The Ravagers - SP campaign for Wesnoth 1.16 [Feedback and development]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Re: The Ravagers - SP campaign now for 1.14 - [Feedback and development]

Post by WhiteWolf »

Konrad2 wrote: July 14th, 2019, 9:34 am Btw, why do you include the scenario number in the scenario name?
For convenience. Easier to list, the player can see where he is in the playthrough, and most importantly - it's easier for me to search saves by scenario number instead of the name :mrgreen:
EarthCake wrote: July 14th, 2019, 10:33 am legenadry -> legendary
gather round -> gather around (or 'round)
meself -> myself
Thanks, though next time please save me the command line grepping, and include a scenario name or number :D "Meself" is often used in old text by people of poor class.
EarthCake wrote: EDIT: For some reason, when an enemy unit dies from effect of savage weapon (-4 HP), I don't recieve in statistics that that unit has been killed.
Yeah, I'm afraid I can't really do anything about it. For the dying to unit to be included into the statistics, as far as I know, I should allow the mechanics to give XP, which is something I want to avoid.
Also, "given bleeding" doesn't really belong to any side. Let's say an enemy unit gets bleeding from you, then also from one of your allies. The unit then bleeds out. To whom did the bleeding belong to, that killed the unit? The first, the second, both? So on second thought, I think that not showing a bled out unit in the statistics is not that much of a problem.
Konrad2 wrote: July 14th, 2019, 11:02 am The Ravagers has now some replay topics.
Oh, cool :)
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

WhiteWolf wrote: July 14th, 2019, 12:06 pm For convenience. Easier to list, the player can see where he is in the playthrough, and most importantly - it's easier for me to search saves by scenario number instead of the name :mrgreen:
Yeah, don't be like in other campaign named The Blind Sentinel, example: (23) Return to Wesnoth's scenario as well as name scenario from HttT campaign and all other numbered scenarios named campaign Rally for Roanic (1.12 version).
WhiteWolf wrote: July 14th, 2019, 12:06 pm Yeah, I'm afraid I can't really do anything about it. For the dying to unit to be included into the statistics, as far as I know, I should allow the mechanics to give XP, which is something I want to avoid.
Also, "given bleeding" doesn't really belong to any side. Let's say an enemy unit gets bleeding from you, then also from one of your allies. The unit then bleeds out. To whom did the bleeding belong to, that killed the unit? The first, the second, both? So on second thought, I think that not showing a bled out unit in the statistics is not that much of a problem.
The Bleeding effect is not annoying than poison, are you would like to modify that new effect in next version?

Best Regards,
DukeSwampy.
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

DukeSwampy wrote: July 14th, 2019, 2:49 pm The Bleeding effect is not annoying than poison, are you would like to modify that new effect in next version?
Sorry, I don't understand this, what are you trying to say?
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

WhiteWolf wrote: July 15th, 2019, 9:34 pm Sorry, I don't understand this, what are you trying to say?
Oh, yes. I am sorry about my english words :lol:

In my opinion, I mean savage weapon effect are slightly painful every turn than poison. But can be cured by the healers or in village before the sufferer dies?

Also about the appearance of blood from the submenu must have scared me :augh: , better I have to turned off that appearance.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

DukeSwampy wrote: July 16th, 2019, 8:10 am In my opinion, I mean savage weapon effect are slightly painful every turn than poison. But can be cured by the healers or in village before the sufferer dies?
So, poison deals 8 damage on side turn start, but doesn't kill. Bleeding (caused by for example savage weapons) deals 4 damage on side turn start, and can kill the unit. This is the only difference - bleeding is slower, but must be watched out for with low HP units.
Both statuses can be cured by healers or in a village. No difference here. So if you have a bleeding a unit, move it to a village or next to a healer, and it won't die :)
Also about the appearance of blood from the submenu must have scared me :augh: , better I have to turned off that appearance.
The bleeding effect and blood trails are something completely different, these are just aesthatic effects. When the bleeding effect is on, units that are hit in combat will be animated with a spring of blood.
If you turn these off, it only means that the effect won't be animated, it has nothing to do with the bleeding status.
In the 1.14 versions, that submenu has been redesigned with better explanations and visibility.
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

Thanks for your reply in this topic. Hopefully this campaign has become epic battles than other author campaigns.
WhiteWolf wrote: July 13th, 2019, 2:22 pm When you decide to give 1.14 a go, I strongly recommend first removing 1.14.3 and installing 1.14.6 instead, because there is a known bug for Wesnoth versions 1.14.5 or earlier, see the front page "Known Issues" bar for details :)
I already removed older version, but not now installing. Because I am focused to play on 1.12. So I will install it sometime. ;)

Best Regards,
DukeSwampy. :)
Regards, Swampy.

white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

help for guardian: greates > greatest
pshysical > physical

fear of elves: whe fighting > when fighting

hate of wounds: one addition strikes > one additional strike

vow: cought > caught

lurm: terrify Gair > terrify Lurm

clash: pallaside > palisade

trials: compete each other > compete with each other
historan > historian

another victim: its ugly > it's ugly

wail: slight mistaken > slightly mistaken

true north: wartug has hate of wounds, which in the intro says heals half, but in the unit description says heals all. I don't have any unit that can land a single blow powerful enough to kill him from 41% HP. He's afraid of cold, so I guess I'll have to hit him with the unit I don't have which does cold damage.

warchief: unkown > unknown
Anyone objections > Any objections OR Anyone object

black sword: a feet away > a foot away

death's blood: cought > caught
braking > breaking

interception: strech > stretch
behin > behind

nemesis: human-being > human being

endless: avange > avenge
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

(1)
caughes -> coughs
back-stabbing -> backstabbing
I saw as Prince Totalomir... -> I saw Prince Totalomir...

(3)
doughter -> daughter
beastily -> beastly
it'dve? What is it supposed to mean?
arkan -> arcane

Formation ability can't be seen by any method? (I mean that +5 defense)
Is it supposed that War Cart is carried to scenario 3?

When I kill Gair, event ocurres, and Gair is again alive. However, that is an infinite amount of experience (until turn 18). I would suggest that killing him makes player lose scenario.

EDIT:
(4)

deemed -> seemed
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Thanks for hunting the typos :)
white_haired_uncle wrote: July 19th, 2019, 12:28 am true north: wartug has hate of wounds, which in the intro says heals half, but in the unit description says heals all. I don't have any unit that can land a single blow powerful enough to kill him from 41% HP. He's afraid of cold, so I guess I'll have to hit him with the unit I don't have which does cold damage.
I'll take a look at this as soon as I can.

EDITED (post avoided me while posting this)
EarthCake wrote: doughter -> daughter
it'dve? What is it supposed to mean?
Doughter is a correct archaic spelling of daughter, you'll also find it spelled "dothor". it'dve stands for jabbered "it would have".
EarthCake wrote: Formation ability can't be seen by any method? (I mean that +5 defense)
Is it supposed that War Cart is carried to scenario 3?
Formation should work fine, you can see the +X% defense in the attack description window. Indeed not on the map hex though.
When I kill Gair, event ocurres, and Gair is again alive. However, that is an infinite amount of experience (until turn 18). I would suggest that killing him makes player lose scenario.
That's a valid point, I'll change that as suggested.
EDIT END

However, I tried starting the campaign from Windows OS Steam-release, and Wesnoth 1.14.7 crashes when I try to load any scenario of the game, pointing to a problem with libvorbis. Does anyone else have this issue? Wesnoth crashing on Windows when trying to play Ravagers 1.1.21?
I definitely don't have this problem on Linux, and I did not have this problem with Windows with Wesnoth 1.14.5. I'm just trying to collect some backup voices before I take this to a technical forum.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

(4) wench -> wrench
very soon... -> very fast...

For some reason merfolk don't disappear in second part of scenario. (I mean leader does.)

EDIT:
First dialog scenario:
Cormac IV. -> Cormac IV, (. -> ,)
Last edited by EarthCake on July 19th, 2019, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

It does not crash for me when starting the campaign, Wesnoth 1.14.7 (installed via steam), Windows 10.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Konrad2 wrote: July 19th, 2019, 9:20 pm It does not crash for me when starting the campaign, Wesnoth 1.14.7, Windows 10.
Same here. I don't think I have Steam unless it's built in (I don't know anything about windows). I recently played 1.1.21.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

(6)
Ducal Spearman doesn't have attack animation, so it looks very weird when he attacks without moving.
When it is turn 15 and dawn comes, under the light of fire it still shows dusk. And still there is +0 alignment, but I suppose it should be +25.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

EarthCake wrote: July 19th, 2019, 9:19 pm For some reason merfolk don't disappear in second part of scenario. (I mean leader does.)
It's been discussed before, and I had ruled in favor of keeping the leftover merfolk units. I'm considering adding an AI that makes them flee (because Lurm appeared), so technically they are still in play, but their behavior is more understandable.
EarthCake wrote: July 19th, 2019, 9:19 pm (4) wench -> wrench
No, that's wench ;) Wrench is a tool.
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... lish/wench
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... ish/wrench
EarthCake wrote: July 20th, 2019, 10:02 am (6)
Ducal Spearman doesn't have attack animation, so it looks very weird when he attacks without moving.
Ducal units' graphics is WIP, lot's of animations are missing or are incorrect.
When it is turn 15 and dawn comes, under the light of fire it still shows dusk. And still there is +0 alignment, but I suppose it should be +25.
I may have forgotten about changing the time areas accordingly to the schedule, I'll fix that :)

I have found a post in Technical Issues that's very similar to may own case with Ravagers making Wesnoth crash, so I'll continue there. But I guess I'm glad that it's fine for most of you :)
EDIT: The bug is definitely not in the campaign.
EDIT2: The issue will be worked around in 1.1.22. If anyone is experiencing this - it's being fixed.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

white_haired_uncle wrote: July 19th, 2019, 12:28 am
true north: wartug has hate of wounds, which in the intro says heals half, but in the unit description says heals all. I don't have any unit that can land a single blow powerful enough to kill him from 41% HP. He's afraid of cold, so I guess I'll have to hit him with the unit I don't have which does cold damage.
OK, I checked this and you're right, this is the case, but it's not broken. An enemy is either normal, terrified, or enraged. There is no double-enraged and stuff like that. If you have a cold attack to terrify it that's cool and makes your life easier, but it's not necessary to beat Wartug.
A regular combat will look like this: yes, you will eventually lower his HP below 40%, then he will become enraged, and you must defeat an enraged enemy. It's hard, but can be managed, the point is, he won't become "even more enraged" when you lower it below 40% again. Nothing will happen, and you can kill him eventually. The trick here is to cleverly manage your high-damage units, so that they are all ready to attack the moment you enrage him, and thus leave him no chance to have an own turn while being enraged.

The description was indeed wrong though - I've fixed that, and new they really only heal up by half of their max HP. It's close to a full heal (90%), but it was indeed wrong in the tutorial. And the damage buff effect was also out of sync with the descriptions, I've fixed those too.

I've uploaded 1.1.22 to the add-ons server. It packs quite a lot of changes, improvements and fixes. For freshly started games, in the preferences menu it is now possible to customize at any time, which music packs should be used for the scenario playlist. For saved games all packs are used (the default setting), no change here.
Changelog 1.1.22: