The Ravagers - SP campaign for Wesnoth 1.16 [Feedback and development]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Re: The Ravagers - NEW SP campaign - [Feedback and developme

Post by WhiteWolf »

Lumen wrote:captain and longbow man have different potraits in choose leader but in game they have same ( longbowman ) is this done intentionally ?
Toast
Toast
nightranger_beer.png (157.37 KiB) Viewed 5668 times
And this has been finally improved with the updated 1.0.10 version. There is now a unique set of portraits for the captain-style leader option. :) Portraits have been frankensteined from the frankensteined work of The_Gnat.
Solved:
EDIT:
Uploaded 1.0.11 with a quickfix so that 1.0.9 or older saved games are compatible with the 1.0.11 version, but the old narrator images will be shown. The new profile is only shown upon restart of the campaign.
1.0.11 Changelog:
Best regards,
WhiteWolf
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi,

Uploaded 1.0.12 with a single but important bugix:
- The recruitment of monks was cancelled after map 12 by accident, now fixed

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

I am playing the campaign, at the ultimate warchief difficulty at that. The first 2 scenarios were rather hard and tricky, i had to replay them a few times, but then when you get going you have quite a lot of strong units so the game becomes a lot easier. So far I like the campaign, though I couldn't help but feel a kind of a Shadow of Mordor vibe.

Now, here I will share my thoughts about some of the other campaigns from the underness series. i have played the Blind Sentinel and The Desolation of Karlag.

About the Blind Sentinel, I think it is a rather interesting and decent campaign I think the story was ok, the battles in the campaign were a bit repetitive I think but I have played it a long time ago so I am not completely sure. Overall I think it was ok, not bad but not particularly good either.

About the Desolation of Karlag, I will be completely honest here, I hated it, after the first few scenarios I stopped playing. The story did not appeal to me at all, I did not enjoy it, if I liked the characters I probably would have liked the campaign more and finished it, but I didn't, the characters weren't at all likeable and I had no interest in getting to know their bad, unoriginal and cliche story. About the gameplay itself, I think the few scenarios I played maybe aside the first were rather tedious, kill all enemies and all that, coupled with the fact that we usually lacked the proper assortment of units to do the job it was tedious at times. It is just my opinion about it, don't take it personally please, maybe the other campaigns of the series are really good, but i haven't played them.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

I always balance the campaigns so the I can barely (or just about cannot) win them on hard. And then the nightmare difficulty is a bit harder, so I can only guess how difficult it actually is. Therefore, a more detailed feedback on the difficulty of each maps, detailing which should be harder, which is too easy, would be welcome.
(Seriously, you got through 9-Trails of a Mage without any retries, without any difficulties? On nightmare? I believe it when I see the debug-free replay... :mrgreen: )
Some aspects and Maggoth were indeed inspired by Shadow of Mordor.

I think it would be better if we discussed the Underness Series in the appropriate topics, though neither of them are subject to change or major improvements right now.
I'm sorry to hear you disliked TDOK that much, but I guess Karlag and his followers were never meant to be likable. They're simply not the good guys. I'm not sure if we're talking about the 1.2.x versions, the campaign received some, in my opinion, major improvements in graphics and stronghold-style to the last map. It's also no coincidence that the campaign is only like what, 11-12 scenarios long. It's a prequel, visualizing past events of Stone of the North, as also mentioned on the front description, and at the beginning of the story.
If you have suggestions on what could be improved, please post it here.

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

I just finished trails of a mage, I have to admit that I did retry some other maps, because i blundered heroic units or something, sometiems I lost lvl 3 units, but I think I do not care too much since I feel like I have enough of them and want to get some new ones as well XD

But trails of the mage wasn't one of them XD I finished it on the first try I will attach a replay, in that one monks are essential, I kind of waited in the corner of the forest for a while so that ai would send units on the barbarians, the woses destroyedt hem ultimately but I slowly but steadily marched through the forest killing all ambushing units until i killed the elf. I will add replay.

Btw the mission where you need to defend with Cormac and elf ovelrold, was easier than this, and one of the easiest maps in the campaign. Basically what i did is i took Cormac and spammed spears and a few monks, and then i used the crazy lvl 4 leadership on them, spears shreded the maximum aggression dark elves ai. i think spears are the most effective there since the 22g lvl 1 man at arms is overpriced (but the 33g lvl 2 is not, i recruited it in the trails of a mage when I realized its actually good)

I have to say the campaign has some very interesting and fun mechanics, apart from the units and abilities the drinking ability sounds fun XD I took the strongest +18% ale now, lets see what will happen XD Are the intoxication events random? Or are they not?

About the Karlag, yes I have played it on some of the older versions, now that I downloaded it i noticed there were some changes, eg I do not remember the sailor in 3rd scenario, i remember what I did when i played that scenario (btw it is scenario where i stopped playing, i didn't like the scenario much) I spammed DA and a few zombies. Maybe they were there, maybe not, I don't remember exactly.

