The Ravagers - SP campaign for Wesnoth 1.16 [Feedback and development]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ydcl

Re: The Ravagers - SP campaign - [Feedback and development]

Post by ydcl »

I use debug mode for testing, but if I miss an important event, then I'm going to play on normal mode to continue.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

You say you received an unknown 'ravager longbowman' unit type error. I've scanned the code of that scenario, and ravager longbowmen are not mentioned once. I can't reproduce the bug. Again, without a replay, or without elaboration on exactly how to reproduce that bug (what to recruit, where to go, what enemy to kill, which turn it was, generally what you did before it occured (which is the reason why replays are cool ;) )), I don't know what else to do.
That is a map with Cormac vs. elves. Ravagers do not spawn, they are not supposed to be recalled or recruited. Without further data, my only guess is that you jumped something in debug mode.
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

When I type :n in debug mode this scenario don't load. Maybe is because I need to do something in the previous one.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Do not use :n on Trails of a Mage scenario.

This is what's causing is problem. You mustn't jump over the map, because events from the end are missing that twist the side values. This is what's throwing you the unknown ravager type error (I managed to reproduce it this way). This is what I wrote 2 posts ago, that using debugging will get you mysterious errors.

If you insist on jumping through the map without playing, just spawn a unit nearby, and move it to that bloody hut tile.....

EDITED:
OK, the game crashes with this error message, because there is indeed a typo in the code, I fixed that for the sake of being bug-free, but still, the previous recommendation applies - jumping that map with :n will result in a crippled gamestate always. (units won't be unstored).

EDITED:
Info on 1.0.17: I'm trying to finish my hungarian translation, and then update to 1.0.17. It will contain the fix to this issue, higher aggression to trolls on map20, and a rebalance to map6. :)
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

I've finally uploaded 1.0.17 with the following changes:
1.0.17 Change log:
Two complete translations have been added: German, thanks to Chewan, and my Hungarian translation.
I have updated the front page accordingly.
Development won't stop, future versions will bring lots of polishing and fine-tuning. :)

Best,
WhiteWolf
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hello WhiteWolf,

I finally got around playing this campaign :). I'm really enjoying it until now, the story is great and the scenarios are many and diverse.
Here are a few things that I noticed though that you might want to improve or not:

- After the second battle scenario there's one story part that is not translated. The part that starts with: "I used all those years to discover the identities...". I don't know if this is a problem with the string or with the translation (I'm playing in german). Anyway, maybe the translator is also reading this. The rest of the translation is flawless and really good as we know it from chewan's translations. :)

-the same thing goes for:
-the Unit descriptions of the high lady and the lady captain, while the generalissima has a translation.
-The first thing Dayton blackwood says in Prestim "This is it. the slaver field of prestim...", the following sentence of wurmasch (the goblin) and the mechani story dialogue that comes afterwards.

- Is there a reason that all of the orc guardians are loyal in scenario 5 (the duel)? I suggest Using the {GENERIC_UNIT} macro instead of {LOYAL_UNIT}. If that is intended, forget what I just said.

- The gold is carried over between battle and story scenarios. I don't know if this is intended? Especially since you can spend gold fro time to time in story scenarios.

That's it so far, I will post more later.

