Would you be interested in a return of Wesnoth-UMC-Dev?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Astoria
Inactive Developer

Would you be interested in a return of Wesnoth-UMC-Dev?

Post by Astoria »

As the title suggests, I’d like to see if there are people willing to be part of a “new” Wesnoth-UMC-Dev.

Once upon a time, there was an SVN repository that allowed Wesnoth UMC creators to collaborate and host their projects and served as sort of a “UMC community” or better yet, a “UMC guild”. Many beloved and legendary add-ons were once part of this, including the now-mainline campaign Legend of Wesmere and classics such as Invasion from the Unknown and the Extended Era.

Sadly, this community has since fallen apart, and many add-on creators have moved to GitHub instead for version control. That’s why I had the idea to create a new “community” for this on GitHub. The idea would be to create an organization on GitHub that hosts all the UMC projects under the same namespace, allowing users to help out with others’ projects, as well as keeping track of them. The largest benefit of using GitHub over the current (or a new) SVN repository would be that every project would still be in its own repository with its own branches, tags, issue tracker and wiki, while also having the community aspects the old UMC-Dev had. Another benefit would be that many people find Git a lot more pleasant to work with than SVN, because of its decentralized nature and better handling of merges.

The question that remains now is whether the Wesnoth UMC creators would appreciate such a community, which is why I’m making this thread. Please let me know if you are (or aren’t) interested, and state your complaints and ideas. Since this is a community effort, I’d love to hear the community’s opinion on it.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Dugi

Re: Would you be interested in a return of Wesnoth-UMC-Dev?

Post by Dugi »

I would not object, but I would not welcome it either. I don't see any big advantage in it. It could be simply because I am an individualist.
Sire

Post by Sire »

I have no idea of how such a system works as I am somewhat unfamiliar with GitHub.

As for me, I tend to work alone, incorporating feedback from the message boards and asking questions when needed. I find that the forums serve my purposes well enough and don't see the appeal in hosting something elsewhere, unless there are multiple people working on the same project. I also consider myself organized enough that I don't need yet another issue tracker and the like as I put all of that down in a Word document, alongside my changelogs and other notes.

For all purposes, I am indifferent. I wouldn't mind if such a thing existed, but I probably would have little use for it. However, it may be wise to bring up this idea again once Wesnoth releases on Steam and there is a new influx of players and creators, as there may be others willing to utilize this "UMC guild."
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Pretty much same as Sire said. Usually only a single person is actively working on a project anyway.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

I think it would be useful to have something find the gihub repos of wesnoth addons easier, in the github web inteface it's usuualy quite easy to see for example what exactly has changed between 2 versions. So when i update an adddon i can easily see what has changes since the last version, sepcailyl since changelogs are often incomplete.

It also useful that you can see the code online. You can for examepl when you have a problem in the forums you can just post the link to the github repo instead of copyign the code, like in:
In scenario 6 in the Campaign 'legend of wesmere' Side side Olurf get additions random recuits froma faction see here the line whre olurfs side is defined: https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/blob ... ed.cfg#L85
(yes that is a real bug in 1.12.5) I think this would be better than cyoping the code to the forums because those copies are usually incomplete and cont contain the actual bugged case.

Still i'm not really mostived to move my project from my accont to some other organisation.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

When it comes time to make repo for ageless for 1.13 then I might make it under organisation, but for my small ones I dont see point.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hmm, I would not object to this and I am actually somewhat eager to join this new "guild." Can anyone point out the benefits of joining? Is it better for me to work my projects alone (with the occasional feedback from playtesters)?
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

One of the benefits is that others can help you more easily with fixing bugs in your projects, as well as run administrative tools such as wmlindent, wmllint, wesnoth-optipng. It also provides a more centralized place so it's easier to find the git repository of a given project and discover projects that may not have a forum thread / server upload yet. It also provides every member with a newsfeed of everything that's happening in the organization on GitHub.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Speaking of wmlindent, I would be pleased if the four space padding was replaced by tab, it's increasing the size of my campaigns by megabytes.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

One of the benefits is that others can help you more easily with fixing bugs in your projects, as well as run administrative tools such as wmlindent, wmllint, wesnoth-optipng. It also provides a more centralized place so it's easier to find the git repository of a given project and discover projects that may not have a forum thread / server upload yet. It also provides every member with a newsfeed of everything that's happening in the organization on GitHub.
Where do I sign? :D
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Dugi wrote:Speaking of wmlindent, I would be pleased if the four space padding was replaced by tab, it's increasing the size of my campaigns by megabytes.
I agree that tabs woudl be better, using tabs also has the advantage of making it easier to copy codes form savefiles or other game-generated cfg files, which already use tab indent (speaking as someone who doesn't use wmlindent).
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Dugi wrote:Speaking of wmlindent, I would be pleased if the four space padding was replaced by tab, it's increasing the size of my campaigns by megabytes.
Change data/tools/wesnoth/wmltools.py to have baseindent = "\t"