Napoleon project

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TorMac

Napoleon project

Post by TorMac »

0.2.0 is available for beta testing on the add-ons server

Just uploaded the new version - includes more dialogue and some fixes. Russia should be a lot harder to walk out of. Two new music tracks, somewhat mixed and nenau is now in the credits :)

FEATURES:
  • A tutorial and 11 playable scenarios following Napoleon's key wars and campaigns
  • Currently there are 46 new units - including special faction units (cossack for the Russians, janissary for the ottomans, Rifleman for the British, grenzer for the Austrians, grande batterie for the French).
  • Advance your four basic units (line infantry, artillery, light cavalry and medium cavalry) to diverse units (dragoons, hussars, uhlans, chasseurs, etc.). All have portraits and unique icons.
  • 12 nationalities ("races") with their own names and traits available
  • Slowly adding original music
Download it take it for a spin. Your feedback will be most welcome.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 20.59.59.png
Last edited by TorMac on February 26th, 2020, 3:01 am, edited 13 times in total.
Take command of Napoleon's armies in an 11 scenario historical campaign with the Napoleonic Warfare for Battle for Wesnoth project.
TorMac

Re: Napoleon project

Post by TorMac »

... and another screenshot and a huge shoutout to PapaSmurf for the 18th Century add on that was what got me started.
Take command of Napoleon's armies in an 11 scenario historical campaign with the Napoleonic Warfare for Battle for Wesnoth project.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi, this looks very promising :) I like the concept of having real history-related campaigns. Is it only the African Campaign, or will you write all of the campaigns of Napoleon?
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
TorMac

Post by TorMac »

Ty. That campaign is the second scenario. It starts with the first Italian campaign. I'm working on No.4, which is Ulm and Austerlitz. Looking at 10 total, ambitious enough to keep me busy, but not too much. Still learning WML. Then who knows? It could be used to make individual battles. Some MP maps would be interesting, and perhaps an age. Focusing on the scenarios for now... with their own units and graphics. More ss later.
TorMac

Post by TorMac »

More ideas for future versions:
New sounds, 18th century inspired music, unique races with traits for each faction, MP factions, Wellington/Blücher campaign; individual battle scenarios for SP/MP... Depends on interest, really.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-02-25 at 18.22.08.png
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Oh man, this looks awesome! Have to show this to my father when I have the chance, he's really interested in that time period :D

I'll keep an eye open for this.

Greetings from Ulm ;)
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
TorMac

Post by TorMac »

Making good progress and still anticipate releasing it on the week of March 20...
Attachments
Austrians, Russians and French prepare to fight it out in the Rhine Valley
Austrians, Russians and French prepare to fight it out in the Rhine Valley
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Nice i like what you have done! :D
TorMac

Post by TorMac »

Screenshots of the maps. They are what is taking the longest.

A question I'm still undecided on is the village names.

1) The historical version makes sense (i.e. Kaliningrad>Köningsberg) depending on the country controlling the place, but
2) I feel uncomfortable Germanizing Polish names (i.e. Gdansk>Danzig) due to contemporary history, hence
3) I'm leaning to using traditional English names and letting translators figure it out (Livorno>Leghorn, Zaragoza>Saragossa) and
4) Not leaning towards using the contemporary version (i.e. Vitoria>Vitoria-Gasteiz)
Attachments
Maps ss.png
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Looks interesting, reminds me of Civilization. I think I will try it out.

Small coding note about the help image. It's best to include portraits like that

Code: Select all

profile="portraits/fighter" # for the portrait when talking
small_profile="portraits/fighter~SCALE(205,205)" # for the help entry, black background ist generated automatically
Try out the dark board theme.
TorMac

Post by TorMac »

Shiki wrote:Looks interesting, reminds me of Civilization. I think I will try it out.
That's probably because I used to make mods for Civ2. :) I gave up making them on Civ4 - too complicated. But the Wesnoth engine seems to be working for me.

Thanks for the code. That will help alot.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

It looks really nice! Keep up the good work!
Are you planning to have naval warfare in it?
TorMac

Post by TorMac »

PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:It looks really nice! Keep up the good work!

Thank you! Your work is the inspiration behind this. I'm still intimidated by naval warfare. Maybe in a future version. The Egypt campaign would be a really interesting if you had ships similar to the ones in your mod.

Also, a purely naval trafalgar scenario might be interesting... Especially figuring out how to simulate the wind.

I'm new to WML, so I'm trying to restrict myself from getting so ambitious that I don't finish.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

TorMac wrote:
PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:It looks really nice! Keep up the good work!

Thank you! Your work is the inspiration behind this. I'm still intimidated by naval warfare. Maybe in a future version. The Egypt campaign would be a really interesting if you had ships similar to the ones in your mod.

Also, a purely naval trafalgar scenario might be interesting... Especially figuring out how to simulate the wind.

I'm new to WML, so I'm trying to restrict myself from getting so ambitious that I don't finish.
The 18th Century Era work was inspired by the old Gunpowder Era, by Velensk, if I recall.

Well Naval Warfare is not that hard, you are welcome to take some wml from the 18th Century era if you feel it would help.

When I made the 18th Century Campaign, for some odd reason I did not feel attracted to the idea of basing it in a historical war (probably out of lazyness), so, I ended up inventing a fictional story for it.
TorMac

Post by TorMac »

PapaSmurfReloaded wrote: The 18th Century Era work was inspired by the old Gunpowder Era, by Velensk, if I recall.
I'll make sure to also name Velensk in the credits; thanks again.

A few setbacks this week mean the campaign will be ready until April 3. The Invasion of Russia scenario events are being difficult, what with changing seasons and all, but I think the scenario will be challenging and enjoyable.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 17.53.50.png