Heir to Throne in Easy mode

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Feldegast

Post by Feldegast »

A few comments:

"A Choice Must Be Made" is way too easy, no matter what units you choose. It can be a bit risky to not recall any Mages, because if the south undead sends several Blood Bats, they can pose a threat to a weaker unit like Delfador. But with the aid of maybe three recalled units, in particular Great Mages, it can be finished in around 7 turns as Kamahawk mentions.

------

I admit, the first scenario can be confusing as the player must spend a lot of time watching the computer units move over the map. It should be easy to move Konrad to the north-west, though. A more experienced player will engage Elven Fighters, Archers and a Shaman to the north or north-west and get some XP for the next scenario.

------

Not knowing what units may be helpful in later scenarios adds some bit of fun. Of course it is a good idea to train a multitude of different units (also Mermen and Dwarfs) just in case they might be useful later.

-----

"A Mountain Pass" has been rebalanced in 0.6/0.6.1 and was much harder in earlier versions. The player doesn't need to kill both enemy mages. It's easy to kill the south one quickly, though, while moving the other half of your units up the pass to the north mage.

------

Much of "getting starting" means to become familiar with the units, their attributes and terrain modifiers and to pay attention to the attributes of recruited units. Don't waste experience points on units you don't want to train and keep. For instance, it is worthwhile to keep many "loyal" units which are cheaper in scenarios where you don't have much income. It's also good to train some "quick" units, even if they are weaker than normal. A slow but strong Fighter type is almost useless in Caves unless you use back him up with a group of other units.
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

Someother things to keep in mind, when Konrad levels he will get traits, its probebly best to save before he levels or you could end up with some fairly useless ones.

Good traits for Konrad: Quick(So usefull in walking levels) , Strong, Resistant
Bad traits for Konrad: Loyal (Hes technicaly allready loyal), Intelegant (all he will do is get to level 3 a little bit faster and then its useless)

Toataly unrealated stuff:
Feldegast wrote:"A Choice Must Be Made" is way too easy, no matter what units you choose. It can be a bit risky to not recall any Mages, because if the south undead sends several Blood Bats, they can pose a threat to a weaker unit like Delfador. But with the aid of maybe three recalled units, in particular Great Mages, it can be finished in around 7 turns as Kamahawk mentions.
Check out my replay, no recruited units AND finished in 7 turns. I got 6 turns when I recruited ONE great mage :D .
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
methinks

Post by methinks »

Kamahawk wrote:By the way have you seen the sugestions I made for changing "A Choice Must Be Made"? Its in the string: http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... sc&start=0
(wich Methinks locked down :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: )
I do not want to be felt like an evil folk that runs up and down the board randomly locking things down, moving threads or whatnot. It is matter of keeping discussion where it belongs and now here is place for posting suggestions or discussing about how should this game look like on EASY, and about EASY mode you were talking, so... ;)

============================

k8to:
Hi, welcome to our forum!

I see your point and I was also thinking about first level being a bit overwhelming, but this goeas to all level difficulties. Of course it is rather easy level as long as you know you better recruit a few bodyguards and simply run. More experinced players can even level up their troops there.

Also, the fact that game is made so that you may loose some troops and play further could be stated. Like when first unit dies Konrad cries for loss and Defaldor says that this is the price of freedom they ar efighting for.

I encourage you to play game more and post any suggestions/ideas you come up with!
-Adam
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

methinks wrote:
Kamahawk wrote:By the way have you seen the sugestions I made for changing "A Choice Must Be Made"? Its in the string: http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... sc&start=0
(wich Methinks locked down :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: )
I do not want to be felt like an evil folk that runs up and down the board randomly locking things down, moving threads or whatnot. It is matter of keeping discussion where it belongs and now here is place for posting suggestions or discussing about how should this game look like on EASY, and about EASY mode you were talking, so... ;)
:oops: Sorry about that, I posted it before I got your message. I was a little angry because locked topics sink to the bottom of the forum and I had put some important sugestions in there...

Also :evil: can be "Evil" or "Very Mad" I was useing it as mad.

P.S. Please, I'm all for having topics put in thier respective places. It realy ticks me off when people keep posting bugs in the developers fourm.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
miyo

Post by miyo »

Kamahawk wrote:P.S. Please, I'm all for having topics put in thier respective places. It realy ticks me off when people keep posting bugs in the developers fourm.
Methinks will put those msgs on their rightful places in future, right? Even if that means splitting the thread.

