Blessed Altar Mod (BAM)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dinosaur

Blessed Altar Mod (BAM)

Post by Dinosaur »

Dear Friends,
I have been working on a Mod for some time now (years in fact), but now find myself in need of some help.
I have never contributed code before and frankly don't have a clue as to what needs to be done to make it available
to all of you. So, either I am really slow and dim or age as dulled my mind, probably both.

What else can you expect from a dinosaur?

Forums scare me to death! In fact I loathe having to connect to the internet!! So I don't do it very often.
What is GitHub? Do you have to sign up? Is it safe?

In brief, I have developed the "Blessed Altar Mod". BAM for short. I have successfully tested this Mod in every
Single Player Scenario out there.

The following is a short synopsis of its features.

Blessed Altar Mod (BAM), can be easily added to any Single Player Scenario, currently one line of WML code {BLESSED_GLOBAL_EVENTS}
1) Place an Altar Image on Map (user controlled) moveto access Menus
2) Gives the Player the ability to "Bless" (modify) individual units through dynamic and/or default settings.
Particularly, what I call the basic 4, HP, Moves, Damage and Strikes.
3) Add ABILITIES and/or Special Attacks
4) Equip WEAPONS and ARMOUR (full access to all Items from Dugi's Brilliant LOTI)
5) Drops, Crafting, Beelzebub (thanks to Dugi)
6) Boost all AI units both allied and enemy (this has great potential as a balancing tool)

If anyone is willing to mentor me (communicate with me) I will greatly appreciate it.
This is still work in progress... runs clean but the stderr looks like a train wreck!
I am trying to have this ready for General availability by Christmas....
Thank you for your time...
The_Gnat

Re: Blessed Altar Mod (BAM)

Post by The_Gnat »

Hello! I would be interested in helping you create an add-on for this mod so that people are able to download it! :D (also what version of wesnoth are you running?)

EDIT:

Basically to make an add-on that people can play you don't have to have a git-hub project (that is only needed if you want to do code-sharing and code development with other people) all you need is a add-on that works and then a _server.pbl file (i can guide you through creating that if you are interested). Once you have this you can easily upload your add-on to the wesnoth server for people to download. :D
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Thank you so much... I am currently running 1.12.6 and I would appreciate learning more about the a _server.pb file......
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Dinosaur wrote:I am currently running 1.12.6 and I would appreciate learning more about the a _server.pb file......
Check out this wiki page: https://wiki.wesnoth.org/PblWML

Don't worry about being a dinosaur, Wesnoth is old-school and proud of it.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Making a server.pbl file is really easy. Have a look at that page that doofus-01 gave a link to! :D Once you've created one go into wesnoth and click add-ons in the main menu and then sort by author. A button that says upload your add-on will then appear at the top of the list! :)
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

The_Gnat wrote:Making a server.pbl file is really easy. Have a look at that page that doofus-01 gave a link to! :D Once you've created one go into wesnoth and click add-ons in the main menu and then sort by author. A button that says upload your add-on will then appear at the top of the list! :)
actually, it's on the bottom.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Thanks to all respondents; OK, I found the Pb file example and I am getting it ready - just a few issues to clear up -

1) Currently, there is no scenario that accompanies this mod. My immediate intent is for this to be a Single Player MOD which may be included into any existing Single Player campaign. As such, this requires the user to manually insert a minimal amount of WML code into each Scenario of the compiler version of Wesnoth. I would like, very much, to eliminate this requirement by using LUA code similar to the XP mod for Multiplayer but haven't figured it out yet.

2) It sounds like the Pb file upload process will send this to general availability. Thus I fear that without further testing It may cause unwanted frustration to the less experienced users. Is there a way to send what I have so far to a few of you brave souls willing to test and review? Since this includes a lot of code originating from Dugi's LOTI, the code exceeds 55 MB on disk. Email Perhaps? any takers?

3) This mod has a tremendous potential to be a new scenario test Balancing tool. With it you may modify/set AI boost amounts and embellish your characters with extremely powerful weapons, attacks, and equipment (armour, etc.). This tends to push game play into a whole new arena. Therefore, It should be looked at from that perspective as well.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

:D Glad you were able to get the pbl file working!

Okay, firstly I will address point 2 of yours: If you think that your mod is not yet stable enough to upload you could try using Dropbox or Google drive to upload your add-on, but I would suggest that you just upload it to the wesnoth server anyway. The forums aren't that active and so you are more likely to get feedback if you do that. Also you can make sure everyone knows they are downloading a incomplete add on by putting, In the pbl file, version='0.1beta' so that everyone knows they are downloading a not fully complete add on.

Now about point 1: Do you want your add on to work in single player for campaigns or just in multiplayer? If you want it to work in MP the best way to add events into MP is using a modification.

How a modification works is that it gives the players the option to turn on or off whatever mod you have made in the multiplayer menu. This is better because it doesn't obligate users to always play with every add on the have installed. Here is an example mod which would go in your main.cfg file:

Code: Select all

[modification]
id=BAM_modification
name=_ "blessed alter mod"
description=_ "... "
require_modification=yes
{DEFINITION_OF_YOUR_EVENT} 
[/modification]
And then as you probably know you can put your code that you want loaded in the definition:

Code: Select all

#define DEFINITION_OF_YOUR_EVENT

#enddef
I assume that the code that you require to be put into a scenario is just a wml event?

Unfortunately if you want to make your add on for SP you can only use modifications in 1.13 and later. Because of this you might be interested in downloading 1.13 and uploading your add on for it, (it has a different add on server).

But if you really want to make your add on for SP in 1.12 you can do so by creating a fake unit which loads your defined event. Put the following code in your _main.cfg file.
Spoiler:
Though if you do this it will always run in every SP scenario which might annoy users who want to play without it on occasion. What you could do is (like TGA and my add on Reign of the Lords), create a second add on that users could download named Blessed Alter Mod in Single Player. Then in your first add on use a #ifhave ~add-ons/Blessed_Alter_SP/_main.cfg and if you the user has installed this ghost add on then you know that they want to load all your events into SP. For example:
Spoiler:
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

speaking of the event-loader unit type, I would also recommended to put 'hide_help=true' and 'do_not_list=yes' in the [unit_type]. also, don't forget to put the original BAM as a dependency in the SP version's _server.pbl file.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Thanks for helping.... :D

Good point about using the beta designation. I will do that and upload what I have today.

The code is not really suited for MP at this point as there are no usage limiting controls. In SP, Trouncing your opponent in 3 out of 50 turns is not a problem or creating a unit that can wipe out 20 enemies in a single blow doesn't lift an eyebrow. Nobody is going to scream bloody murder. My theory is if you can't control yourself, don't ask me to do it for you.

I may indeed consider going to 1.13.?. I was testing a copy of that on my XP machine but it has problems, crashes, when sound is turned on... I might consider downloading 13 into my windows 10 machine.

I will try to build the SP hook you suggested and then upload what I have. That should at least get it out there.

Also, I downloaded your "The Balance Mod" and it automatically activated in the SP campaign I was working on. Perhaps it is just what I need. :D

Thanks again

PS Note to ForrestDragon your suggestions are appreciated, accepted and included.. Thanks... :D
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Dinosaur wrote:PS Note to ForrestDragon your suggestions are appreciated, accepted and included.. Thanks... :D
Glad to help! :)
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Ok here is the latest .... I'm trying to upload the mod to the addon server .... just hangs .... looks like it sent it all but is not acknowledging completion
I get a message about requiring a GNU license. respond OK: I have that in a file called COPYING. Is this message normal??? It then shows the progress bar at near completion 48Mb of 48mb loaded but process does not complete. The only way out of the hang is to CANCEL the upload. It then reconnects to server, but Mod doesn't appear on the available list under Other. Stumped for the moment.... any ideas?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Don't hit cancel just wait a REALLY long time, it takes a while. :D After like 30 min it will finish uploading.

Unfortunately the progress bar doesn't work for uploads, normally it wouldn't matter but with a add-on as big as yours it seems like nothing is happening, even though it is uploading.
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Thanks for the reassurance. I thought it might have something to do with my satellite connection had similar issues in the past. I will try to be patient.
On the bright side, the delay did give me time to add another feature. Thanks again :D
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Still no go... the Server is fighting me..... Now I am getting ERROR about a bad file or directory name containing a space and other bad characters? Why doesn't it show me the name it doesn't like... I've looked there are no such bad guys. Stumped but still searching....?