Genesis 0.2.12 [1.14/1.15] [Ep 1 complete]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BTIsaac

Re: Genesis 0.1.9 [1.12/1.14] [Ep 1 complete]

Post by BTIsaac »

Well in terms of ideas, I might recommend removing the ability to recruit spirits with Aryel, and emphasise possesing enemy spirits instead. Any gold she spends is a waste, when every spirit she recruits means 3 or 4 less for yumi, not counting the upkeep.

Esther and Yumi running from the void demons in Ashen Hearts III is a very unforgiving sequence, as one mistake can screw the whole thing up. All it takes is for Esther to end up over the chasm once and it becomes impossible to run away.

Something I noticed fighting the Illusory angel is what happens when all of the illusions single out one target. They score a few hits, get hit enough to disperse, the next one takes over, until they're all killed, which spawns in the next wave, which in turn get to move immediately, and the whole thing starts all over again, until the target is dead and I lose. I don't think they should be allowed to move the turn they spawn, or else they cause an infinite loop like this.

Adding flat tiles to the generated terrain in the final scenario would make Talya less useless there. She's doing poorly on deep water and if she lags behind, the blue demons can easily cut her off the rest. This is especially a problem because her slow attack and blitz ability makes her one of the most useful units in the entire campaign. On that note, I'd say that either the boss fight at the end of Ashen Hearts III or the whole of Moonlit night is redundant.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Played through some more scenarios. The story and dialogue keeps getting better. :D
Spoiler:
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

The problem with the mages is, they don't move 3 hexes. They move to any hex within a 3 hex radius. If there's something in the way, they go the long way around.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Version 0.2.1 is released for 1.14.

I've worked through most of the suggestions above, although I'm not willing to give Talya too much help for Moonlit Night, since she can be very useful there with the correct build.

I haven't begun work on Genesis II yet, but I was considering releasing another music track of mine for the first few scenarios of the second campaign. For those interested, you can find it in my music thread:

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 52#p627452

(Sudipta, it almost sounds like you need to be playing on hard mode :lol:)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hello!

I am playing this on 1.13.14 and I have two things I wanna state about your campaign, nemaara...

1. It's awesome, man! Keep it up!

Spoiler:
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
nemaara
Developer

Re: Genesis 0.2.1 [1.12/1.14] [Ep 1 complete]

Post by nemaara »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 9th, 2018, 3:41 pm 2.
Spoiler:
I have been called evil countless times, actually. :roll:

Do you have the latest version of Genesis? It has a visual solution to the puzzle in question, which should be reasonably easy to solve. If you can't update, then you're out of luck and will have to use debug, since the puzzle is randomly generated.
Spoiler:
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

since the puzzle is randomly generated
You....
Off Topic
Add me on Facebook, nemaara. I have a need for your evil imagination for the prank I am gonna pull next semester... XD
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Anduilas

Post by Anduilas »

Giving my feedback, I have to congratulate you for your storytelling. Each character is so unique(despite the fact Yumi can be a little annoying sometimes) and deep, and the lore is really great too. About the gameplay, I need to say that this campaign can be REALLY frustrating sometimes. I played AtS and IftU both on normal and it wasn't anywhere near as hard as Genesis's easy. Since Impetus, I don't feel like there was any scenario where i thought "This is a chill scenario, no worries". And the puzzles... The ones in the Crypt were a bit challenging but okay, the rest I must admit I came here looking for tips. Right now I'm stuck at Silent Night(I have the latest version of Genesis) and I can't seem to figure it out. You see, I got deaf at the age of 12, so I tried using a tuner to tell me the order of the notes, but it didn't work(and the background noise kept interfering). So, I asked my brother to tell me which one was higher and it didn't work either. Am I too dumb for this campaign? Little help? Can you write like... a book about the story so I can know the end? Playing 1.12.6 if this makes any difference.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Finally finished the campaign. Real life got in the way, so took longer than expected. I also had to reinstall windows, and so lost my feedback notes for 4-5 scenarios. :oops:
Spoiler:
I had a great time playing Genesis. It's really well made. The character interaction is the best among all wesnoth campaigns. The story was very interesting too.The only negative thing i can think of has been mentioned before that some scenarios are too repetitive, esp. the running away ones. The gameplay can get boring sometimes but i'm more of a story guy. I would love to see a sequel and wish u all the best in making it. I'm a sucker for good stories and I'll miss yumi, aryel & esther and their adventures. I'll replay the campaign on hard someday and i'll be sure to beat it fair and square next time. My heroes were a bit underpowered this run, won't make that mistake again.

