Return from the Abyss [SP campaign for 1.12/1.14]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Matteo501

Re: Return from the Abyss [SP campaign for 1.12]

Post by Matteo501 »

Hi,

I probably missed something obvious but in scenario 3 "the old castle" i don't get how to achieve "Find more information about Thoadarak king's power": i can resist 24 turns and even close all tunnels but how to find more informations?

Thanks!
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

Hi Matteo, maybe it is not totally obvious, as the destination is not highlighted as it is usually done in Wesnoth. Anyway:
Spoiler:
Matteo501

Post by Matteo501 »

Great i got it! I had assumed everyone could use this key once it had been found.
May be the name of the character who has to find more information could be mentionned in the objective :)

Thanks a lot, this campain is amazing!
skeptical_troll

Matteo501 wrote:I had assumed everyone could use this key once it had been found.
Right, I see how this can cause confusion. I made a small key overlay which will make it clear that Eridon has it. It will be quite useful also for another scenario of the campaign. Will be there with the next release.
skeptical_troll

Minor update, although it was quite some work from my side. Mainly, I added the italian translation (I'm happy to receive feedback/corrections on that as well). For some reason, strings are not translated for the 'title screens' at the beginning of the three parts, which are just normal story text with different color/size to look like a title. I couldn't figure out why, if anybody knows please tell me (.po file is still there).
Then I made the 'easy' level slightly easier at the beginning, and added key overlays in the two scenarios where they were needed.

I also added a text file in the add-on folder with some brief backstory on the cultists, if anybody is interested in that.
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Computer_Player »

Hi!

Thanks for this campaign where you've done an amazing job not only in terms of writing and lore, but also the gameplay keeps me on my toes. This has made me appreciate Khalifate even more, I especially love the "unhomed" setting ala the Odyssey; further you managed to keep the charater of the faction consistent.

I am currently in "assault at the border". Sadly I didn't think of saving my replays. I will see if I have some good saves to post.

By the way, a bug is that my unit recruit count is stuck at 40 (for infantry) which isn't going down (I only noticed this on act 3), but the mounted unit count works correctly.

a bit of a peeve is that it would be nice to have droid ai sides as ally sometimes although I understand the choice in some scenarios (indeed I like the multi leader mechanism).

Keep up the good work :) More power to khalifate (hopefully I'll get around to helping balance it vs default)

Edit: Forgot I already posted this here XD
Spoiler:
skeptical_troll

Hi, I'm glad you're enjoying it, the Odyssey was indeed a model I was thinking of when drafting the story. :)
Computer_Player wrote:By the way, a bug is that my unit recruit count is stuck at 40 (for infantry) which isn't going down (I only noticed this on act 3), but the mounted unit count works correctly.
Good catch! It was actually just an interface problem, the hidden counting was going correctly. I fixed it now and should work fine. It concerned only the last two scenarios (and I think the mounted units too), that's probably why I didn't spot it before.
Computer_Player wrote:a bit of a peeve is that it would be nice to have droid ai sides as ally sometimes although I understand the choice in some scenarios (indeed I like the multi leader mechanism).
You mean beside the mighty army of plagued peasant? :whistle: :whistle: Initially Gnarg was AI-controlled in the orcs scenarios, but then I realized it was more frustrating than helpful. I have mixed feeling for AI allies, so for this campaign I decided to avoid them. :)
Spoiler:
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Computer_Player »

I have recently finished it! Playing on Hard all the way, although I save loaded sometimes (that eel scenario... and the sewers)

Glorious campaign with nice writing and atmosphere.
Spoiler:
P.P.S. I think the recruit limit can be reduced to 40 infantry 15 mounted (at least on hard) to really feel the effects later on. This would also help encourage recruitment of scenario limited races and help make the addition of units feel a greater boon (such as the militia guys)
Attachments
RftA-The_Die_is_Cast_Turn_42.gz
(273.04 KiB) Downloaded 439 times
skeptical_troll

thanks for the comments and the suggestion (and for the savefile), I think I will indeed lower a the unit limits but I will keep it on the safe side.
Spoiler:
ploxis

Post by ploxis »

Hi!
Thank you for this great campaign!

But i have trouble. In The forest of the crossing paths there no key enemy - Nuryo. So i cant kill him. And cant win scenario :/ Thats sad. Restart from previous map didnt helped.
Attachments
RftA-The_Forest_of_the_Crossing_Paths.gz
(29.05 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
skeptical_troll

Hi ploxis, from your save it appears that nuryo is not correctly stored (the variable is empty) in one of the previous scenarios.

- was he there in the dialog at the beginning of the scenario with saurians?

- if not, the problem must be in the first scenario of the second part ('at war'). There it shouldn't be possible to kill him, cause he's programmed to flee at the end or when an enemy approaches him. By looking at the code, I now realized that I make him fleeing only when a side 1 (Khafir's) unit gets close, forgetting that the player also controls side 2. So I suspect that you killed Nuryo in that scenario using orc units, is that right? I will upload a fix for that, but it won't affect your game unless you restart from the beginning of that scenario. Apologies for that.

If you want to avoid to replay so many scenarios (as I presume), here is a solution using debug mode
Spoiler:
ploxis

Post by ploxis »

skeptical_troll wrote:Hi ploxis, from your save it appears that nuryo is not correctly stored (the variable is empty) in one of the previous scenarios.

- was he there in the dialog at the beginning of the scenario with saurians?

- if not, the problem must be in the first scenario of the second part ('at war'). There it shouldn't be possible to kill him, cause he's programmed to flee at the end or when an enemy approaches him. By looking at the code, I now realized that I make him fleeing only when a side 1 (Khafir's) unit gets close, forgetting that the player also controls side 2. So I suspect that you killed Nuryo in that scenario using orc units, is that right? I will upload a fix for that, but it won't affect your game unless you restart from the beginning of that scenario. Apologies for that.
Yeah, i really killed him with big ugly ork chieftan. Ty for solution!
ploxis

Post by ploxis »

skeptical_troll wrote:when the scenario 'forest of the crossing paths' has loaded, use the keyboard to enter
":debug"
then move the cursor to the keep where Nuryo is supposed to be (29,4)
enter
":create Fugitive"
a fugitive will appear in that place. Still with the cursor on the same hex, enter (mind the lower case here)
":unit id=nuryo"
and (optional)
":unit name=Nuryo "
then you should be able to finish the scenario.
Yoy missed two things.
1. :unit side=3
2. Nuryo must be a leader. And i dont understand how to set him :)

P.s. where can i read about debug commands?
skeptical_troll

You are right, it would be quite pointless if he doesn't recruit. :oops: :mrgreen: Update the campaign to the last version, I just made a fix which should solve your problem (by restarting from the beginning of the forest scenario).

FYI, here you find the list of debug commands.
Spoiler:
ploxis

Post by ploxis »

Thank you!

You are great! :) And this is wonderfull campaign. Especially those dwarf scouts. I love them :)