The Champions of Ursidae *Formerly Kalbruk's Journey*

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Kalbruk's Journey

Post by Ravana »

Capitalization matters on some operating systems. It is still something you need to fix.

You arent wrong though, using Linux would indeed be on his end.
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

After a pretty long break, I'm getting back into coding and finishing this campaign. Its only been like two years :annoyed:. Anyways, update 0.7.4 is live!

Changes:
Maps
Spoiler:
Art
Spoiler:
Units/Balance
Spoiler:
Other
Spoiler:
What to expect in the future: Updates on the spirit bear portraits, Targan's bear rider unit and sprites, new portraits (probably not made by me, those take time and I'm not any good), story pictures, and dialogue updates. Maybe I'll actually finish the campaign too?
Author of beta campaign Kalbruk's Journey - My art thread - My collection of single player scenarios: The Archives
fcbond

Post by fcbond »

Hi,

Thanks for making a new adventure!

I couldn't see the young bear, I think you have to lowercase Young-Bear.png.

The black bears were not regenerating, which made them very weak.

Yours,
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Hi.
Sounds very interesting, a campaign for bears.
Are you planning to port this to BfW 1.14 ?
Cheers
Z-Z
I like beavers.
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

I was surely surprised to see a reply email in my inbox about this campaign. Kalbruk's Journey (and The Price of Capture) is now updated to 1.14. I kinda had to delete BfW 1.12, meaning all my files were gone. I republished Kalbruk's Journey, but you'll have to download it again because it's a "new" add-on. Sorry for any lost progress :?.
Author of beta campaign Kalbruk's Journey - My art thread - My collection of single player scenarios: The Archives
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

Update 0.7.5 is live!

Expect bug fixes and typo fixes. Maps 4, 5, and 7 have minor tweaks; map 3 is redone entirely. The enemy team is made harder in a few scenarios, this will be upped more.

Please let me know what y'all think, especially of the difficulty. Lord knows that the only way I ever work on this is when I get feedback.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

I'm not seeing 0.7.5 on the add-ons server, so I couldn't check, but in 0.7.4, black bears do not regenerate.

Looks like

[regenerates]
[/regenerates]

should be

[regenerate]
[/regenerate]
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Okay, the add-ons server shows that this was updated, but the version number didn't change. I've downloaded the new version and I'm comparing it to my notes, but I'm not going to play it again so there may be some outdated comments.

S04: A couple of times Red Hand says "hears" when he should say "hear". Not sure if this is intentional.

"fool freeze" -> "fool to freeze"

Objectives say no carryover, but then there's an early finish bonus and claim of carryover.

S05: "have countless" -> "have been countless"

S08: "attack and soldiers" -> "attack any soldiers" ?

The Dwarf Commander description claims that they possess leadership qualities, but they don't have leadership?

Same for the Dwarf General, but then it's actually describing the Dwarf Commander again.

I see there is a S12, but S11 has next_scenario=null.

A fun campaign with interesting units. I played on easy, and it felt about right. Went by kind of quick, I never got a chance to try out some of the more advanced units. Maybe I had too much money and recruited too many units and spread the XP around too thin. I hope you continue with this.
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

Yeah sorry about the version mix-up, I forgot to change the version number. Version 0.7.6 "hotfix" is up now.

Changes:
Spoiler:
Red Hand's terrible diction is on purpose, but if it's too cringe inducing it can always change. The unit descriptions are all bear-bones (got em) and will be updated in the future; I started this when I was in 8th grade, so my writing ability was pretty terrible lol. The difficulty will be upped, but probably by the weekend or so when I have more time to work on Wesnoth.

Scenario 12 is in the works. The map is done but the actual scenario is not.

Thank you for the feedback :) .
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

Update 0.7.7 took quite longer than expected, but my development headed in a new direction. Instead of adding new content, I decided to improve what was already there. Begone (some of the) crappy writing!

Changes: I probably forgot some minor things as I didn't update my changelog as I did everything.
Spoiler:
I know I say this every time, but please do leave feedback. Especially now that the bear unit tree has been basically doubled, balancing is more of an issue than ever. You don't know how much I appreciate it when someone leaves something, whether it be criticism or praise. It doesn't matter how small.

Expect new scenarios for the next update. These won't actually be advancing the story, but instead they will improve the existing narrative. They will mostly be in the beginning, giving more explanation and more characterization.
DeCoolest_Cat

Re: The Champions of Ursidae *Formerly Kalbruk's Journey*

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

Kalbruk's Journey is no more - at least in name. The campaign has been largely redone and is now named "The Champions of Ursidae". Five completed scenarios, about ten more to go. Read the new, updated first post of this thread.

TCoU, as it's abbreviated, is a huge improvement over Kalbruk's Journey. Characters now have characterization, the campaign now has a good plot, and the writing isn't bad. Wow.

Expect a few more new units, story pictures, better/more portraits, animations, and finishing the campaign! The art will take especially long, so if anyone wants to help some that'd be awesome. Think of it as a community project, as all of Wesnoth needs animated bear sprites :)

EDIT: When changing the name and trying to publish the add-on again, I lost creator status and basically lost all my files. Luckily, I had a backup, but it was somewhat outdated. I'm sorry for any bugs, as they're probably caused by this transferring/losing of files.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: The Champions of Ursidae *Formerly Kalbruk's Journey*

Post by Konrad2 »

The Ascension
Kalbruk to be our -> Kalbruk to be our (it deletes the second whitespace, but you have two whitespaces between 'be' and 'our'.)
Why are the Walking Corpses lvl 1 and the Soulless lvl 2?

The attack 'Ancestors Will' looks like a melee attack when used. And the image in the attack dialog looks like an ice attack.

Escape From the Sea
were left with mostly with the more traditional -> were left with mostly the more traditional

EDIT:
The Ascension
There is no music in this scenario.
For some reason I have income of 1 gold per turn.

Walking Bear Corpses have no sprite.

EDIT 2:
Given that this scenario is somewhere arctic, the day-night cycle is probably a bit different. You could orientate yourself on 'Bad Mood Rising' regarding this.

EDIT 3:
Escape From The Sea
The Seals demand upkeep from the Wolf monster leader, putting him almost in red income since turn 1.
It says 'no early finish bonus' and 'no carry over' in the scenario objective notes, but both are calculated when you finish the scenario. And applied to the next scenario.

Into the Darkness
scare of -> scare off

EDIT 4:
The game seems to be unhappy about some missing files and multiple IDs. Really unhappy.
wesnoth-20191223-115850-11236.log
(103.11 KiB) Downloaded 128 times