Struggle For Freedom 0.3.3 (for 1.12)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

rogul

Struggle For Freedom 0.3.3 (for 1.12)

Post by rogul »

Description

This single player campaign is set 5 or 6 years into Asheviere's reign, around 506YW. The player controls elves and humans against orcs, humans and undead.

It has 11 scenarios, 2 of which are dialogue only.

Status

This was originally created for Wesnoth 1.6 and I have ported it to 1.12 (and 1.13 planned soon).

All scenarios are working, however the second half of the campaign has not been balanced or refined as well as I would like.

Some of the graphics probably require work to update them to the newer styles, please point them out when you see them.

Feedback

Feedback can be left in this forum or there is a Struggle For Freedom forum in the Add-on Feedback section. See Struggle For Freedom Feedback, which has specific questions about your experience playing a scenario or the campaign. All feedback is gratefully accepted as this is my first foray into Wesnoth campaign creation.

There is an old forum, mostly to do with the 1.6 version, you can see it here: Original Struggle For Freedom Forum.

History
Version 0.3.3 (2016-07-11) - Fixed S4, updated NightBlade, fixed _main.cfg
Version 0.3.2 (2016-07-06) - Updated graphics and minor dialogue changes
Version 0.3.1 (2016-06-24) - Fixes to last 2 scenarios, all scenarios working
Version 0.3.0 (2016-06-23) - Altered scenario naming - NB. breaks save games from previous versions
Version 0.2.0 (2016-06-20) - Fixed most major issues.
Version 0.1.0 (2016-06-16) - First version for 1.12.
Last edited by rogul on July 10th, 2016, 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Struggle For Freedom 0.3.2 (for 1.12)

Post by Paulomat4 »

Some of the graphics probably require work to update them to the newer styles, please point them out when you see them.
Now that I think of it there is also a lvl 3 mainline orcish assassin. So you can replace those in scenario 3 :)
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Paulomat4 wrote:Now that I think of it there is also a lvl 3 mainline orcish assassin. So you can replace those in scenario 3 :)
correction: it's in UtbS, and various UMCs and is called Orcish Nightblade there (it's nearly as popular as Death Baron in addons, a few addon examples:
The Golden Age (my era, that takes up 21 MB, also good option if you want more, say, mainline-race units) The Rising (Paulomat4's campaign), and a lot more)
also, a little bug with the main, that makes campaign's units appear everywhere else, here is the problem:

Code: Select all

define=CAMPAIGN_STRUGGLE_FOR_FREEDOM

[binary_path]
    path="data/add-ons/Struggle_For_Freedom"
[/binary_path]

#ifndef EDITOR

# NOTE: do not change the order in which these files are preprocessing unless
# you are very sure of what you are doing.

[lua]
    code = <<

-- Global helper function table.
        helper = wesnoth.require "lua/helper.lua"

-- Load local code files.
        for i, file in ipairs {
            'common.lua',
        }
        do
            wesnoth.dofile('~add-ons/Struggle_For_Freedom/lua/' .. file)
        end
    >>
[/lua]

{~add-ons/Struggle_For_Freedom/macros}

[+units]
    {~add-ons/Struggle_For_Freedom/units}
[/units]

{~add-ons/Struggle_For_Freedom/terrain-graphics}
{~add-ons/Struggle_For_Freedom/terrain-virtual.cfg}

{~add-ons/Struggle_For_Freedom/scenarios}
{~add-ons/Struggle_For_Freedom/about.cfg}

#else
[editor_group]
    id = "wesnoth-UMC-Struggle-For-Freedom"
    name = _ "Struggle For Freedom (custom terrains)"
    icon = "group_custom"
[/editor_group]

#endif
it must be like this

Code: Select all

[binary_path]
    path="data/add-ons/Struggle_For_Freedom"
[/binary_path]

