Witch Campaign: Mountain Witch

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

IIIO_METAL

Re: Witch Campaign: Mountain Witch

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Since I got a new passphrase, I uploaded a version that corrected some of the problems elfoux and Wayirr reported.
Several problems still remain, but I really wanted to confirm that the passphrase is working. Thanks to shadowm. :lol:

Version 1.1.10 can be downloaded from the add-on server.
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

I have found a loophole, not sure if it's intentional:
Spoiler:
There are issues which I see while going further, after update. Perhaps I need to restart the campaign from beginning though.

* Militiamen do not have a sprite
* There is no icon for candle fire at all now
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Thank you for the report.
Spoiler:
There is skill in the preparation of potion. Beginners will waste the majority of the material in a bad formulation, but skilled people use the materials efficiently. The difference appears in the number of potions.

Incomplete of the unit data found will be corrected in the next version.

Unit file changes are not reflected in the units in the save data, the modifications are reflected when the unit is newly created.
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

So, more issues:
* Invalid WML found: unknown conditional wml: [set_variable], happened every time when stone was destroyed in 15_2_March_of_princess
* Side name is not specified in some scenarios which makes victory message display MP name
* In Mermaid Passion hero merman Seabozu tends to go for suicide attacks, after his death you get defeat message. It would be easier if mermaids didn't attack at all then to try and eliminate all enemy before your merman suicide on them.
* Hammer has an AMLA option which doesn't seem to have any use, since you get as many HP as in other options but don't get improved attacks.
* I can't find how to use paralysis bullets. They don't appear in items or anything.
* There were two princesses but in Mountain Village scenario there is only one. In next scenario missing princess reappear
* Iron_Gat has _ in name. Perhaps _ should be reserved for unit id, which is different thing from name.
* EX life potion doesn't always heals fully
* If all enemy units are defeated in Mountain Village scenario Iron_Gat is talking to nobody:
" Your leaders are dead! Magic stone has also been destroyed. Are you going to rush or fight until you die?"
* In Go to Sea scenario you can attack patrol boat as much as you want, unless they run into your red units. If they attack your unit while being adjacent to them, nothing bad happens
* Overall there are many places where a picture is missing. It could be related to case sensitiveness of file system. For example if you reference IMAGE.png file while only file image.png exists it will cause image not to be found
* [object] are used unnecessarily in many places. Objects are permanently stored in unit WML which goes to saves. If you do not need to remove status effect in future (such as in autorepair ability) it's better to heal unit or do other such things with other method.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Wow! The problem became a huge group! :shock:

Anyway thank you for the report.
I can not solve all problems soon, but I will eliminate the problems one by one. It may take a lot of time. :)
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

Do you use tools such as wmlscope? It should help locating and fixing missing images. It's the worst. The rest of problems is tolerable.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Thanks for your advice.
I have never used those tools. I do not have any knowledge to work on the command line, so I will start with getting it.
Anyway, I will try. :D

I added a few hours later.
As a result of working for several hours, I think I understood the usage.
I succeeded in letting wmlscope spit out the report.
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

Sounds great. Though it should have been a bit easier...

So does the report suggest what images are missing? It should at least report militiamen images, since there is different case in directory name and in unit code
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

The report on the absence of images has reached nearly 300 items. I think that I want to eliminate the image defect during this week.
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

Now I'm wondering how did you do that. I did try running wmlscope against your addon and it didn't spit any missing images.

I did however find that PARALYSIS_ATTACK_EVENT defined in two places: "macros/Weapon_Utils.cfg", line 361 and "macros/ABILITY_Mountain_Witch.cfg", line 1750
Same goes to WEAPON_SPECIAL_PARALYSIS ("macros/ABILITY_Mountain_Witch.cfg", line 1740; "macros/Weapon_Utils.cfg", line 336).

And attacks/thorns.png has same path as in core, which makes it unclear did you want to use your version or core version.

There was also complain about WEAPON_SPECIAL_MAGICAL, but it's probably same problem with thorns.png.

It did spit a lot of duplicate image reports. It's not a bug, it's just you unnecessarily put same image files under different names If your intention was to later replace them it is normal.

Do you have a way to grep through multiple files? You can rename your file to attacks/rose_thorns.png for example then find every place where you have used thorns.png and replace it with rose_thorns.png if you want attack icons to be rose or leave it as is if you want mainline attack icon (which is used for elvish druid line)
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

I have little knowledge about Unix, so I may not be able to explain it well.
I read the commentary on wesnoth wiki and applied wmlllint to wmlscope. The arguments to use refer to the explanation of the Makefile in the same directory.
Furthermore my execution environment is OSX, so I had to add some arrangements.
After trial and error, the script I ran was as follows.

Code: Select all

python "/directory/wmlscope" --unresolved "/directory/core" "/directory/Addon name" 1>wmlscope-run.log 2>wmlscope-err.log
If there is a big problem with the add-on, its contents are written in the error log, and wmlscope seems to abort its operation halfway. (In my case, there were two kinds of overlapping macros.) If there are no major problems, wmlscope will continue to run and the report will be written to run.log.
This is successful for simple add-ons that do not depend on other add-ons. It did not succeed on addons with dependencies. I could not understand the cause, but further setting of options is necessary.

After that, when I read the output report firmly, the missing image was less than I thought. Other elements such as deficiencies of macros were described together in the report.
In either case, checking the report one line at a time and making corrections is manual, so it takes a lot of time.

Most trouble is caused by my careless mistake. The problem of thorns.png is one of them. :oops:
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

Add-ons depending on other add-ons you can specify all add-ons in invocation line in once, I guess.
Regarding missing images, some report are probably bogus, not really anything missing, or related to core stuff instead of your addon.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

I don't remember whether any images were missing and which ones (it is been some time I played this), but the last time I digged into that (for another campaign) it was caused by different capitalization (i.e. lowecase/uppercase) between the file name and the way it is referred to.

On case-insensitive file systems like the standard ones on Windows and Mac OS, this doesn't cause problems (you can open A.png when it is actually named a.png), but on case-sensitive file systems like the usual ones on Linux the file is just not found (because both names could coexist).

Running wmlscope on the latest version of Mountain Witch, it breaks down with an error – I think this is a bug in wmlscope (or one library it is using), though (#2052). If I fix that locally, I get just two complaints (in the wmlscope-err.log):
"/home/paulo/.local/share/wesnoth/1.13/data/add-ons/Mountain_Witch/macros/Weapon_Utils.cfg", line 361: overrides different PARALYSIS_ATTACK_EVENT definition at "/home/paulo/.local/share/wesnoth/1.13/data/add-ons/Mountain_Witch/macros/ABILITY_Mountain_Witch.cfg", line 1750
/home/paulo/.local/share/wesnoth/1.13/data/add-ons/Mountain_Witch/images/units/humans/Mountain_mage/MountainMage_s_A2.png is not a valid PNG file
The mentioned PNG file I also can't open with an image viewer, so this seems bad. Not sure if the event definition creates any problem.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Wayirr wrote:Add-ons depending on other add-ons you can specify all add-ons in invocation line in once, I guess.
Regarding missing images, some report are probably bogus, not really anything missing, or related to core stuff instead of your addon.
I have not been able to specify more than one addon yet. I think that it is the biggest reason that I do not understand the syntax, so I will study more.
A lot of reports on the core came out, but I ignore it.
pauxlo wrote:Running wmlscope on the latest version of Mountain Witch, it breaks down with an error – I think this is a bug in wmlscope (or one library it is using), though (#2052). If I fix that locally, I get just two complaints (in the wmlscope-err.log):
This is not a bug, it is due to my mistake that there are multiple macros of the same name. I have not uploaded it yet, but it does not happen with the version being modified.

I recently started learning how to use maintenance tools, but it is regrettable that I have not used it until now.
I am currently working on the following work. Correction of image related work, correction of syntactic error of WML which is relatively easy.
In order not to waste saved data, construction of a macro to replace the modified menu item or variable at the start of the scenario.
I plan to upload a new version when I finish these tasks.

Even after this is complete, some of the reported problems still remain, so I will continue to fix it.
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

Be careful with wmllint though, if it's run without --dry-run it will edit your files by itself, always have a backup just in case, before making use of maintenance tools. Also I recommend using a version control system, for example Git or Fossil , it does allow to track changes in files and undo them if necessary.

However wmllint does know about some changes between wesnoth versions and can fix add-on fully automatically.