Genesis 0.2.12 [1.14/1.15] [Ep 1 complete]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nemaara
Developer

Re: Genesis 0.2.6 [1.12/1.14] [Ep 1 complete]

Post by nemaara »

There's a buggggg... :annoyed:

One of the events that's supposed to fire on turn 21 actually fires on turn 1 because I accidentally deleted the 2 in front of it. :doh:

Well, anyway, from what I can tell, it doesn't look like you're having too much trouble until the shadow demons arrive, so I reduced their spawns a little bit. I'll upload the newest version tonight.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Version 0.2.7 is released. This just fixes the bug in Incubus and reduces the enemy spawn rate a little bit. Hopefully there won't be anymore crazy bugs like this.
Anduilas

Post by Anduilas »

Hello again, sorry to bother you. So, I started from the beginning because I was thinking: "I already screwed up this campaign". Then, at Silent Night, Aryel can't recruit at all, and there are too many demons and spirits and I kept dying. I managed to pass it anyway, but I thought it you would want to know that. Oh, and thanks a lot for the visual tips, you're a life savior.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

So I've never had too much trouble beating Silent Night. Maybe there's something you're not doing quite the same way I am? If you give me a replay, I can give you more pointers on how to play it, if you like.
Anduilas

Post by Anduilas »

I don't think it will be necessary. Once I realized that there were too many demons ahead, I just stopped advancing. Then, it was a lot easier. I just didn't know if you intended that.
Anduilas

Post by Anduilas »

Just finished Episode 1. It was a really cool campaign and after Silent Night, the campaign is actually nowhere near as tense as I thought it would be, though it was quite diffucult and mysterious sometimes. Like, as I progressed I learned that I shouldn't let my guard down and that, to beat the scenario, it would probably have more than it was initially shown. I won't talk much about the gameplay, even because I think I'm not the most suitable for it.

About the story:
Spoiler:
Sorry for any mistakes and thanks for the hard work. Looking forward to a sequel. ^_^
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Anduilas wrote: June 25th, 2018, 12:00 am Just finished Episode 1. It was a really cool campaign and after Silent Night, the campaign is actually nowhere near as tense as I thought it would be, though it was quite diffucult and mysterious sometimes. Like, as I progressed I learned that I shouldn't let my guard down and that, to beat the scenario, it would probably have more than it was initially shown. I won't talk much about the gameplay, even because I think I'm not the most suitable for it.

About the story:
Spoiler:
Sorry for any mistakes and thanks for the hard work. Looking forward to a sequel. ^_^
Thanks for the feedback. ^_^

I do want to say a couple things just in case anyone else is reading and is curious.
Spoiler:
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Hello. A bit of balancing feedback: the demon fiend line is both ridiculously overpowered against melee units, and easily killed by strong ranged units due to their ranged berserk. I suggest replacing their berserk special with a custom weaker version of berserk like below (that gives powerful units with no melee at least a chance to survive):

Code: Select all

[berserk]
        id=genesis_berserk_ranged
        name= _ "lesser berserk"
        description= _ "Whether used offensively or defensively, this attack presses the engagement until one of the combatants is slain, or 4 rounds of attacks have occurred."
        value=4
    [/berserk]
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
SpiderAja

Post by SpiderAja »

they were not that hard to beat for me OvO"
Just have something with decent damage output and/or high fire resistances and their berserk backfires
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

SpiderAja wrote: June 28th, 2018, 6:38 am they were not that hard to beat for me OvO"
Just have something with decent damage output and/or high fire resistances and their berserk backfires
I'm not saying that they're hard to beat in the campaign, but that they would be overpowered against factions that don't have as many ranged units as the faerie. (like if, hypothetically, the campaign's creator decided to make an era with the campaign's units)
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
SpiderAja

Post by SpiderAja »

well, berserk is always op
your poor mages will not stand a chance against dwarves for example
In Invasions from the unknown the berserkers can easily take down the sentry turrets that keep your flying units out off the demon city >w<
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

SpiderAja wrote: June 28th, 2018, 6:43 am well, berserk is always op
your poor mages will not stand a chance against dwarves for example
In Invasions from the unknown the berserkers can easily take down the sentry turrets that keep your flying units out off the demon city >w<
good point.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

So normally, berserking units are either used to be a sure (or almost sure) kill against ranged units (since berserking units are typically melee). Alternatively, you can use them to punch a hole in a defense line, or simply as a deterrent for an enemy to come in range of your berserker.

I'm just hypothesizing here, since I haven't made the actual era yet, but currently, ranged attacks are actually the norm for demons rather than (somewhat) melee-dominated units in default, where most units have some kind of at least rudimentary melee attack. Here, the vast majority of demons have fairly strong ranged attacks, so ranged berserking probably won't end up being a big deal against them. (This might change with the release of the <spoiler> faction, but we'll see. :whistle: )

Point is, the era I'm hoping to make probably is a ranged-dominated era, so ranged attacks actually become the default rather than melee, in which case the ranged berserk can be used pretty much the same way as I described above, I think. :hmm:
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

nemaara wrote: June 28th, 2018, 4:56 pm Point is, the era I'm hoping to make probably is a ranged-dominated era, so ranged attacks actually become the default rather than melee, in which case the ranged berserk can be used pretty much the same way as I described above, I think. :hmm:
Well, that kind of defeats the ranged attacks' purpose of being uncommon enough that it can be used without retaliation on a decent amount of units.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

ForestDragon wrote: June 28th, 2018, 5:04 pm
nemaara wrote: June 28th, 2018, 4:56 pm Point is, the era I'm hoping to make probably is a ranged-dominated era, so ranged attacks actually become the default rather than melee, in which case the ranged berserk can be used pretty much the same way as I described above, I think. :hmm:
Well, that kind of defeats the ranged attacks' purpose of being uncommon enough that it can be used without retaliation on a decent amount of units.
This is true, I'll think about that. Of course, everything I said would change if I made a faction that people decided to play with default factions. :whistle: