Massive Online Multiplayer Senarios

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Would you play this sort of senario?

I guess, if somebody else made it
45%
I would be interested in contributing to such senarios
10%
Depends what mood I was in
14%
I wish you luck but I couldn't care less
17%
I think this goes against the spirit of Wesnoth
14%

Total votes: 29

The_Gnat

Re: Massive Online Multiplayer Senarios

Post by The_Gnat »

I'm not sure what you mean. Their only preset castles are the ones they start at on the very first turn, after that they could randomly appear anywhere outside the cave, new (temporary) castle and all. I didn't want to make them random on the very first turn because it wouldn't do if they both started the game too close to one player. The castles that are scattered around the map are for human players, not the woses/outcasts.
True, it is good if they are both set for the first turn. Merely what i meant was i saw midnight carnivals preset castles and assumed those would be the castles that the ai player randomly started in, if it was killed.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Thanks for explaining about the no swimming or flying units, I had no idea why you wanted to remove these.
I'm glad you are adapting the map I created, I'm not the official map crafter, it is just that nobody else seemed to want to make any :augh:

The idea for the Outcast leader or the blood train giving a different victory condition were things I was suggesting we mighty consider adding later and if needed.
I don't really code anything in WML these days (I made an era a while back but by the time I was finished the Wesnoth had moved on and the WML changed so nobody ever played it) I do not know how difficult it would be to code something which would cause the Outcast leader to choose a direction in which there were fewest enemy units.
As for the blood trail, it would lead to the Dragon's treasure or something.
However both of these (but especially the blood trail) would work best on a map with the Dragon in the centre of the map and players starting around it. Since we are not using this they would not work in the forms I suggested - the Outcast leader could work if it were adapted, the blood trail I think we can agree won't work at all.

Also, re the no flying or swimming units: Wesnoth teams are balanced as they are - as you can see, I'm all for innovation or adaptation, but creating new factions or removing units from existing ones would mean that you need to re-balance the sides.
I don't understand the part about using chasm and deep water as the obstacles (only obstacles?) but I think that for now it would work best if we make one major change at a time perhaps :hmm:
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

(I made an era a while back but by the time I was finished the Wesnoth had moved on and the WML changed so nobody ever played it)
Do you still have it i would be interested to see it :D

Also about the map i think that (even though you are not the official map creator) you have done a really good job!
Midnight_Carnival

:cry: It's on a computer on another continent at present. I could ask one of my family to mail it to me and then I'd send it to you, but i'm not sure I'd be able to get you a working version.
Before we change over to the new version of Wesnoth this was the most popular era amongst my family and friends for multiplayer hotseat games (maybe just because I made it :doh: )
Midnight_Carnival

:lol: everybody got jobs and girlfriends and so the scenario never saw the light of day :lol:
I haven't contributed much (1 pizza map which nobody liked :P ) for stated reasons, but if you want me to do something more... let me know.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Midnight_Carnival wrote::lol: everybody got jobs and girlfriends and so the scenario never saw the light of day :lol:
I haven't contributed much (1 pizza map which nobody liked :P ) for stated reasons, but if you want me to do something more... let me know.
:lol: Well I liked the pizza map. But you're right, as great as this scenario would be, it's just not a priority for me right now. Maybe sometime, probably after I finish my next campaign, I'll want to get back to it. I think the next thing that would need to happen would be a few dedicated test-plays to get a more solid idea of what we want.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Midnight_Carnival

I'd be happy to make more/better pizza maps, or other maps, help out in other ways and with
Spoiler:
friendly dedicated playtestingzzz :lol: let me know.
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

Pizza? You mean with new terrain that looked like pizza toppings? No — I just looked at the map as available on GitHub. Too bad — that would've been a good bunch to include with my Aggressive Arthropods concept.

As for the topical concept, have any of you seen my To Catch A Predator? Is that anything like what you meant? Gnat, I know you've seen it, at least.
Originally, I was making custom factions for the thing, but I was unable to customize the terrain ratings easily, so i dropped that idea.
Midnight_Carnival

Can-ned_Food wrote:Pizza? You mean with new terrain that looked like pizza toppings?
My original idea was that the dragon would be in the centre of the map with the players around it. This didn't work for a number of reasons and a map was proposed which was long and straight with the dragon at the top and the players at the bottom. The sides would wrap around.
To maximise interaction between players and between players and "creep" factions in the early game I made a map which was wedge-shaped with a round bottom and a pointed top where the dragon would be. This conveyed advantages from both ideas (I hoped). Hence "pizza map" - it's there somewhere, you can look at it if you like.

Also, no need for despondency, the concept is still being developed, just not... actively developed right now.
It's kind of maturing. :mrgreen:
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

It would be a shame to let this project slump into nothing, what exactly is keeping it from being able to be released as an addon?
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

The_Gnat wrote:It would be a shame to let this project slump into nothing, what exactly is keeping it from being able to be released as an addon?
Simply that, although most of the pieces are made, no one has assembled them well enough to begin testing them and balancing the difficulty. Balancing is, imo, the hardest part of making any scenario. And of course we'd also need some dialogue before an actual release.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Midnight_Carnival

dialogue?
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Midnight_Carnival wrote:dialogue?
You know, just a quick story to set up the scene, some gratifying congratulations when someone wins, flavor text for when you first attack the dragon, etc. Not much necessary, really.

The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

If you want i could make up some dialog (and story) for an intro.
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

It is a cold morning when my army rises for the march. Our exhaled breaths like shamefully inept mockery of the fumes emitted by the dragon — the dragon who shall certainly destroy us all.

I share my doubts and my dread with none; not even my adjutants, whose duty it is to know every plan that I conceive for our weary and beragged army: If we perish, it matters not; if our need comes to it, and I must unleash the Spectre, then what would be the benefit gained from their knowing?

The unmistakable tremor courses through both the air and the earth with equal power. Across the distance, at the destination of our day's march, in its lair, the dragon has woken.

:mrgreen: