Proposals for the next version

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kylix

Proposals for the next version

Post by Kylix »

1. When we are on a crossroad, there shoud be new loyal units and useful objects in both ways (for example in "The Rise of Wesnoth", in the Swamp of Esten, we can find both Minister Edren, a White Mage, and Sir Ruddry, a knight, while in The Midlands we can find only Sir Ladoc, Sir Ruddry's "counterpart"; in "The Heir to the Throne", in Isle of the Damned, we can find Delurin, an outlaw who allows us to recruit outlaws, yet unfortunately only in that scenario, and Moremirmu, an anomalous white mage, while in Muff Malal's Peninsula we don't find anyone and in Swamp of Dread we can find the Void Armor, while in Snow Plains we can't find anything).
2. In The South Guard, Jarek should be a loyal unit (same thing for other units like Sisal in Northern Rebirth) and, in Choice in the Fog, instead of choosing between elves and outlaws, Urza Afalas should be from the first turn an ally unit, but it would be the only scenario in which we couldn't control him. Ethiliel would threaten him, until, in the cave, she and the others realize he had been right.
3. In Northern Rebirth we shoud be defeated even when Krash and Eryssa are killed and Abhai should have a death dialogue, like all the important loyal units.
4. Recurrant enemies (for example Dela Keshar in Descent into Darkness) should have death dialogues when they're finally killed/definitely defeated.
5. New avatars for some units, precisely those who have the same avatar after they have evolved, like all the Saurian, whose lineages have the same avatar.
6. Liminal units should have +25% during dawn and dusk, just like lawful and chaotic units.
7. New campaigns that fill the holes in the gap between Son of Black Eye and Under the Burning Suns (the Fall, Zhangor, Uria and "Eloh" mentions a staff of Ishtar). But, remember that, according to Descent into Darkness' storyline, Mal Keshar has been destroyed by the Foolish Hero.
8. Avatars for the units who don't have one, like Khalifate and Quenoth elves factions.
9. Improve the campaigns Dead Water and Under the Burning Suns.
10. Loyal units who join the battle, like Burin the Lost, Grog/Jarl, Ratheln, etc. should allow us to recruit their fellow.
11. In "The Heir to the Throne", from Isle of the Damned on, we should be able to recruit outlaws even in the other scenarios until Delurin dies.

Now I have to go, if I get something in mind I'll tell you.
The_Gnat

Re: Proposals for the next version

Post by The_Gnat »

Very interesting ideas! I suggest you post the various ideas on the threads where other people are discussing. For Example here are the topics for the mainline campaigns. And here is the topic for the newest wesnoth development version.

As for new avatars LordBob is currently working on new portraits for the campaign Under the Burning Suns.

Unfortunately though i don't think that any new campaigns are being created to fill the gaps, but if you are interested in creating a storyline for a campaign i am sure there are people who would help create a campaign out of it.

Hopefully this information helps. :D
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

, while in Snow Plains we can't find anything).
You did not find the Ancient Elven heirloom, the Flaming Sword? That's just sad. :lol: :lol: :lol:
2. In The South Guard, Jarek should be a loyal unit (same thing for other units like Sisal in Northern Rebirth) and, in Choice in the Fog, instead of choosing between elves and outlaws, Urza Afalas should be from the first turn an ally unit, but it would be the only scenario in which we couldn't control him. Ethiliel would threaten him, until, in the cave, she and the others realize he had been right.
Given the campaign is already on Novice Level, this change would make it even easier...which is something most of the community would not approve of.
7. New campaigns that fill the holes in the gap between Son of Black Eye and Under the Burning Suns (the Fall, Zhangor, Uria and "Eloh" mentions a staff of Ishtar). But, remember that, according to Descent into Darkness' storyline, Mal Keshar has been destroyed by the Foolish Hero.
You have to wait maybe another decade for this to happen. Plus, UtBS is being revised to suit the plot of IftU and AtS, so MAL KESHAR STILL EXISTS! :D
10. Loyal units who join the battle, like Burin the Lost, Grog/Jarl, Ratheln, etc. should allow us to recruit their fellow.
Ratheln does allow you to recruit mages...and if he dies, mages are removed from your recruit list, but you still retain the levelled ones. Burin the Lost was a solo explorer. Grog volunteered to accompany the Quenoth Elves but most of the trolls stayed behind. Please review he story lore before posting such irrelevant ideas.
11. In "The Heir to the Throne", from Isle of the ****ed on, we should be able to recruit outlaws even in the other scenarios until Delurin dies.
Now, this is something I agree with. Outlaws should join Konrad's faction since well, they are oppressed by the Queen's harsh reign.
6. Liminal units should have +25% during dawn and dusk, just like lawful and chaotic units.
Liminal units currently have high damage and giving this boon would make them OP.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:
, while in Snow Plains we can't find anything).
You did not find the Ancient Elven heirloom, the Flaming Sword? That's just sad. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Where could we find that thing?
Given the campaign is already on Novice Level, this change would make it even easier...which is something most of the community would not approve of.
That choice is still incosistent. Deoran and Afalas have common enemies, why should they turn each other, unlike in many other campaigns?
You have to wait maybe another decade for this to happen. Plus, UtBS is being revised to suit the plot of IftU and AtS, so MAL KESHAR STILL EXISTS! :D
I know, I played those campaigns, but Descent into Darkness' end isn't happy, just like Girl Undead and Danse Macabre, in which the protagonists had been destroyed at the end.
Ratheln does allow you to recruit mages...and if he dies, mages are removed from your recruit list, but you still retain the levelled ones. Burin the Lost was a solo explorer. Grog volunteered to accompany the Quenoth Elves but most of the trolls stayed behind. Please review he story lore before posting such irrelevant ideas.
I completely forgot Master Perrin is the one who allows you to recruit mages.
11. In "The Heir to the Throne", from Isle of the ****ed on, we should be able to recruit outlaws even in the other scenarios until Delurin dies.
Now, this is something I agree with. Outlaws should join Konrad's faction since well, they are oppressed by the Queen's harsh reign.
Liminal units currently have high damage and giving this boon would make them OP.
But I think it's unfair lawful and chaotic units get +25% damage respectively in daytime and in nighttime, while liminal units don't get that bonus.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Kylix wrote:1. When we are on a crossroad, there shoud be new loyal units and useful objects in both ways (for example in "The Rise of Wesnoth", in the Swamp of Esten, we can find both Minister Edren, a White Mage, and Sir Ruddry, a knight, while in The Midlands we can find only Sir Ladoc, Sir Ruddry's "counterpart"; in "The Heir to the Throne", in Isle of the Damned, we can find Delurin, an outlaw who allows us to recruit outlaws, yet unfortunately only in that scenario, and Moremirmu, an anomalous white mage, while in Muff Malal's Peninsula we don't find anyone and in Swamp of Dread we can find the Void Armor, while in Snow Plains we can't find anything).
3. In Northern Rebirth we shoud be defeated even when Krash and Eryssa are killed and Abhai should have a death dialogue, like all the important loyal units.
4. Recurrant enemies (for example Dela Keshar in Descent into Darkness) should have death dialogues when they're finally killed/definitely defeated.
5. New avatars for some units, precisely those who have the same avatar after they have evolved, like all the Saurian, whose lineages have the same avatar.
8. Avatars for the units who don't have one, like Khalifate and Quenoth elves factions.
9. Improve the campaigns Dead Water and Under the Burning Suns.
11. In "The Heir to the Throne", from Isle of the Damned on, we should be able to recruit outlaws even in the other scenarios until Delurin dies.

Now I have to go, if I get something in mind I'll tell you.
1. Don't agree. You can have diverging paths as different difficulties or styles (want to go cave or want to roam the plains?) as well, although the tendency to give larger rewards on the more difficult path completely undermines this.
6. This is completely arbitrary, liminal units will always stick out like a sore thumb (4 times a day with one stat, 2 times with a difference whether it is -25%/+0% or +0%/+25%) just requiring rebalancing.
9. Dead Water is imo one of the best campaigns in mainline. Much better all around than Descent into Darkness, Hammer of Thursagan, Heir to the Throne etc. So maybe point out your specific proposals in a relevant thread.
10. Why?
11. Why? (Your roster is already too large in HttT w/ elves, loyalist horsemen, merfolk, gryphons, dwarves, mages.)
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
pe_em

Post by pe_em »

Drakes' campaign is the answer. They still remain only default era faction without a mainline campaign. There are already a few considerable user-made campaigns for drakes. My favourite is Brave Wings by SkyOne and I would like to see this one in mainline if both SkyOne and developers agree.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread if I post my own (mainline campaign related) wishes. I think all the mainline campaigns are already very good but there's always room to improve.
  1. The South Guard Elven Path, Delfador's Memoirs (and maybe HttT): I feel the final battles for these campaigns are extremely anticlimactic.
  2. Eastern Invasion: I think the last scenario Weldyn Besieged (not to be confused with the 2nd to last, Weldyn under attack) is far too reliant on luck (not the combat kind). And it also appears to be missing some important dialogue, about the undead respawning? (I asked about this in the feedback thread but didn't get a reply)
  3. Hammer of Thursagan: A final scenario which does not consist of 100+ turns of bottleneck camping.
  4. Sceptre of Fire: Replace Krawg's ridiculous "dialogue" with plain English. I'm a native speaker and can't understand it :(
  5. Legend of Wesmere: Rebalancing (the last part of the campaign is far too easy), and a change to the way enemy shared sides recruit so it is not headache inducing (scrolls the screen for every recruited unit).
  6. Rise of Wesnoth, Under the Burning Suns: Make the triggered spawns happen more naturally (e.g. appear on a certain turn) / appear further away / remove them.
  7. Northern Rebirth: Tell the player about the immortal white mage thing (or better yet, remove it, but this is wishful thinking)
  8. Dead Water: A level 4 advancement for Inky the kraken!
(Well maybe not the last one, but you know it would be awesome :D )
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:Plus, UtBS is being revised to suit the plot of IftU and AtS
This is not the case.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hammer of Thursagan: A final scenario which does not consist of 100+ turns of bottleneck camping.
The Underlevels was a really pathetic scenario. Took me like 3 days (and 250 turns) to finish it because I was bored AF. The Side 2 leader should be given 5000 gold when he is activated. Otherwise, he just does nothing with negative income.
Drakes' campaign is the answer. They still remain only default era faction without a mainline campaign. There are already a few considerable user-made campaigns for drakes. My favourite is Brave Wings by SkyOne and I would like to see this one in mainline if both SkyOne and developers agree.
Still waiting for Wings of Victory. I PM-ed the original maintainer (and possibly author) if I could take over the development and finish it for him, but no reply....
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Kente

Post by Kente »

Kylix wrote: 2. In The South Guard, Jarek should be a loyal unit (same thing for other units like Sisal in Northern Rebirth) and, in Choice in the Fog, instead of choosing between elves and outlaws, Urza Afalas should be from the first turn an ally unit, but it would be the only scenario in which we couldn't control him. Ethiliel would threaten him, until, in the cave, she and the others realize he had been right.
i totally disagree with this point. First, because i really loved the Outlaws branch (specially Pebbles in the flood) and (if i understand correctly) you want to remove it. Why? Removing a branch doesn't give any deeper meaning to the storyline. In your way, the player will be able to please everyone, but i like the idea you have to choose one side and antagonize the other side. It feels more realistic.
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

Kente wrote:
Kylix wrote: 2. In The South Guard, Jarek should be a loyal unit (same thing for other units like Sisal in Northern Rebirth) and, in Choice in the Fog, instead of choosing between elves and outlaws, Urza Afalas should be from the first turn an ally unit, but it would be the only scenario in which we couldn't control him. Ethiliel would threaten him, until, in the cave, she and the others realize he had been right.
i totally disagree with this point. First, because i really loved the Outlaws branch (specially Pebbles in the flood) and (if i understand correctly) you want to remove it. Why? Removing a branch doesn't give any deeper meaning to the storyline. In your way, the player will be able to please everyone, but i like the idea you have to choose one side and antagonize the other side. It feels more realistic.
I don't want to remove anything. I think they should be all allies. The difference would be that Mal M'Brin would be defeated quickly, like in the elf branch, outlaws and elves wouldn't persecute us (in that scenario they could put new opponents to remedy these lacks) and that neither Sir Gerrick nor Urza Afalas would sacrifice themselves (I felt disappointed when, in the outlaw branch, only the first one had been commemorated).
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Inky wrote:Eastern Invasion: I think the last scenario Weldyn Besieged (not to be confused with the 2nd to last, Weldyn under attack) is far too reliant on luck (not the combat kind).
In what way is Weldyn Besieged reliant on luck?
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Vyncyn wrote:In what way is Weldyn Besieged reliant on luck?
Well the scenario setup is you fight 7 liches, each with basically an endless amount of units, and one of them is Mal Ravanal (which you have to kill) - you don't know which one, so you have to find out by attacking each lich. Whether each lich is Mal Ravanal is determined by the RNG so he could be the second lich you attack (making the scenario trivially easy) or the very last one (making the scenario almost impossibly difficult, since it takes time to reveal each lich and you will be run over by the undead horde very quickly).

I think everyone just chooses The Duel instead, but I always felt that was a bit of an anticlimactic way to end the campaign.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

When I played the campaign (in a previous version) the Liches were named, so you could see who was Mal Ravanal. Did they change this?

Edit: Just cheated my way through the campaign. The last scenario is really way to hard compared to the alternative.
Last edited by Vyncyn on January 15th, 2017, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Inky wrote:Well the scenario setup is you fight 7 liches, each with basically an endless amount of units, and one of them is Mal Ravanal (which you have to kill) - you don't know which one, so you have to find out by attacking each lich. Whether each lich is Mal Ravanal is determined by the RNG so he could be the second lich you attack (making the scenario trivially easy) or the very last one (making the scenario almost impossibly difficult, since it takes time to reveal each lich and you will be run over by the undead horde very quickly).
I have to agree that it shouldn't really be left to the RNG. The gold bonuses from killing enemies aren't very nice, either.

I'll see what I can do, but if you have more specific and balanced suggestions beyond the ones in the feedback thread then that wouldn't hurt.