Greetings,
Paulomat4
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

Paulomat4 wrote:The rest of the translation is …
:D Pleased to read that – thanks!
Paulomat4 wrote:story part not translated + first thing Dayton Blackwood says in Prestim + Maggoth's reply + explanation 'freeing slaves'
Eh? The translated strings are in the v1.0.17 mo-file (can be opened with text editor like Notepad) and do show in my game…
Spoiler:
Paulomat4 wrote:same goes for Unit descriptions of high lady + lady captain – generalissima has a translation
Right. Lady General.cfg has the correct textdomain – High Lady, Lady Captain and other unit descriptions will be fixed once the author gets around to it. :)
Paulomat4 wrote:the story is great and the scenarios are many and diverse
Aren't they! A few units – like thunder-gunning spearmen or saurian slurbow archers – are a little bizarre I daresay, but the main characters are very likable and the humorous events at the inn brighten that story of pure revenge. Fortunately, the heroes liberate the North from a (quite smart) tyrant at one go – killing a thousand for the benefit of having taken vengeance for the death of four elves is more justifiable… :mrgreen:
The visual effects are great (the blood splatters and traces, for example, are not overly macabre, IMO), and I appreciated WhiteWolf's emphasis on the music! He even wrote Narduum's Theme himself…
TRs is really recommendable – one more example of what can be done with BfW.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hello :)
Paulomat4 wrote:there's one story part that is not translated. The part that starts with: "I used all those years to discover the identities...".
I switched to german, and it seems fully translated here as well. I don't see how such a case could arise, 1.0.17 is the first and only version with translations. :hmm:
The first thing Dayton blackwood says in Prestim
This one is missing here as well. It's my mistake, I fixed a typo in the text which I forgot to update with the translations, I guess it's missing in the Hungarian as well.
unit descriptions
These are on the long queue awaiting fixing. I am among those who barely read unit descriptions, therefore in most cases, even the original text is full of mistakes, is too short, is only a "TODO", or in some cases, only a "." :D I will fix unit descriptions when I find the time, and all else is satisfactory, but it's a slow progress. :(
- Is there a reason that all of the orc guardians are loyal in scenario 5 (the duel)?
Yep, not to weigh down the income of the enemy, and it reflects it better, that those units are in guardian mode. :)
(By the way, they are spawned with SCATTER_UNITS randomly, their loyal feature is intentional :) )
- The gold is carried over between battle and story scenarios.
This is a leftover from the pre-alpha versions where mechanics were a bit different, and I didn't fix it yet, I guess gold should be carried over from battle-to-battle, leaving the inn with Dayton's private purse indeed. I hope I'll fix this with 1.0.18 :)

Chewan wrote:TRs is really recommendable – one more example of what can be done with BfW.
Thanks for the kind words :) I'm glad you liked Narduum's theme :D

I'm about at the half of the fixlist. I plan to do some more fixes and stuff before releasing 1.0.18.
There are some new texts, many texts rewritten as suggested, so I plan it this way: when it's finished, I'll upload 1.0.18, then when the translations are adjusted, it'll be updated to 1.0.18a, the only change with the updated translations :)

You must excuse my absence, I hope I'll have more time to focus on Wesnoth soon. :) But I can't say for sure how fast I can work.

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Eh? The translated strings are in the v1.0.17 mo-file (can be opened with text editor like Notepad) and do show in my game…
I switched to german, and it seems fully translated here as well. I don't see how such a case could arise, 1.0.17 is the first and only version with translations. :hmm:
Well, I didn't look into the issues so I don't know as well. Maybe again you did a few text rewrites?
I can provide screenshots if you want.
I'm playing on 1.12.6 with the newest version of the ravagers from last week, if that helps :hmm:
I'm about at the half of the fixlist.
I hope I can finish the campaign before you finish your fixlist :lol: I'll just continue noting what I notice.

So, going on:
the following string are again missing a translation:
-"Cormac and his father in law, the king..." in scenario 6

Other things that I noticed:
-In scenario 6 when the heroes enter the house, It is written that dorthar didn't dare to put away his sword. But he has a warhammer as weapon. (atleast at lvl 3)
-In the sixth secenario during the battle, all of the starting unit you get are loyal but do not have the loyal overlay except one of them who is actually not loyal but strong resilient. (Playing as Déachir)
-Why does the lvl 3 flanker have only so few hp? 48 at lvl 2, 50 at lvl 3? I think he should at least have 55-60 hp. A 2hp increase seems a bit useless to me.

Greetings,
Paulomat4
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

Paulomat4 wrote:scenario 6: Dothar didn't dare to put away his sword. But he has a warhammer…
Yeah, he was already told to enter the hut first, sword drawn. I pay attention to such details too, but this situation didn't strike me as odd. I would imagine it was the short sword of his going-out gear (not listed as battle weapon in his stats). Would you shoulder a massive warhammer for a rendezvous with a lady? Dothar is 'the muscle' – still, keeping his hammer up throughout the entire conversation would be strange, and tiring… :mrgreen:
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Paulomat4 wrote: Well, I didn't look into the issues so I don't know as well. Maybe again you did a few text rewrites?
Maybe. When the fixlist is done, an update to the .po-s will be neccessary anyway, that should solve it :)

I hope I can finish the campaign before you finish your fixlist :lol:
There's hardly any realy danger of me finishing that list in a hurry :D I have lots to do these months, I doubt I could finish before December.
-In scenario 6 when the heroes enter the house, It is written that dorthar didn't dare to put away his sword. But he has a warhammer as weapon.
As Chewan said, holding a warhammer at the ready during a conversation, now that would be odd :D Not listed as a usable weapon, yes, but let's suppose he has a short sword as a "sidearm", most medieval officers did.
all of the starting unit you get are loyal but do not have the loyal overlay except one of them who is actually not loyal
Now that was a bug, fixed it. :)
Why does the lvl 3 flanker have only so few hp?
But he also gains the skirmisher ability, reduced movement costs on frozen, and increased resistance to pierce. Though I agree, these may not be as useful as larger HP increase would be, so I've increased the HP to 54, added increased blade resistance as well, and reduced mountain & swamp movement costs.

There's a couple of stuff around map 7 and 9 that are already fixed, but are still present in 1.0.17:
Spoiler:
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hello there,

I've reached the end of the fixlist :)
This means, 1.0.18 is uploaded to the servers:
1.0.18 Changelog:
The list is very long this time with many bugfixes, new implementations, reworks, some added and some removed content.
Due to this, if you are playing the game in German language, do not download the update yet :!:
The German translation has expired because of the many new dialogues and revised texts. 1.0.18a will hopefully be uploaded soon with the refreshed translation :)

As a larger update, new bugs could have been introduced, though it is not probable.
Still, if you find any bugs, please report them.

The [known_issues] tag on the frontpage of this forum has also been updated.

Soon I plan to start to work on 1.2.0 with changes that will no longer be compatible with saved games from 1.0.x series.
Best regards,
WhiteWolf
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

German translation updated with 1.0.19 :)
Go ahead and download and play :D
Changelog 1.0.19:

EDITED 2018.01.09
It's been rather quiet for a while, I take that as there no more new issues around :) I started to work on 1.2.0 for a while now, with a promising expansion of the drinking system, the introduction of playable inn scenarios, and a reorganisation of the effect-features setup.
I hope I can upload an 1.1.1beta soon, but keep in mind, 1.0 series saved games will no longer be compatible with the new versions.
Reasons:
In case of gamestate-crippling or crash-bugs (unlikely I hope), I don't plan on releasing more versions to the 1.0 series.
Please, keep reporting bugs, but they will only be fixed for 1.2, along the 1.1beta series. :)

EDIT (2018.05.26):
Officially, the last version for 1.12 is the 1.0.19a, support of 1.12 is over.
The porting of the campaign to Wesnoth 1.14 is going nicely. Many 1.2 features are still being written however, it's not likely that the campaign appears on the 1.14 add-ons server before late summer.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Re: The Ravagers - SP campaign now for 1.14 - [Feedback and development]

Post by WhiteWolf »

MILESTONE - version 1.1.0
Phew, I didn't think I'd finish this year... :lol: But it's there - version 1.1.0 can now be downloaded from the 1.14 add-ons server :)

The campaign has been completely revised and upgraded to a whole new level. To name a few of the overwhelming changes:
  • Inn Activities: The Inn is now not only the narrating place of the story, but an interactive semi-open world place where you can engage in side-quests, side-stories* and bar games of all kinds. The limit is only the time you wish to spend in Weldyn's best inn!
  • Extended the so loved drinking mechanism. Now Dayton is allowed to drink any time to enhance your in-game units ;) this also means more epic enemies and more dynamic battles with limitations only by your creativity.
  • Enhanced hero graphics: You are now allowed to select the outfits of your leaders (their portraits). The differences are yet purely aesthetic, but this may change in the future, and many more heroes are on the to-do list to receive customisable portraits.
  • Always hated how level 3+ units can't just damage an enemy, but always take the kill and the precious XP instead of your low units desperately in need? This changes with a trick learned from the innkeep Red Jon, and you will learn how to order your high level units to stop their blades, and help your low level comrades advance!
  • 2 completely new maps in the main story, with one of them of the viewpoint of your enemies - the dark elves!
*: This version of the game is not yet complete, and some side-quests are not yet finished. In development.

Full lust of changes since 1.0.19a:
Changelog 1.1.0:
Stay tuned for updates and progress with some missing content :)
With the massive changes, new bugs could have been introduced that could have avoided my attention.
Any feedback of all kinds, be it bug reports, criticism, or just comments, is very welcome!

Best regards and Happy New Year!
WhiteWolf
BTIsaac

Re: The Ravagers - SP campaign now for 1.14 - [Feedback and development]

Post by BTIsaac »

Awesome. I was wondering if this will get ported. I'll play it in the newr future.
By the way, the changes sound great, even if i didn't play the old version, but I don't think "lust" is the appropriate term here.