Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.13.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Do you ever use the Episode II menu entry to launch the campaign?

Poll ended at August 6th, 2020, 4:21 am

Yes
8%
No
92%

Total votes: 12

BTIsaac

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.0.1 [Wesnoth 1.12]

Post by BTIsaac »

Well you weren't supposed to do that anyway.
Spoiler:
Xara

Post by Xara »

BTIsaac wrote:Well you weren't supposed to do that anyway.
Spoiler:
Probably. I did it because I think the scenario was boring. Commanding a larger size of army than I'm comfortable with, with no challenge and no difference to make. Had I known the bug, I would have undroided my side in time. But that was abrupt.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Xara wrote:In the scenario of Face Your Fate, I droided my side at turn 5. Then my side killed the Imp leader at turn 10, and the Drone leader at turn 18. But the moment the Drone leader was killed, the game decided that I was lost.
Sounds like a bug in the game engine, because the only event in the scenario that forces a player defeat requires Anlindë to die. I feel like I’ve heard of this in a different context (not in my campaigns) before.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

this is actuall the expected 1.12 behaviour, as you said you droided your side so side 1 is now an ai side and when the game ends and there are only ai sides left it is a defeat unless the wml manually delcated a victory by [endlevel]. This behaviour was changed in 1.13.0 where the game engine now remembers that side 1 was originally a human side.

as a player you unfotnateley don't know whether a certain scenario uses the default victory or a custom endlevel, so ye your only 1.12. workaround is to undroid your side before the scneario ends.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Nice survey btw.
Try out the dark board theme.
Zolm

Post by Zolm »

Something I never remembered asking:

On scenario 3 (Memories from the depths) there is an event called "malin fight begin", and Anlindë uses an unnamed spell (which also has no actual effect, only a sound and a screen flash). Is this some unfinished event which went forgotten throughout the versions, and it was supposed to do something (HP damage, reducing his attacks/resistances/etc)?

And, regardless the answer above is yes/no, is this spell something important? I can`t remember no one referring to this later in the game.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Zolm wrote: March 1st, 2018, 4:27 amOn scenario 3 (Memories from the depths) there is an event called "malin fight begin", and Anlindë uses an unnamed spell (which also has no sctual effect, only a sound and a screen flash). Is this some unfinished event which went forgotten throghout the versions, and it was supposed to do something (HP damage, reducing his attacks/resistances/something?
The effect is not relevant for the gameplay. In-story it is the only reason the elves are able to defeat Mal Keshar, though. I decided against spelling it out and letting people figure out what it means by themselves.
Spoiler:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Does your lore and the Dragon Trilogy (+ Soldier of Wesnoth) conflict too much, or is it possible to weave them together for a more 'complete' history? Because it's all awesome.

EDIT:
I'm pretty sure it conflicts way too much, but it would be nice to be proven wrong there.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I don't know anything about the campaigns you mentioned, so I have no idea.

You could potentially tell me exactly what you feel might conflict and then I should be able to confirm.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

It's been some time since I've played it so I don't know the lore that good. Don't judge me..
Spoiler:
Last edited by Iris on March 15th, 2018, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added spoiler tags.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Well, that isn't very specific. It's hard to tell whether that is compatible or not with the IftU/AtS canon. Also, I don't even remember what the Rod of Justice is or where it came from other than the fact that it's featured in NR as an optional item -- so I've never really considered it relevant.

Although I can say this much:
AtS spoilers:
Ultimately you need to understand that I wrote my campaigns with only mainline lore in mind, and even then, while writing AtS I deliberately ignored some "recommendations" I got from a couple of mainline developers because I ultimately wanted to write a story of my own rather than someone else's. I can't guarantee that the campaigns' lore is compatible with any others unless other authors contact me directly to work with me on making that happen at either end (e.g. vultraz with Shadows of Deception and nemaara with Genesis, and long before them both Espreon with The Silver Lands).

It's a nice (and rare) sight when other people decide to board the Project Ethea canon bandwagon, but it's not a requirement I will impose on anyone, especially when it was my own decision to not allow my campaigns in mainline since I respect other people's artistic freedom as much as I expect mine to be respected, and I know there are several things in my canon that some (influential and otherwise) people strongly dislike.

Try to use spoiler tags next time btw.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

The Rod of Justice appears in Northern Rebirth, and from what I understood had story significance in the dark side path, whereas in the canon path it's more of a super powerup.
Spoiler:
But I have been thinking about a potential campaign I'd like to make that references both Project Ethea and the Dragon Trilogy. (Along with DiD and SotA).
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

I played dragon trilogy and yeah, it is pretty much impossible to make it compatible. It could be even that Dugi's loti is more compatible with ats.
Losthunter
Location: Well... I don´t know... maybe I should ask someone...?

Post by Losthunter »

Yes, story of Iftu and Ats is not compatible with the story of Dragon Trilogy: lot of major differnces - creation of Irdia, human nations, late history of Wesnoth (dynasties, advisors, kings, emperors and stuff like that). You can look on Future history of Wesnoth and Timeline of Dragon Trilogy.
Nothing that could be mixed... :|
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

ElderofZion wrote: March 16th, 2018, 8:56 am I played dragon trilogy and yeah, it is pretty much impossible to make it compatible. It could be even that Dugi's loti is more compatible with ats.
LotI is incompatible with both campaigns, just to clarify. I played enough of it to be able to pinpoint a few specific conflicting points, and there's also a lot of second-hand information I've been provided by other people about later chapters that further confirms this to be the case.

When Dugi reached out to me asking whether he could allude to Argan and Elynia to solve the Argan/Argan confusion in his campaign I didn't know any of this so I thought what he suggested was a reasonable approach. I would have had a different opinion if I had already known then what his plans for Mal Keshar, Uria, Yarae, and Inferno were.

(I'm just posting this here for clarification and for future reference, I don't want a debate on the subject of LotI vs. Project Ethea canon here.)