Yes they are not supposed to be likeable but they aren't cool either, so what is the reason to play with them? And the story is basically that he wants to kill everybody and conquer the world. Karlag is supposed to be a strong wizard, but he is just a slightly stronger version of a dark adept. Also, I hate the look of his sprite, the portrait isn't that bad I guess, though still I do not like it that much, but the sprite just doesn't fit wesnoth at all and looks bad, I would be much happier to see some fancy variation of a dark adept sprite. Or maybe, use some old sprites of dark adept from the older versions.

Btw the ultracures description doesn't work for me, i get some bug with the color.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Thanks for the details, I'll see where I can use them. The 22g Man at Arms might indeed be overpriced, I have been thinking on reducing it 19g, like the normal heavy infantryman.

The actual effect of being drunk is random, the difference in the strength of the drink is how much it boosts your intox level, and on nightmare it can mean that intoxication can expand over multiple maps (unless I miscalculated the numbers :whistle: ). There are some maps however where drunkenness effects are not present because of the structure of the map. (it could be too op or pointless, like in caves).

Some descriptions only work in the in-game window, but not in the help window, I'm aware of that, but so far I was lazy to fix it - I didn't assume anyone would want to read the descriptions in the help window.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Re: The Ravagers - SP campaign - [Feedback and development]

Post by WhiteWolf »

Uploaded 1.0.13. It includes some of the recommended balance issues, not all of them yet.
It's mostly a bugfix, as known bug #1 is fixed finally :)
Changelog 1.0.13:
WhiteWolf
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

In the Mines scenario I remember one of my lvl 2 shielders managed to pick coal without a pickaxe for some reason, but later i wasn't able to recreate it again.

Also in orcish vanguard supposedly i got headless horse the second time after killing it in the scenario before, but it did not spawn. Was this intended? is it because i killed it earlier?
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Shielders and their advancements are supposed to be able to mine without pickaxes. (since they have heavy hammers). I'm quite sure there's a footnote on this in the tutorial, but I'll check again. It should be recreatable though, I'll check that too.

Can you please attach a replay on orcish vanguard? Do you mean you received a random boss on the same map twice? ( this is not supposed to be :hmm: ) Or that you had received the headless on another map before already? I'll check why it did not spawn.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

I just have save from turn 9 since i replayed the scenario just to avoid any bugs, and this time i got the flying thingy which spawned properly. I received the headless horse on the scenario before, called Face of the Enemy
Attachments
TRS-(13)_Orcish_Vanguard_Tura_9.gz
(253.79 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Could you please post (or maybe I can find it somewhere listed in the campaign files?) the list of all random events that can occure due to Dayton getting drunk? XD I would really like to see that.

Also, I noticed that you requested feedback on the ability change for Gallien's pickpocket ability, I can give my opinion on all the abilities i had an option to chose so far.

Spoiler:
Also, my intoxication got lowered to 70% slightly above the level i had when i started drinking, is that intentional? Dayton sure has strong head.
Last edited by Elder2 on June 23rd, 2017, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Mountain people is bugged, green leader does not recruit at all
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

ElderofZion wrote:Mountain people is bugged, green leader does not recruit at all
This is Nightmare specific, sorry. You can do a hotfix: open userdata/add-ons/The_Ravagers/scenarios/17b_Mountain_People.cfg, and replace line 134 from

Code: Select all

#ifdef NIGHMARE
with

Code: Select all

#ifdef NIGHTMARE
. A typo with the T, sorry. Reload the scenario and it should work.

The list of random enemies is The_Ravagers/utils/random_events.cfg. I've been planning to somehow prevent the player from getting the same enemy over again, but it's not implemented yet.
SPOILER: List of random enemies:
The file you attached is a savefile from the last turn, I can't do anything with it :( I meant the replay of the game, if you have it. I scanned the code, but I don't see why the rider didn't spawn. If you have an enemy with a leader, it should have spawned, so in lack of a replay, I'll have to do a bit more thorough test. :(

Can you please edit your previous post with the details of drinking into a [ spoiler ] tag? :) Other players might not want to know the exact effects in advance when they visit this forum.
Thank you for the feedback anyways :) I guess though that the effectiveness of Dothar's trait is difficulty-specific. But I might tweak the drink percentages according to effectiveness.

A note, unfortunately I can't update until next week, and I won't be as frequently available as usual, but I'll try to do my best.
WhiteWolf
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Ok, sure, I will edit.

Ok, i think i managed to fix the issue.

Thank you for the info, yeah limiting them to appearing only once would be nice, I already got the winged creature twice in the exact scenario i had issue with, it spawned normally.

It seems that i can save the replay from turn 9 I send you xD
Attachments
TRS-(13)_Orcish_Vanguard_Tura_9.gz
(253.79 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

I've uploaded 1.0.14 to the server with a couple of changes, improvements, bugfixes and stuff:
Changelog 1.0.14:
So, I've generated a replay from the savegame, and I think I've got it.
the bug:
The rest of the changes to be made is to wait for a while :(
WhiteWolf