Peace Disturbance - My first campaign [v1.1 bêta]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Seijo-ki

Peace Disturbance - My first campaign [v1.1 bêta]

Post by Seijo-ki »

Hello!

I started to get a bit interested in Battle for Wesnoth-Creation some days ago. I know the game since my childhood, but I never finished any project (I started to create multiplayer eras, but never finished them... and they probably were REALLY badly balanced).

Since I'm playing with three other persons from time to time, I just wanted to create a 4-player campaign, since I mostly saw 3-player or less multiplayer campaigns. This only applies to the newest version 14.x, I know some exist in older versions of BfW.

So I allready made two scenarios for the campaign. I used some ressources of old custom campaigns I had in my old wesnoth user-data-ressources... and then I saw the policy guidelines. You have to get everything under GNU GPL licenses, code AND art/music. I mostly used custom units, which I modified to avoid copying ressources... but it is still not my original content. I also used old ressources of Wesnoth 1.11.16, and modified sprites of current Wesnoth units.

Before posting anything of the campaign, I would like to know how exactly it works with the license-problem. Plagiarism is of course not my intention and I would like to be on the safe side.

PS: English is not my main language, but hopefully, everything is understandable. (I'll add the file to the post, when I know how to address the problem.)

_____________DESCRIPTION______________________________________

Name: Peace Disturbance
Type: Single player or up to 4 players (multiplayer compatibility has not been tested outside of hot seats)
Scenarios: 3 (the story is not finished)
Game-version: BfW-Steam_release (1.14)
Features:
- Custom units
- Special Events

Known Bugs to fix:
- Animation of a Custom unit doesn't appear
- Multiplayer not well implemented yet, so some features could not work between maps

Goals:
- Modify the 2nd and 3rd map to allow for more freedom of movement, because currently navigating those maps is a slog
- Add 1 scenario to end the story
- Correct bugs
- Add other custom units (probably 1-2 max)
- Balance the campaign (afterwards)
- Add two other difficulty levels (normal and challenging)
- Add narration between scenarios
- Enhance the dialogues
- Translate to French, and possibly German
- Add multiplayer compatibility (need network testing, but seems to work already)

_____________CONTENT USED TO CREATE THE CAMPAIGN_______________
- War_of_Legends(v1.1.5.1) for BfW 1.11.16
- Art and units from BfW 1.11.16
- Everything else is from BfW 1.14

Edit: Updated goals + campaign updated to BfW 1.16
Attachments
peace_disturbance(beta 1.14).zip
Updated for 1.16. Works up to the 3rd map, except one bug I didn't playtest yet. Maps 2 and 3 need work.
(637.54 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Last edited by Seijo-ki on November 7th, 2023, 3:12 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Xara

Re: Peace Disturbance - My first campaign

Post by Xara »

There are good reasons why most MP games are for 3 or less players. The game would be of larger scales than it's supposed to, and therefore often last too long. It's unfun to wait for other players, and if one player quit the whole party is ruined. So it's not recommended to have 4p maps bigger than Isar or Clash.

May be a different story if the four players are friends though.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
Seijo-ki

Post by Seijo-ki »

I never played with random people, at least in campaign mode. My campaign is designed to have not so many units, to avoid everlasting turns. But it's true that waiting for other players to play can be annoying EVEN if with friends.
I was able to speed run both scenarios at turbo 3 in less than an hour, so it will need balancing, but it isn't supposed to be extremely challenging or very long.
(There is more of testing the Wesnoth coding to it, since it's my first campaign.)
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Can you give a list of where all the work that you based yours on came from? If all of it came from old add-ons and Wesnoth's mainline, then assuming that those add-ons' authors had licensed their stuff correctly, you might just have to include the list of where it came from, and agree that other people can reuse your work in the same way*. (Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, I'm not responsible for the add-ons server, this is too short a reply to give all the details even if I was a lawyer, etc).

Do any of these pages have a translation to your main language? They're not the easiest explanations to read, but they're ones that have more hope of being in your language.
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html
https://creativecommons.org/tag/translation/
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

* Actually, to upload to the server you have to agree that other people can reuse your work.
Seijo-ki

Post by Seijo-ki »

All the content I used came from the "War_of_Legends" add-on, and older versions of Battle for Wesnoth (old sprites of Lisar). That's pretty much all.
The rest is part of the current Battle for Wesnoth version (1.14).
So as long as I include the list of content I used and I accept the GNU GPL license (which is automatically applied when something gets uploaded to the add-on server and has no license specified), so that everyone who wish to modify the content and reuse it can... it's alright?

I'll go check out the links. It has a translation into my main language, even if english would've been ok. Still quicker to read.

Thank you for your answer.
Seijo-ki

Post by Seijo-ki »

New version with a french translation. The third scenario is not playable yet, but it will come soon. The dialogues are still fishy, so if you have suggestions to make them sound better... you can give them to me(especially english mistakes), but take in mind that I will probably make all the dialogues again.
Recalling units works for the moment.
The campaign is still not adapted for multiplayer.
I just made the french translation, who knows if it's working.
Attachments
peace_disturbance(v1.1 bêta).zip
Second version, still not really adanced.
(467.36 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
Seijo-ki

Re: Peace Disturbance - My first campaign [v1.1 bêta]

Post by Seijo-ki »

It has been nearly a year that I didn't look back, but I'm back in business to finalise the third map of my campaign.
My french translation still doesn't work, but I will try to find a solution for this aspect once I've finished the third map.
James_The_Invisible

Post by James_The_Invisible »

Your translation does not work because you placed the files wrongly. Check my guide on translating UMC. Point 5 is most relevant for you now.
Seijo-ki

Post by Seijo-ki »

I found my old custom campaign draft and wanted to get back into it. 1.18 is supposedly not far away, so I updated the campaign to 1.16 and playtested the first two maps completely.
Events are not broken, but the third map had a bug I wasn't able to fix a long time ago, so I'll have to look into it if the move-to event now works differently as I failed to use it to move a non-leader unit using filters on its id.
Noticed some spelling mistakes that need fixing, but overall the campaign didn't need a lot to get running on the new version.
While playtesting the 2nd and 3rd map, I noticed how hard it was to move in them, so I'll have to give a bit more freedom by editing them.