A Northern Village (SP Campaign for 1.12 and 1.14)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gloccusv

A Northern Village (SP Campaign for 1.12 and 1.14)

Post by gloccusv »

This is the feedback thread for A Northern Village, available on the 1.14 and 1.12 add on servers, which is complete and ready to play. Over 1,100 12,000 downloads for 1.12 so far! Version 2 has been uploaded to the 1.14 add on server, with no gameplay changes.

Any comment or advice will be gratefully received.

Can you save a peaceful village from certain destruction at the hands of a rampaging monster?

Your forces will include fencers, cavalrymen and unusual allies.

This is a very short intermediate level campaign which should take just 1 to 2 hours to play. 5 Scenarios, all with small maps, but three of them are exceedingly brief. I have tried to provide unusual, interesting and varied tactical challenges, with different victory conditions in nearly every scenario.

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Here is some background to how this campaign was created.
Spoiler:
Last edited by gloccusv on September 28th, 2018, 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Author of SP campaigns An Undead Incursion, A Beastly Tale and A Northern Village
and Asymmetric Widescreen theme for 1.12 & 1.14.
ZIM

Re: A Northern Village (SP Campaign for 1.12)

Post by ZIM »

I want to report a bug,
In every scenario,if I start over from beginning,Tarren and his sister disappears,that lead to defeat.
gloccusv

Post by gloccusv »

Thank you for playing!

I'm sorry it isn't working properly, but I can't reproduce the bug you mention.

Can you upload a save so that I can try to see what is going wrong? It would also be helpful to know what operating system and what version of BfW you are using.
Author of SP campaigns An Undead Incursion, A Beastly Tale and A Northern Village
ZIM

Post by ZIM »

Here is it,
I'm playing on Windows 7 and Bfw 1.13.1
Attachments
ANV-The_Mysterious_Necromancer.gz
(4.38 KiB) Downloaded 484 times
gloccusv

Post by gloccusv »

Thank you, ZIM. The short answer to why the campaign is not working is that it was written for 1.12, not 1.13. It shouldn't even be on the 1.13 server!

However, when I load the start of scenario save you provided, I don't get the same error as you. Tanner and Florin are there and I can even complete the scenario, although for some reason Lagwif doesn't appear due to his "type" attribute being missing.

I notice that you seem to be using Dugi's Move Units Between Campaigns mod and this or any other mod you are running might be affecting the game in some way I can not predict. The only thing I can suggest is to disable all mods (especially any "hardcore" mods if you have them) and try again to see whether it makes a difference. If that doesn't work, then I am afraid that I don't understand the changes between 1.12 and 1.13 well enough to be able to guess at what the problem is or how to fix it. In fact, since you're running the development version, you probably know more about it than I do.

I'm really sorry I couldn't fix the issue. If anyone with experience of 1.13 can shed any light on what is going on, then please let me know. Otherwise, I'm just not proficient enough to maintain a campaign for the development branch. I will update it to the next stable version, whenever that is released, but until then I'll be sticking with 1.12.
ZIM

Post by ZIM »

Oh,so that why...

The fact is,I don't know that Bfw 1.13.0 and later is development version...
When I want to download the newest version of Bfw,I ask help from other person.He downloaded me Bfw 1.13.1 :| .
Fortunately,I still have Bfw 1.12.2...
Anyway,I don't have any mods installed in my Bfw.
And,I manage to won the first scenario at turn 1.It is intended to be that easy?

(I didn't download your campaign from 1.13 server,I download it from 1.12 server and move it to my Bfw 1.13.1 add-ons directory...)
gloccusv

Post by gloccusv »

The first scenario is intended to be an easy introduction to the campaign, but I didn't think it was possible to win on turn 1. Would you mind uploading your replay so that I can see how you managed it?
Spoiler:
Thank you for playing and I hope you enjoy the rest of the campaign. It does get a bit harder later on, but not a lot harder. Frankly, if I can beat it, it can't be too difficult!
ZIM

Post by ZIM »

If I remember correctly,I hit Grudd with the red Mage with all of the fireballs and it die.Then,when I fight the troll Shaman with the duelist,he got an arcane sword and I manage to finish her with that.
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

Hello gloccusv,
Just wanted to say I really enjoyed your campaign. It was short and sweet which was somewhat refreshing. Also, I really liked your tiny maps. I played on 1.12.5, on easy level. I just wanted to post some general data of my play-through. I don't know if it helps or not. I also found a few bugs.
Scenario 1
Start gold 0g
Finished turn 5/7, with 0g
No early finish bonus
No gold carryover
Recruited 0
Lost 0
Killed 1 Troll, 1 Troll Shaman, total 61g

Comments: Killed both trolls pretty easily.
Bug report: The Peasant's Wife unit image does not show. Before:
You need image="units/farmer_girl.png" in the unit cfg file. After:
Scenario 2
Start gold 50g
Finished turn 2, with 21g
No early finish bonus
Carryover 40%, total 8 on top of minimum of next scenario
Recruited 2 Calvryman, total 34g
Lost 0
Killed 1 Skeleton, total 15g

Comments: I just ambushed the nacromancer with Florin and Groat and was able to hit him on second turn. I didn't have to worry about the skeletons too much.
Scenario 3
Start gold 58g
Finished turn 4/18, with 5g
Early finish bonus 14 per turn, total bonus 70
Carryover 40%, total 30 on top of minimum of next scenario
Recalled 1 Calvryman, total 17g
Lost 0
Killed 1 Orc Archer, 1 Orc Assassin, 1 Orc Grunt, 1 Orc Ruler, total 92g

Comments: I played this scernario really aggresive. I moved Tanner across the ford and the Orc Ruler came out and attacked. The next turn I surrounded and kill him on Turn 2. Then just mopped up the rest of the orcs. The elves in the forest held their own.
Scenario 4
Start gold 180g
Finished turn ? (could not finish scenario because of bug).

Comment: I killed the drakes with no problem, but couldn't continue from there (see below bug).
Bug report: When I move one of my units to 7,9 nothing happens. You cannot get past the impassable mountains to get to the Nacromancer. Unless I missed something...
Scenario 5
Start gold 70g
Finished turn 3, with 50g
No early finish
No carryover
Recalled 0
Lost 1 Calvryman, total 17g
Killed 1 Fire Dragon, total 100g

Comment: This was a pretty easy scenario.
Overall, I really liked the campaign. It was well written. But maybe a little too easy (but I did play on easy level, so what did I expect ;) )
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic
gloccusv

Post by gloccusv »

Thank you for playing, and even more so for taking the time to leave a message. I'm glad you liked it and your comments are extremely helpful. I intended the campaign to be very quick and quite easy, but I have to admit that when testing I did lose a couple of times, even on the easiest setting, which probably says more about my (lack of) skill as a player than the level of difficulty.

I have just updated BfW to 1.12.5 and played through again on easy and the farmer's wife does show up on my computer using the existing image path, so there is something strange going on. However, I shall upload a new version with the image path fixed so that she will hopefully appear for everyone. Thank you very much for spotting this and working out the fix.

Regarding scenario 4, I can't reproduce your bug on my system. If you still have a save file (preferably from after you move a unit to 7,9), could you upload it here so that I can see the problem? Also, could you tell me the operating system on your computer, just in case that is making a difference.
Spoiler:
Thank you once again.
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

gloccusv, thanks for the reply. Regarding the scenario 4 bug, it was a false report. It actually works fine, I just misunderstood what I had to do. Now I will play through again on challenging and hope to post more feedback. Thanks again.

Edit: Below is my feedback on challenging difficulty (keep in mind I'm not the greatest player). Please note I'm referencing this 1-10 difficulty scale.
Spoiler:
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic
gloccusv

Post by gloccusv »

Thank you very much for such useful and extensive feedback. It's exactly what I need to improve the next version of the campaign.
Spoiler:
I want to test a few things before uploading the new version, but I hope to have it done within a week. Thanks again for your praise and support. I'm about four scenarios into Rally for Roanic at the moment and really enjoying it so I'll let you know how it goes when I finish.

EDIT: The new version has been uploaded to the 1.12 add-on server.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Joyful, yet somewhat easy campaign. Played highest difficulty, but don't think it makes much of a difference (is it even worth it having 3 different difficulties to choose from, when they are so similar in difficulty?). Scenario 2 could use reduced edge spawns. They add little (but animation time in the end) and the scenario becomes impossible easily if by any chance the route to the necromancer is closed even for skirmishers. Scenario 4, levelled Lagwif and a cav to L2 and Tanner to L3. He is so overpowered at that point, that he defeated enemy leader twice almost on his own. Can easily go wrong if you open the tunnel at the wrong time of day, though. The drakes are easy to handle when they are limited to their castle rapidly. Scenario 5 was inevitably easy (with 2 recruited cavs). Intro dialog would look better with full size portraits shown directly above the text, maybe one left one right, not with a floating half portrait.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
kjn

Post by kjn »

Liked the campaign - the limited scope (both in length and in map size) meant it became less of a slugfest than most campaigns.

That said, scenario 4 did turn into a slugfest, where I tried to attrite the skeletons. I even tried to put a unit on the skeleton spawning hex to the northwest, but then the skeletons just spawned from another hex :doh:

In the end, I won when I put a unit (more or less by mistake) where the necromant could reach it, and I could surround first the necromant and then the lich. I had quite the collection of duellants at the time.

I found the cavalry to be somewhat worthless in this campaign - I could do with the starting units for most scenarios, and in scenario 4 I recruited oodles of fencers.
Jabie

Post by Jabie »

Just played it.

Scenario 2 was a bit of a head-scratcher and took about 3 or 4 tries. If you reach turn 4 you're probably overwhelmed by undead and toast.
Spoiler:
Scenario 3. I don't mind ally leaders summoning troops as they see fit, but if the goal is for them to survive, they should always be set to maximum caution - which generally means not engaging the enemy unless absolutely necessary. No ifs, no buts. If the player can't control the ally, the ally should at least avoid any suicidal moves. I was playing on Easy and despite leaping into the fray, the NPC survived. On a harder level she might easily have been killed regardless of what the player does.

Scenario 4. I lost both Lagwif and Groat in this one. Admittedly I was tired and probably a little too aggressive. I've got a feeling that the teleportation is going to cause you a lot of bugs. I'd just change it to a 2x2 tunnel behind the throne.
Spoiler:
Scenario 5. The end is a bit of a downer.
Spoiler: