Pax Romana : The Rise of Vespasian

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

nenau

Re: Pax Romana : The Rise of Vespasian

Post by nenau » April 7th, 2018, 9:23 am

Hello,

Thanks, ogr for your kind comments, and sorry for the reply delay.

About the description, I did forget to change it. I removed the "not complete" part on the last update, and I'll think about reformulating the sentence to say that there are lots of language mistakes that I can't correct.

Your remark about the imperial march is interesting because I tuned the roman infantry so that it is quite slow, but nearly unstoppable with all the defense bonuses, slowly breaking all resistance. Too bad that in the last scenario, the AI doesn't manage the flag and centurion combo. The other point is that in some scenarios (most of them actually) you are clearly not on the good guys side.

ogr

Post by ogr » April 12th, 2018, 2:21 pm

It definitely feels that way. However, on hard, you can't win with the roman infantry alone, you need to make full use of the auxiliaries and the horse units. Particularly on forest maps. where auxiliaries are mandatory. But also on big maps, when roman units can't move fast enough and might be hard-pressed by ennemy number, when your low on cash. Because of that, I had to backstab enemy leaders a few times with my horse platoon to be able to win.

Btw, I love the horse units composition : because of the various abilites of the horses units (leadership for instance), you can have a few horse platoons wreaking havoc all around the map while your infantry troops hold the main force.

The spartiate unit is also very good on its own, able to hold waves of ennemy alone before the reinforcements arrive.

And yes, the last scenario feels a little bit easy but I love to be able to blindly charge at the ennemy with an armada of horses.

nenau

Post by nenau » April 26th, 2018, 3:41 pm

A new update featuring:
* more portraits
* Two new units : a celtic mounted flagbearer and an other alternative advancement for the bowman
* I changed the description about high quality texts

nenau

Post by nenau » May 10th, 2018, 5:13 pm

The campaign was uploaded on the 1.14 server, with a few minor aesthetic upgrades.
I've also added a Pax Romana era because it turned out that I like to use these units on european maps (like for example Transfermium's fall of the roman empire) It's however probably rather unbalanced.

Sudipta

Post by Sudipta » May 30th, 2018, 4:19 pm

Hello. I've been interested in playing this campaign ever since u crated it.I'm kind of a history buff myself and i finally got to playing this campaign. I'm playing the latest version of Pax Romana in Hard difficulty on BfW 1.14.2. I played the first 4 scenarios for now. There are a lot of grammatical errors in the campaign and i've noted some of the typos and their fixes. My feedback on the scenarios -
Spoiler:
I like the wide variety of units available, but some of them are only recruitable for 1 or 2 turns before they disappear from the recall list, not enough time to keep a likable number of them in the recall list. The Young legionnaire unit line, though useful is pretty confusing as well, it seems they can change unit trees with each level up. I also ike how you alternated easy and hard scenarios. But all the scenarios are the same. Just a skirmish battle with an enemy side. I hope there's some scenario variety soon.

I'll continue the campaign tomorrow. Have a nice day ^_^
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play

nenau

Post by nenau » May 30th, 2018, 6:19 pm

Hello. Thank you for this feedback, it will be most useful.
some of them are only recruitable for 1 or 2 turns before they disappear from the recall list
I guess you mean the recruit list... If not, that's a bug I didn't see and that I have to solve. Anyway, I see what you mean, I was never bothered by that point because as I replay the campaign, it's most of the time in easy difficulty, so my loss rate is very low (I never finished the campaign in hard, I just semi-randomly extrapolated the values to let better players than I have fun). I guess a solution could be to give to the player a few units just before they get unavaliable...
The Young legionnaire unit line, though useful is pretty confusing as well
Actually, it's not a tree, it's more like a net: at each level up, you get the choice to increase or not the rank (legionnaire->decurion->centurion->primus_pilus) of the unit.
I hope there's some scenario variety soon.
Mmmh, well... Afterwards, you have times to times bigger battles, and sometimes many enemy or allied sides, but I agree that one of the main weaknesses of this campaign is that the objective is always "kill the enemy leader(s)". I will re-read the biography of Vespasian in order to try to find a way to interpose a few "go to the sign" or "survive for xx turns" scenarios.
Remark: The scenario 7 is meant to add some variety, bit it's very short.

nenau

Post by nenau » June 8th, 2018, 7:10 pm

Hello,

The campaign was updated on the server, with:
* Intergration of Sudipta's remarks on the firsts scenarii.
* Addition of dialogue (includong 2 dialogue-only scenarii) in the second half.
* A new legionnaire horseman unit

nenau

Post by nenau » July 30th, 2018, 5:50 am

Hi,
A new update featuring:
* A small revamp of cavalry units with a mounted decurion, and numidian skirmishers.
* New sprites for roman and numidian cavalry, and roman officers
* Addition of 2 scenarii to add variety to the objectives
* A few free units are recruited just before they becom unavaliable (in order to have a chance to keep for example a group of hoplites till the end of the campaign).