WF - Wild Frontiers [SP Campaign]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vghetto

Re: WF - Wild Frontiers [SP Campaign]

Post by vghetto »

The pilgrims are small group of mages that travel towards the altar. They behave like market caravans.
I add the bonus description and the number left for antagonizing. You can see the bonus description when you select the quest faction report.
farm bug: fixed, but you can still get around it by letting the animals capture some villages.
relic bug: changed it to say extra strikes for clarity, there is an extra attacks item in the market. It's called eye of the dragon.
About the diplomacy mission, I used the prisoner to burn down 5 and rebuilt those :/
weewah

Post by weewah »

vghetto wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 2:22 am
farm bug: fixed, but you can still get around it by letting the animals capture some villages.
Why not just have it based on the total number of villages on the map instead of the number of currently owned villages?
vghetto wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 2:22 am
About the diplomacy mission, I used the prisoner to burn down 5 and rebuilt those :/
Ok, but that's really wrong isn't it? The mission asks you to build more farms, and yet the way to complete it is by burning down your farms and rebuilding them so you still have the same number of farms in the end? :roll:

If building roads is too easy as an alternative mission, how about making it "level up 5 units"? The kingdom always needs more strong warriors for its defence.
vorwi

Post by vorwi »

weewah wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 6:22 am
Edit2:

One of the loyalist diplomacy missions is building more farms. With the new limit on farms, this can cost thousands of gold to complete. How about changing it to building many roads instead of farms?
Thats why i hate limits in games. It brings weird problems.

Missions in general are working weird here. I would understand if it was something like bounty for someones head but its not. It is mostly a relation missions so why wont they take in count what we did from the start? For example:
elves wants us to plant some trees -> we plant them -> mission completed -> they dont care that we cut down every tree on the map before
OR
loyalists want us to build farms but we already built a lot of them. It just doesnt make sense but it is still fun to play.
imo in that kind of a missions they should care about things that we already did
However lua code is a little magic for me so maybe all of that is because of lua posibilities.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

weewah wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 8:35 am Why not just have it based on the total number of villages on the map instead of the number of currently owned villages?
In case the player had an edge farm that got captured and no longer cares about. It didn't seem fair to include that in the limit.
weewah wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 8:35 am Ok, but that's really wrong isn't it? The mission asks you to build more farms, and yet the way to complete it is by burning down your farms and rebuilding them so you still have the same number of farms in the end? :roll:
Next upload will allow for farm mushrooms and yields to count towards the goal.

Do you have any replays that I can look at before uploading the next version?
vorwi wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 10:43 am Thats why i hate limits in games. It brings weird problems.
They are soft limits, the game is still unlimited at a cost. :/
vorwi wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 10:43 am Missions in general are working weird here. ...
Yes they are a little weird, but that is how they got proposed to be in the beginning (might have been by OTna) and ended up being.
I don't think I'll be changing that. I think they are working out well.
vorwi wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 10:43 am However lua code is a little magic for me so maybe all of that is because of lua posibilities.
Lua use in WF is very limited, most of the game logic is in WML that you can check out.
You can ask about any part of the code if you'd like to maintain your own version with custom changes :)
weewah

Post by weewah »

Here's a replay on WF 2.0.0, Wesnoth 1.14.14.
WF-A New Beginning replay.gz
(280.02 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Managed to get all 48 farms in the first season since I threw out book of fungi in favor of starting gold.
WF-Summer of Dreams replay.gz
(334.94 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
WF-Autumn of Gold replay.gz
(359.55 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
WF-Winter of Storms Turn 23 2.gz
(555.43 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
The main difference caused by the severe shortage of farms was that I now had to carefully ensure my unit upkeep didn't exceed the farm limit. You can see all the little javelineers I made just so that I wouldn't get a bunch of level 3s that wreck my gold.

Tunnels are a real lifesaver here, since I had relatively few units and had to get them everywhere.

I reached rank 3 in the first year, and can probably get rank 5 in the second year, but at the moment there isn't much incentive to do so since the higher rank rewards don't exist yet. :P
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Thanks for the replays, they are valuable as always. And very intense :lol:

The lighthouse does not control the pilgrims movement. They were on the move. You couldn't see them with the fog.
I changed the number of pilgrims spawned to be a constant 5 per season instead of 3-5. Each would pay around 10 to 20 gold.

I'm allowing Gryphons and riders to burn buildings/farms from now on.
weewah wrote: March 25th, 2021, 5:56 pm I reached rank 3 in the first year, and can probably get rank 5 in the second year, but at the moment there isn't much incentive to do so since the higher rank rewards don't exist yet. :P
I'm spreading out the recruiting buildings among the ranks. I also increased the rank for training and free allied help.

These sound reasonable:
Spoiler:
What was your overall enjoyment with the changes? Did you have fun? Good, meh, worse?
weewah

Post by weewah »

• Tunnels are great for gameplay, but quite annoying in terms of the Wesnoth UI. If I want to move an army across a tunnel, I need to repeatedly move the map to the tunnel entrance, select a unit, move the map to the tunnel exit, click a hex for the unit to move to, and then start all over again, once for each unit in the army.

Not really sure how this can be addressed. Might not even need to because Wesnoth 1.15 allows more zoom settings than Wesnoth 1.14.
  • I miss using mushrooms. At 10 gold per mushroom, it seems completely pointless to ever eat a mushroom unless a high level unit would die otherwise. Can mushroom cost be reduced by 2 gold for every rank up? So a rank 6 city can use mushrooms for free and wreck enemies with mushroom spam?
  • Same for training xps, I basically never ever train anymore. It never seems worth it compared to just antagonizing more enemies and killing them for xp. It would be nice to reduce the training costs with every rank up.

Two more suggestions here: First, allow trainings to be enabled/disabled independently for each training building. I would like my blacksmith to offer training, but not my library because my hero is busy diplomancing and spymastering there and sure as heck doesn't want 1 xp of training for 11 gold. My hero barely even sees combat in the first place! What is that xp for?!

Second, at the end of each turn, if the training costs are not 0, have a message saying: "Trainings for this turn will cost X gold. Should we proceed?" And give the option to disable the trainings for this turn.
  • Scouting is a big problem. I don't have enough units to form a decent perimeter around my farms. Wolves and Gryphons and their riders can spawn and then steal a village before I even see them.

It will be even worse once you allow gryphons to burn buildings.

Best plan seems to be recruiting a bunch of level 0s to scout the area around your farms, which I could do I suppose...
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

weewah wrote: March 26th, 2021, 4:05 pm Tunnels...
No change here.
weewah wrote: March 26th, 2021, 4:05 pm I miss using mushrooms. At 10 gold per mushroom ...
I've reduced the cost to 5 when fungi bonus is unlocked.
The cost becomes 0 when you reach rank 5 and you have the fungi bonus.
weewah wrote: March 26th, 2021, 4:05 pm Same for training xps...
You'll be able to specify which units enroll for training by getting the unit over to the building and right-clicking on them. By default the unit won't receive training even if overall training is enabled.
weewah wrote: March 26th, 2021, 4:05 pm Wolves and Gryphons and their riders can spawn and then steal a village before I even see them.
I'm keeping side 4 and side 8 gryphon burning, (wreak havoc)
side 4 wolves can burn already btw.
weewah

Post by weewah »

I DO NOT LIKE WILD GUARDIAN WOLVES.

My loyal unit got wrecked by a bunch of guardian wolves on turn 13 by wandering too close to them, EVEN THOUGH I NEVER EVEN SAW THEM.

One moment my loyal unit is happily exploring a peaceful land, then I end the turn and a bunch of wolves jump out of nowhere and kill it! :x On turn 13! I haven't even recruited anything but peasant workers yet!
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Sorry about that, I'll push back guardian wolves spawning further.

The game will start with one of these at random: guardian tuskers, guardian ogres and custom guardian.
How does that sound?

The custom faction is:
Leader is 1 out of these, Orcish Leader,Sergeant,Goblin Rouser.
And six recruits out of these: Peasant,Ruffian,Woodsman,Goblin Spearman,Mermaid Initiate

Same for the ogres and tuskers.
1 Ogre + 6 Young Ogre
1 Tusker + 6 Tusklets
ElderDays

Post by ElderDays »

Noob question, is there a way to demolish your own structures?
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Sure, rogue mages and dark adepts can be used to destroy mountains and other things.
You'll get the rogue mages when you build a second library, and dark adepts when you build the third.
You can also get rogue mages by completing loyalists quests, and dark adepts by completing undead quests.
You start the game with a prisoner who is a dark adept :)
dolorousedd

Post by dolorousedd »

Just curious, is it possible to introduce a global map and visit/trade/attack other factions' stronghold? Or just branch out and expand your own fief?
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

dolorousedd wrote: April 4th, 2021, 1:51 am Just curious, is it possible to introduce a global map and visit/trade/attack other factions' stronghold?
For now, we have the map signs missions (free hostage, fight leader), the hidden cave and the indoor mission.
I might integrate Ultimate_Random_Maps for the map sign missions, not sure yet.
dolorousedd wrote: April 4th, 2021, 1:51 am Or just branch out and expand your own fief?
Expanding the fief was one of my goals. Code-wise it's not as easy as it sounds. Don't hold your breath on this one.

Edit: Next version will support URM. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=34973
Install URM if you want to have the extra maps. WF will still work without it but you won't get the extra maps.
URM is not available on 1.15 :(
SirT

Post by SirT »

[quote=vghetto post_id=663897 time=1617192646 user_id=191990
You can also get rogue mages by completing loyalists quests, and dark adepts by completing undead quests.
You start the game with a prisoner who is a dark adept :)
[/quote]

Yes, You can start the game with Ardonna as your free dark adept prisoner. She is of the campaign "Secrets of the Ancients" and an enjoyable character in her own right. When I leveled her up to 3rd level, she immediately raised undead and threatened me if I didn't release her. A waste of time and XP to raise her level beyond 1. Besides one of my favorite characters betrayed me... :cry: :cry: :cry: lol