[1.14][WIP] A New Home

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bitron
Developer

Re: [AnH] - A new Home

Post by Bitron »

Glad to hear you like them!

In fact, the Vilkai are implemented already.. kind of at least. A new Home is the story about how the Vilkai came into beeing. The humans you're playing in this campaign are the vilkish people 900 years later.

But! Of course we (a friend of mine and myself, we are working together on this) are working on an own campaign for the Vilkai. It will take a while, but it will definitely come!
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Hey, I got the latest github version and played the first two scenarios so far on Wesnoth 1.14.1. I like the story and the detailed conversations between characters.
(I'd be happy to help out with translating as well- I see you've already got a big translation team going!)

Scenario 1

It was pretty easy on hard difficulty (I spammed woodsmen and used Ysedda's level 2 leadership), so I think the player could start with less gold or units perhaps.

It seems like the goblin Karga shouldn't have the ability to recruit, because then Grogul lets Karga recruit in the keep while standing outside on the grass.

Scenario 2 (The Fall)

There is a WML error about the unknown unit Wolf Knight.

Also even if you didn't discover Ven in the first scenario, moving Ysedda to that village at 22,15 still triggers the dialogue (followed by a WML error about unstoring Ven).

Maybe the orcs could arrive a turn or two earlier, because it only takes two turns to find everybody and this way you could make sure the player's units are near the village when the orcs appear. Otherwise if the player knew the scenario beforehand they could send their units immediately toward the exit or toward one of the orc leaders' starting positions to ambush them.

For the victory event maybe the trigger area could be extended, since I crowded the units around the signpost and nothing happened; I had to move them further up into the forest. Also shouldn't evacuating Johan also be required?

For the scout dialogues in the beginning, instead of doing it case by case it might be shorter to do something like assigning a "scout" role to a unit of the type horseman or cavalier or advancements, and then having that scout speak the lines?
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

Inky wrote: May 24th, 2018, 1:07 pm Hey, I got the latest github version and played the first two scenarios so far on Wesnoth 1.14.1. I like the story and the detailed conversations between characters.
(I'd be happy to help out with translating as well- I see you've already got a big translation team going!)
Yes, and I am very excited about that! Feel free to join the team. :)

Inky wrote: May 24th, 2018, 1:07 pm It was pretty easy on hard difficulty (I spammed woodsmen and used Ysedda's level 2 leadership), so I think the player could start with less gold or units perhaps. It seems like the goblin Karga shouldn't have the ability to recruit, because then Grogul lets Karga recruit in the keep while standing outside on the grass.
Ah, yes. I guess I will set Ysedda to lvl1 again. And Karga is indeed not supposed to be able to recruit. That's a bug due to recent change on his unit type. Note that so far there is no difference between the three difficulties. As long as I am developing the campaign, all are the same to have a base difficulty. I wanted to deal with difficulties when all scenarios are working.
Inky wrote: May 24th, 2018, 1:07 pm There is a WML error about the unknown unit Wolf Knight.
While typing this answer I work on a commit for fixing all named issues. By the time I send this post, the commit is pushed as well.
Inky wrote: May 24th, 2018, 1:07 pm Also even if you didn't discover Ven in the first scenario, moving Ysedda to that village at 22,15 still triggers the dialogue (followed by a WML error about unstoring Ven).
That of course should not be happening. I think I solved it now.
Inky wrote: May 24th, 2018, 1:07 pm Maybe the orcs could arrive a turn or two earlier, because it only takes two turns to find everybody and this way you could make sure the player's units are near the village when the orcs appear. Otherwise if the player knew the scenario beforehand they could send their units immediately toward the exit or toward one of the orc leaders' starting positions to ambush them.

For the victory event maybe the trigger area could be extended, since I crowded the units around the signpost and nothing happened; I had to move them further up into the forest. Also shouldn't evacuating Johan also be required?
They arrive one turn earlier now, plus the are is now a bit bigger and marked different.
Inky wrote: May 24th, 2018, 1:07 pm For the scout dialogues in the beginning, instead of doing it case by case it might be shorter to do something like assigning a "scout" role to a unit of the type horseman or cavalier or advancements, and then having that scout speak the lines?
The role-tag is useful, but in this case we have different characters speaking. Each of them react different in the same situation, thus we need to know who exactly is speaking. :)

So. I've (hopefully) fixed all issues you named here and pushed the fix to the dev branch in the git repo. :)
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Wow, that was quick! :D

I replayed the second scenario and having the orcs arrive earlier does seem to improve the pacing. The objectives change and the dialogue about evacuating still appear on turn 5 though.

Should the objectives also require Johan to move to the signpost?

For the third scenario (fog of war), maybe another idea is when a player's unit gets sighted, to kill that unit only instead of just ending in defeat. It's a bit hard to manage all those 5 movement units, took me a couple restarts :oops: (and it is strange that the more loyals you kept alive the harder this scenario is).
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

Inky wrote: May 24th, 2018, 4:20 pmI replayed the second scenario and having the orcs arrive earlier does seem to improve the pacing. The objectives change and the dialogue about evacuating still appear on turn 5 though.
Wow, that was quick! x)
I will let objectives show earlier. One sec. ... Done.
Inky wrote: May 24th, 2018, 4:20 pmShould the objectives also require Johan to move to the signpost?
Not script wise. But I sure can change that, if it feels more natural. (I guess so, otherwise you would not have brought that up)
Inky wrote: May 24th, 2018, 4:20 pmFor the third scenario (fog of war), maybe another idea is when a player's unit gets sighted, to kill that unit only instead of just ending in defeat. It's a bit hard to manage all those 5 movement units, took me a couple restarts :oops: (and it is strange that the more loyals you kept alive the harder this scenario is).
Indeed it is more of a "trial and error" scenario. But well, the thing is that if the orcs even see one of them, they know: "hah, they are definitely here!". Also, they don't want to fight and kill them, they actually want to capture the humans. So killing sighted units would work against their intention. Uhh, but I have an Idea. O_O.
Spoiler: