The Ravagers - SP campaign for Wesnoth 1.16 [Feedback and development]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

StellarStar

Re: The Ravagers - SP campaign now for 1.14 - [Feedback and development]

Post by StellarStar »

Taking Red Johns sword provides no benefits, why is that? Also it seems to me if you manage to use the warlock deaths blood on a legendary enemy, the next time the legend spawns and you kill it it also kills the legendary enemy that you gained. Also I've never lost the minigame with the dwarves. And why dont we get acces to the elvish woodsmen when we gain the elves? And the elvish master archer doesnt count as an archer in SC19
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Konrad2 wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 12:14 am That autosave in my last post was also kind of a bug report. :D Should have pointed that out somewhere.
Oh, right. I'm not exactly 100% sure what causes that. I fixed a minor something and now it works fine here, but I'm troubled a little bit - it still shouldn't have been the cause of the issue. Sorry if I'm vague. Let's hope it fixed it.
Regarding the animations, how about asking in the modding channel on discord? The developers probably know this kind of stuff best.
Will do that sometime.
StellarStar wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 4:35 pm Taking Red Johns sword provides no benefits, why is that?
gameplay spoilers:
Also it seems to me if you manage to use the warlock deaths blood on a legendary enemy, the next time the legend spawns and you kill it it also kills the legendary enemy that you gained.
Right, that's a loophole I never thought of. It won't be possible to convert legendary enemies anymore
Also I've never lost the minigame with the dwarves.
It's not really that difficult to win with either of them :) But their petrify ability is still in development, and that will have an impact on their balance as well.
And why dont we get acces to the elvish woodsmen when we gain the elves?
Because they are special units reserved for other viewpoints of the game.
And the elvish master archer doesnt count as an archer in SC19
Yeah, it was the same as with Bow Commander, all fixed now.

So 1.1.13 is uploaded with the bugfixes, and bringing the change to Tharos' free round special ability. This only applies to saved games if you have not yet unlocked the ability for Tharos. If you already did, the arch-magical won't convert to the new 'ball of fire', but I created a code that will patch it:
how to fix Tharos for saved games:
Changelog 1.1.13:
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

WhiteWolf wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 10:07 pm Oh, right. I'm not exactly 100% sure what causes that. I fixed a minor something and now it works fine here, but I'm troubled a little bit - it still shouldn't have been the cause of the issue. Sorry if I'm vague. Let's hope it fixed it.
I don't know, but I can point out that this bug was (apparently) not about the pick axe, but about the pick axe and the clothing(?), possibly also about the rusted sword. I could pick up the first one I found but those afterwards were not picked up.

EDIT:
Sc21
Gallien and his soldier behave very weird.

EDIT 2:
Rashdan says the words of his killer if he is executed.
You gain no xp for killing the blue leader in Sc21.

EDIT 3:
Sc22
offerred -> offered
Dwarvish Gunslinger and Dwarvish Axemaster can't earn xp.
Attachments
TRS-(21) Death's Blood replay.gz
(277.61 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Konrad2 wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 10:24 pm I don't know, but I can point out that this bug was (apparently) not about the pick axe, but about the pick axe and the clothing(?), possibly also about the rusted sword. I could pick up the first one I found but those afterwards were not picked up.
Right, got it now :) Indeed wasn't fixed properly in 1.1.13, will be in 14.
EDIT:
Sc21
Gallien and his soldier behave very weird.
Looks like they did that on hard and nightmare, my mistake, will be fixed.
Rashdan says the words of his killer if he is executed.
You gain no xp for killing the blue leader in Sc21.
Fixed Rashdan's text, but if executing an orcish enemy leader doesn't give XP, then THAT kill is hardly eligible for experience... :D
Dwarvish Gunslinger and Dwarvish Axemaster can't earn xp.
Same as with Thraser, fixing that.
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

WhiteWolf wrote: January 25th, 2019, 2:59 pm ... but if executing an orcish enemy leader doesn't give XP, then THAT kill is hardly eligible for experience... :D
Touché.

EDIT:
Whess
Walking corpses you get by using 'plague' are not loyal.

EDIT 2:
Sc22
<Invalid WML found> Unit-type "Dwarvish Dragonguard TRS" doesn't exist.
The Wings on the 'Winged Creature' seem to be just for show (no flyer movement costs). Is that intended?
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Konrad2 wrote: January 25th, 2019, 4:27 pm Walking corpses you get by using 'plague' are not loyal.
You mean the swimmers, fixed them.
<Invalid WML found> Unit-type "Dwarvish Dragonguard TRS" doesn't exist.
Unneccessary TRS :D
The Wings on the 'Winged Creature' seem to be just for show (no flyer movement costs). Is that intended?
Not really intended, not exactly a problem either, but it should be flying, and is also an undead unit - now it's changed to undeadfly.

Uploaded 1.1.14 with the fixes and the addition of a new epic enemy: the Soulbeast.
Changelog 1.1.14:
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

No, I didn't mean the swimmers. :D I mean: I have a (loyal) walking corpse. I let him kill an enemy living unit. Now I have two walking corpses. One of them is loyal (the killer) and one is not (the victim).

Sc23
There are some grave overlays turning forest into grassland.
Attachments
TRS-(23) Nemesis replay.gz
(315.39 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Konrad2 wrote: January 26th, 2019, 10:54 pm No, I didn't mean the swimmers. :D I mean: I have a (loyal) walking corpse. I let him kill an enemy living unit. Now I have two walking corpses. One of them is loyal (the killer) and one is not (the victim).
Oh, right. On it :)
Sc23
There are some grave overlays turning forest into grassland.
Where exactly? All graveyards are forests for me here, even in the replay.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

EDIT:
There are some on Sc24 too. Probably all of them.

EDIT 2:
Quite literally a brute force approach.
Attachments
TRS-(24) Fury and Bloodlust replay.gz
(308.79 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

I don't understand. All those are fine forests for me. This is your replay:
it's forest all right
it's forest all right
Are you sure you have the latest version/ are not missing the Forest next to Grassland? (I'm out of other guesses :( ) Sure the base is not forest, but an overlay. Grassland base, forest overlay. (Elves do have 70% defense)

Watched the replay. You took some heavy losses there, but damn Dothar is a war-machine by himself :D
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Well, 'normally' it takes worse movement and best defense. This hex though, behaves like Grassland for movement. Which is why I'm not accepting it as forest. I'd better check this again though, as I might have made a mistake just as well.

EDIT:
Jup, it takes best movement and best defense. And that's very weird behavior. ._.

EDIT 2:
Sc25
That new unit with the loyal marker is not loyal and demands upkeep. xD
Why can I recall undead? The brothers clearly didn't follow me.

And so the Tale of the Ravagers ends.
That's it, I'm out of here. xD
Attachments
TRS-(25) Endless Manhunt replay.gz
(311.32 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Konrad2 wrote: January 27th, 2019, 9:37 pm Well, 'normally' it takes worse movement and best defense. This hex though, behaves like Grassland for movement. Which is why I'm not accepting it as forest. I'd better check this again though, as I might have made a mistake just as well.
Oh, the movement. Right, sorry.
That new unit with the loyal marker is not loyal and demands upkeep. xD
Quite forgot about him when fixing the heroes :)
Why can I recall undead? The brothers clearly didn't follow me.
I was wondering why you can recall them at all, I mean through normal procedure. They are not exactly units recruited by you, so they shouldn't be a part of the recall list, however, another menu item would add unnecessary complexity. But I am thinking of denying undead troops if both brothers are gone - or if that is too harsh, then raising their recall costs.
And so the Tale of the Ravagers ends.
That's it, I'm out of here. xD
Hope you liked it despite the tons if issues :D
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I was wondering why you can recall them at all, I mean through normal procedure. They are not exactly units recruited by you, so they shouldn't be a part of the recall list, however, another menu item would add unnecessary complexity. But I am thinking of denying undead troops if both brothers are gone - or if that is too harsh, then raising their recall costs.
Suggestions:
Change it so the brothers or kinda co-leaders, so they can move to the keep and recall undead (while Dayton can't).
Or, at least remove the Undead from the recall list once both brothers are dead (and add a cool 'all undead die once the brothers die' event :D).
(Tbh I'm the kind of person that wants the game to reflect the 'story reality' as much as possible.)
Hope you liked it despite the tons if issues :D
I like that you solved them. ^^
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Sorry for the delay.
It took some figuring out, both balance-wise and how-to-exactly-do-it-wise :) but here is what I have arrived at, and it looks promising: yes, the brothers will act as co-leaders. They can recruit and recall from keeps, but they don't share the recruit list, nor the recall list with Dayton. Each leader has its own recruit list, and each can only recall who had been recruited by that leader. (the brothers can recall the unit of the other brother though).
This solves that if you lose both brothers, you lose all undead units. It solves the recall problem of undead by Dayton, but doesn't introduce new menu items or grants OP tactics like recall strong units at crucial points directly on the battlefield. However it also takes away the previously existent recruit menu item and the option to recruit directly onto the map - this kind of a nerf in this regard, the compensation is that the undead units now do not cost any extra gold.
And it also indirectly solves the lame animations of the brothers.
The drinking option to extend the recruitlist of the brothers works as expected.

Also a pre-notice: 1.1.14 or earlier saves past (20) The Black Sword scenario won't exactly be compatible with 1.1.15. The amount of incompatibility depends on the scenario you are exactly at, looking at it the worst case is that you can lose your entire recruit list.
  • If you have not reached yet, or just started map 20: Go ahead and update, there won't be any problems. If you just started map 20, reload the scenario start save.
  • If you are past or on map20 (and don't want to restart it): Unless you want to go back to the start of map 20, do not update to 1.1.15 before finishing the game.
This is just a pre-notice, 1.1.15 is still in development for a while.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Double post because of the update - 1.1.15 is uploaded :)

It brings many fixes, the redesign of the recruit system of Wulfius and Wolfras and 2 new cards for Whess with weather effects: rain and snow.
There is also a new icon for the campaign on the add-ons list.

Please note that as said in the above post, 1.1.14 or earlier saved games past map 20 are not compatible with 1.1.15 and upgrading may lead to a disappeared recruit list!
Changelog 1.1.15:
It looks like these were the last of the issues, so I will focus again on finishing the sidequests. If all goes well, I plan to finish Ladry's story by the next version soon. :)