Genesis 0.2.12 [1.14/1.15] [Ep 1 complete]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Wussel

Re: Genesis

Post by Wussel »

Thanks. I could not get that from the code. I used maybe to much gold on the first leg. But I might be able to recruit 6 or 7 manifestations.

Is the boss changing position? Than I would just reload at this point. I will turn on the sound. Usually the sound makes to much noises (like my neighbors at night if you know what I am meaning)

I noticed in the graphic files that there are 2 Angel units. Can I just put a red dot on the right one? (Fake Angels seems to be a bit translucent?)

Edit: Solved - The red dot on the original sprite did not help!
Basically: Hit the one which provokes a redraw of all enemies. Save load works. That way I could hit the right one twice per round. This is really counter intuitive. Removing all the mirrors looks like progress while redraw looks like set back. WML reading did not give this away. But it did help with the first leg. Knowing were to be at round 15 helped tremendously.

The long one with the music riddle at the end: After a few attempts I cheated by changing some numbers in the scenario file. One thing still stalled me: The possessed unit from Ariel are gaining quit a bit of upkeep. Being broke does not work for Yumi. Maybe not giving upkeep to possessed units? If Yumi uses her teleport thingy by sending a ghost up front first, she is to quick? Kind of weird to run into a stonewall at the end.

The last one in the forest was almost like a breather. I worked on leveling some fresh loyal units. The 2 guard mages of Talya did not make it to the frontline in time for experience.

Edit2:
Finished the update. The last battle for the town was a bit tough. I reached round 26 after 3 hours. Than every unit was beaten up and the flying fast skirmish supadupa demons would have prevented any retreat. I tried just for fun and it was a slaughter. By the way: The city general was conducting suicide and all the upper villages went to waste. Always nice to see a banzai attack, but very disfunctional.

My solution:
I gave Esther the hole punch spell (annul) from Yumi's long run. And I snatched a "recall loyals" from a mainline campaign. It turned out that there are a bunch more units with no upkeep than just the ones with the loyal trait. This is confusing. For starter: all the white mages bought in the city. But the General/Marshal too and a few others.

Of course it was easy that way.

New sprites are great. I would like different sprites for the brown faeries. The two level 3 and the level 4 share the same sprite. The level 2 is to similar for me too. I do not care which portrait you use. I would find that Dionli from LordBob most fitting for the brown faeries. In general I prefer custom portraits for units and heroes. But there is is so much to do. Great code and sprites!
Last edited by Wussel on March 1st, 2018, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

If you want to modify the source code to work your way through the scenarios, why not just use debug instead? Genesis is beatable on every difficulty, and doing some things like giving Esther the annul ability kind of defeats the purpose of my whole design (yes, there is a specific reason only Yumi has these ultra-destructive abilities). I try to be detailed in the way I design the scenarios and units, so these choices aren't just made haphazardly.

Which difficulty are you playing on? I can definitely tune down the difficulty for "medium" and "easy" modes. If you're playing on hard, it might be better to switch to a lower difficulty rating since hard mode is quite challenging.

Sprites are coming, but it will take some time. Of course we all would like custom portraits and BTIssac is generously working on them, but it can't happen at the moment. (Yes, yes, I know I can pilfer the portraits from mainline, but TBH I really don't like that Dionli portrait, even if the rest of LordBob's work is really good. I could definitely use the shyde/sylph portraits, though.)
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

I would think I am playing on medium. There are campaigns which are to hard on easy, because of lack of experience coming your way. So I usually take medium. Debug is great, if scenarios suffer from tight turn limits, otherwise I am not really familiar with it.

I was a bit concerned with all the holes too. I was considering lava pits or simple rubble, maybe even water. But Esther is the fire faerie. Anyway I had fun. Did not even had to do the recruiting of the 27 unit by hand. And I even lost one! A ghost with 3 exp, which I used for village grabbing.

Serious: the flyboys should probably loose the skirmish ability or get a lot weaker or slower.

Off topic:
This might be your favored TV series:
https://www.viki.com/videos/1117207v-hot-girl-episode-1

Teenagers in training to save the world. They even have a geek girl called Pink Panther (I heard the word Otaku, while reading the subtitles). On top of this the lead character is called unbeatable Goddess!

