Alariel's Journey: A Faerie Tale 1.0.2 (SP for 1.12)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

FaeLord

Alariel's Journey: A Faerie Tale 1.0.2 (SP for 1.12)

Post by FaeLord »

Alariels Journey.png
Alariels Journey.png (22.61 KiB) Viewed 9692 times
Intro:
Alariel, last of the ellyllon, must obtain the light of a fallen star from the Land of Eternal Night to save the Enchanted Forest. Part Princess Bride, part Stardust, and all Wesnoth. You don't gotta like it, you just gotta play it! Available now!

Scenario Features:
+ Single player campaign with 14 playable scenarios
+ Four player characters each with 4-5 possible levels of advancement
+ Wide variety of custom enemies
+ Good balance between story and strategy / action
+ Original art by Kimirra http://kimir-ra.deviantart.com/

Notes:
This is not a terribly difficult campaign. It should be fine for beginners. I would suggest that more experienced players just go ahead and run it on Hard.

Bugs:
Please report any bugs that you encounter to this thread. I will need the exact text of the error if possible and what difficulty level you were playing on.

Save Files & Replays:
If you'd like to help improve future versions of the campaign, please send me your save and replay files by PM, along with info on what difficulty you are playing on.

Changelog:
Version 1.0.1
+ Fixed bug that was causing game to crash for some Windows users.
+ Fixed the Bramble Cat unit tree units attack icons.
+ Changed Evernight icon.
+ Adjusted maze monsters routine so it generates more monsters in the labyrinth!
+ :twisted:

Version 1.0.2
+ Fixed minor bug in _main.cfg.
+ Renamed the campaign icon image so it plays nice with other campaigns.
+ Nothing earth shattering or that actually affects gameplay, I know.
Last edited by FaeLord on November 18th, 2015, 12:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wesnoth stole my summer . . . again.
Raijer

Re: Alariel's Journey: A Faerie Tale (SP 1.12)

Post by Raijer »

Well, it is easy, but it's quite good, though you could make the maze part a tiny bit different, as more "maze-like". I played it on normal, and they're were no dead ends, all roads lead where I was supposed to go (except one in the last quarter, but that isn't much), making the map a little bigger to make a real maze could be fun. Out of that, nothing to say really. No bug, a fun story, a good variety of scenarios, it's really good.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Hey Raijer:

Thanks for giving the campaign a run. Originally the maze had more dead ends, but that resulted in the maze monsters not being able to maneuver very well at all, so I changed it. You're right, it would take a complete redesign to put more dead ends in. Glad you liked it.

FaeLord
sreesreearul

Post by sreesreearul »

Nice and simple. I played in normal. Didn't find any bug.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Cool. Thanks, sreesreearul.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

hey, just started playing. in the third scenario I get this message after the dialogue.
The whole scenario is weird after that, I get attacked by an invisble troll or something? :O
Attachments
Unbenannt.jpg
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Thanks Paulomat. The error mentions the translations folder, which is odd because there's nothing in that folder. Anyhow, if you can let me know what difficulty level you were on and what OS you are using, I'll check in on the tech support forum to see what the cause might be. BTW, I used something from The Rising in this campaign. Don't remeber what exactly, but I know it's mentioned in the credits.

Invisible troll, eh? I'll have to keep that in mind for the future.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

I was playing on wesnoth 1.12.4 on windows 7.
I guess I was playing on easy.

Oh, no problem :) it's open source after all
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
tekanji

Post by tekanji »

The bug that Paulomat4 mentioned causes a fatal error for me that crashes the game on load, even if I uninstall and reinstall it (I'm running 1.12.4). While the error message mentions the translation folder, I am rather sure that the problem is the "invalid or unsupported charset: UTF-8". I say this because my Windows 7 OS is in Japanese (which requires UTF-8 support) and even though I run Battle for Wesnoth in English, it still appears to have some underlying dependencies on the OS language--which would explain why Paulomat4 got just the error message, but I got a game-breaking crash.

I should note that I got the crash bug in two separate instances: once right after downloading the add-on when I clicked on the "preferences" button, and once right after the introduction part of the campaign (I was playing on novice level).

I was really looking forward to playing this campaign, so if you could fix the problem I'd very much appreciate it.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

tekanji:

MF! Blarg! Sorry to hear it. I am posting to tech support now.

-=FL=-
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Quick note to all: I'm working to get the bug fixed. Should not be long now.
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

Hi, at the beginning of the troll bridge scenario on easy, they were a lua error msg, and I couldn't copy it. I can't move the map.
FaeLord

Re: Alariel's Journey: A Faerie Tale 1.0.1 (SP for 1.12)

Post by FaeLord »

Version 1.0.1 uploaded.
+ Fixed bug that was causing game to crash for some Windows users.
+ Fixed the Bramble Cat unit tree units attack icons.
+ Changed Evernight icon.
+ Adjusted maze monsters routine so it generates more monsters in the labyrinth!
+ :twisted:
Palatin

Post by Palatin »

I played this campaign over the weekend and I liked it very much.

Here is some feedback:
- artwork and maps are excellent
- I liked the characters, especially that Alariel is a classic heroine of the good side
- the story is OK and the humor was great.
Spoiler:
- the scenarios have a good variety and I found them challenging. I played on the hardest difficulty and I would classify myself as an experienced player (although there are certainly people better than me). However, the scenarios where you fight an enemy boss who can recruit had all the same pattern: The enemy boss recruits a wave off units, you defeat that wave and go in for the kill without resistance. That's OK, but it would be better if the enemy boss had something to throw at you after the first wave. Maybe consider giving them extra gold after serveral turns or have them call in reinforcements when the player approaches the castle with the boss.
- a litte complaint:
Spoiler:
Overall I think it is a classic lighthearted fantasy adventure. This is Battle for Wesnoth how it should be. I enjoyed playing the campaign and I think I will replay it in the future. Thanks and salutes to everyone involved!
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Hey Palatin:

Thanks for the comments. I got your save files too and I'll take a look at them when I have a moment. Alariel's Journey is supposed to be a very straight forward campaign. My previous campaign, The Amaranthine Stone, is designed exactly as you suggested in your post here. You might want to give that a try. For Alariel's Journey, I wanted relatively small maps and quick battles to keep the pace up. Although, I could make some further changes to increase the challenge for those playing on Hard. I'll definitely keep it in mind for future versions.

As far as the end discussion between Valmaryx and Alariel; I included it as an optional epilogue after everything else precisely because it doesn't fit the story exactly, and is more of a humorous adjunct. Thanks again for sending those save files!

-=FL=-