Scenario testing and feedback

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GrandSage

Scenario testing and feedback

Post by GrandSage »

Hey everyone, so, I made a little something that should "work". Now Im just asking if some of you more veteran players will give it a go.

Basically, I wanted to make a Tolkin-style battle, where its impossible to win without reinforcements (think the battle of Helm's deep). Now, It would just be really annoying if I find out that it actually is completely beatable without the reinforcement (which I haven't coded in yet). In short I hope some of you will give it a go and try to beat it. All kind of aesthetic or gameplay feedback is off course also welcome.

I'll attach the .cfg file, it includes the mapdata.
Attachments
incursion.cfg
Unfinished, includes mapdata
(20.27 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
nemaara
Developer

Re: Scenario testing and feedback

Post by nemaara »

It's beatable without the reinforcements, yes. The way you have it set up, it's not too hard, but quite tedious. The problem is that there are chokepoints that you can hold the orcs at (like 23,35-38) and just farm exp at. This prevents the orcs from running you over.

However, because of this, and the high income of the orc factions, the units get backed up and you have to fight your way through them, which gets a little annoying after 10s of turns. If you don't play at the chokes, then you'll probably get run over in a few turns by the wolves.

Some of this stems from the map size. Since the map is so big, and you have forests at the top, the slower orcs take a long time to get to the battle, but what ends up happening is that they come in huge blocks which become really annoying to fight through. Example: https://imgur.com/3ZNmAT7

So, either reducing the distance (and gold) or reducing income would probably be helpful in not getting those giant blocks of units.

Other little things... distance from where you can recruit to the choke point is far (i.e. the bottom of the map is huuuge for no apparent reason). You might be able to make it smaller, or make it like a layered castle with gates. Also, not having any healers feels kind of bad to play (at least to me).

I can make more suggestions later when I'm not falling asleep. ^_^
GrandSage

Post by GrandSage »

hehe thx! Did you actually beat it or did you just analyse my map?

The thing with the choke points is quite annoying, I agree. I also found that if you use one, it can become impossible to work your way through the orcish horde, which is why I made them wider then they were originally. As for recruiting, there are two small castles on the main island where you can move your leaders. It struck me that I totally forgot to mention that both of them can recruit, but that the cavalry-guy can recruit different people than the lieutenant.

which choke-point did you use? I imagine you could get rid of the orcish blocks by retreating to the mainland overnight, and then running the orcs over when they follow you, creating a larger front. But yeah, maybe I should just make more ways across the river, or remove the chokepoints all together and make it into a big ford or something.

Thx for your feedback!
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

I played through some of it but didn't finish. When playing, I used the lower most chokepoint. It's possible to work your way through the orcs, but I didn't finish it because it got too tedious. You're right about how to get rid of the orcish blocks, and it's doable, but just annoying in general. I know about the castles in the center, but realistically, trying to defend those is very difficult. Recruiting cavalry is nice, but their lack of defense makes it harder to hold a position when you need to.

Basically, making a long battle with a ton of units makes for rather stale gameplay, unless there is some variety (IMO). It would be nice to add more events (other than just your reinforcements), and to make a bit more variety in the terrain, especially in the southern portion of the map. If you want it to feel more like Helm's Deep, you could try making a castle, for example. Then you could have events that have the orcs break castle walls, or somehow break your lines.