Campaign idea with a variety of difficulties

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lordlewis

Campaign idea with a variety of difficulties

Post by Lordlewis »

So earlier today I was thinking of a way to make a Wesnoth campaign have very different levels of difficulty. This campaign is designed to have incredibly different difficulties. The four gamemodes will be, simple, intriguing, vexing and arduous. All difficulties will have 100% xp multiplier. I don't really plan on making this as I am working on another project and don't have the skills to do these things. Most of these things are WML and Lua related, but since it's a scenario I decided to post it here. I imagine most of these could be achieved by creating new units, traits and abilities entirely.

These are the differences in difficulty, they do not include different levels or numbers of units that are fought or the amount of gold a side has. Each difficulty will have roughly the same amount of gold for the player but varying upkeep and income.
Simple: Increased amount of xp for attacking and defeating foes for the player's side, 6 xp for lvl 0, 12 xp for lvl 1, 24 xp for lvl 2 and so on adding plus half of the xp to the original number.
Quick trait will no longer reduce max health, intelligent units will decrease xp needed by 25% instead. Strong will increase hp by 2 instead, resilient will increase hp by 2 per lvl instead of 1, dextrous increases ranged damage by 2 and healthy increases the amount of max health by 2 per lvl.
Leaders and important characters cannot die from a single unit in a single turn. This includes enemy leaders, this can be beneficial to get a certain unit to level up easier.
Units need 25% less xp for AMLA.
Player cannot lose more than 6 gold a turn due to upkeep.
If an important unit falls in battle, the game will not be over and they will be aviliable next scenario.
Units heal 4 hp for not taking an action and 1 hp for not attacking per turn.
There is a chance for any unit to gain the loyal trait upon being recruited.
Units can heal and get cured on the same turn.
All villages near the player's starting position will be claimed as theirs.
Quick units cannot be slowed.
Healthy units cannot be poisoned.
Unit will not lose movement points while discovering a hidden unit.
Marksman has a 60% chance to hit always.

Intriguing: Everything is normal, like a standard campaign will little challenge.
Some villages near the player's starting position will be claimed as theirs.

Vexing: Units gain no xp from attacking any level of unit, but still gain normal amounts of xp for defeating them.
Quick trait decreases max health by 10% instead of 5%, strong no longer increases max health, healthy does not increase amount of max health increased per lvl, intelligent units will need 10% less xp to lvl up instead of 20% have 5% less hp points and resilient units gain 2 max hp and 1 per lvl up.
If hit with slow, unit's defense drops by 10%.
If a poisoned unit is left at 1 hp for 3 turns, they will die.
Units will not gain 2 hp after not taking an action.
No unit can be loyal or fearless.
Unit loses all movement points while using teleport, but can still attack.
Attacks from drain health half damage dealt rounding up.

Arduous: Units gain no xp from attacking any level of unit and all xp gain is cut in half.
Quick trait decreases max health by 15% instead of 5%, strong no longer increases max health, healthy does not increase amount of max hp at all, intelligent units will need 10% less xp to lvl up instead of 20% and have 10% less hp points and resilient units gain 1 max hp and 1 per lvl up.
Units with slow effect cannot move, do 1/4 of the original damage and has 20% less defense.
Units with poison effect will die the next turn if hp is set to 1 due to poison.
Village healing is cut in half but can still cure.
Units with cure ability can only cure one unit at a time but can heal 8 hp to a single unit. If this unit heals multiple units it will distribute the health healed, e.g. 4 units surrounding the healer get healed 2 hp.
Leadership increases damage dealt by 15%, but enemies with leader ship deal an extra 40%.
Feeding ability heals unit 8 hp and increases max hp by 2, note that the player will not have any units with feeding ability.
Illuminate has no affect against enemy alignment.
Every unit's upkeep is doubled.
Any unit on any side cannot AMLA.
No unit can be loyal or fearless.
Units can be plagued while on a village.
Undead units and enemy units with quick trait cannot be slowed.
Any unit with heal ability but no cure ability cannot stop poison from taking effect.
Unit loses all movement points while using teleport, but can still attack.
Player's unit's weaknesses are doubled (optional).
Attacks from drain heal 2/3 rounded up.
Marksman has a 50% chance to hit offensively.
Magical has a 70% chance to hit offensively for every side.
Backstab has a chance to poison, chance = Movement Points x 8.
Unit that initiates beserk takes 1/4 less damage.
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
Heindal

Re: Campaign idea with a variety of difficulties

Post by Heindal »

You can do so easily either using the standard "difficulty" function in the main.cfg or by making an option in the first scenario, using flexible standard variables. I played with the first concept in Trapped and Five Fates and with the second concept in Strange Legacy, just in case you need some inspiration or source code.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Lordlewis

Re: Campaign idea with a variety of difficulties

Post by Lordlewis »

I might look into sometime in the future. I'm also curious if anyone would consider the last difficulty a challenge if it were in any campaign. The campaign would be roughly 10 scenarios long, so that might be the right amount of someone were to attempt all difficulties.
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!