Is there a documentation of the wesnoth species' residences?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

invertedWizzrobes

Is there a documentation of the wesnoth species' residences?

Post by invertedWizzrobes »

Hi!
I'm trying to make my first campaign and I'm struggling with where to place it geographically. the reason is that, although I can find maps over the geography, I have no idea where the different species can be found. Basically I want to avoid things like making up a famous elvish trade route in a forest which is canonically cursed and haunted by undead.

So, my question is: Is there a documentation on where the different species live/can be found?

Edit: This is my first thread on the forum, so if I should've done something differently (is there a general question thread, is this the right categoty) feel free to tell me :D
josteph
Inactive Developer

Re: Is there a documentation of the wesnoth species' residences?

Post by josteph »

Try looking in the in-game help under "Encyclopedia" and in https://wiki.wesnoth.org/StartingPoints#About_the_Game. Look under "Timeline of Wesnoth" as well -- whether a particular forest is haunted varies from century to century. The events depicted in mainline campaigns all have specific places in the timeline (you can see the start/end dates in the campaigns' respective _main.cfg files, but I'm not sure where you'll find campaign plot summaries). If you don't find the answer, let us know.

And welcome!
invertedWizzrobes

Thank you!
Unfortunately I could not find much about the residence of the wood elves, except for the Lintanir forest, which I cannot seem to locate on the wesnoth world map. do they just recide more or less in all the southern forests?

The drakes, and lizardmen, also seem to lack historical documentation entirely (because they are not featured in any of the main campaigns?)

Anyway this should allow me to get started (will need the lizardmen at the end of the campaign) Thanks a lot :D
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

You're welcome.

Lintair Forest is at the top-right corner of the main menu background map. Elves also reside in some of the other forests (for example, TSG depicts elves in the Aethenwood).

Drakes and Saurians are featured in mainline campaigns, as enemies at any rate :), and you'll find some lore on them in their race descriptions (open the in-game help, then open "Units" and select the "Drakes" subtopic). A drakes campaign is planned to be added to mainline in the next release cycle.

Remember that as a campaign author, you have a certain amount of leeway regarding lore. You can tie in to existing lore (mainline campaigns' storylines), or create some new lore, or even intentionally contradict existing lore at points (to create an "alternate history" campaign). The writers' forum may have further advice on this.
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

invertedWizzrobes wrote: December 14th, 2018, 1:58 pm Thank you!
Unfortunately I could not find much about the residence of the wood elves, except for the Lintanir forest, which I cannot seem to locate on the wesnoth world map. do they just recide more or less in all the southern forests?

The drakes, and lizardmen, also seem to lack historical documentation entirely (because they are not featured in any of the main campaigns?)

Anyway this should allow me to get started (will need the lizardmen at the end of the campaign) Thanks a lot :D
If you need help with this, let me know where and when your campaign is set and I'll tell you what I know about those places and their inhabitants.

Btw, have you seen these pages?
Races
Timeline of Wesnoth
Geography of Wesnoth
They are by no means exaustive (something could be even outdated, haven't read them extensively in a bit), but they can provide some answers you may have.

I'm linking two maps depicting the majority of locations in the main continent, so you can more easily follow. 1 2
By Wood Elves do you mean all "mainline elves", or only the Aethenwood ones like it is suggested here?
Elves are found, beside Lintanir Forest, in Wesmere Forest and the forementioned Aethenwood. Greenwood and Silent Forest are less precise, it depends on the timeline I'd say.
Saurians used to have an empire centered around the Swamp of Dread, but at the time of Heir to the Throne (usually considered the standard date) their capital is in ruin and the Saurian people are scattered. They usually dwell in swamps, but they're quite adaptable and I can see them settle in the desert, in caves, in humid forests, on the shores of lakes and seas, even in more northern latitutes as seen in Son of the Black Eye. They usually avoid civilized regions.
Drakes originates from islands in the Great Ocean and migrated eastward on the main continent after the subsidence of their homelands. Like Saurians, they avoid civilization and settle untamed lands. Known locations are Hearth Mountains and Bilheld isle. I can see them in mountains, where they settle in caves, on islands, near volcanoes, maybe in the desert. Possibly they need some source of heat nearby, not to warm themselves - their inner fire sustains them even in colder climates - but to build forges to smith their weapons. But maybe this is not strictly necessary, I can guess the fire of the Burner caste could reach quite high temperatures if needed.

I know it's not too much, I hope this can help you!
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

To Xalzar's excellent answer I'll add the TSG map that shows more of the south.
Xalzar wrote: December 14th, 2018, 4:39 pm Possibly they need some source of heat nearby, not to warm themselves - their inner fire sustains them even in colder climates - but to build forges to smith their weapons. But maybe this is not strictly necessary, I can guess the fire of the Burner caste could reach quite high temperatures if needed.
I guess a few Burners working together could pour a lot of energy into a piece of metal... but wouldn't that, ahem, burn a lot of calories? Which in turn means they'd need a lot of game around them?

There's probably a campaign idea in there. The player could start that campaign with loyal, dextrous Burners :)
invertedWizzrobes

josteph thanks for the story planning tips! will definitly take a look at the writers forum.

Xalzar thanks a lot! Will definitly take you up on that offer :)
Not quite sure what I meant with 'wood elves', just read that "wood elves are separate from those in the north"

I haven't gotten to the details in the campaign just yet, but i'll give the basic outline:
The campaign is about two brothers leading a pack of mostly previous outlaws, Living of the wild, working where they can. Basically the older brother becomes power-mad, thinking more about money, less about the morals in their jobs and people he works with. Eventually they split up, and so does their followers; those who care more about money, and those who perferred the old way. You play as the younger brother.

A while later they meet on opposite sides (My idea is elves wanting to kick out saurians to expand their territory) you defeat the elves and your brother. Got a few options for what happends after:
- you kill your brother. end of campaign
- you spare his life and
- the elves want to execute him for failing, you save him
- he tries to kill you
- something else

first scenario is fighting goblins terrorising villages, thinking of having this happen in Eastmark Hills, sometime when they are officially part of Wesnoth, but barely controlled by it.

I don't want to make it too long as it's my first campaign (and I'm awful at finishing projects already XD). scenarios will be mostly more and more questionable jobs.

So what do you think?