fable_lake

Post by fable_lake »

Hi Paulomat4
Nice to see you play my campaign, Thanks for the detailed feedback
Paulomat4 wrote: April 15th, 2021, 1:35 pm I really enjoy playing with the additional dwarf units. Although it feels a bit overhelming getting all these different units right at the start. Also some of the new units feel redundant like the scout and the ram rider lines.
Yes, from the very beginning I gave the player control over a large number of dwarven units, which means that the player has a lot of possibilities for planning the battle. For example, I only tested some units with their next levels until the second testing of the campaign.
Paulomat4 wrote: April 15th, 2021, 1:35 pm Maybe restricting some new unit lines to hero units could make the stand out more, as they are a bit bland beeing the standard fighter and scout unit.
Yes, the main characters Fundin and Drian have certain classic units, but the classics are great after all.
Additional dwarven units such as Ram Riders are supposed to show, in a sense, the characteristics of the Brown Hills, which are ultimately a kingdom within the hills. The purpose of additional units is to give the player a choice, and most importantly, he doesn't have to spam with one type of fighter.
Paulomat4 wrote: April 15th, 2021, 1:35 pm Or maybe you could do a little introduction into the new dwarvish units when they are first recruited.
This is a great idea, I'll be happy to try to think of something.
Paulomat4 wrote: April 15th, 2021, 1:35 pm Also the healer type lvl2 unit you can get by leveling up the fighter seems a bit misplacen to me. Also, since you get elves pretty soon and your leader is also a healer and you can also get the healing ability potion, I don't feel like this unit is needed.
As for the dwarven medic, it is also a completely optional and prototype unit without a specialized promotion path, it is simply supposed to give a feeling of the vastness of the player's decisions over his moves. His characteristic feature and distinguishing him from other medics and dwarves is his ability to poison.
Paulomat4 wrote: April 15th, 2021, 1:35 pm Regarding the potion, I used it on the elvish sorceress. But it disapeared after 2 scenarios. Is that supposed to be the case? She still had the halo and the abilities in the father and son scenario, but in the gorge of the giants, she lost it. Maybe it's a bug, if it isn't, you should probably tell the player somehow that the effect is limited.
This is definitely a bug. I am a bit surprised because during the campaign tests (And there were a lot of them) I missed it. I will check it out, but in my case this potion stuck to the unit I gave it through all the scenarios.
Paulomat4 wrote: April 15th, 2021, 1:35 pm Wesnoth can't find the image path to the ramrider's attack animation. The same goes for the Stoneborns attack animation.
Strange that it can't find their animations, I wonder what the reason is, I will take a look at it.
fable_lake

Post by fable_lake »

Attention!

The campaign has been temporarily removed from the add-ons page and will not be available for a little. This is due to changes and intense gameplay testing. The campaign will be available for download again later.
Last edited by fable_lake on April 17th, 2021, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Have you ever wondered whose fault it is and then it turns out it was you?
I think I found the reason for the bug. I was using a campaign mod I wrote myself a few years ago and it turns out that was what removed the item. I'm not quite sure how the bug works, but i have an idea. Anyway, it probably has nothing to do with you campaign. I'm sorry i led you on a false lead there.

Anyway, I'm continuing the campaign.
I'm wondering a bit about the dwarvish ravager, it has less hp than it's level 3 variant. Felt weird when Borin dropped from ~65 hp to 53 from an advancement.

Also I like the way you draw your maps, they feel less "flat" than maps in many other campaigns.

Greetings,
Paulomat4
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl