The Ravagers - SP campaign for Wesnoth 1.16 [Feedback and development]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: The Ravagers - SP campaign now for 1.14 - [Feedback and development]

Post by Konrad2 »

That passage about elder vampires:
'when they find someone they fancy, the eat.' -> they eat
Recruitlist is enabled for FoV.

FoV3
Your leader flees until all townspeople - 2 have made their escape, so it's possible that he flees before everyone made their escape.

It's funny that I can recruit on that house behind me in FoV4.

EDIT:
FoV4
My allies units only move if there is an enemy in attack range.
Just now I've managed to *hit* with tactical advantage and deal 0 dmg...
Am I really allowed to make a Gargoyle bleed? (savage weapon)

EDIT 2:
It would be cool if units who slay epic enemies got renamed. Unit the xxx Slayer. :D

EDIT 3:
Adda demands upkeep on lvl 2.

EDIT 4:
FoV5
Why the heck are the trolls and the vampires allied? (Undead and vampires...okay. But trolls and vampires?)

EDIT 5:
Why does the Elvish Vanquisher have +20% arcane resist? On many weaknesses instead. :(
You have two kinds of Dwarvish Runesmiths and Dwarvish Arcanisters?
Petrify works on encampments as well. ._. And humanstyle castles.

EDIT 6:
You might want to limit the number of times I can play Whess. This way I can win as many times as I want, amassing a crazy fortune. Also, Dayton is surprised about the speaking units every single time they play.

EDIT 7:
Ban petrify before both players had a turn.
TRS-The Inn Again-Auto-Save2.gz
Why petrify before you had your turn is very uncool.
(288.84 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
Kinda lucky that I had Humans.
Attachments
TRS-(FoV 5) Vrahim's Catacombs replay.gz
(145.6 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
TRS-(FoV 4) The Flight replay.gz
(125.08 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
TRS-(FoV 3) Vrahim's Fate replay.gz
(110.27 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
TRS-(FoV 2) Another Victim replay.gz
(93.53 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Konrad2 wrote: January 10th, 2019, 9:54 pm FoV3
Your leader flees until all townspeople - 2 have made their escape, so it's possible that he flees before everyone made their escape.
It's because you are allowed to lose two of them, so there is no need to contine playing if only two are left, and you haven't lost any. It's why Ysladiath says "most of our people have fled..."
It's funny that I can recruit on that house behind me in FoV4.
It's a castle overlayed tile for better protection, but it doesn't seem to work anyway, I'll fix it.
My allies units only move if there is an enemy in attack range.
It's a very defensive AI, otherwise he kept blindly rushing out and always ended up close to being no help at all. It might still need some tweeking.
Just now I've managed to *hit* with tactical advantage and deal 0 dmg...
I know. The reason is that in 1.14 anything I do with

Code: Select all

[animate_unit
sometimes happens really fast. On multiple computers, I'm not sure why this happens, but in this special case, many times it happened so fast, it couldn't even be seen.

[harm_unit]
works better, but the tradeoff is the floating '0' when missing.
Am I really allowed to make a Gargoyle bleed? (savage weapon)
Shouldn't be :) Filtering on mechanicals is probably missing.
It would be cool if units who slay epic enemies got renamed. Unit the xxx Slayer. :D
Yeah, that's a great idea :)
Why the heck are the trolls and the vampires allied? (Undead and vampires...okay. But trolls and vampires?)
In order not to 'disturb' and thus let the guardian vampires go. However, trolls are very isolated, so maybe their alliance is not needed for balance and could be removed.
Why does the Elvish Vanquisher have +20% arcane resist? On many weaknesses instead. :(
Now I don't know if that was my idea or came from the era I got Vanquisher from. But I'll take a look at those resistances. And fix the dwarves.
Petrify works on encampments as well. ._. And humanstyle castles.
Then I misremembered. Anyway, it's WIP.
You might want to limit the number of times I can play Whess. This way I can win as many times as I want, amassing a crazy fortune. Also, Dayton is surprised about the speaking units every single time they play.
I was thinking of introducing the exact value of gold that Baldor has, or at least that can be won from him. If you lose, it's added to it, so it's not the number of plays that would be limited, but the gold that can be obtained, and that could also differ on difficulties. :) I'm inclined towards the mean of about 100 gold (5 drinks, 8 if you get discount from Jon), but I'm interested - would you say it's an OK limit, too much, or not strict enough?
Ban petrify before both players had a turn.
Right, will do that.
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

It's a very defensive AI, otherwise he kept blindly rushing out and always ended up close to being no help at all. It might still need some tweeking.
This worked as you intended and it was helpful. I merely pointed it out as a 'is this intended?' kind of thing.
I know. The reason is that in 1.14 anything I do with

[animate_unit
sometimes happens really fast. On multiple computers, I'm not sure why this happens, but in this special case, many times it happened so fast, it couldn't even be seen.

[harm_unit]
works better, but the tradeoff is the floating '0' when missing.
Tell the player about it and all is good. ^^
Shouldn't be :) Filtering on mechanicals is probably missing.
Actually, your gargoyles are missing 'mechanical' to begin with. I can poison them as well. (Created an Orcish Assasin to test it.)
In order not to 'disturb' and thus let the guardian vampires go. However, trolls are very isolated, so maybe their alliance is not needed for balance and could be removed.
The trolls are almost unable to reach the vampires anyway.
Now I don't know if that was my idea or came from the era I got Vanquisher from. But I'll take a look at those resistances. And fix the dwarves.
I was thinking of introducing the exact value of gold that Baldor has, or at least that can be won from him. If you lose, it's added to it, so it's not the number of plays that would be limited, but the gold that can be obtained, and that could also differ on difficulties. :) I'm inclined towards the mean of about 100 gold (5 drinks, 8 if you get discount from Jon), but I'm interested - would you say it's an OK limit, too much, or not strict enough?
I'm thinking more along the lines of 180, that's three full betting games. :D Just because I like that number. (I'm not yet at a point where I have used any drink ingame, so...)

EDIT:
'He nearly escaped with his life' -> barely
(It's when Dayton starts the story about the father of that kid.)

CT 1
Units dying due to bleeding do not turn into ghosts.
For some reason Palldry is able to attack and move afterwards.

EDIT 2:
CT 2
That part where Vodyon wants a cut.
slider.png
This bug apparently screws around with some things wesnoth does. So, please fix it asap. :D (Restarting wesnoth is a fix for those screwed up things though, so it's not fatal or anything.)
Attachments
TRS-(CT 2) Valley of Death.gz
(70.77 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
TRS-(CT 1) The Curse of the Map-Auto-Save2.gz
(197.79 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Konrad2 wrote: January 12th, 2019, 1:00 am Actually, your gargoyles are missing 'mechanical' to begin with. I can poison them as well. (Created an Orcish Assasin to test it.)
Yeah, gave them mechanical.

Umm, I'm sure you missed some [ quote ]'s in there, your reply is missing :D However, I don't see multiple dwarves (at the time of my previous answer I wasn't around the game). Are you sure it's not an installed era or mod that's causing it?
I'm thinking more along the lines of 180, that's three full betting games. :D Just because I like that number. (I'm not yet at a point where I have used any drink ingame, so...)
I've decided on a more gradual approach. He starts with a decent amount (60-80), and adds a bit more with each inn session. I've also redefined other values like maximum bet, minimum bet and step size. This is to avoid the option to drain him fully the first time, and then only be able to play 'just for fun'. See full changelog for exact details :)
Fixed Dayton always being surprised, and also reworked the leader's dialogues to be a bit more... hmm... just check it out. :D
Spoiler:
Note: With saved games the following behavior applies: On the next inn session it will count as if Baldor had been drained to 0 in the previous, and will only have as much as the annual addition. Carryover will apply from then on.
Units dying due to bleeding do not turn into ghosts.
For some reason Palldry is able to attack and move afterwards.
I'm not sure that's a problem, but I will reconsider it.
Check out Palldry's 'disengage' ability ;)
That part where Vodyon wants a cut.
slider.png
This bug apparently screws around with some things wesnoth does. So, please fix it asap. :D
It's unrelated to Wesnoth, "only" a lua error. Fixed it :)

And uploaded 1.1.7 with the fixes and some of the recommended new stuff:
Changelog 1.1.7:
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

WhiteWolf wrote: January 12th, 2019, 8:33 pm Now I don't know if that was my idea or came from the era I got Vanquisher from. But I'll take a look at those resistances. And fix the dwarves.
I probably just forgot to delete this part after quoting your whole post.
I'm not sure that's a problem, but I will reconsider it.
Check out Palldry's 'disengage' ability ;)
It's a 'problem', because units killed by mutineers are supposed to turn into ghosts, right? And those don't. ^^
Check out my save file, where he doesn't have this ability. ;) xD
TRS-(CT 1) The Curse of the Map Turn 5.gz
(194.26 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
It's unrelated to Wesnoth, "only" a lua error. Fixed it :)
I only meant that running into this bug creates some weird bugs in the running wesnoth session.

EDIT:
I completly forgot this, but in FoV5 near one of the two free keeps there are three hexes that 'should' be unwalkable, but they are walkable. Sorry. D:

EDIT 2:
CT2
Vodyon demands upkeep.
The 'should be unwalkable' goes for a lot of hexes near your starting point in CT2 too.

EDIT 3:
Monsters are allied with everyone but my team? Really? ._. This does not make sense...

EDIT 4:
Those monsters are also a pretty heavy disadvantage for my team. They act as natural guardians for all of my enemies.

EDIT 5:
CT3
The Desert Elf leader demands upkeep. It's probably the same for the Dunefolk leader.
31,31 is a hill that pretends to be grassland. (Bad decorative stuff.)

EDIT 6:
Your Bone Captain needs 'plague', otherwise he makes no sense as advancement for the Cursed Sailor.
And you might want to change the description of the Dark Spirit (and advancements), because those are not using maces.

EDIT 7:
Sadly you don't see Tharos blow up the walls. Would you mind addind some code that makes the game scroll to the place he's about to blow up?
Why is there a magic circle on 44,9 and 40,2 (walls)?
Every Coffinhex behaves like grassland. (Bad decorative stuff.)
While I'm unable to recruit Raiders, I can still recall them.

EDIT 8:
You might want to check whether it's Thanos who is discovering the right coffin. That way the dialog might make more sense.
Attachments
TRS-(CT 3) Cave of Ghosts replay.gz
(143.3 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
TRS-(CT 2) Valley of Death replay.gz
(174.01 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
TRS-(CT 2) Valley of Death-Auto-Save33.gz
Annoying shift of objectives
(297.55 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
Look at the reaper.
Look at the reaper.
Last edited by Konrad2 on January 14th, 2019, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Please excuse my absence, I'll try to take a look at these in the following days :)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Face of the Enemy
'suspiciosly' -> suspiciously
Elvish rebels -> Evlish Rebels (team name)
I will cheat myself some gold, because none of my carryover gold from Sc10 is there. Please fix that. :(

Btw, 'errors' in my replays mean mostly that I used debug mode turn some silver heroes upkeep to 0.

EDIT:
Looks like my carryover gold from Sc10 appeared in Sc11 (flashback scenario). That explains why it was so easy. xD Anyway, fix it please. >.<

EDIT 2:
'heavy' doesn't seem to work?
TRS-(12) Face of the Enemy Turn 6.gz
(318.84 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
Also, the unit name of the lvl 1 and lvl 3 version of the unit 'Phalanx' are not shown in my wesnoth.
phalanx.png
Attachments
wesnoth-20190114-224111-5888.log
more error messages
(8.38 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
TRS-(10) Dwarvish Mines replay.gz
(153.69 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
TRS-(11) The Forbidden Memory replay.gz
(111.83 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Konrad2 wrote: January 12th, 2019, 8:46 pm It's a 'problem', because units killed by mutineers are supposed to turn into ghosts, right? And those don't. ^^
Check out my save file, where he doesn't have this ability. ;) xD
TRS-(CT 1) The Curse of the Map Turn 5.gz
But bleeding out is not strictly considered a kill, mechanics-wise. For example, the killing XP is also lost. The bleeding unit dies by its own condition getting worse. A condition caused by someone, aye, so this could be argued, but I'm sure the player doesn't mind having to deal with less ghosts ;)
Yeah, the dummy description of the ability was missing, sorry.
I completly forgot this, but in FoV5 near one of the two free keeps there are three hexes that 'should' be unwalkable, but they are walkable. Sorry. D:
EDIT 2:
CT2
Vodyon demands upkeep.
The 'should be unwalkable' goes for a lot of hexes near your starting point in CT2 too.
Not all leveled terrain behave like unwalkable obstacles. In CT2 there is a whole ridge on the northwest that is climbable. It's mostly for balance reasons. Special graphics to separate climbable and non-climbable leveled terrains would be awesome.
EDIT 3:
Monsters are allied with everyone but my team? Really? ._. This does not make sense...

EDIT 4:
Those monsters are also a pretty heavy disadvantage for my team. They act as natural guardians for all of my enemies.
That's the point - natural guardians of the desert.
The Desert Elf leader demands upkeep. It's probably the same for the Dunefolk leader.
Fixed them and Vodyon.
31,31 is a hill that pretends to be grassland. (Bad decorative stuff.)
Every Coffinhex behaves like grassland. (Bad decorative stuff.)
Fixed those, and a couple others as well.
EDIT 6:
Your Bone Captain needs 'plague', otherwise he makes no sense as advancement for the Cursed Sailor.
And also increased their price. (CS for 16 and BC for 28 gold were like "shut up and take my money")
EDIT 7:
Sadly you don't see Tharos blow up the walls. Would you mind addind some code that makes the game scroll to the place he's about to blow up?
Added that.
Why is there a magic circle on 44,9 and 40,2 (walls)?
Leftover from an idea when I wanted a possible backdoor to allow avoiding the green dwarves. Deleted it.
Now I'm not sure, a few days ago I think I saw you asking about the green dwarves being walled in, now I don't see that question, or was that more posts ago? Anyway, when they are sighted, there should be a conversation with your heroes guessing they must have been isolated by a cave-in and went mad in there.
Are you sure? They are not removed from the recall list, that's true, but did you actually try to recall one? Gallien would have had a few words with you if you had. ;)
The new Mounted Sergeant and Captain were missing from the exceptions however and were thus recallable, so thanks for reminding me :D

Reaper: That image is not featured anywhere in the campaign, so it's definitely an incompatibility with another add-on that you have. This stuff happens when not complex-enough names are given to files.
Konrad2 wrote: January 14th, 2019, 10:45 pm I will cheat myself some gold, because none of my carryover gold from Sc10 is there. Please fix that. :(

EDIT:
Looks like my carryover gold from Sc10 appeared in Sc11 (flashback scenario). That explains why it was so easy. xD Anyway, fix it please. >.<
I always maintained the idea of leaving carryover 'smooth' by letting it go from map to map, so gold from 10 should go to 11, and carryover from 11 to map 12. Regardless of the changing story (this has been criticized before), because the carryover report undeniably states 'you will start the next scenario', not the next-in-this-story-context scenario with this and that much gold. I feel that if it were the other way around, and I saved gold carryover every time an ancient flashback scenario is told, and handled it's gold separately, then that would be the problem. So I'm not sure, but your point by starting sc 11 with 600+ gold and sc12 with not enough is rather convincing so I'm inclined to change the approach. It's on top of the TODO list.
'heavy' doesn't seem to work?
No, heavy doesn't work yet. It's in development and I didn't remove it until functional.
Also, the unit name of the lvl 1 and lvl 3 version of the unit 'Phalanx' are not shown in my wesnoth.
phalanx.png
That's rather strange. They are fine here (even from any of your saves). If you open up debug mode's create unit and search for Northern Pikeman and Doublepikeman, are there no results? If yes, does the help show their advance-relation to Phalanx?
My guess is again an add-on conflict, however, chances of having another unit called Phalanx TRS by another add-on are rather slim.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

WhiteWolf wrote: January 15th, 2019, 9:45 pm Not all leveled terrain behave like unwalkable obstacles. In CT2 there is a whole ridge on the northwest that is climbable. It's mostly for balance reasons. Special graphics to separate climbable and non-climbable leveled terrains would be awesome.
Something like...leveled terrain? xD
That's the point - natural guardians of the desert.
In that case they would either be protecting it from everyone or only from me and not from my allies. I understand your balancing reasons, I merely dislike your story explanations.
Now I'm not sure, a few days ago I think I saw you asking about the green dwarves being walled in, now I don't see that question, or was that more posts ago? Anyway, when they are sighted, there should be a conversation with your heroes guessing they must have been isolated by a cave-in and went mad in there.
There was, but I deleted it once I blew up the wall and arrived at that dialog.
Are you sure? They are not removed from the recall list, that's true, but did you actually try to recall one? Gallien would have had a few words with you if you had. ;)
The new Mounted Sergeant and Captain were missing from the exceptions however and were thus recallable, so thanks for reminding me :D
I didn't, I had already too many (loyal) units on the map. I don't need so many in the tunnels. :)
I always maintained the idea of leaving carryover 'smooth' by letting it go from map to map, so gold from 10 should go to 11, and carryover from 11 to map 12. Regardless of the changing story (this has been criticized before), because the carryover report undeniably states 'you will start the next scenario', not the next-in-this-story-context scenario with this and that much gold. I feel that if it were the other way around, and I saved gold carryover every time an ancient flashback scenario is told, and handled it's gold separately, then that would be the problem. So I'm not sure, but your point by starting sc 11 with 600+ gold and sc12 with not enough is rather convincing so I'm inclined to change the approach. It's on top of the TODO list.
The carryover report does not account for flash backs. Your campaigns is pretty unusual in this way, so I see no reason to let the carryover report count.
Carryover is meant to be used in the next scenario that 'happens' timewise, unless there is some big disconnect between them.
I mean, how am I sending gold into the past? That's not different from saying that I should carryover gold from the Inn scenario to my next story scenario.
That's rather strange. They are fine here (even from any of your saves). If you open up debug mode's create unit and search for Northern Pikeman and Doublepikeman, are there no results? If yes, does the help show their advance-relation to Phalanx?
My guess is again an add-on conflict, however, chances of having another unit called Phalanx TRS by another add-on are rather slim.
That's a C++ bug, it will be fixed in 1.14.6. At least that seems to be the plan.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Konrad2 wrote: January 15th, 2019, 10:04 pm The carryover report does not account for flash backs. Your campaigns is pretty unusual in this way, so I see no reason to let the carryover report count.
Carryover is meant to be used in the next scenario that 'happens' timewise, unless there is some big disconnect between them.
I mean, how am I sending gold into the past? That's not different from saying that I should carryover gold from the Inn scenario to my next story scenario.
As said, you have a point :) I'm just reasoning for the system that existed. Until now. :)
That's a C++ bug, it will be fixed in 1.14.6. At least that seems to be the plan.
Ah, glad (... I guess?) to hear that.

I've uploaded 1.1.8 :) Changelog is quite long this time, a few highlights:
- There is a new AMLA system to all (of your, so side 1) units. It's immediate and available for saved games as well. :) A unit reaching AMLA can now enter advanced training to gain unique abilities, buffs, etc. I'm open to suggestions concerning new additions and effects.
- There are some new orcish strengths and weaknesses, and some have been completely removed. See full changelog.
- Terrifying and Enraging enemies is now a lot more dynamic. (Before, orcs had only rages and were fearless, or had fears and didn't have anything to go into rage for). Now most orcs have reasons for both rage and fear, and the two can be mixed.
- Heavy weapon special completed and functional.
Changelog 1.1.8:
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

Playing through this on the latest version, on Wesnoth 1.14.5, on the default difficulty setting. I finished Siege of Greenwood Castle, and that's all I've had time for. Here's my first impressions.

I like that the player is given a choice of what unit type their hero should be. It gives the player the chance to set-up in line with their own playstyle and priorities, which is always a good thing. I must admit, though, to being confused - I was asked to name my character, but ended up playing as Dayton Blackwood? I'm not entirely sure what's going on there.

The level of detail on the maps throughout is very good. The music-players in the tavern, complete with animated musical notes around them, caught my eye; going into Siege of Greenwood Castle, the raging fires around the map and paving stone along the sides of the road reinforced my initial positive impression. The blood doesn't look entirely convincing, sometimes, however.

I'm not sure what to think about the voice acting when you give units orders. It reminds me a lot of RTS games. Part of me likes it, part of me wants to turn it off. The music is another area where I'm torn. I like some of the tracks you've included, but some I'm not too keen on. Of course, this is all subjective.

Greenwood Castle as a scenario is quite enjoyable. The new units, on both sides, add a bit of much-needed fresh air to the otherwise stale Elves vs Orcs setup. I like the Dark Elf units, as they present a new dimension, and each has a distinct weakness that you can target. The amount of units thrown at you is large, and feels unstoppable at times, but with the terrain advantage and a bit of skill, is easily managed. The 15th turn, with hordes pouring at my worn-down defenders, truly felt like the climax to a massive battle - an impression that the piling-up corpses and sections of destroyed wall helped to build.

The cinematic that followed was very enjoyable, although I have a few quibbles about the dialogue - its a little too cliche at times. Also, *points at the dead bodies* could be removed, imo - it breaks the flow of dialogue, when its already quite clear who he is referring to.

Overall, I really like this campaign based on what little I've seen so far. The atmosphere in particular is one of its strengths, but the gameplay too is enjoyable, with new units and abilities adding new experiences for a veteran player of Wesnoth.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Tom_Of_Wesnoth wrote: January 17th, 2019, 9:29 pm
I like that the player is given a choice of what unit type their hero should be. It gives the player the chance to set-up in line with their own playstyle and priorities, which is always a good thing. I must admit, though, to being confused - I was asked to name my character, but ended up playing as Dayton Blackwood? I'm not entirely sure what's going on there.
The game is asking for your nickname, because at a couple of points you are addressed, and this is just to help avoid simply calling you Player :) The number of these vary from playthrough to playthrough, depending on what parts of the game you reach.
The level of detail on the maps throughout is very good. The music-players in the tavern, complete with animated musical notes around them, caught my eye; going into Siege of Greenwood Castle, the raging fires around the map and paving stone along the sides of the road reinforced my initial positive impression. The blood doesn't look entirely convincing, sometimes, however.
I'm glad you like the graphics. The blood animation is achieved with different methods for custom units and for core Wesnoth units. It's not a drastic difference, it can mostly be caught in the timing of the blood-spray, and also with core Wesnoth units the last hit of the fight won't trigger blood. Maybe that is what makes it feel different and thus unconvincing sometimes. :) I agree the animation itself could be improved, but sadly it's about as good as I can make it.
The music is another area where I'm torn. I like some of the tracks you've included, but some I'm not too keen on. Of course, this is all subjective.
I have been thinking of adding a preference for that one too, to be able to select which additional music are allowed to be played, and which are not. Looks there's a call for it then. :D
Overall, I really like this campaign based on what little I've seen so far. The atmosphere in particular is one of its strengths, but the gameplay too is enjoyable, with new units and abilities adding new experiences for a veteran player of Wesnoth.
Hope it unfolds well for you. Feedback is much appreciated :)
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

WhiteWolf wrote: January 17th, 2019, 10:37 pm I'm glad you like the graphics. The blood animation is achieved with different methods for custom units and for core Wesnoth units. It's not a drastic difference, it can mostly be caught in the timing of the blood-spray, and also with core Wesnoth units the last hit of the fight won't trigger blood. Maybe that is what makes it feel different and thus unconvincing sometimes. :) I agree the animation itself could be improved, but sadly it's about as good as I can make it.
I think the animation's actually quite good, especially given how hard it can be to make graphics for UMC. Even mainline lacks a lot of animation, for example for some units in the Horseman line.

I was talking about the actual blood that's left over on the floor. It looks a bit too bright, I think? I'm no expert so can't really put my finger on it.

Anyway, it's not a big thing, just a little thing I noticed.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

'Disrespected' is ignored if you have a unit with leadership next to the affected unit.

EDIT:
I have to point out that the starting gold in Sc12 is enough to beat the enemies. I just felt a bit cheated of my carryover gold. :(

EDIT 2:
You have a base income in the inn scenario -> playing Whess allows you to end turns and earn gold. You can earn even more gold by occupying villages, because they give you income as well.
Attachments
TRS-(12) Face of the Enemy replay.gz
(188.24 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

I played a bit more, here's my thoughts.

The Vow is a lot simpler than the previous scenario, and also significantly easier. I found that not only was I able to out-recruit the enemy leader, I also had three Level 2s, and the War Cart, to start off with. This made it pretty easy to push through the enemy, and then it was just a matter of working out who to give the experience to. Although it was nice to have a simpler scenario with a less frantic pace to try out the new set of units, I found it was perhaps too easy. I think the scenario would benefit from the enemy having a bit more gold to spend, or perhaps a higher income.

In the story phase after, you misspell daughter as 'doughter' a few times.

Silent Towers was a step back in the right direction, I thought. The addition of Spearmen to the player's ranks gave extra tactical choice to a small recruit list, after the player has had a chance to get familiar with a few other units. The Orc captain's weakness reminded me of Shadow of Mordor/War, and I feel like there's a lot of potential. The difficulty was a bit higher than the previous scenario, providing a bit more of a challenge - although I still think Siege of Greenwood Castle was harder.

One small bug I noticed during this scenario is that if you take a village, you cannot undo your move - I'm guessing this is because of the script to play the sound effect.

Lurm's Camp was an enjoyable scenario, although once again a bit too easy. I'm probably going to move up to the next difficulty level - but the difficulty of Siege of Greenwood Castle was higher, so I'm not sure if that needs to be scaled down, or the others scaled up? I like where the plot is going, with a plant inside the Orcish ranks (though I will note that the Orcish Cur has no bow attack, but the sprite has a quiver of arrows), and I liked that Elvyndiel still calls Blackwood her father - he's still the man that raised her, after all.

I'm liking the advancements for the Ravager units, by the way. They each offer something different, and I feel like I'm making a choice each time.

EDIT: Also, maybe only the less dramatic tracks should play in the tavern scenes? Not sure.

EDIT 2: I seem to be starting The Duel with 3600 gold?