Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.13.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Do you ever use the Episode II menu entry to launch the campaign?

Poll ended at August 6th, 2020, 4:21 am

Yes
8%
No
92%

Total votes: 12

gavenkoa

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.0.0 [Wesnoth 1.12]

Post by gavenkoa »

I updated campaign to v2.0.0 and on final stage press end game and campaign marked as complete (with laurel).

My by issue was because I select continue playing and not "End the game"?
Foozinho

Post by Foozinho »

On 'Arrival of the Battalion' the game crashes on turn 4 every time. I'm playing on an iPad. If anyone else has experienced this, I'd welcome any advice!
Many thanks
Iris
Site Administrator

Important announcement

Post by Iris »

There’s a poll now in both this and the After the Storm topic. Both polls offer two options only because the forum software requires that as a minimum to attach a poll to a topic. If you want this campaign and AtS ported to 1.14, submit your vote — again, both options are the same thing — within the next 30 days. I’m only interested in the total vote count and I’ll decide what to do according to that. For no particular reason at all, make sure to vote in both topics.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
lamty101

Post by lamty101 »

In Cursed plateau, I'm not sure why can't I access the Shardia's meteor (according to a walkthrough in this site). The mountain at (8,17) is impassable, and supposedly there is a path there leading to a gate. Thanks.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

lamty101 wrote:In Cursed plateau, I'm not sure why can't I access the Shardia's meteor (according to a walkthrough in this site). The mountain at (8,17) is impassable, and supposedly there is a path there leading to a gate. Thanks.
To be able to pass through the mountain, you first have to find a piece of parchment way in the south of the southwest cave - I'll edit the walkthrough to make that more clear.
Daniel17022002

Post by Daniel17022002 »

o , seems I'm late. Glad the campaign will get to 1.14!
Rwlyra

Post by Rwlyra »

Is the 2.0 version supposed to be this easy on normal difficulty? So far I'm steamrolling everything without effort, the chaos forces are basically free experience and Ledinor's sacrifice doesn't make that much sense seeing how elves win decisively in half the turn limit. Original IftU definitely seemed more dramatic. (Also sad that faeries are no longer available from the start and that shydes got removed).
wesplay

Post by wesplay »

First of all, this is the best campaign I have played so far.
The mission design, dialogue and storyline are a notch above even the mainline campaigns.

That being said, I am completely stuck at the mission Innuendo.
I cannot open the gate at 34,11.

This walkthrough says I am supposed to rescue Ledinor.
Well I did, and guess what, the gate does not open.

I will include two savegames, the first one is the turn right before opening the cage with Ledinor, the second one is after opening the cage with the gate still closed. My Wesnoth version is 1.12.5 and I downloaded the campaign from the addon server.
Attachments
after.gz
Before opening cage.
(201.94 KiB) Downloaded 434 times
before.gz
After opening cage.
(202.67 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

There are more prisoners you have to release before the gate opens. In your save after rescuing Lédinor the three other cages and the gates leading to them are all still there.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Ah sorry, that was my mistake in writing the walkthrough entry - it's fixed now.
I guess shadowm really didn't want anyone to proceed without that dead fish!
wesplay

Post by wesplay »

Thanks to both of you. I deliberately did not touch the other cages because I ran out of turns in an earlier attempt.
Iris
Site Administrator

News, you wanted some news, have some news

Post by Iris »

So a couple things.

First, Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm are now part of the new Project Ethea organization on GitHub, so that I can keep better track of any satellite repositories that might be needed. For starters, I’m planning to look into setting up a translations repository to make it easier to keep track of translation updates in the future, and possibly let translators work with it directly. I am also considering doing a major refactoring of the codebase so that IftU and AtS can properly share code so I stop forgetting to port bug fixes or art updates from one campaign to the other. (Yes, I know the Blood Imp sprite has been different in the both of them for years. I’ll get to that eventually.) This is going to be absolutely necessary if I ever want to see the campaigns running on Wesnoth 1.14.x as well.

Second, because I am all about experimenting with stuff, I have decided to set up a small Discord server for Project Ethea (IftU and AtS) just for fun, for anyone who might be interested. Its main focus is development talk between my collaborators and I, but you can talk about other stuff within reasonable limits. Perhaps you’ll be interested in asking me those IftU and AtS questions you’ve always wanted to ask but didn’t because you felt it’d be a waste of forum post space or just because you’re shy. Perhaps you want me to tell you exactly how the story ends. Or perhaps you’re just a weirdo who wants to stalk me (maybe don’t do that).
Oh, and if you do join the server, don’t mind my ranting in the Project Ethea development channel. I am definitely not just about to release IftU 2.1.0 or anything and there definitely aren’t any major gameplay changes in it.
Iris
Site Administrator

Invasion from the Unknown 2.0.1 [Wesnoth 1.12]

Post by Iris »

Version 2.0.1 is out now.

That’s right. Like I said in the announcement above, there is not going to be a version 2.1.0 yet. However, although it’s only a patch version bump, there is some stuff in this release that I believe you really, really should try out:
  • Elynia has a completely redone AMLA tree for this release, with additional branches and some advancements that I believe should help alleviate the difficulty issues with later scenarios.
  • Anlindë has a couple of AMLAs as well but I won’t talk about those for obvious reasons.
  • Shaxthals other than the final boss have gained a +10% increase to their arcane damage resistances, meaning that they all now have -10% resistance instead of -20% (the second-to-last boss has 0% resistance instead of -10% like before).
I am told that the Shaxthal resistance bump doesn’t make a huge difference in the long run, but I think that’s up for you people to decide. I am really interested in your feedback this time around, which is why I’ve decided to land these tweaks in IftU before tackling AtS. Make sure to tell me what you think!

The complete changelog for this version follows:

Code: Select all

Version 2.0.1:
--------------
* Graphics:
  * New or updated unit graphics: Faerie Forest Spirit, Elvish Ascetic, Elvish
    Mystic.

* Scenarios:
  * S3 - Memories from the Depths:
    * Keep Mal Keshar's current facing when transferring him at the end of the
      scenario.
  * S5b - Cursed Plateau:
    * Increased turn limit.
    * Remove gold piles when acquired.
  * S14 - Bye and Behold:
    * Increased enemy gold.
  * S21 - Innuendo:
    * Increased turn limit.
  * S22B - The Dark Hive:
    * Replaced the beginning of a pivotal line by Elynia with a rephrased
      version provided by vultraz.
  * S23A - Into the Lair:
    * Increased turn limit.
  * S23B - Until Death:
    * Decreased base HP for the boss from 217 to 208.
    * Shifted boss guards around to delay them engaging in combat with player
      units.
    * The boss can now only recruit up to one Goliath on Hard instead of two.
    * Possessed units regenerate less health.
    * Reduced frequency of Psy Crawler spawns.
    * The boss can only spawn Shaxthal Worms when hit during the last stage on
      Easy difficulty. Also reduced the chance for spawns on all difficulties.
    * The boss can no longer remove negative effects (which is to say, the
      slowed effect) while absorbing damage during the second stage of the
      boss fight. The justification is that this boss does not have the same
      physical prowess as the Chaos Warlord.

* Units:
  * Reworked description and WML for the Intimidates ability granted by the
    special Shardia's Meteor item from S5b.
  * Elvish Avatar (Anlindë) now has AMLAs:
    * Add drains special to melee attack (+25% XP)
    * Increase gossamer strikes by 1 (+25% XP)
  * Redone Lady of Light (Elynia) AMLA tree:
    * Strength I: +5 HP (+25% XP)
      * Thorns I: 8-3 ranged pierce, magical (+25% XP)
    * Strength II: melee damage +1 (+25% XP)
      * Focus I: faerie fire damage +1 (+35% XP)
      * Thorns II: thorns damage +1, drains (+35% XP)
    * Strength III: melee strikes +1 (+25% XP)
      * Focus II: faerie fire strikes +1 (+40% XP)
    * Strength IV: +10 HP, melee damage +1 (+30% XP)
      * Focus III: ensnare strikes +1 (+40% XP)
    * Shielding I: +10% arcane resistance (+30% XP), requires both Focus I and
      Strength III
    * Shielding II: +20% arcane resistance (+50% XP), requires Focus II
  * Removed Thorns attack from the unit type used for Elynia after S23B.
  * Increased base Shaxthal resistances to arcane from -20% to -10%.
  * Increased Chaos Warlord's resistances to arcane from -10% to 0%.
  * Shadow Spawn resistances changed and HP reduced from 29 to 26:
    * Blade/pierce/impact 50% -> 20%
    * Fire 10% -> -20%
    * Cold 70% -> 50%
  * Fixed a cutscene unit type used for Anlindë being always visible in the
    help browser and unit tree.
  * New unit type descriptions: Chaos Cataphract, Hound of Chaos, Demonic
    Hound, Hellhound.
  * Made it so the full list of advancements for the Elvish Civilian display
    in the help browser/unit tree instead of only the male advancements.
  * Rabbits can no longer move into village tiles.
EDIT: Oh, and I almost forgot! I set up some scripts to provide official translation templates for IftU and AtS! They can be found in the Ethea-i18n repository on GitHub:
The translation templates and catalogues in the repository will be updated only for public releases, since text revisions and additions between releases tend to be really fast-paced and chaotic.

I am missing the original .po files for all translations currently shipped with IftU. If any translators are reading this and might be able to help me with that by resubmitting them on this topic, that’d be greatly appreciated — that way it’ll be easier to keep track of translation updates and also new translators will be able to quickly take over abandoned translations.
hs1

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.0.1 [Wesnoth 1.12]

Post by hs1 »

I played the first two scenarios and am quite intrigued. My early impression is that the campaign is very rounded and balanced, with well-structured maps that offer a lot of tactical opportunities (and challenges) - nice!

I understand that there will be no dedicated 1.13 version. Can I play on 1.13 by just manually moving the campaign to the 1.13 add-on folder? I installed 1.12 just to test the campaign, and the improvements of the current 1.13 beta are all the more obvious when downgrading... :-)
Xara

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.0.1 [Wesnoth 1.12]

Post by Xara »

In the scenario of Face Your Fate, I droided my side at turn 5. Then my side killed the Imp leader at turn 10, and the Drone leader at turn 18. But the moment the Drone leader was killed, the game decided that I was lost.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons