Worth doing a short Dunefolk campaign?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MathBrush

Worth doing a short Dunefolk campaign?

Post by MathBrush »

I’ve played Wesnoth on and off since 2010. I now work as an interactive fiction author, and I thought it would be fun to try out writing a short Dunefolk campaign with only 4 scenarios, like Two Brothers.

I was wondering though, is it worth doing another Dunefolk campaign? I heard that there are some others already done that are very well developed, four scenarios aren’t very long, and I have no art assets.

But I have a fun storyline set out involving loyalist colonists, orcs and undead enemies, and elvish traitors. And there would be no special units, because the point would be to have a ‘vanilla’ campaign (units-wise) to give people a chance to play level 3 Khalifate units.

Is this something you would be interested in playing? It would be called “Sand in the Wind”.
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
adramolokh

Re: Worth doing a short Dunefolk campaign?

Post by adramolokh »

The Wesnoth community and amount of Dunefolk add-ons is small enough that you couldn't be considered redundant by any fair measure. I think you should shoot for it: you have a vision in mind, and it's better off realised than not.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

I personally prefer short campaigns over long ones.

Besides there are not many Dunefolk campaigns, I know two, one currently being offline, and a standalone scenario, haven't heard about others.
Try out the dark board theme.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I'd say go for it as well. There are no mainline Dunefolk campaigns, and only a few UMC, so who knows - your campaign could easily be the first some people see of the faction outside of playing multiplayer :)

Some more general advice as well: If possible, start creating the campaign on 1.13. There have been quite a few improvements as well as non-backward-compatible changes since 1.12, and the next stable release should only be a few months away, so you'd probably save yourself some time by targeting the development version at this point(there should also, hopefully, be a new development version coming out very soon).
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Airatgaljamov

Post by Airatgaljamov »

That is a great idea and it has to be done. In my opinion exactly this kind of small introductory campaign would give the Dunefolk some flavor and energy, so they would finally find their place in Wesnoth. And small campaign with only existing units is easier to make and develop to reach mainline quality.
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

I now have the campaign fleshed out completely with portrait artwork borrowed from other mainline campaigns.

All of the dialog and gameplay is in place, but it hasn’t been tested by anyone for balance or bugs. How do campaign writers usually find testers?
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Sounds awesome, I for one would be happy to test your campaign! :D

Most campaign authors just put their campaign on the add on server and wait for people to play it and comment. Sometimes people will also post their works in progress on the forum before putting it on the add-on server.
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

Great! I should be able to upload it on the add-ons server by tomorrow morning (I want to test it on Hard difficulty first).

One last question: when does 13.11 come out? I based the dialogue and story on the new dune folk names (like Explorer, Windrider, Blademaster). My current plan is to just rename units like they do in Liberty, but all of that code will stop working under 13.11 (I assume).