Winds of Fate

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BTIsaac

Re: Wings of Victory 0.9.5-RC2 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14)

Post by BTIsaac »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 3:38 am
name wrote: April 1st, 2019, 6:10 pm [Are you serious...? Offensive to whom, a fictional species?
Well sure, but that's not the point. I believe it's offensive to pretty much anyone of any race who has ever been denigrated as being lacking in intelligence, of which I believe you'll find there are many. Even if it is factually true in the setting (which I would dispute), it's still offensive. Fiction isn't some alien thing totally divorced from reality. Fiction reflects reality and in turn influences it.
Let's not go there. This same argument was used by some rag to posthumously attack Tolkien last year. Besides, it takes extreme paranoia to take any portrayal of orcs personally. Especially ehen no such intent is present.
EDIT: also, is this thread really the best place for a discussion about orcs and censorship?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

BTIsaac wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 6:28 am EDIT: also, is this thread really the best place for a discussion about orcs and censorship?
No, it isn't.

So, back on topic: If Drakes eating humans is kept, which I think it shouldn't be, then it needs to be introduced differently. As it is, I think it would turn off people from playing the rest of the campaign.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
name

Post by name »

Pentarctagon wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 12:36 pm
BTIsaac wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 6:28 am EDIT: also, is this thread really the best place for a discussion about orcs and censorship?
No, it isn't.
Would it be possible and desirable at this point to move the posts regarding orcs out of the WoV topic? I never would have referenced them if I had known it would cause such a derailment. And now that the canon I was referencing is in jeopardy (thanks to me opening my big mouth :doh:), its relevance to WoV is unclear.
sergey

Post by sergey »

Pentarctagon wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 12:36 pm If Drakes eating humans is kept, which I think it shouldn't be, then it needs to be introduced differently.
I like the idea that drakes eat humans. I created a poll to get more opinions.
Poll: do orcs eat humans?
Poll: do drakes eat humans?
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

name wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 3:50 pm
Pentarctagon wrote: April 2nd, 2019, 12:36 pm
No, it isn't.
Would it be possible and desirable at this point to move the posts regarding orcs out of the WoV topic? I never would have referenced them if I had known it would cause such a derailment. And now that the canon I was referencing is in jeopardy (thanks to me opening my big mouth :doh:), its relevance to WoV is unclear.
It would be possible, but it isn't worth the effort for me to go manually split and reassign posts across the last two pages or so. Feel free to link to specific posts in the Orc poll thread though.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Wings of Victory 0.9.6-RC3 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14)

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Version 0.9.6 is up

Changes:
Improved rabbit unit sprites by Shield
S01 The Hunt: Galun is back to only burners and gliders
S02 The Raid: Galun now has to reach level 3 along with capturing the enemy leader
S08 Wesmere: Saurian appearance is now standard, with special dialog appearing under previous easter egg conditions.
Some dialog & objectives phrasing improvement
Use unicode quote & em dash in dialog & story
Better image for rabbit incisors
Proper side name of Galun for all scenarios

Known issues:
S02: Defeat condition of capture of leader with Galun less than level 3 not specified, will be in version 0.9.7

Hopefully, I'll get to deal with the meat of the recent discussion for v0.9.7
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Wings of Victory 0.9.7-RC4 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14)

Version 0.9.7-RC4 is up

Changes
S02 The Raid
Defeat condition properly mentioned
Bug where Galun making level 3 when capturing orc leader and ending in defeat fixed

Misc
Removed the slavery plot to better focus on the apex predator plot.
Other dialog/story changes to improve apex predator plot
Minor dialog tweaks
Minor fixes
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Wings of Victory 0.9.8-RC5 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14)

Version 0.9.8-RC5 is up

Changes
S05 Islands
Slightly lowered difficulty

Replaced all references to short & long pigs with short/long prey or game instead.
Some dialog tweaks/clarifications.
name

Post by name »

Play through of 0.9.7:

WoV-0.9.7_replays.zip
(316.29 KiB) Downloaded 420 times

Dialogue and game play seems very polished. The new Foothills scenario and the mobility oriented terrain overhaul of Fire Meets Steel are substantial improvements. The mobile healing provided by the saurians kept the action moving. And the recruitable saurians made the last scenario much more dynamic than relying on clashers alone.

