A Fiery Birth-Drake Campaign (9 Scenarios) Now on 1.18

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MathBrush

Re: A Fiery Birth-Drake Campaign (9 Scenarios, 1.12/1.13) Now with Nightmare

Post by MathBrush »

I have updated both 1.12 and 1.13 with new versions.

The dialogue has been completely revised.

There is an additional Nightmare difficulty level now. I have no idea if it is winnable; it mostly gives the other enemy more gold and level 2 recruit lists, and the player less gold.

Normal mode (which used to be hard) now has less gold on the first few scenarios and a different recruit list for some enemies, but is otherwise the same.

This update may have introduced bugs rendering the campaign unplayable. I will fix any bugs that are reported. Thanks to everyone!
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Regarding the dunefolk, I've seen it discussed that they originated from the west just like the wesfolk, fled the lich lords but crossed over some sort of land bridge to the far south. Not 100% sure if this is accurate or not.
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

There’s a big debate about it right now regarding the Dunefolk race description.

Also, I planned on designing this campaign with only a loose connection to canon so I could have more fun. There’s very little chance it will ever become mainline. I’d love to work my Dunefolk campaign to mainline level though, so I’m going to adjust it according to the outcome of that thread.
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Hi, i finished your campaign on Normal in BfW 1.13.11. It took around 7 hours. Here's my feedback. Not much to say tbh. Its fairly short and simple, perhapsa bit too easy.

Scenario 1-Fun playing with a dragon. Turn 8/15
Scenario 2 – typo- to our arms -> to arms. Piece of cake. Turn 16/20
Scenario 3 – Same map, easier fight. Turn 15/20
Scenario 4- 30 turns is too much. Took me only 10. Turn 10/30
Scenario 5 – typo- taneer plea-> pleaded . The white mage vanished as soon as I killed the necro. Turn 14/30
Scenario 6 – Nice idea for a scenario. It was something new for me. Enjoyed it Turn 20/30
Scenario 7 – Another easy scenario. Good thing u gave the leader some extra gold in the middle of the fight. Turn 14/25
Scenario 8 – typo- he determined-> he was. Nothing to say. Turn 16/22
Scenario 9 –Nice throwback to TroW. Turn 16/33

Nice job with both your campaigns. Take care
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

Thank you for your feedback. I’ll definitely fix those bugs, and tinker with the difficulties. I always make things too easy because I hate being stuck on video games!

Doing feedback for both games is very generous. Thanks again for your time.
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

This campaign is a lot of fun and quite well written, but I'm playing on 1.13.5 and I hit a bug. In the scenario A Mighty Storm the dialogue plays but no enemy units spawn and the enemy leader talks but doesn't appear, then I win automatically. How do I fix this?
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

Sorry for the long time replying, I had abandoned this campaign already, but the release on Steam made me excited to re-release this for 1.14.

I think I've fixed the problem, WanderingHero, as it shows up when I try playing that level. Let me know if you see it again.

The 1.14 release features a completely different backstory and set of dialogue. Small tweaks have been made to balance. Maps have been largely redesigned.

The goal of this campaign is to present a straight-up Drake experience without extra units (beyond the special Prologue scenario featuring a Fire Dragon and bats). It includes scenarios with only flying units and scenarios with no flying units.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: A Fiery Birth-Drake Campaign (9 Scenarios) Now on 1.14

Post by Konrad2 »

Pretext scenario 1 2nd page: 'I have asked if their is a caste like mine...' (there)

Scenario 1 2nd text: '...and even the spider of thee deep...' (the)

Scenario 1 uses the day-night circle instead of the cave 'light'.

Pretext scenario 2 1st page: '..., the dragon was weaker than over.' (ever)
Last edited by Konrad2 on June 13th, 2018, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

Thank you for your feedback. Howndoninseitch the day-light cycle?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I have literally no idea. But I guess it could be easily found in the WML workshops?
matlag

Post by matlag »

Hi all,
Trying this one out of curiosity, I was looking for a Drake campaign.

But just to be sure I'm not getting the whole thing wrong:
So far, almost all of my army is made of Saurian, because... it's so much easier! They are almost as comfy as elves in the forest, they have powerful units, and above all, they don't suffer from that -30% on arcane attacks... I basically have one Drake for the leadership skill, 2 scouts, and Menir. Every other units are Saurians.

Is that how it's supposed to be played? It feels like the first 4 scenario I've completed so far could almost be done without any drake at all on the field. I'm pretty sure at some point I'm going to feel the lack of evolutions, but for now... Saurians lead the way!

I gave a shot recruiting more Drakes for the 5th scenario (2nd mission: dwarves and mages). My Drakes got massacred by some Dark Adepts. So I was planning to redo it... with a large Saurian army again.

Point to note: I am NOT a good player. So if I struggle with Drakes, it may just mean that... I need to practice more!
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

6 cannot be played without fliers though.
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

That's interesting about all Saurians! The third scenario is intended to be hard for Saurians (ghosts and skeletons are weaker to fire than to pierce or cold). But if you got through it, it shouldn't be too much of a big deal.

Scenario 5 is definitely easier with saurians, and was intended to be. I wanted to make 4 a battle that highlighted Fighters and Clashers, but I'm not really sure how to do that. I'll take suggestions!

As BTIsaac said, 6 is fliers only.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Hey, great campaign! With a bit more work I think this would be good for mainline.
Typos
Scenario 2
-"the dragon was weaker than over" -> the dragon was weaker than ever
-"One of her ancestors," -> I had to re-read this a couple times because I thought it meant one of the dragon's ancestors.

Scenario 4
-The word "Drakes" is capitalized, but not "elves," "dwarves," etc. They probably should all be lower case, but they definitely should be consistent.
-"before the wrath of Drakes and dwarves" This sentence doesn't make much sense. Grammatically, it should be something like "wrath between drakes and dwarves," and lore-wise, I'm not aware of any wars/feuds between the two.

Scenario 7
-"One day, a mighty storm blew the fliers away ones flying" I think this one is self explanatory.
Balancing
I played on normal, and most of the scenarios were pretty easy.

Scenario 1
I forgot that fire dragons had leadership, so I wasted my bats and had to restart. On the next attempt, the enemy leader moved out on his own and I easily killed him. Maybe you should change the objectives to 'kill all enemies,' or make the ai move its units out like normal, so there isn't as much RNG involved.

MathBrush wrote: July 6th, 2018, 1:20 am Scenario 5 is definitely easier with saurians, and was intended to be.
Really? I had almost exclusively drakes. I hid in the hills during the first night, so the dwarvish fighters got separated from the mages and I killed them without trouble. Then the following day my drakes could plow through the adepts.

Scenario 7
(The one against sea serpents)
This one was tricky, probably just because I didn't have many non-flying veterans. Still not really hard, but harder than average.

Scenario 8
This one was WAY harder than the rest of the campaign for me. After a failure, a restart and another failure, I went back to scenario 7 and cheesed the ai so I finished early and had some extra gold. Even then it was a lot harder then the rest of the campaign. I'm sure that more skilled of players wouldn't mind it, but if someone was finding the early scenarios challenging then they would probably never be able to finish.

And speaking of cheese, here's my replay of it in case you're interested:
AFB-A Mighty Storm replay.gz
(22.01 KiB) Downloaded 479 times
Miscellaneous suggestions
Scenario 2
There isn't time to see the dragon die before the game scrolls off to the next message. I was confused because I thought you just used the sound effect as a battle roar and didn't even know it was dead. A little [delay] would fix it.

Scenario 3
Szel warns to avoid the mountains, but I'm not sure why. Mountains are better vs skeletons (who're unbearably slow on them) and against ghosts (who don't share your defense bonus).

Scenario 4
An extra music track would be very nice. Out of the two that were playing, one was very short, so I got tired of hearing them pretty fast.

Scenario 6
It seemed like the dunefolk got a bunch of extra gold after a few turns of fighting? A message or something to announce that would be nice.
Thanks for making it, I had a good time!
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

Thanks for your feedback, when I find time to revise the campaign, I'll incorporate it!