Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.13.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Do you ever use the Episode II menu entry to launch the campaign?

Poll ended at August 6th, 2020, 4:21 am

Yes
8%
No
92%

Total votes: 12

Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.0 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by Iris »

Galas needs an AMLA tree for IftU proper, especially given the level of difficulty of the last few fights if you somehow end up without anyone able to slow units besides Elynia. I’ll probably make it so any advancements and items he has in IftU are carried over to AtS, but Elynia is a different case.
Spoiler:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Aren't there already two pickups that give slow (Shardia's meteor and that ice sword). I pretty much gave Galas all pickups except for a very few ones and he was pretty good that way.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Yes, but both are too easy to miss, especially Shardia’s Meteor — which is part of a branch that I reckon very few people ever choose, even.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Spoiler:
Sadaharu wrote: June 15th, 2018, 2:03 am Unless there's been a huuuge rework from the version available in BfW 1.12, I fail to see how somebody could level up Elynia's character that far
I can agree with that. I've amassed 'only' 3152 XP on Elynia, which is a far far cry from the needed amount.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Konrad2 wrote: June 15th, 2018, 7:41 am
Sadaharu wrote: June 15th, 2018, 2:03 am Unless there's been a huuuge rework from the version available in BfW 1.12, I fail to see how somebody could level up Elynia's character that far
I can agree with that. I've amassed 'only' 3152 XP on Elynia, which is a far far cry from the needed amount.
How about merging some upgrades then, so the exp cost isn't as ridiculous? (like instead of a +10% arcane res. AMLA and a +10% cold res. AMLA, how about a shielding I upgrade that combines both, and the New Shielding III AMLA becoming shielding II)

As for the AtS Elynia AMLAs, how about a "drains special on thorns, but -1 thorns damage" AMLA?
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

@Konrad2
Spoiler:
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

shadowm wrote: June 15th, 2018, 8:48 am
Spoiler:
Oops. Didn't even notice while playing. xD
That's a big minus for AtS too. ._.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Where/what *are* Shardia's meteor and the void armour?
shadowm wrote:Galas needs an AMLA tree for IftU proper, especially given the level of difficulty of the last few fights if you somehow end up without anyone able to slow units besides Elynia. I’ll probably make it so any advancements and items he has in IftU are carried over to AtS, but Elynia is a different case.
Nobody with ‘slow’ attacks besides Elynia? Given that it's an Elvish army I found that the best way to do it was to include two Shydes with the quick-resilient traits. Oh, and one of them had arcane ranged attacks (was that Shardia's meteor?).
shadowm wrote:
Spoiler:
Can't Elynia in AtS inherit any upgrades she has gained in IftU, just as the characters in Bad Moon Rising do from one episode to another or, indeed, as she does from Ep. 1 to Ep. 2 of IftU?
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Sadaharu wrote: June 16th, 2018, 3:39 amWhere/what *are* Shardia's meteor and the void armour?
Shardia's meteor is an awesome weapon that can be found after the desert scenario in episode1, if you take the branch that involves not engaging the bandits. It's pretty complicated to get so i recommend reading the walkthru on the wiki. Same for void armour.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Sadaharu wrote: June 16th, 2018, 3:39 am Where/what *are* Shardia's meteor and the void armour?
shadowm wrote:Galas needs an AMLA tree for IftU proper, especially given the level of difficulty of the last few fights if you somehow end up without anyone able to slow units besides Elynia. I’ll probably make it so any advancements and items he has in IftU are carried over to AtS, but Elynia is a different case.
Nobody with ‘slow’ attacks besides Elynia? Given that it's an Elvish army I found that the best way to do it was to include two Shydes with the quick-resilient traits. Oh, and one of them had arcane ranged attacks (was that Shardia's meteor?).
I usually go for either this or resilient+dextrous. But the problem with optional non-hero units is that a first-time player is likely to lose them and, without the power of hindsight, wind up in a situation where Elynia is the only unit able to slow people.
Spoiler:
Regarding Shardia’s Meteor, I honestly don’t find it that useful in the long term, although you people and nemaara seem to disagree so I guess I must be wrong somehow. 🤔

The void armour has a more complicated story but the bottomline is that it became nigh-unobtainable in Reconstruction (v2.0 release candidates and later) because I forgot it existed.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

shadowm wrote: June 16th, 2018, 5:49 amRegarding Shardia’s Meteor, I honestly don’t find it that useful in the long term, although you people and nemaara seem to disagree so I guess I must be wrong somehow.
Shardia's Meteor was pretty awesome, honestly. I had to jump through hoops to get it but having it with the void armour made it very easy to slow people without risk.
The void armour has a more complicated story but the bottomline is that it became nigh-unobtainable in Reconstruction (v2.0 release candidates and later) because I forgot it existed.
Yeah, i had problems with that. Even with the walkthru i had no idea what i was doing.
Zhou

Post by Zhou »

shadowm wrote: June 16th, 2018, 5:49 am Regarding Shardia’s Meteor, I honestly don’t find it that useful in the long term, although you people and nemaara seem to disagree so I guess I must be wrong somehow. 🤔
How good the item is really depends on play style I'd say. It's really good for aggressive/fast styles, since you can do some good damage and also limit retaliation a bit with the slow + fear aura. I honestly don't like it that much either, I prefer Shydes, since they are both much more reliable and ranged, even if they deal a lot less damage. I just like grinding the enemy out a lot more than running them over, because playing slow you can usually keep losses to a minimum.
BTIsaac wrote: June 16th, 2018, 8:37 am
Yeah, i had problems with that. Even with the walkthru i had no idea what i was doing.
That item is such a pain honestly. You almost have to get it, cause it's so good, but to do that you have to keep the Boss both alive and slowed while one of your units waddles through shallow water for 10 turns.
slightly confused
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Zhou wrote: June 16th, 2018, 9:43 am That item is such a pain honestly. You almost have to get it, cause it's so good, but to do that you have to keep the Boss both alive and slowed while one of your units waddles through shallow water for 10 turns.
You don't have to trigger the boss for that if i recall, and waddling takes less time if you also use a ghost (no backtracking once you reach the touchplate.
Zhou

Post by Zhou »

BTIsaac wrote: June 16th, 2018, 9:51 am
Zhou wrote: June 16th, 2018, 9:43 am That item is such a pain honestly. You almost have to get it, cause it's so good, but to do that you have to keep the Boss both alive and slowed while one of your units waddles through shallow water for 10 turns.
You don't have to trigger the boss for that if i recall, and waddling takes less time if you also use a ghost (no backtracking once you reach the touchplate.
Had no idea you could get it without triggering the boss, that's real handy. I use a ghost (shadow), but I usually take the armor with a fighter, which can only move 1 tile per turn, that's what I meant.
slightly confused
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Zhou wrote: June 16th, 2018, 11:02 am Had no idea you could get it without triggering the boss, that's real handy. I use a ghost (shadow), but I usually take the armor with a fighter, which can only move 1 tile per turn, that's what I meant.
Up till now I've always given it to Galas, who is a bit faster. But in light of Galas being unable to use the berserker potion (and the future possibilty of him being unable to use any items in IftU), I've already set my mind on giving it to a fighter as well. And giving every other item to that fighter too (e.g. the Ring of Swiftness).
Spoiler:
EDIT:
Does like anyone have any idea for:
- possible Galas AMLAs (or the kind of unit type that levels with different AMLAs (like Kaleh/Nym))
- possible Elynia AMLAs
Spoiler:
- possible Mal Keshar AMLAs

Who knows. Maybe we can throw together working ideas very fast that only need some adjustments or smth. xD