Alariel's Journey: A Faerie Tale 1.0.2 (SP for 1.12)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Alariel's Journey: A Faerie Tale 1.0.1 (SP for 1.12)

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hey FaeLord!
Finally got to finish this campaign.
I love it! wonderful story, wonderful maps and really nice characters.
One thing I noticed: The dark forest witch has no attack icon for her melee attack.
there was something else, but I can#t remember it so it wasn't really important. :doh:
keep up the good work!
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Hey Paulomat4:

Thanks for the feedback. I've noticed that some of the attack icons for certain units have suddenly and mysteriously gone missing. I'll get those corrected when I have a moment. I'm traveling right now so things are kind of hectic. Glad you enjoyed the campaign.

-=FL=-
Wesnoth stole my summer . . . again.
CannonFodder

Post by CannonFodder »

I guess some praise is due here. I got one of the best stories in this campaign, absolutely hilarious, really, sometimes I was crying laughing at the events unfolding. Especially when someone started bragging about some lamp exchange business (got it) and, turns out, also waving around a nice red fruit ripe for tasting. Some of the twisted personalities were certainly epic, truly great!

Gameplay-wise it is good, but not that exceptional, although it progresses fast without frustratingly long battles, which is definitely nice: just the right amount of troops on the field to make it interesting, with strict time limits requiring good overall planning to finish. The not that exceptional is the slight repetitiveness, one wave of enemies, which when disposed, usually victory was only a matter of whether time was managed right or not. The many ambush situations were nice though, something unexpected was always bound to happen (but usually explored on the first half of the battles). It also felt well balanced as it was, so just a minor gimmick. The grand finale however felt being a gamble of luck no matter what, that teleporting regenerating beast... I was lucky though, but barely made it for the first try. Maybe after a few failures it is possible to devise some strategic approach there to make it a win by planning, and it just didn't tick in for me.

Graphically it was nice, I liked most of the map designs, although the very first map of the Enchanted Forest felt a bit blank (almost suggesting that this would be just a moderate quality campaign, well, until the story started to unfold), maybe Hamfast's Holdfast also had larger open plain than pleasant (add some farmland, maybe?). Just some impressions, otherwise the maps conveyed well the atmosphere.

The music selection was interesting, nice for a change, fitting quite well for the tale. My only problem was that I already have all the UMC music books downloaded, yet I had to fetch yet another 80 megs through my sloppy network connection, for most part adding musics which I already had (I like to listen those even out of the game). Maybe this is a rather general problem needing some solution elsewhere, just noting that it exists.

Otherwise in general the unique elements of this campaign were designed well, without gimmicks, I never noticed anything really breaking in some manner, maybe some attack icon somewhere was missing, but that was all. Maybe the last teleportation in the labyrinth should be fixed in some more pleasant manner than telling the player to move the units away (Couldn't they be moved and locked in place there once teleported? It didn't seem like they were supposed to be brought back in play once passing that gate), but of course that minor gimmick wasn't the end of the world.

By the way I use Linux, just noting that apparently things work right here (I had seen campaigns whose file names I had to fix, obviously never tested before on Linux with its case sensitive file names).

So all in all, I experienced something great here! Keep up good work, it is amazing how nice things can come out of this game :)
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Hey Cannon Fodder (great username BTW):

Thanks for the feedback. I'm always very happy when players take the time to post. You're not the first to mention the single wave of enemies thing. I will likely change that in the future, at least for those playing on Hard. It was my intention to keep the battles pretty simple and short for reasons of pacing. I will fix the last teleportation thing at some point for sure also. At the time, I couldn't get it to work the way I wanted it to, so I used the half-assed work around just to get it done.

As for the music, I don't know a way around that as not everyone has downloaded all the UMC music packs (and there are a lot of them). As well, pretty much all of the cuts used in Alariel's Journey have been attenuated and balanced (volume-wise) by me using Audacity, so they're not actually the versions you would get from the UMC packs anyway. Those that I adjusted also have different filenames from those in the UMC packs.

It's great to hear that you got both the humor and the faerie tale references in the story. I sometimes wonder if anyone else has, or if perhaps, it's just not very funny. Although, like yourself, I was often laughing myself to tears while writing and play testing it.

Thanks again for the feedback, and I'm glad you liked the campaign!

-=FL=-
taptap

Re: Alariel's Journey: A Faerie Tale 1.0.2 (SP for 1.12)

Post by taptap »

I like the campaign so far (looking for the labyrinth entrance currently). So different in tone to most of Wesnoth, your dialogues make me smile.

Some friendly and enemy units behave surprisingly and it is not clear from descriptions, what they do. Spirit wisps seem to have no zone of control (although listed as L1) and the custom undead seem to be skirmishing, but then it could be friendly units I counted on lacked zone of control as well. This made crossing the plains to the first dragon surprisingly difficult as the undead beelined for loyals.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Hi tap tap:

Yes, the wisps don't get zoc until level 3 I believe. That was to help balance them out, as their movement and attacks are pretty powerful. Glad you like the story / dialogue, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the campaign. Thanks for commenting.

-=FL=-
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

Man, if only the so–called mainline campaigns were as likeable as this one.
The characters were cute (well, those that were meant to be) and memorable. The music was beautiful — especially during the intro, which reminded me of a planetarium show. Excellent composition there!
Although I'm sure there are some people who thought Alariel's character was hackneyedly girlish, I don't think it was too exaggerated and I could accept it as part of her personality. Okay, maybe there were some times when I almost slapped my face — but I wouldn't change it. It's cute, not annoying. Well done, and not an easy task to balance that line.

Here are some of my contributions.

If you don't have GIMP, then let me know so that I can convert the images.

§1
images/
Some miniscule blemishes in story/02_story_neera, story/03_story_roald, and units/monsters/bodach were corrected.
I slid portraits/mountainlion down to the bottom of frame so it didn't appear so clipped.
Alariel's Journey edits.rar
(366.48 KiB) Downloaded 381 times
§2
I was also going to work on the Tethra and Brooah portraits, especially the versions used for the intro, but I think I'd better research the sources first. Maybe Kimir-Ra will be willing to offer up her originals?
portraits/brooah portraits/rivergod
• the left side is clipped
• the bottom shouldn't have a straight edge framing it, but should feature a _ to an image of _
portraits/brooah
loose fade —— the ground about his rootfeet.
portraits/rivergod
tight fade —— a broad, watery volval cup, with very small indication, if any, of a surface between water and air.
§3
I corrected or changed a few minor things in these text data:

Code: Select all

diff -r "Alariel's Journey original/scenarios/aj_06_thefrogprince.cfg" "Alariel's Journey/scenarios/aj_06_thefrogprince.cfg"
203c203
<     		message=_ "Boil, boil, toil and trouble. Cauldron burn and cauldron bubble."
---
>     		message=_ "Boil, boil, toil and trouble. Fire burn and cauldron bubble."
diff -r "Alariel's Journey original/scenarios/aj_10_thelabyrinth.cfg" "Alariel's Journey/scenarios/aj_10_thelabyrinth.cfg"
789c789
<     						message=_ "And what good is the world of a <span font-style='italic'>thief</span>?"
---
>     						message=_ "And what good is the word of a <span font-style='italic'>thief</span>?"
983c983
<     						message=_ " Klob lie to friend Alariel. Klob sorry."
---
>     						message=_ "Klob lie to friend Alariel. Klob sorry."
987c987
<     						message=_ " Klob not kill travelers because Klob lonely. Klob kill travelers because Klob troll and troll bad."
---
>     						message=_ "Klob not kill travelers because Klob lonely. Klob kill travelers because Klob troll and troll bad."
diff -r "Alariel's Journey original/scenarios/aj_12_crywerewolf.cfg" "Alariel's Journey/scenarios/aj_12_crywerewolf.cfg"
407c407
<     	{NAMED_LOYAL_UNIT 2 (aj_werewolf_nightstalker) 23 6 (W_Quick_Jack) ( _ "Quick_Jack")}
---
>     	{NAMED_LOYAL_UNIT 2 (aj_werewolf_nightstalker) 23 6 (W_Quick_Jack) ( _ "Quick Jack")}
§4
I'll do voices for this one. It has enough characterization and story, I think, so as to warrant them. Are you interested, or should I post that content on its own?
• Grindle
• Klob
• Almaryx
• Almaryx's spectral emissary
• Valmaryx

§5
What follows is a mess of errors and comments. Ignore this if you like; I'm merely proffering it here if you want to look at any of these sooner than when I do.
stdout stuff
20161014 02:46:53 error audio: Could not load sound file 'thorns-miss-1.ogg'.

20161014 02:31:49 error display: could not open image 'terrain/misc/flames-A01.png'

20161014 01:44:07 error display: could not open image 'units/monsters/giant-mudcrawler-attack.png'

20161015 03:35:46 error display: could not open image 'units/elementals/arcaneorb-1.png'

20161014 01:47:25 error display: could not open image 'misc/blank_72x72.png-top.png'
20161014 01:47:25 error display: could not open image 'misc/blank_72x72.png-bottom.png'

20161014 01:03:20 error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-nozoc-nozoc-top.png'
20161014 01:03:20 error display: could not open image 'misc/ellipse-nozoc-nozoc-bottom.png'

20161014 01:12:03 warning engine: Could not find move_unit_fake route from 1,3 to 1,1: ignoring complexities
20161014 01:29:34 warning engine: Could not find move_unit_fake route from 1,4 to 1,1: ignoring complexities
20161014 01:29:58 error engine: failed to auto-store $second_unit at (2,4)
20161014 01:29:58 warning engine: variable_info: retrieving member of non-existent WML container, second_unit.id
20161014 01:29:58 warning engine: variable_info: retrieving member of non-existent WML container, second_unit.id

20161014 22:44:53 warning unit: Unknown attribute 'advances_from' discarded.
20161014 23:28:27 warning unit: unknown unit in advances_to list of type aj_fae_sprite: Faerie
Dark Forest
20161015 00:22:57 error display: could not open image 'terrain/furniture/barrel.png'
20161015 00:22:57 error display: could not open image 'terrain/../terrain/scenery/y5.png'
20161015 00:22:57 error display: could not open image 'terrain/../terrain/scenery/y9.png'
20161015 00:22:57 error display: could not open image 'terrain/furniture/armorrack.png'
20161015 00:22:57 error display: could not open image 'terrain/furniture/weaponrack.png'
20161015 00:22:57 error display: could not open image 'terrain/furniture/flaskrack.png'
20161015 00:22:57 error display: could not open image 'terrain/furniture/roundtableandchair.png'
20161015 00:22:57 error display: could not open image 'terrain/furniture/potatobox.png'
20161015 00:22:57 error display: could not open image 'terrain/furniture/bookcase.png'
20161015 00:22:57 error display: could not open image 'terrain/furniture/table3.png'
20161015 00:22:57 error display: could not open image 'terrain/furniture/box.png'
20161015 00:22:57 error display: could not open image 'terrain/../terrain/scenery/y4.png'
20161015 00:22:57 error display: could not open image 'terrain/../terrain/scenery/y10.png'
20161015 00:22:57 error display: could not open image 'terrain/furniture/chest-closed-se.png'
20161015 00:22:57 error display: could not open image 'terrain/furniture/bookcase-and-stuff.png'
20161015 00:22:57 error display: could not open image 'terrain/furniture/redcarpet-se.png'
20161015 00:22:57 error display: could not open image 'terrain/furniture/redcarpet-sw.png'
20161015 00:22:57 error display: could not open image 'terrain/furniture/cornbox.png'
20161015 00:22:57 error display: could not open image 'terrain/furniture/pot.png'
20161015 00:22:57 error display: could not open image 'terrain/furniture/pot2.png'
Hamfast's Holdfast
Invalid WML found: replace_map: Cannot add a unit that would become off-map to the recall list (2)
?
other comments
the failure–by–death–of–Grindle end to chapter 2 is rather non sequitur. how does she know that Grindle's death dooms her entire quest to failure?
indeed, it happens that way for each sursequent scenario. also with Klob.
branch it! or, include some description of the mythic hero's quest and the necessary companions.

wait, so if Klob does that killing–blow thing when he is killed, and he advances a power level as result, why does the Failure sequence continue? not regarding the technical aspect, but the story one.

why not make it so Alariel can recruit anywhere on trees?
tricky, but it could be done with a lot of scripting.

• gaining a Moonflower prevents End Turn from occuring during such a call.
• it would be neat if Moonflowers were continuously blooming — not all were available for collection when you begin — and you needed to also prevent the witches' minions from gathering them. alas, it is rather small for that.
• the scene with the witch is a tad disappointing. “Minions, kill her!” and yet nothing new springs forth. she starts with plenty of gold, but her boggarts aren't strategic with capturing villages.
• and anyways, at the medial difficulty, the witch far too easy to defeat. only lvl2?

• i would like that it shuffled the sequence of teleporter pads, but i doubt that it does.
• curiously, the Maze Monsters will de-activate any planning mode attack made along with a movement. you can only attack in a distinct command.
hmm. watch the victorious replay. at turn 34 a planning mode move–then–attack works on that Lurking Stalker.
• is that somehow related to the fact that End Turn only performs a single next action rather than all queued actions?
maybe those two are more the fact that monsters with the nightstalk attribute are wandering about.
• the Slith do not retreat? probably all the Maze Monsters do this.
question is: is that designed behavior, or is this an a.i. flaw or glitch?
no, the Demon Dogs or whatever will do so. so do the Slith. seems that they are much more likely to do so when other Maze Monsters are nearby.
but they all are also not very aggressive sometimes.
• really ought to feature fog.
• what if there were items to be discovered laying around?
• hmm. see to
debug/AlarJour-The_Labyrinth-Auto-Save35.gz
previously, i had thought that the Lurking Stalker vanished when i didn't attack it. however, i replayed that and discovered that it vanishes anyway.
seems like it clears that area in preparation for the final teleporter. also, no monsters spawn from that region's red rune.
• why doesn't the dragon chamber place arrivals from the blue teleporter like all the other red destination tiles do? the author even needed to feature that obtrusive warning to that effect.
what if a new arrival can't move off the destination pad? you need to wait a whole turn. well, not like there is any combat there or anything.

certain scenarios lack opportunity to save replay.
this is where access to the Menu during a narrative sequence, other than using Escape key, would be useful.
furthermore, the way that it avoids the opportunity also prevents the automatic function from saving a replay.
Last edited by Can-ned_Food on March 1st, 2018, 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Hey Can-ned_Food:

Thanks for the post. I've downloaded the images and will take a look at them. I'm currently working on the sequel to one of my other campaigns, The Amaranthine Stone, so most of the stuff you mentioned will have to wait until I have time to get to it. However, I do intend to debug all my campaigns before they go up on the 1.14 server, whenever that becomes available.

I've not considered using voice acting at all in any of my campaigns, although I will be using some small vocal segments in the sequel to The Amaranthine Stone. This is primarily because of the enormous amount of additional programming that would be required to retrofit voice .oggs into the existing code, not to mentions the difficulty in getting it all recorded.

In the 1.14 version of Alariel's Journey, I will definitely be making some modifications to difficulty and combat, as this has been brought up several times by other players. I designed the fights to be quick and not overly difficult, but as so many Wesnoth players are into the combat challenge, I will make adjustments to accommodate this.

As an aside, the only Kimmira portrait in Alariel's Journey is Alariel herself. Everything else comes from mainline or user made campaigns, etc.

I'm glad you liked the campaign. Honestly, Alariel's Journey has not done as well as I thought it would, so I'm always happy when someone who's played it takes the time to post.

FaeLord
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

FaeLord wrote:I'm glad you liked the campaign. Honestly, Alariel's Journey has not done as well as I thought it would, so I'm always happy when someone who's played it takes the time to post.

FaeLord
Personally speaking i felt that Alariels Journey was like a lesser version of the Amaranthine Stone. I don't imply that it is bad, far from it, it is a very well made campaign but Amaranthine Stone surpasses it in every way. This is probably because I played TAS first and after finishing it, i played Alariels Journey...
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Alariel's Journey is different in every way from The Amaranthine Stone by design. Alariel's Journey was really just a personal experiment to see if I could tell a faerie tale within the Wesnoth format. That I find the story of Alariel's Journey to be far better than that of TAS is probably just personal bias. Not that I don't love TAS. I do, and I'm currently working on the sequel to it. I've played TAS myself quite a few times, from start to finish, just for the fun of it. In fact, I did so last about three weeks ago on my day off.

Alariel's Journey hasn't exactly fallen flat on its face. It even got a few votes in that contest thing that was held back in 2015, which I was surprised to see. At that the time that I released it, I thought it would do better than it has. However, I do plan on a re-working of Alariel's Journey after I finish the TAS sequel. I will address some of the issues brought up in this forum, and hopefully, that will provide a more challenging experience to the players.

Thanks for your comments!
-=FL=-
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

I feel like i should clarify my previous statement a bit. Now that i have done some thinking, i feel that the reason i said that AJ:AFT is a lesser version of TAS is because though there are some story and gameplay similiarites between the two, ( the MC goes on a mission to save the world, some heroes join him/her, very high level hero units, awesome music and artwork everywhere etc..) Alariels journey feels somewhat light-hearted and a tad childish ? perhaps compared to TAS. Of course it's what a Faerie tale should be like. But, personally i prefer stories with that dark atmosphere... where u can see the impending doom , the world coming to an end.. and really feel the heroes fighting desperately against all odds even though their situation seems kinda hopeless. Probably thats why i think IftU, AtS and The Dragon Trilogy are the best campaign stories around. :hmm: Basically that EPIC feel is missing in alariels journey but i did get the feeling in TAS what with the otherworldly enemies in the final scenarios and all..
Not that I don't love TAS. I do, and I'm currently working on the sequel to it.
Great news!! I wish u the best of luck for this endeavor and i am looking forward to how the sequel will turn out. I did vote TAS as one of the best UMC campaigns in the recent poll, so i have to say my expectations are quite high :D No Pressure though. Your campaigns have a unique level of quality that i admire and enjoy and i am certain that the sequel will hold true to that level.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Yeah, Alariel's Journey was very much intended to be light hearted and whimsical. Alariel's journey was created around several very focused themes, visually, musically, and story-wise. This is why it lacks the epic feel. Conversely, I specifically wanted TAS to be as epic as possible.

If you like the impending doom, world coming to an end, heroic last stand stuff, then you'll like the sequel to TAS, which will be called The World Seed, as these are very much central themes in the story. There will be a third and final installment to the TAS series thereafter called The Isle of Twilight. I will begin work on the third part immediately after the release of The World Seed. Elithiel is, by far, my favorite character and I have always intended on completing her tale.

Personally, I couldn't get into After the Storm, but I haven't played the other two that you mention. I will give them a try though, as I like that kind of stuff myself. I'm a big story guy, and the lack of even passable rudimentary story telling is a big part of the reason that I don't play most campaigns beyond the first two or three scenarios.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

FaeLord wrote:If you like the impending doom, world coming to an end, heroic last stand stuff, then you'll like the sequel to TAS, which will be called The World Seed, as these are very much central themes in the story. There will be a third and final installment to the TAS series thereafter called The Isle of Twilight. I will begin work on the third part immediately after the release of The World Seed. Elithiel is, by far, my favorite character and I have always intended on completing her tale.
Oh, how i wish i had a time machine.... I would just fast forward to the future when the trilogy is done and play it from start to last *sigh* .. The names of the chapters are Epic enough hahaha
FaeLord wrote:Personally, I couldn't get into After the Storm, but I haven't played the other two that you mention. I will give them a try though, as I like that kind of stuff myself. I'm a big story guy, and the lack of even passable rudimentary story telling is a big part of the reason that I don't play most campaigns beyond the first two or three scenarios.
After the Storm is the sequel of Invasion From the Unknown, both created by ShadowM. The Dragon Trilogy is the work of Revansurik ( who is like a professional writer in RL ) and consists of A Song of Fire, War of The Jewel and Aria of the Dragon Slayer. All these campaigns have stellar storytelling, dialogue and character interactions. I too am a big fan of story- ordinarily i don't really care how awesome gameplay a campaign has, if the story sucks then i'm outta here ;) These campaigns are very large and time consuming though so i suppose you should check them out later when u are not as busy
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Yeah, it will have to be later, but the Dragon Trilogy has been recommended to me more than once, so I'll give that a run for sure.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Hey FaeLord,

thanks for this awesome campaign! I had a great evening playing through this lighthearted, playful fairy tail (I played on easy to just enjoy the story)! Especially the humour worked really well for me, I had some good chuckles. This might be the best story telling I encountered in Wesnoth so far, as most of the other good stories I encountered here are heavy-weight epics which can tend to be quite tedious reading on the dialogue screen.

Gameplay-wise the only thing that I can report is that I had to mildy scumload (reload a few bad luck turns) the duel with Lord Night (despite Alariel being lvl 4 - I think, otherwise she was lvl 3), not sure if that was a misplay on my part or if I would have had to maxlvl her to reliably beat this).

I would prefer the different unit levels to still be called "Alariel" etc. instead of including the level in the name. It is unnecessary, as you have a lvl tag shown right next to it and for some reason seeing that really broke the immersion for me (momentarily).
Story nitpicks:
I saw a few spelling mistakes while playing through, but stupidly didn't take notes, if I find the time to hunt them down I will definitely hand them in later.

And if I find the time I will definitely check out TAS!

Cheers!
Whiskeyjack
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.