In fact, even though I spent a bit more gold than I should have on the preceding scenario, leaving me a bit lightweight at the beginning of Confrontation, the saurian recruitables made it possible to prevail through guerilla tactics that whittled down the much more numerous and heavy arbiters and thrashers. I got a lot of enjoyment out of Confrontation as a result; the combination of no turn limit, recruitable saurians and what seemed like a much heavier drake opponent than in previous playthroughs, rewarded a welcome change of pace and strategy.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

name wrote: April 20th, 2019, 5:12 am Play through of 0.9.7:
Thanks for the replays. The gameplay/balance seems to be in a good spot.
name wrote: April 20th, 2019, 5:12 am The new Foothills scenario and the mobility oriented terrain overhaul of Fire Meets Steel are substantial improvements. The mobile healing provided by the saurians kept the action moving. And the recruitable saurians made the last scenario much more dynamic than relying on clashers alone.
Good to hear.
name wrote: April 20th, 2019, 5:12 am Dialogue and game play seems very polished.
Thanks. I've got 1-2 more dialog tweaks, and hopefully, v1.0.0 will follow shortly thereafter.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Wings of Victory 1.0.0 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14/1.15)

Version 1.0.0 is up
Changes:
S01 The Hunt
Increase number of rabbits
Improve look of some lava hexes
Make objectives more colorful & understandable

S02 The Raid
Make objectives more colorful & understandable

S06 Islands
Give side leader two loyal guards

S11 Fire Meets Steel
Increase player income

S12 Confrontation
Increase player income

Misc
Cleanup usage of Runner/Prey/Game throughout the campaign, dropping other versions
Other minor cleanups and added comments

Now that the campaign is 1.0.0, feedback is still welcome, but I'll be taking a longer-term approach to further updates unless they are critical bugfixes.

Thanks to:
Konrad2, Lord-Knightmare, gnombat, name, josteph, gweddeoran, Celtic_Minstrel, Pentarctagon, BTIsaac, sergey
for all the feedback, you helped make this a better campaign.

Special thanks to:
fabi & esr for coming up with Wings of Victory and all the work they put into it.
josteph for alpha testing & proofreading & feedback throughout the development
zookeeper for help with some early questions when I was getting the story sorted, and for providing the journey map image
Konrad2 & name for the sets of replays
Shield for rabbit sprites
beetlenaut for midday/midnight images
name

Post by name »

And thanks to SigurdFireDragon, for making the long awaited first official Drake campaign a reality! :D
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

I have played through most of the campaign, but the last two levels in default difficulty (challenging/Aspirant).
The campaign is quite nice one, allowing to try drakes against different factions in single player, which is not possible in official campaigns yet.
Spoiler:
I didn't find the feedback thread, so I guess this goes here?
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Wayirr wrote: May 21st, 2019, 8:35 am The campaign is quite nice one, allowing to try drakes against different factions in single player, which is not possible in official campaigns yet.
You can do that fairly easily by editing the campaign WML. I once did exactly that to playthrough HttT with dwarves from S1, it was fun :)
Wayirr wrote: May 21st, 2019, 8:35 am perhaps objective in scenario 1 should hint that Galun needs as much XP as possible, even after becoming lvl2?
Agreed. How about some dialog between Vank and Galun upon Galun advancing to lvl2? Galun could say that he's glad to have made the rank of Aspirant and Vank could remind Galun that he is not yet experienced enough to enter the Contention.

I playtested S1 1.0.0 yesterday, in S1 I could've given the coup the grace to Galun but deliberately gave it to a Flare instead, thinking I'd rather train a Flameheart while Galun is still lvl2. If I had known about the S2 objectives I'd have given the coup the grace to Galun, because 16XP is a big difference. (I mean, I did know about them out-of-world because I'd read the diffs, but I didn't take them into account in my play.) I haven't played S2 yet, we'll see if I can get Galun advanced to lvl3 before end of scenario.
Wayirr wrote: May 21st, 2019, 8:35 am I didn't find the feedback thread, so I guess this goes here?
Yes.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Wayirr wrote: May 21st, 2019, 8:35 am perhaps objective in scenario 1 should hint that Galun needs as much XP as possible, even after becoming lvl2?
josteph wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 11:30 am Agreed. How about some dialog between Vank and Galun upon Galun advancing to lvl2? Galun could say that he's glad to have made the rank of Aspirant and Vank could remind Galun that he is not yet experienced enough to enter the Contention.
Yeah, it is kinda tight to get Galun to level 3 by the end of S02
I'll do something about this for v1.0.1, could be dialog, could be more enemies in S02, etc.
Wayirr wrote: May 21st, 2019, 8:35 am Regarding the first one, rabbits are supposed to appear and disappear from holes so their total number is constant, right?
I think time limit is a bit tight, so I was able to hunt down all humans, but not animals, I suppose it was meant to be like that, right?
Yes & yes.
Wayirr wrote: May 21st, 2019, 8:35 am The contention seems to be very easy
May do something about this. I do want it to be the most difficult of the first 3 scenarios.
Wayirr wrote: May 21st, 2019, 8:35 am perhaps you should use random 1-6 and all six permutations of three outcomes as random?
Noted.