Dragon Fight: SP Scenario for 1.12/1.14

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sergey

Re: Dragon Fight: SP Scenario

Post by sergey »

After asking cephalo I've created Rich Marinaccio's Dragons resource add-on with the dragon images and macros for animation.

Released version 1.1.2
- switched to Rich Marinaccio's Dragons
- added dragon animation for several events
- renamed 'berserk' weapon special to 'rage' to avoid confusion, also now it enables on 50% hp instead of 40%
- another minor changes
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

hey sergey, I played your add-on yesterday. It was quite amusing. :)
-Sometimes the map looks a bit dull. Try adding more decorations and varieties of terrain.
- I'm not sure if all events are working right, more specifically I don't think i got the 40 gold from the treasury.
-How about placing the items scattered on the whole map instead of in a single village? Also instead of multiple items from the same type, more variety would be interesting.

Keep up the good work!
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
sergey

Post by sergey »

Paulomat4, thanks for playing the scenario and for your reply.

General question - what difficulty you played and what do you think about the balance on that level?
Paulomat4 wrote: - I'm not sure if all events are working right, more specifically I don't think i got the 40 gold from the treasury.
Could you please reproduce it (and ideally attach the replay)? There are a few cases which player probably won't see, but they are handled properly and tested by me. Talking about the treasury - it may be burned by the dragon and should not give the gold, player may move a non human race unit to the treasury. It is really a pain for the programmer to hear "I think there is a bug in your code". Generally there are always some bugs, but if you find any please bugreport it.
Paulomat4 wrote: -How about placing the items scattered on the whole map instead of in a single village? Also instead of multiple items from the same type, more variety would be interesting.
There are other useful villages. I think that such villages with custom events are more interesting rather than placing items. Have you triggered all the labeled villages? I thought about some sort of lamp which gives the illuminates effect like the Mage of Light have. But that will significantly change the game balance and I would have to playtest the scenario again to rebalance it, maybe later. And maybe it is even better to not have such lamp, so player's strategy is more dependent on the time of a day. Do you have an idea of items you would like to be there in the scenario?
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Could you please reproduce it (and ideally attach the replay)?
Sure, here is the replay. In the first turn I move a bowman to the Treasury an he says that it contains 40 gold. At least I guessed that I should get it.
General question - what difficulty you played and what do you think about the balance on that level?
I played on medium difficulty. Difficulty was adequate, I made a lot of errors like recruiting too many mages who are costly and are super ineffective without an item. Got the skellies too late, didn't use leadership effectively. And it was tight at the end.
Do you have an idea of items you would like to be there in the scenario?
About new items, I don't know, maybe some kind of holy water? Also maybe some event that triggers a knight and a few riders as help? Needs to be balanced.
It is really a pain for the programmer to hear "I think there is a bug in your code
hey I now that from somewhere. :D been coding for wesnoth for years.
Attachments
DF-Dragon_Fight_replay.gz
(28.47 KiB) Downloaded 395 times

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
sergey

Post by sergey »

Paulomat4 wrote: Sure, here is the replay. In the first turn I move a bowman to the Treasury an he says that it contains 40 gold. At least I guessed that I should get it.
And you got the gold :) Probably you missed that because you recruited 2 mages right before and spent 40 gold. All other events in the attached replay are also working as expected.

P.S. That little dark adept was really lucky. She should get a "dragon survivor" and "dragon slayer" medals :D
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Probably you missed that because you recruited 2 mages right before and spent 40 gold
Oh well, that might be. Sry for the false alarm then.
That little dark adept was really lucky. She should get a "dragon survivor" and "dragon slayer" medals
Yeah, I was a bit sad that she didn't level up, she was so close. :)

sergey

Post by sergey »

Paulomat4 wrote:Yeah, I was a bit sad that she didn't level up, she was so close. :)
And what next? Almost the whole town is dead, field is full of corpses, her boyfriend was killed by the dragon and she is lvl 2 dark sorcerer. She may become truly evil :D

P.S. I think that may be a fun idea to show in the last message that some of units were awarded medals depending on how they fight the dragon. And there might be a short stories how they live their lifes after the dragon incident, though I am not sure.

Is here a native speaker, I wonder what is a traditional way to say that someone got a medal after his death? "awarded posthumously", "awarded post mortem" ?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

noticed a few typos: (current version on left, correction of the right)
undeads > undead
until i am alive > as long as i am alive
even dead it's horrendous > even while dead it still looks horrendous
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
sergey

Post by sergey »

Great thanks, ForestDragon!
So 1.1.3 is released according to your remarks.

