The Home - SP Campaign (0.6.1, 18/24 Scenarios)(BfW 1.14)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Centurio

The Home - Campaign (0.5.0)(18/24Scenarios)

Post by Centurio »

Hello everyone,
Here is the next update for this campaign.

The Home - Campaign (0.5.0)(18/24Scenarios)
Changelog:
- Added a ranged attack for Brog.
- Changed some defense values of Ruben.
- Reworked dialogs in level "two paths"
- Reworked dialogs in level "the ford"
- Reworked dialogs in level "into the woods"
- Reworked dialogs in level "no help"
- Reworked dialogs in level "between fronts"
- Changed some logical mistakes in the dialogs in level 17

Thank you for your feedback so far. Feedback for levels 5+ is very welcome.
I wish every tester goodluck and lots of fun. :) And surprises! :D
The WMLegions are marching
white_haired_uncle

Re: The Home - SP Campaign (0.5.0, 18/24 Scenarios)(BfW 1.14)

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Playing through your campaign. Figured I'd post what notes I've made so far while I still remember them. I'm pretty much just going to point out the stuff that I didn't like. Thanks for creating this for us.

Playing on easy on 1.14.5

S1: Just about right. Levelled up Ruben (with may a couple restarts, what a wimp that guy is), and got some units some XP, though I lost more than I'd like. But pretty fair until the event near the end which completely threw the game.

S2: Again, just about right, if you lose the orcs. No way I get into the cave before they swarm my rear.

S3: I made a simple mistake in positioning my units early on (put the wrong unit in place, then didn't have enough movement to correct the error that turn) and the trolls got position on me. After about 35 boring turns of the same fight, killing one troll and not being able to advance and then having another rush into the same place, I turned off the shroud and found that even if I ever made it through the first choke point (I wouldn't, blue was creating trolls just as fast as I was killing them), there was another one coming.
Spoiler:
S4: Too dependent on luck, especially when you throw bats in the mix. You can do everything right, and one bad roll of the dice and it's game over. Also, once two of my dudes fell in the lava and disappeared but the game continued (unfortunately I just started playing on a new machine and hadn't upped the save retention or setup backups, so the save is gone).

S5: Um, no.

S6: Found it interesting that it was afternoon in a cave. Also, the green team gets constant errors when recruiting "Assasin"s. Good. I won by killing the orcs.

S7: Nice.

S8: In the dialog, "Don't know any mercy" is probably meant to be "Don't show any mercy". In the objectives "until turn 10" is probably supposed to be "before turn 10" or "before the end of turn 10".

I found the charge ability on Ravenna's longbow to be an interesting choice. Not a big deal, just odd.
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
white_haired_uncle

I don't see a ranged attack for Brog.

EDIT:
Spoiler:
Attachments
TH-Mountain Pass-Auto-Save30.gz
(57.3 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
white_haired_uncle

Okay, I saw it again and grabbed a save.

At the beginning of the next turn, Brog will disappear into the lava. I don't see him in the unit list, stored, or on the recall list (with the caveat that I just starting to barely understand how things work). His death is supposed to be a lose condition...
Attachments
TH-Burning Turn 2.gz
(46.86 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
white_haired_uncle

Around S9/S10 or so: You will play different scenarios depending on which enemy leader you kill. The description of this in the objectives was not clear.

S15: When you reach the exit there is a test to check if you have met the other objective, but the results are the same regardless of the outcome of the check.

General:

When Ruben uses his bolas, it shows "Image not found"...

20181006 13:37:05 error display: could not open image 'units/elves/snowhunter-ranged-1.png'
20181006 13:37:05 error display: could not open image 'units/elves/snowhunter-ranged-2.png'
20181006 13:37:05 error display: could not open image 'units/elves/snowhunter-ranged-3.png'
20181006 13:37:05 error display: could not open image 'units/elves/snowhunter-ranged-4.png'

I don't have these anywhere on my machine. I do have them on a different machine under the Legends of the Invincibles add-on.

I thought the difficulty of the second half of the campaign (actually, starting around scenario 6 -- though 6 may get a lot harder if the assassin recruit is fixed) was much more reasonable than the first, probably because I had levelled up some units (including a bunch of healers).

I played pretty much every level with the starting amount of gold, and I spent every bit of it recalling in the beginning. I saw no reason to try to save any, because I was always going to end up with negative gold anyway. If I were to try to recruit/recall only enough to keep my income positive, I wouldn't have any units to spare to capture villages. And if I recruited enough to capture villages, there are enough villages to support the number of units I'd need.

I also felt the rewards for killing enemy leaders were much too low. It would cost a lot more to upkeep the additional units necessary to go after the leaders than you get for killing them. It might be worth it for the extra XP, I don't know. Also, by the time I got to killing them, I was already so far below zero that the reward was usually worthless (unless I got a substantial early finish bonus). I would at least increase the reward substantially for the easier levels.

All things considered, I think I would try making the first couple scenarios a little easier, maybe by starting with more gold or by including a couple loyal units with leadership and healing so the player can level up some units early on, then see how that affects the later scenarios.

There were a number of areas in the dialog that need proofreading. I am willing to do that if wanted.
Centurio

Update and thank you for the great feedback White Haired Uncle! :)

Post by Centurio »

Here is another update based on the feedback.

Changelog:
- fixed the bug with Ruben
- balance change in scenario 1
Spoiler:
- changes on the map in scenario 3
- decreased the start gold of the enemies in level 3
- removed the bats in level 4
- added a cave schedule in level 6
- fixed bug in level 6

In a few days I will do another update with more little changes. The most important things should be updated now.
White Haired Uncle, thank you again for your help. I would be very happy if you helped me with the dialogs.
When I have more time I will think about some others of your suggestions.
Thank you for fighting through the campaign. :D

Some hotfixes:
The Home - Campaign (0.6.1)(18/24Scenarios)
Changelog:
- Scenario 4 made easier

Good Luck everyone!
The WMLegions are marching