- Miyo

ps. oops... I have the rights so I should also be doing it... ermmmm *grin*
k8to

Post by k8to »

k8to:
Hi, welcome to our forum!
Thanks! It's all written as _very_ raw feedback, ignore it, disprove it, whatever, it's all good by me.
I see your point and I was also thinking about first level being a bit overwhelming, but this goeas to all level difficulties. Of course it is rather easy level as long as you know you better recruit a few bodyguards and simply run. More experinced players can even level up their troops there.
I agree, in some ways it is a very simple scenario, and the first time I played it I stumbled through just fine. More recently I tried again with attempting to level some troops and a single troll snuck up to Konrad and killed him in one turn. :-( I think this was perhaps a brutal lesson in the necessity of protecting the leader.

On the third play, I was most frustrated with my "allies" poaching all my experience kills. ;-)
Also, the fact that game is made so that you may loose some troops and play further could be stated. Like when first unit dies Konrad cries for loss and Defaldor says that this is the price of freedom they ar efighting for.

I encourage you to play game more and post any suggestions/ideas you come up with!
I think my main problem is that I come to this game from a heavy RPG background where the driving concept is the sense of accomplishment and progress, where losing experienced troops (characters) is not generally acceptable, and feels like failure. I'm not sure this sensibility is at all compatable with a game like Wesnoth. It may sound ludicrous to you, but I actually compiled my own copy of the binary (~/bin/wesnoth-easy) that cuts computer-inflicted damage to 75% of normal. With this, and some planning, I can at least save the troops I care about usually.
methinks

Post by methinks »

HI!
I hate allies that give final blows to the enemys I've wounded too :)

There is really no reason in cutting down damage, game is to be played as it is. If you loose some troops later scenarios expect that you will loose them. In effect later scenarios will become ridiculously easy to you.
-Adam
miyo

Post by miyo »

methinks wrote:I hate allies that give final blows to the enemys I've wounded too :)
Use this information for your benefit - let your allies do the weakening of enemies and use your units to finish them. It is matter of strategy and locating your units.

- Miyo
ziberpunk

Post by ziberpunk »

KK_r wrote:
The gryphon mauntain can be tough if you havn't leveled enough units, maube needs to be a little easyer, maybe.
Yes, I think it's a bit hard, considering that previous scenario is Valley of Death. I'll make it a bit easier
ziberpunk

Post by ziberpunk »

Kamahawk wrote: By the way have you seen the sugestions I made for changing "A Choice Must Be Made"? Its in the string: http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... sc&start=0
Yes, I've seen them, but I don't want to change scenario map just for easy mode. Perhaps it should be changed in all modes though. :wink:
ziberpunk

Post by ziberpunk »

About first scenario, I also think it can be a bit impressive for the newcomer, so maybe we could make north-west leader a bit weaker and north-east leader a bit stronger. This way it would be a bit easier for the newcomer but you could still get XP with north-east leader. What do you think?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

ziberpunk wrote:
Kamahawk wrote: By the way have you seen the sugestions I made for changing "A Choice Must Be Made"? Its in the string: http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... sc&start=0
Yes, I've seen them, but I don't want to change scenario map just for easy mode. Perhaps it should be changed in all modes though. :wink:
How about I or jzaun (the original designers) make changes to the last few scenarios first, and then once that's done, you can tweak it for easy level?

---

An idea for making easy mode a little less intimidating is to add an extra story segment at the start, where Konrad does a few 'in training' missions before being attacked by the Orcs. That way he has the chance to get a few veteran units, and for players to get used to things before being put up against the somewhat intimidating scenario 1.

---

A potential problem I see with making 'easy' easier is that it will broaden the difficulty gap between 'easy' and 'normal'. That will make it difficult for players who have played 'easy' to ever move up to harder levels.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

ziberpunk wrote:Yes, I've seen them, but I don't want to change scenario map just for easy mode. Perhaps it should be changed in all modes though. :wink:
Um, I meant those as general map changes, not just for easy, that level could be a good one for useing mermen and as it is there are not to many of those.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

For the 1st scenario some kind of large blinking sign arrows could be shown to the player at the start of every other turn (or just 3 turns and the start and last 10 turns) just pointing the crossroad...
just a large define adding and removing [item] tags ...
ziberpunk

Post by ziberpunk »

Dave wrote:
How about I or jzaun (the original designers) make changes to the last few scenarios first, and then once that's done, you can tweak it for easy level?
Yes, this would be the best solution I think
Dave wrote:
An idea for making easy mode a little less intimidating is to add an extra story segment at the start, where Konrad does a few 'in training' missions before being attacked by the Orcs. That way he has the chance to get a few veteran units, and for players to get used to things before being put up against the somewhat intimidating scenario 1.
I think that this could be solved with another tutorial scenario explaining special abilities, recalling, how units level up and so.
Dave wrote:
A potential problem I see with making 'easy' easier is that it will broaden the difficulty gap between 'easy' and 'normal'. That will make it difficult for players who have played 'easy' to ever move up to harder levels.
Yes, that's true, so it can be a good idea that of having 5 difficulty modes while having only 3 for each scenario.