How to upload add-on to server

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lordlewis

How to upload add-on to server

Post by Lordlewis »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to make this thread, but I've made a campaign and there are a few things I'm not sure about. Mainly I don't know where to put the _server.pbl file or how to add it to the _main.cfg directory, getting it on the server is something else I've wondered about. Is there anything else I've not even heard about yet? Also I have read some of the creator's guides and such to help me make the campaign and such, but it doesn't really tell me how to upload it.
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: How to upload add-on to server

Post by Ravana »

_main.cfg is file, not directory.

Simple singlefile addon structure

Code: Select all

ravana@ravana-think .../userdata/data/add-ons $ ls -l Recruit_Level_Limit 
total 5
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ravana ravana 833 Dec  1  2015 _main.cfg
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ravana ravana 333 Dec  1  2015 _server.pbl
Lordlewis

Post by Lordlewis »

So where do I upload it exactly any ways?
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
enclave

Post by enclave »

OK Lordlewis :) I apologise for Ravana, he is too technically advanced to help with basic things... Even I don't understand what his previous post means or how it could help anyone.. with your type of question.

BASIC INFORMATION
So I assume that you already read this post: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=46377#p616016
if not it may help if you read it.
What that post indeed doesn't say is where is the folder located with main.cfg

FOLDER LOCATIONS
Before I tell where the folder location is I must say that you would better have specified what version of wesnoth you are using and what operation system you have because 1.12 is different from 1.14 and windows is different from mac which is different from linux.
So I don't know where the folder location is for mac or linux, this will be for most versions of windows (7, assume 10 is the same)
For 1.12 you should put your add-on into here: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.2\userdata\data\add-ons
For 1.14 the directory will be: C:\Users\Admin\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\data\add-ons
(it may still be different depending on circumstances, SO TO MAKE SURE WHERE IT IS, basically what you need to do is to download any add-on from server, like "MirrorMate" and then search for the folder with that name, it will show you where you should put your add-on to make it uploadable to the server)

MORE INFO
So for example you made addon "My great addon", it means that you have folder with that name somewhere right?
The name should not have spaces, so rename it into "My_great_addon"
Put that folder inside your addons folder (look above, for windows and wesnoth 1.14), like so:
C:\Users\Admin\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\data\add-ons\My_great_addon
Now Inside that folder you MUST have at least 2 files:
"_server.pbl" (read the link I provided in the beginning for how to create it and what should be inside of it, with example)
"_main.cfg" (I believe the link shows that file too... but in short it will be saying the path to your add-on folders like so:

Code: Select all

{~add-ons/My_great_addon/utils}
	{~add-ons/My_great_addon/maps}
	{~add-ons/My_great_addon/scenarios}
So the structure will be:
C:\Users\Admin\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\data\add-ons\My_great_addon\_main.cfg
C:\Users\Admin\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\data\add-ons\My_great_addon\_server.pbl
C:\Users\Admin\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\data\add-ons\My_great_addon\scenarios
C:\Users\Admin\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\data\add-ons\My_great_addon\scenarios\my_super_scenario.cfg
C:\Users\Admin\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\data\add-ons\My_great_addon\maps
C:\Users\Admin\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\data\add-ons\My_great_addon\maps\my_super_map1.map
C:\Users\Admin\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\data\add-ons\My_great_addon\maps\my_super_map2.map
C:\Users\Admin\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.14\data\add-ons\My_great_addon\utils\my_super_code_with_macros_and_things.cfg

CAMPAIGNS
If you done and understood all the above but your compaign doesn't work, or doesn't show in list of single player campaigns, then I can NOT help any further, because I personally have never done single player campaigns, only multiplayer eras and scenarios. So still ask here if you have more questions, somebody can help.

PUBLISHING
Please read the link provided above again ;)
Lordlewis

Post by Lordlewis »

Thanks, that link helped a lot. Just saying, I had already made all the files but just wasn't sure about the _server.pbl file...
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
Vilebeggar

Post by Vilebeggar »

A question here, at viewtopic.php?f=21&t=46377#p616016 he said click on add-on >connect > click *download*. There is no download sign for me. Its just the add-on list with addon detail in bottom west corner and update/exit in the bottom east. The top is just search types.
See for yourself
shot.png
Competitive Wesnoth. For the fans by the fans.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

You can also click the + sign in the column on the right.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

I believe the post is talking about clicking the heading of the "Downloads" column, in order to sort by number of downloads.
downloads.png
If you've created an add-on and you want to upload it for the first time, it will have 0 downloads, so if you sort by number of downloads in ascending order, your new add-on will appear as the first item on the list. (Of course, it is not actually necessary to perform this step in order to upload your add-on; it's just an easy way to find your add-on without scrolling through the list.)
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

With 1.14, the "State" drop-down in the line above that has a "Publishable" option, which shows only the add-ons that are ready for uploading.
enclave wrote: August 8th, 2017, 3:59 pmin menu chose "add-ons" -> "connect" -> click "downloads" column..
@enclave, please could you update your post?
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

octalot wrote: June 1st, 2019, 7:47 pm @enclave, please could you update your post?
We should put the instructions in a sticky thread, or in the wiki, or in the in-game help. Not in a random post that no one can edit except one forum user.
Vilebeggar

Post by Vilebeggar »

A clearer question. How do you upload an add-on?
Competitive Wesnoth. For the fans by the fans.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Distributing_content#The_Add-on_Server

@josteph - thanks for the memory-jog