Winds of Fate

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

josteph
Inactive Developer

Re: Wings of Victory 1.0.0 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14/1.15)

Post by josteph »

I'm getting error replay: found dependent command in replay while is_synced=false when I replay a savegame of Wesmere, I created the savegame in while in linger mode. Is anyone else seeing this?
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Wings of Victory 1.0.0 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14/1.15)

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Noted. I may have seen it as well.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Wings of Victory 1.0.1 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14/1.15)

Version 1.0.1 is up

Changes
S01 The Hunt
Objectives clarified

S02 The Raid
Objectives clarified
Increase turn limit & enemy income to make it easier to achieve the leveling objective

S05 Islands
Lower difficulty

S06 The Three Sisters
Use all 6 permutations for temple contents

S08 Wesmere
Fix OOS in replay of the scenario

Misc
Some code cleanup
A few dialog, grammar and punctuation fixes
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

With many of the scenarios I've had to restart from the beginning because of my own lack of skill. Only twice has it felt like a tomato surprise caused it, once with S03's mechanism for spawning the sea serpents (where I had to get a hint from the WML before understanding the map), and once with S09.

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Wesnoth 1.15 (keeping up with the Git branch), WoV 1.0.1, playing on Challenging (normal)

S09 Foothills felt like a huge tomato surprise that
Spoiler:
Replays are attached, on the first I could see it would be a restart from around turn 7.

On the second, there was a minor reload from turn 13 - I tried killing the spider boss, and then reloaded when I realised how drake-unfriendly the spider terrain was.

(3) What did you think about the dialog and story?

The "that sounds like prey-speech" read wrongly to me, because I read it as applying to the content of the speech rather than the sound of the voice.

The "yuck, this meat is rancid" event should probably filter for the killer being a drake - I ended up with my saurian healer speaking the line.
Attachments
WoV-Foothills-Auto-Save10.gz
Could see this would be defeat from turn 7
(44.1 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
WoV-Foothills Aufzeichnung abspielen.gz
Finished on turn 21
(39 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

@octalot Thanks for the feedback & bug reports
octalot wrote: July 24th, 2019, 1:26 am (3) What did you think about the dialog and story?

The "that sounds like prey-speech" read wrongly to me, because I read it as applying to the content of the speech rather than the sound of the voice.

The "yuck, this meat is rancid" event should probably filter for the killer being a drake - I ended up with my saurian healer speaking the line.
Thanks, I'll see about the first one and definitely fix the second one.
octalot wrote: July 24th, 2019, 1:26 am Only twice has it felt like a tomato surprise caused it, once with S03's mechanism for spawning the sea serpents (where I had to get a hint from the WML before understanding the map), and once with S09.
I'll see if I can fix the S03 one with some warning dialog at the start.
Hopefully, I can get the above three in a 1.0.2 release this week.
As for S09, dealing with that is likely to take longer.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Wings of Victory 1.0.2 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14/1.15)

Version 1.0.2 is up

Changes:
S01 The Hunt: Clarify & simplify objectives
S05 Islands: Give the player a warning about the sea serpents
S09 Foothills: Ensure dialog is spoken by a drake
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

I think S01 on easy is a bit too hard. It needs organised XP-feeding and use of ZoC to stop enemies stealing your XP, so easy and hard are almost the same. A couple of suggestions:

Spawn an extra lynx around 23,45, so that the player gets an easy kill on turn 2, while all of the drakes are clumped together.

Set up the human's income so that the first wave of recruits has 2 or 3 units, and then another 1 every turn or so. Currently, when the enemy castle arrives, 6 units are recruited and likely have to be fought together.

Edit: also, S1 is the last mainline user of ATTACK_DEPTH:

Code: Select all

#define ATTACK_DEPTH EASY_VALUE NORMAL_VALUE HARD_VALUE
    #deprecated 3 1.17 The attack_depth aspect has no effect on the AI any more.
#enddef
Attachments
WoV-easy-The Hunt replay.gz
(26.78 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

octalot wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 4:54 pm Spawn an extra lynx around 23,45, so that the player gets an easy kill on turn 2, while all of the drakes are clumped together.
Why wouldn't the drakes be clumped on turn 2? They don't need to capture villages (there's no carryover and no recruitable units) so they should just fly in formation toward the enemy.

Actually, maybe just give the drakes all villages south of the river, at least on EASY?
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

On turn 2 they're sure to be clumped together, but on later turns they need to be a balance of (spread widely enough to grab all the XP) vs (able to support each other when the RNG surprises the player). The objectives are only about gathering XP, it's not necessary to kill the enemy leader.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

@octalot Noted about S01 difficulty & attack depth
_alexs_

Post by _alexs_ »

Nice to see a drake campaing in the core. Great work! Played a bit (self-compiled master version from July) and here is my observations (disclaimer: I'm casual player and playing only time from time, so maybe I was doing something wrong during the game).

Some scenarios seems too difficult. For example, I almost run out of turns during Foothils, finished it on the turn 29. Mainly because of spiders with their poison attacks and high damage. Similarly with Fire meets steel, snow on the drakes side slowdowns movement while enemy feels more freely.

Anyway, I have reached last scenario (normal difficulty level) and stuck. Maybe it's my fault but I can't complete it. Having only 216 gold on start allows me to recruit/recall only 2 full castles, while enemy has more starting gold and more income. Also two saurians which joined my leader at the beginning of this
scenario are useless, as they are just standing near my keep and can not be controled.

Sorry if this comment is useless, I see that there were some updates for the campaing, will rebuild and try again.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Wings of Victory 1.0.3 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14/1.15)

_alexs_ wrote: September 8th, 2019, 9:06 am Nice to see a drake campaing in the core. Great work!
Thanks.
_alexs_ wrote: September 8th, 2019, 9:06 am Some scenarios seems too difficult. For example, I almost run out of turns during Foothils, finished it on the turn 29. Mainly because of spiders with their poison attacks and high damage. Similarly with Fire meets steel, snow on the drakes side slowdowns movement while enemy feels more freely.
I am planning on changing Foothills, at least to deal with octalot's comments above.
_alexs_ wrote: September 8th, 2019, 9:06 am Anyway, I have reached last scenario (normal difficulty level) and stuck. Maybe it's my fault but I can't complete it. Having only 216 gold on start allows me to recruit/recall only 2 full castles, while enemy has more starting gold and more income.
216 is not enough. Perhaps go back to Heart Mountains with an eye for more carryover.
_alexs_ wrote: September 8th, 2019, 9:06 am Sorry if this comment is useless, I see that there were some updates for the campaing, will rebuild and try again.
The comment was quite useful, there's only been minor changes since the version on master branch in July.

EDIT:
Version 1.0.3 is up

Changes:
S01: Make easier on easy and improve flow of enemies
S08: Improve dialog feel
Use ellipses in dialog
Remove deprecated macro
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

dwarftough (catbegemot) noticed that in S12, Krenix doesn't heal the player.

Is that intentional?

If it isn't, changing side 3's controller from null to ai will let side 3 heal the player.
patch:
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

josteph wrote: September 30th, 2019, 8:00 pm dwarftough (catbegemot) noticed that in S12, Krenix doesn't heal the player.

Is that intentional?

If it isn't, changing side 3's controller from null to ai will let side 3 heal the player.
Not intentional. I might change the controller. I'm also thinking about just having them on side 1 when they show up.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Wings of Victory 1.0.4 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14/1.15)

Version 1.0.4 is up

Minor changes only

Changes:
Add link for mainline feedback forum
S02: Change tense to match previous line
S03: Use proper spacing, caps, & unicode character
S08: Improve dialog feel