Thanks a lot!
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Lord-Knightmare:
Spoiler:
Anduilas, I can provide a few comments on your feedback.

About the gameplay, Genesis is expert-level for a reason, and even on easy, it's not meant to be something beatable without strategy. I've had some people test it on easy and it seemed not too bad to them, so I'm wondering what's making it hard for you? :hmm:
Spoiler:
The puzzles are probably going to stay the way they are, I was thinking some people would need help on them, which is exactly what this thread is for.
Spoiler:
Finally, about Yumi... I'm going to go on a tinnnyyy little tangent, sorry in advance. :lol:
Spoiler:
Sudipta:

Thanks for all the feedback! A few missing scenarios is no big deal. I've already commented on the repetitiveness of the scenarios before, which I couldn't really excuse myself for due to poor planning. I'll try to do better for the second campaign. There are definitely some unbalanced scenarios on medium and easy (especially the ones you mentioned), and I likely need to release another patch to smooth out the difficulty at lower difficulty levels.

Fortunately for you, the second campaign is planned already, and I'm hoping to start scenarios soon(-ish :whistle:), so we can explore the story more there (our heroines will, of course, return to star in the second campaign too :lol:).
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

I checked my files and turns out i only missed commenting on 2 scenarios. Twilight vision's a story scenario, and i absolutely loved everything to read there. That only leaves Royal Palace but i can't think of any suggestions on that. it seemed ok to me both story and gameplay wise.
nemaara wrote: May 11th, 2018, 1:52 am She's not a Mary Sue. Like a real character, she has her flaws, but I would argue that this is what makes her more realistic.
Exactly. Yumi felt so real, she's my favorite of the trio. Her being the strongest of the three makes it even better ;)
nemaara wrote: May 11th, 2018, 1:52 am Fortunately for you, the second campaign is planned already, and I'm hoping to start scenarios soon(-ish :whistle:), so we can explore the story more there (our heroines will, of course, return to star in the second campaign too :lol:).
Awesome!! I cant wait to continue the story. :D
realmruler

Post by realmruler »

I am currently stuck on the (presumably last) puzzle for iron crescent.
Spoiler:
Pls advise. Though u might as well just put all the answers somewhere...
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Version 0.2.2 is released for both 1.14 and 1.12.

This patch rebalances the difficulty on normal and easy modes for some of the scenarios (they should be easier now; I'm hoping that they won't be as troublesome anymore).

Realmruler:
Spoiler:
Anduilas

Post by Anduilas »

Thanks for the detailed answer. I don't really care about playing the scenario from the start. But I really want to finish it myself, like, to get this "I did it" feeling, if you know what I mean.

About the gameplay:
Spoiler:
About the puzzles:
Spoiler:
About Yumi:
Spoiler:
So, keep up the good work. Your puzzles are really interesting and I look forward for Genesis to have a sequel, like shadowm's campaigns. Ah, and don't worry too much about my complaining, sometimes I'm too impatient, sorry about that. ;)
moony

Post by moony »

Hey everyone!
Here comes my feedback. i really enjoyed playing genesis 1, i honestly can+t wait until you start, and eventually finish part 2 nemaara :D
it was refreshing to see that the campaign was slightly different designed than the most of the '0rdinary' campaigns you find at the server. i liked yout style a lot, the puzzles, your writing style, changing scenario quests, more like anti-heroes who have a deeper and more complex character. and i had to restart many scenarios to figure out how i finish them, no walk-through but thinking and planning.
But i have to agree with most of everyone else, the last scenario is hell, if you did not develope evey character as far as possible. i was not able to finish it without cheat enginge, no matter how much i tried.
it would be nice, in cahpter 2, if exp. and developement of the main characters could be transferred and we can continue developing them than starting from the very beginning. also, when ester and yumi try to find aryel and tarlya in the catacombs (i think it is ashen hearts, i already deleted them) while running away from the void and those void creatures, it is impossible if you dont have enough money. it works if you had enough loyal units in the very begining, but if they did not survive the previous scenarios, it is not beatable as gold runs into negative (i hope you get what i mean).
i am really looking forward to the next chapters!
Unsere Taten bestimmen wer wir sind, nicht unsere Worte.