Multiplayer maps are horrible ...

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Arael

Multiplayer maps are horrible ...

Post by Arael »

Am I wrong or there is only 7 level (+ random) to play on?

The Isle of Aduin - nice, but IMHO not very playable.

The Tree Rivers - the best, but could be much better.

Princess's Battlefield - down-left corner have worse position. Vilages are at the other side of river.

And that's it? Other maps are for more than 2 players when most of games are 1 on 1. We tried to play 1 on 1 on 1 (AI) but maps for more than 2 players are not better. Shouldn't be there somewhere button called "randomize map" for random map?

I'm looking for maps to download or maybe map editor :) ?
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Wesnoth comes with a map editor
yawningdog

Post by yawningdog »

What about "I think multiplayer maps need some work" instead of "multiplayer maps are horrible"? Just in case you forgot, you are getting this game for Free, so you should be grateful to have multiplayer maps at all. ;)

Multiplayer isn't the forte of the game, more of a nice add-on. It works well enough, but certainly needs some work, which I guess will have to wait for post 1.0 releases.

Besides, all "multiplayer" maps you comment on are just single player maps from the main campaign. As far as I know, there's no dedicated map for multiplayer games... yet.

There is a map editor, though a bit simple and clumsy (well, it was last time I checked). I guess you will have to build it yourself (note to Dave: do windows binaries include a build of the editor? if not, they probably should). Anyway, your problems are easily fixed. Just get yourself with the map editor and start designing some better MP maps. :P
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

About random maps, in the latest release (0.6.1) they don't work properly. In the latest CVS, they do work, and are randomized each time you start a new game. I think the map generation works pretty well too, although it needs some work in terms of castle and village placement.

I don't see what's so wrong with the Isle of Anduin as a map. Perhaps the north-east player has an advantage, but it is possible to win from the south.

We do need more maps, but I don't have time to draw them, and until other people do....we won't have more maps.

Also, yes, the map editor is included with the Windows version.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Svetac

Post by Svetac »

I have designed many maps for Heroes of Might & Magic series, and I would like to give the map design for Wesnoth a try, but my focus is now on the graphics of the game, and I have no time to play with map making. But the point of this post is other. I am big fan of Heroes, and also one of the contributors of the Celestial Heavens site - http://www.celestialheavens.com It's a site about Homm, and belongs to the Strategyplanet/Gamespy family of sites, but we cover other TBS games as well. Also many map makers for Heroes hang there on the boards. So I was to ask you Dave , when do you want me to promote Battle of Wesnoth there? And do you think it's good idea to speak with some of the mapmakers, invite them to see Wesnoth, and ask them to help us with map making?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Svetac wrote:So I was to ask you Dave , when do you want me to promote Battle of Wesnoth there? And do you think it's good idea to speak with some of the mapmakers, invite them to see Wesnoth, and ask them to help us with map making?
Svetac,

You or anyone else is welcome and encouraged to promote Wesnoth anywhere and everywhere you want to at any time. It's Free software, to be Freely distributed.

If you do promote it there, it'd be great if you could post a link to where you have promoted it on the forum.

We certainly would love lots more map and scenario designers if they'd be interested in helping us!

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Arael

Post by Arael »

Sorry for word "horrible". I'm bad man and I'm gonna smash in hell for that. :) I LOVE this game. I was looking for such game for linux for about year. And I'm gonna make maps and If they'll be good enought I'll send them.
Svetac

Post by Svetac »

Dave, I'll promote the game there after version 7.0 or so, when we add just a little bit more eye candy - as the new castles, weapon icons and possibly some new tiles. Of course that I'll tell you when I do that, and than I'll speak with map makers to join us. Also we may get dedicated page there and place at the Forums. It would be good for support of the game. I'll contacs Angelspit, the administrator of the site and speak with him about all this. I'll get back to you with news.
methinks

Post by methinks »

Hi!

You are most welcomed to provide multiplayer maps for game, as is anyone else.
To everyone: let's try to avoid 'strong' words next time, keeping nice and cosy feel on this forum will make discussing being pleasure :)

We all hope you will make some maps, welcome aboard!