#ifdef CAMPAIGN_STRUGGLE_FOR_FREEDOM

# NOTE: do not change the order in which these files are preprocessing unless
# you are very sure of what you are doing.

[lua]
    code = <<

-- Global helper function table.
        helper = wesnoth.require "lua/helper.lua"

-- Load local code files.
        for i, file in ipairs {
            'common.lua',
        }
        do
            wesnoth.dofile('~add-ons/Struggle_For_Freedom/lua/' .. file)
        end
    >>
[/lua]

{~add-ons/Struggle_For_Freedom/macros}

[+units]
    {~add-ons/Struggle_For_Freedom/units}
[/units]

{~add-ons/Struggle_For_Freedom/scenarios}
{~add-ons/Struggle_For_Freedom/about.cfg}
#endif

#ifdef EDITOR
[editor_group]
    id = "wesnoth-UMC-Struggle-For-Freedom"
    name = _ "Struggle For Freedom (custom terrains)"
    icon = "group_custom"
[/editor_group]

#endif
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

I´ve been wanting to replay the first 2 scenarios again with the new changes and move on from there, but work has been in my way lately. When i get more time, i will surely drop here some feedback for you. From the changelogs it seems that you have been doing a good job, keep it up ;)
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

Hi, in the dark hills scenario, the computer always ask me to kill the undead leader before finish, when is already dead.
rogul

Post by rogul »

ydcl wrote:Hi, in the dark hills scenario, the computer always ask me to kill the undead leader before finish, when is already dead.
New version 0.3.3 uploaded to fix this. Also updated NightStalker to NightBlade and fixed the _main.cfg to limit defines to this campaign.
ydcl

Re: Struggle For Freedom 0.3.3 (for 1.12)

Post by ydcl »

thanks
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Hey rogul, thanks for your work in porting this campaign.

There are a couple things preventing the latest version (0.3.3) of the campaign from loading though:
-Undefined macro in #ifver/#ifnver first argument at ~add-ons\\Struggle_For_Freedom\\_main.cfg:30
-Macro/file 'TSTR_ATTACK_NAME_DAGGER' is missing at ~add-ons\\Struggle_For_Freedom\\units\\orcs\\Nightblade.cfg:82

Anyway I'm currently on Scenario 2 and I feel like it's too difficult (hard difficulty). I have 80 + 51 carryover gold (you really can't make much money from Scenario 1) which is enough for only a few units, which mostly end up dying to the horde of saurians/orcs. (I only won by having Uvollyn run northeast while the other units acted as cannon fodder).

A small bug: Scenario 2 gives you the early finish bonus even if you don't defeat both leaders.

A couple typos in S1:
-line 209 "Remember the forest faeries will defend the forest, but will not go beyond it's borders." -> its
-line 250 "Note attatched to gryphon's leg" -> attached
rogul

Post by rogul »

Ok, new version 0.3.4 up.

Fixed:
  • 'TSTR_ATTACK_NAME_DAGGER' missing
  • Spelling mistakes
  • Made scenario 2 and 4 a bit easier on hard
I haven't played through on hard, so haven't balanced it at all. I tried S2 now and got through only starting with 42 gold carryover. Will play through and see how I go.

Code seems ok for S2 carryover, will check it in game again when I get a chance.

Thanks for the feedback.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Been replaying this campaign and i´m currently on the 4 th scenario(normal difficulty). Everything seems fine in the first 3 levels and is challenging enough now.
On the 4th scenario the loyal crown from the shyde that comes from the house is missing(she only has the loyal trait) and the portrait from the bandit´s leader is old(there´s a new mainline portrait for that same unit which has more quality). Haven´t finished the level yet so can´t really say anything more (some people may have to resort to save-load because the 1 ambush can occur after a unit has wasted all MP and the enemy units are close to it).
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Struggle for Freedom v0.3.4 (Wesnoth 1.12.6/hard)

I finally finished the campaign! Some comments:

S2 The Search for the Ochgma
-The dialogue when you meet the dwarves doesn't trigger (should be race=dwarf in line 327, not dwarves), also it seems the two speaking roles are switched.
-This was indeed easier after the change, or maybe because I knew exactly where to go; I didn't feel that it was too easy but whether or not you make it harder is up to you.

S6 The Courtyard
This is almost a guaranteed restart, because if one of your heroes doesn't have moves left when you trigger the event they'll be stuck next to the castle and killed next turn. I think it would be better if everyone spawned a little further away from the castle.

S7 Struggle for freedom
-Minor cosmetic thing - there's some impassible terrain in the middle of the weapon cache room, which looks strange.
-Maybe make the SW prisoners appear once you open the door? I was really confused to see just an empty room.

S8a Eye of Y'fel
-invalid WML: no such shielbearer (typo) recruit
-I found it annoying that when I moved my sylph to take the amulet, it was immediately surrounded from behind and killed; I think it would be better for the necromancers to be there from the beginning, or maybe increase the trigger area so you'll trigger them before entering all the way into the room.
-I finished on exactly turn 40/40 and only because the leader came out of his castle to attack; perhaps there could be a couple more turns on Hard.

S10 Ghosts of a Sylan Land
-typo in line 505: You betrayed you Lord! -> your
-This one is probably too easy - it was a completely one sided slaughter, mostly because you can kill the northern leader before he recruits much, and then the rest of the enemies come at you a few at a time in the forest.
-I missed the reinforcements at 32,8 since the tile is unmarked; maybe increase the trigger area unless it is intended to be a secret.
-Bug? One of the gryphons which shows up is on the enemy side.

---
Thanks for a fun campaign!
Fibon_44

Post by Fibon_44 »

Hello! I found another bug in the last scenario: After obtaining my gold from 25,3 the trigger doesn't disappear, which means I get more gold whenever I put another unit on that hex.
KaptainZura

Post by KaptainZura »

Hey rogul, during the Struggle for Freedom scenario (the one where I start off in the prison cell and the guard comes to laugh at my protagonist) the protagonist's token doesn't show up, as in he's not on the map at all, and as soon as the cutscenes end I instantly get the "you are defeated" message. I do have a few mods active, but they haven't caused problems in any other campaigns, official or fan-made. Any idea as to what's going on?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

KaptainZura wrote: December 22nd, 2021, 10:53 am Hey rogul, during the Struggle for Freedom scenario (the one where I start off in the prison cell and the guard comes to laugh at my protagonist) the protagonist's token doesn't show up, as in he's not on the map at all, and as soon as the cutscenes end I instantly get the "you are defeated" message. I do have a few mods active, but they haven't caused problems in any other campaigns, official or fan-made. Any idea as to what's going on?
I took this as the new maintainer and I did not encounter this issue at all. Let me check the code and see what's up? It's probably one of the mods interfering as they usually do...but let me see what happens.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S2
Doesn't play music at all.

S3
Why no replay for the cutscene scenario?

S4
There is a Troll on 9,27, which is somehow still an allied village.

If you chose to defeat all enemy leaders at turn 10, it doesn't add 'turns run out' to the defeat condition. Is that intentional?

Retreat messages for Tan-Uden are inconsistent.
He first runs away when I spot him, and then runs away a second time when I defeat the last orcish leader. (Imprecise conditionals?)

Any reason why I'm not sharing vision with my allies?

S5
Apparently the mercenary event has a part where the unit speaking is specified by coordinates (29,10), which can lead to one of your own units speaking the part of the mercenaries.

__they__ -> they
Attachments
SFF-Across The Dark Hills-Auto-Save12.gz
Mercenary event
(47.84 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
SFF-Incursion on the Western Glades replay 20211222-140306.gz
(23.27 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
SFF-The Search For The Ochgma replay 20211222-142919.gz
(43.58 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
SFF-An Attack From The North replay 20211222-144704.gz
(54.23 KiB) Downloaded 42 times