Publishing a 120MB campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Spannerbag

Publishing a 120MB campaign

Post by Spannerbag »

Hiya,
I've finally finished my campaign and I am trying to publish it, but the upload fails.

This is my very first campaign and I'm completely new to uploading add-ons.
The add-on looks fine in the upload "preview": the icon (a data uri) works OK and everything else seems present and correct.
The system asks me to confirm the copyright details and I click OK. It has a brief think, the screen does something (but too quick to make out) then it disconnects.

The issue (I think) is that it's too big: the entire campaign is just over 120MB of which 107MB is music.
Am I right? Is 120MB too much for the add-on server to swallow?

As the music itself is >100MB (which I understand is the current limit) I cannot just hive off the music, I need to merge (I guess) two [music] directories: one that comes with the campaign and a dependency that adds additional music in the same directory.
Is this possible and if so, could someone please give me an example of how to configure _server.pbl and _main.cfg for the additional music?

I've spent ages debugging and playtesting the campaign and I really don't to change the WML and re-test if I can avoid it so any guidance would be greatly appeciated. In case you're curious, there's a lot of music because various groups have their own themes...

Thanks in advance for your time and trouble, it's appreciated!

Cheers,
Spannerbag
SP Campaigns: After EI (v1.14) Leafsea Burning (v1.17, v1.16)
I suspect the universe is simpler than we think and stranger than we can know.
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Publishing a 120MB campaign

Post by Pentarctagon »

Just in general, it's good practice to separate things that take up a lot of disk space but are unlikely to frequently change into one or more separate dependencies. Otherwise people would need to redownload the entire campaign even for just fixing a typo.

As for your questions specifically, there's no problem with having the music split into two other dependencies. You just need to make sure to include them with [binary_path] in your _main.cfg.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

Hi Pentarctagon,
Thanks for the swift reply!
Pentarctagon wrote: November 2nd, 2019, 5:54 pm Just in general, it's good practice to separate things that take up a lot of disk space but are unlikely to frequently change into one or more separate dependencies. Otherwise people would need to redownload the entire campaign even for just fixing a typo.

As for your questions specifically, there's no problem with having the music split into two other dependencies. You just need to make sure to include them with [binary_path] in your _main.cfg.
OK, so as I'm a bit dim, can I break this down a bit?

So what I need to do is
i) split the music into 2 chunks of ~50+ MB each
Would having 2 music subdirectories work? (e.g. [music] and [music2]?)
ii) add [binary_path] entries to _main.cfg so that WML does not need changing?

I can easily test these first 2 steps in my campaign (if stuff in [music2] plays OK it's worked).

Then I need to hive these off into a separate add-on, which is where I get consufed.
I can add the dependency in the main ("parent"?) campaign to include the music if required but I am unclear how to actually hive off the music directories into a separate add-on (as I say, I'm totally new to this).

Again, aplogies for being dim!

Cheers,
Spannerbag
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I would say to create two music pack add-ons, named say My Music Pack 1 and My Music Pack 2. Add both those as dependencies to your campaign add-on, and also in the campaign's _main.cfg add them with [binary_path]:

Code: Select all

[binary_path]
	path=data/add-ons/My_Music_Pack_1
[/binary_path]
[binary_path]
	path=data/add-ons/My_Music_Pack_2
[/binary_path]
Adding [binary_path] will make it so that Wesnoth will also look in the My_Music_Pack_1/music and My_Music_Pack_2/music directories when trying to find what song to play.
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

Hi again,
Pentarctagon wrote: November 2nd, 2019, 6:11 pm I would say to create two music pack add-ons, named say My Music Pack 1 and My Music Pack 2....
Many thanks for your time (and patience!).

I've split the music into add-ons (AfterEIMusic1 and AfterEIMusic2) and this works :D
I've also (hopefully) created correct _server.pbl and _main.cfg files for these add-ons.

In the "parent" campaign's _server.pbl, what do I put in dependencies=? Just the top-level directories?

I.e. is dependencies=AfterEIMusic1,AfterEIMusic2 what's needed?

Cheers,
Spannerbag
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Correct. If your add-on is at data/add-ons/AfterEIMusic1, then you would have AfterEIMusic1 as the dependency.
Spannerbag

Re: Publishing a 120MB campaign *RESOLVED*

Post by Spannerbag »

Pentarctagon wrote: November 2nd, 2019, 7:25 pm Correct. If your add-on is at data/add-ons/AfterEIMusic1, then you would have AfterEIMusic1 as the dependency.
Many thanks, I tried that anyway and it worked (unusual for me for things to work first time :doh: ).
Heh, I've got my life back!

Many thanks again for getting me over the line :D

Cheers,
Spannerbag