Maybe you know the answer on my previous question.
what is a traditional way to say that someone got a medal after his death? "awarded posthumously", "awarded post mortem" ?
I may use it in the future.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

sergey wrote:Great thanks, ForestDragon!
So 1.1.3 is released according to your remarks.

Maybe you know the answer on my previous question.
what is a traditional way to say that someone got a medal after his death? "awarded posthumously", "awarded post mortem" ?
I may use it in the future.
well, there are things like Google for that :)

also, more ideas of mine:
1.give the dragon a some kind of speech, the sounds/portraits for dragon talking are present in Library of Kratemaqht (i might have spelled it wrong, sorry) maybe demanding to eat all of the livestock, as well as maybe a few peasants. (no pretty damsels though, we don't want over-fairy-tale-ish-ness, do we?) but make sure it's not some kind of cliche villain monologue. also, make him sound kinda clumsy too, since he probably barely knows human language (the best he knows is how to demand livestock :)) so, he doesn't just appear because he can :)
2.maybe add a chance for the dragon to randomly spawn fire guardians nearby?
3. also, how about achievements which are shown when you beat the dragon.
4.when going into the barn, you add an option to release some livestock they panically run in different directions. the dragon will prefer to attack livestock over humans, which could serve as a decent distraction
5.Merissa (or whatever her name is) can raise dead soldiers as undead, but it could either cost some gold, or take her 1 turn per soldier
6.make the dragon scream before dying
7. how about this: if Merissa gets frost gloves, she'll gain a new melee attack, like 4-2 cold

EDIT: dialogue ideas: (old on the left, new on the right)
Dragon is raging! Now all its offensive attacks will be finished only when its victim is dead. > The dragon has now gone insane! Now all of its offensive attacks will be finished only when its victims are dead.

Some gold may be found here > Some gold could be found here

Some goods may be found here > Some goods could be found here

Move Dyddyn to the house to take his armor > Move Dyddyn to the house in order for him to take his equipment

Dyddyn took his armor > Dyddyn already has his armor on him

Ranger is probably at home > The ranger is probably at his home

I shouldn't drink that much.. > I shouldn't have drank that much...

If sir will ask by himself, I will think about that.. Now go away, I am drinking with my friends! > If Sir Lorraent will ask by himself, I will think about that.. Now go away, I am busy drinking with my friends!

We are drinking with friends and won't go anywhere. > I am are drinking with friends, and i ai'nt goin' won't go anywhere. (gave him a slightlu drunker speech)

You can rely on me and two my friends. Deal? > You can rely on me and two of my friends. Deal?

Good. Folks, finish your beer. That is our duty to protect homeland! > Good. Folks, finish your beer! It's our duty to protect our homeland!

Then go away! > Then just go away! <i>Grmph</i>...

Otherwise they wil be fallen too. > Otherwise they will just return to their eternal sleep.

I said they will help us! > See? I told you they will help us! (since the old version sounded like if the undead actually didn't do that)

It's a pity I can't fight neither deal with a magic stick! > Magic sticks? meh, i am fine with just my hands!

Vygwyn, we are attacked by the dragon! > Vygwyn, we are attacked by a freaking dragon!

I can't believe my eyes, what a terrific creature. > "Are you drunk?" new message line: "*looks to the east* Oh... my... goodness... you weren't drunk after all! *sigh*, i guess i have to help you, it's not like i have much of a choice here."

What a hell are you?" > What the hell are you?"

Vygwyn, this undead will help us fight the dragon. > Vygwyn, these undead will help us defeat the dragon.

Undead are fighting against dragon. Remind me again please, which of them is our ally? > Undead fighting against a dragon? Can you remind me again please, which of them is our ally?

Undead are allies > *facepalm* Undead. they are our allies.

... > Ah! i get it now! thanks.

That;s pretty much it, the correction are from top to bottom of the scenario file
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
sergey

Post by sergey »

Wow, thank you very much!
1.give the dragon a some kind of speech, the sounds/portraits for dragon talking are present in Library of Kratemaqht (i might have spelled it wrong, sorry) maybe demanding to eat all of the livestock, as well as maybe a few peasants. (no pretty damsels though, we don't want over-fairy-tale-ish-ness, do we?) but make sure it's not some kind of cliche villain monologue. also, make him sound kinda clumsy too, since he probably barely knows human language (the best he knows is how to demand livestock :)) so, he doesn't just appear because he can :)
He doesn't appear just because he can :) But the people don't know why he came (at least not all of them). I am thinking about credits when player wins the scenario. There will be short description about future of the town depending on events / deaths / scenario statistics and such. There will be probably a hint about why he came. If I will add the credits, of course.
4.when going into the barn, you add an option to release some livestock they panically run in different directions. the dragon will prefer to attack livestock over humans, which could serve as a decent distraction
And what if dragon is far away from the barn? He just leave everything and go there?
That is not humanely, but peasants actually may be served as a sacrifice / distraction, because AI prefers to attack weak enemies. Сruelty and despair is an intentional part of the scenario. I wanted to show that when dragon attacks, someone may run/hide and safe his life or fight and most likely die.

I will use almost all speeches you proposed, except few of them described below.
We are drinking with friends and won't go anywhere. > I am are drinking with friends, and i ai'nt goin' won't go anywhere. (gave him a slightlu drunker speech)
All the other his speeches doesn't show he is drunk. Also he is not drunk since he didn't get any characteristics changed.
It's a pity I can't fight neither deal with a magic stick! > Magic sticks? meh, i am fine with just my hands!
That will also change her character a little bit. She can't use a stick just because she is different. She is not supercilious. She is eager for knowledge and skills. Because of that she doesn't like "I-Know-Everything" mentor, actually she want to know even more.
Vygwyn, we are attacked by the dragon! > Vygwyn, we are attacked by a freaking dragon!
The speaker is scared by the dragon to the death. He won't say such words about him. It's like he don't want to make the dragon angry. Of course the dragon anyway won't hear / understand the words, but that's probably some sort of psychological trick.
I can't believe my eyes, what a terrific creature. > "Are you drunk?" new message line: "*looks to the east* Oh... my... goodness... you weren't drunk after all! *sigh*, i guess i have to help you, it's not like i have much of a choice here."
I will change it a little bit (*looks to the east*), since we don't know were the dragon will be when the dialog occurs.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

well, understood, feel free to do whatever you want.

about credits: great idea!

about targeting livestock: i only meant that the dragon should have a higher priority of attacking livestock, not that he'll abondon everything else
sergey

Post by sergey »

Released version 1.1.4 - updated dialogs according to ForestDragon's remarks.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

hi, so, here are some more dialog remarks (they weren't in the scenario file, so i glossed over them before):

This building is burned by the dragon. > This building has been burned by the dragon.

At least we are alone, dear Merissa. > At last we are alone, dear Merissa.

That's true, honey. I am sick of our I-Know-Everything mentor Rheoran. > That's true, honey. You know, I am sick of our 'I-Know-Everything' mentor Rheoran.

Wait, my love. What is that in the sky? > Wait, my love. What is that thing in the sky?

multiple options here
Do you see that too? > Did you see that too?> Am i the only one seeing this?

Yes, I should run.. to the graveyard. And summon undead to protect the town. Now everybody who hated me because of my dark side will change their mind. > Yes, I will... to the graveyard. And i am going to summon undead in order to protect the town. Now, everybody who hated me because of my dark side will change their mind.

I always knew our town guards are cowards. Me and my students must engage in the battle. There should be a few magic items in the school to help fight the fire dragon. > I always knew that our town guards are just a bunch of cowards. Looks like there isn't much choice for me and my students, other than to engage in the battle. At least there should be a few magic items left in the school that might help us fight the fire dragon.

Dyddyn, I know you are retired. > Dyddyn, I know you are retired, but...

That doesn't matter now. I am going home to take my armor. Also I can call some folks to fight. > That doesn't matter now. I am going home to take my armor, I can't just stand idly while our people are about to get killed. Besides, I could rally some folks to fight.

The dragon is defeated. Even while dead it still looks horrendous. > The dragon has been defeated. Even while dead it still looks horrendous.
CannonFodder

Post by CannonFodder »

Huh, this was a fun little scenario, definitely a massacre, but such stuff is bound to happen when such a gigantic beast appears!

I like the properties of the dragon, although I expected the fire breath to behave similarly to that in Library of Kratemaqht (also damaging adjacent units), but with the behaviour you applied on him, it would likely make the scenario impossible. I just recalled it, not that it matters here (I think what you did to the dragon's characteristics fits well).

I second that some epilogue would make this scenario more fun, more interesting to replay, to see what comes out of it in the end for the survivors. Complex stuff, just something if you are interested. I like the randomness, of course it only works well as a single scenario (as it is difficult to predict what would happen, it all depends on how the dragon acts, who he picks which you can only follow trying to apply some tactic), but it does work well.