Tactics Puzzles (for 1.12/1.14)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Inky
Forum Moderator

Re: Tactics Puzzles (for 1.12)

Post by Inky »

Wow, a third solution, and one that keeps everyone alive too, that's great! 8) You all are awesome tacticians!

I think I'll let it have multiple solutions, what do others think (I know forestdragon wanted puzzles to have multiple solutions)? I think multiple solutions are okay as long as it's not some super cheap tactic that defeats the purpose of the puzzle. Would people prefer if there was only one solution?
ElderofZion wrote: March 5th, 2018, 2:28 am The sixth puzzle is so much counting, I have never had to count so much in wesnoth before. And in the end it turned out that the healing from drain upon killing an unit doesn't work like I thought and I have been wrong all these years xD
The intention was to have people do a little trial and error, but I like the math approach! :eng:
I know you've figured it out so this comment is directed to those who don't know: drain heals half the damage you deal rounded down, but if you deal more damage than the enemy has HP the "extra" damage won't heal you. So using a drain attack on a 1 HP enemy does not heal at all for example.

By the way, suggestions or ideas for new puzzles is always welcome!
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

The matter is a bit complicated, I thought that the hp healed would be half of the unit's current hp but on the last hit the game (it could be expected) counts the damage dealt as the remaining unit's hp therefore you get half of that heal, everything depends on the drain attack values.
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

Wow, the fifth one and the sixth one were difficult, they are really cleverly made! It's good that you diversified the objectives a bit in the sixth one :D . It'd be significantly more demanding (and maybe you've already considered of this), but in the future it might also be interesting to experiment a bit with a 2- or 3-turn objectives. You could make sure the enemy moves are entirely predictable by having enemy units attack the lowest hp unit they can reach on their turn (or something like that). Anyways, looking forward to new puzzles! ^_^
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Caladbolg wrote: March 6th, 2018, 9:19 pm You could make sure the enemy moves are entirely predictable by having enemy units attack the lowest hp unit they can reach on their turn (or something like that). Anyways, looking forward to new puzzles! ^_^
an even better idea would be to give enemies preset goto_x/goto_y values at the start of each enemy turn.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

ForestDragon wrote: March 7th, 2018, 10:46 aman even better idea would be to give enemies preset goto_x/goto_y values at the start of each enemy turn.
Actually that doesn't affect ais, they will still decide what to do with each unit even if the goto_x/y's indicate a previous plan. In fact the ai is free to use those values for internal calculations, so they could change arbitrarily before or after ai moves.

Unfortunately, forcing the ai to do stuff isn't easy. These are the things I use:

1) [micro_ai]s

2) Set ai_algorithm=idle_ai so it doesn't do anything on it's own, then use [move_unit] to schedule each move ahead of time, and use [harm_unit] to simulate battles. Of course, you need one [harm_unit] per strike, so this get's clunky fast, even if you use loops.

3) Same as above but much nicer (but 1.13 only): use [do_command] which allows you to schedule both moves and attacks.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I've enjoyed them all. Only the 5th and the 6th stumped me for more than a few seconds.
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

These were good fun. I think it might be a good idea to split up the hints more - I checked the hint for the fifth puzzle because I had completely missed the village next to the leader, and received way more help than I wanted which kind of spoiled it for me.

One possibility that comes to mind for another scenario is the Sokoban-like shuffling that occurs if you're stuck in a narrow overcrowded hallway and need to rotate your units around. Nor sure if it's possible to make that difficult enough for a full-blown puzzle though.
Crimson_Conure
2019 Amateur Fast Champion

Post by Crimson_Conure »

Oh man, I gotta try it out. Yo Inky, thank you for doing me justice! :]
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Hello Inky.
I had a lot of fun this campaign, so I decided to make a translation file.
However, it turned out that the hint text is not translatable text.
This problem can be solved by changing the writing position of "_".
Please fix as follows.

1 : macros
message=_{HINT_TEXT} -> message={HINT_TEXT}
2 : scenarios
{VAGUE_HINT "HINT TEXT"} -> {VAGUE_HINT _"HINT TEXT"}
{DETAILED_HINT "HINT TEXT"} -> {DETAILED_HINT _"HINT TEXT"}
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Hey IIIO_Metal, thanks so much! I think I've corrected it now. Glad you like it! :D

p.s. To everyone else, the add-on's finally on the 1.14 server. Haven't added any new puzzles yet, but working on it! Thanks for the feedback everyone!
IIIO_METAL

Re: Tactics Puzzles (for 1.12/1.14)

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Hi Inky.

I am creating a Japanese translation file and have other people check it. Because my English ability is unreliable.
Attach a pot file for those who want to translate to other languages.

Then you need to add a path to [textdomain] to make the translation file valid.

[textdomain]
name="wesnoth-Tactics_Puzzles"
path="data/add-ons/Tactics_Puzzles/translations"
[/textdomain]
wesnoth-Tactics_Puzzles.pot
(14.31 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Hello Inky.
I have created a Japanese translation file.
For this work, two Wesnoth users kateiteki and h22 worked together.

I hope that you will include this data in your add-on.
Well then, have a nice weekend!
ja.zip
(15.64 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Thanks so much, you guys are awesome!!! 8) I've added you three to the credits and included the translation now.
Sorry for the late reply, life's been really hectic recently!
GoldnerPhoenix

Post by GoldnerPhoenix »

Hi Inky,
I really Love your puzzles (Mostly that one with teleporting :) ), but Your new Puzzle has a little problem:
I play your 7th puzzle today and it has a very easy solution without evolve your rider! You just use your lv1 rider to weaken the troll and kill him with the lv2 warrior. Than hit the King with your two goblins (range attack) and go up to the village with your leader. The Troll attack the lv1 Goblin and get hit because of first strike. In your turn You go with everything on The Leader (lv0 goblin close combat this time) and because of the healing your leader survive one strike and kill the troll.
First I would say, that multiple solutions are not that kind of problem, but this time the alternative solution is (In my opinion) to easy.
To this time I have not solve the Puzzle the regular way but after solving I read the hints and was surprised this time and I stop after the less hint because I wanted to write this immediately, so I do not know if it is possible to replace the lv1 goblin.

I hope this will help you to change the puzzle (if you want) and wait for more 'Tactic Puzzles'.
----------------
Sorry for less good English writing and this long text, I am German and it is my first time to post (...so be proud to be the first one ;), this shows how great your puzzle idea is)
GoldnerPhoenix

Post by GoldnerPhoenix »

I continue play and find your solution and so I find a great fix. In your solution the Leader get only 11EP but in mine 53!
First time I think the best fix would be to give the little troll more EP so he will evolve after kill the lv1 wolf, but it would be better to give the enemy leader 97 EP, so he will level up after survive the hordes of Orks and Goblins just before the Leader can kill (Muhahahaha :) )!
Hope I help you!