Amazon prime has it too.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Well, on the topic of portraits, I'm done with the shadow mages, and hopefully I'll be able to post them tomorrow, and get the demon portraits started.
I was really hoping i can get the fiends sketched and inked tonight (i even have a good idea what direction i want to go with them), so i can have 6 instead of just 4 to work with, but that probably isn't going to happen.
sreesreearul

Post by sreesreearul »

Wussel wrote: February 26th, 2018, 6:38 am
Edit2:
Finished the update. The last battle for the town was a bit tough. I reached round 26 after 3 hours. Than every unit was beaten up and the flying fast skirmish supadupa demons would have prevented any retreat. I tried just for fun and it was a slaughter. By the way: The city general was conducting suicide and all the upper villages went to waste. Always nice to see a banzai attack, but very disfunctional.
I had that scenario far too easy (I beat at about half way mark with more that half my starting gold left, killed both the demon leaders just as the reinforcements started arriving ) in the medium difficulty with version 0.1.0, that I reported it here. Neemara did say that they will change the difficulty. Did it get so difficult? :mrgreen: May be I should check out, may be not. :roll:
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Wussel, if you really feel the need to edit the source code, I would suggest sticking to modifying numbers. Yes, one of the big problems is that by copying code between scenarios, you might break things, especially since I'm not a good programmer and kind of just sling things together in my code. The other is that, like I said before, I'm pretty careful about dialogue and unit abilities because it directly relates to the storyline. Editing the source code for numbers is usually fine because it's much less likely to break anything, and those really just tweak scenario difficulty. On that note, I definitely didn't want anyone to spend 3 hours on S18 (Black Fire), since I was able to beat the scenario in about 20 minutes (granted, I play really quickly). The scenarios you had trouble on were the scenarios where the difficulty on easy and medium modes were fairly close to hard mode, so I'll definitely make them easier. Thanks for the feedback. ^_^

BTIssac, for the portraits, please take as much time as you want. It'll also be fun to see how the finished shadow mages look, since they did look quite promising when you first posted them. (:
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Your programming is awesome!

Please understand: I have not seen this before!
Not even with ESR's campaign!
(Everybody was going wacko "Oh, ESR is writing code for Wesnoth")

You even have a large Lua section.

Maybe I am not getting something:
At day: Dryads and spirits do a reasonable good job. Maybe I should have leveled some white mages?

At night: Nightfaeries are weak at melee and Spectres get killed with fire range in a single attack. Before that they were great against some demons in a few early scenarios.

Main charakters are killing machines but take melee damage. They need extended breaks to recover 50+ HP. But even a killing machine can kill only one each turn. (Talya twice)

What is this Guardian Angel ability doing? I can read, but it is not very helpful. Maybe at least an animation or some blue letters "Protect"? I have a few and use them with some success. Slow helps.

So what is it? What am I missing?
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Well, they're done now. Short of some random occurance, I'll get to work on the demons later today.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

@Wussel
Spoiler:
Btw I do not understand why would you need to try to do fancy code changes. If you cannot beat a scenario the conventional way just use debug and the kill command, or in the case of riddles looking into code and/or inspect helps. Its way easier, faster and more elegant way to get through a scenario if you can't or do not want to beat it.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Well I really liked that spell stuff and wanted to copy it. I was leveling levl1 and levl2 units. The General (from the recall list) helps for that. The ally is a joke of course. I would suggest to keep him passiv in his keep. Or teleport him to higher city levels, if he gets killed in his castle. If you rush it, the ally general survives btw.

@sreesreearul: I suppose you can rush it before the night starts and the level 3 demons show up. I used that time to level some units. With level 3 units you can definitely rush it, before the fun starts. Go and play it for 34 rounds till the end, if you want the challenge.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

I do not think that "liking" a feature is a good argument for modifying campaign files and adding it to some other scenarios as you like xD Obviously you can do it but I think that it defeats the purpose of a campaign and I personally think that if you do it you should not expect any help if something doesn't work, even if seemingly not related to the change.
adramolokh

Post by adramolokh »

For some reason, Aryel still has the Recruit Ghost menu option after Black Cauldron. While this is a very convenient and very enjoyable ability to possess, I don't believe that it was intended.
Attachments
Gns-1-Northlands.gz
(9.27 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
Gns-1-Black_Cauldron_replay.gz
(48.74 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Gns-1-Crypt.gz
(9.29 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

ElderofZion wrote: March 2nd, 2018, 7:45 pm Obviously you can do it ... you should not expect any help if something doesn't work...
I really like the obvious!

I learned to interpret the cryptic Wesnothian bug messages long ago.
I got more for the "recall loyals" (3) than for the "annul spell" (1).

While not being able to code exciting stuff, I learned to copy and paste it quit well.

You however may learn however you wish.

Disclaimer: Do not try this at home. You might have to reinstall the campaign.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Ehm, well I do not really care about these things, I don't know much about coding and I do not really feel the urge to learn more about it.

Also, I do not really care about learning to copy and paste the code, I don't remember trying it however I imagine it would not be too difficult. xD

About wesnoth error messages, ehm, I would need to look into the code and find what caused the error but it would be rather difficult as I do not know much about coding... if I get error messages then it is definitely not because i fiddled with the code, I report them to the addon maintainer, in case of Genesis to Nemaara.

Well, thanks for the disclaimer, I was not going to try it anyway...
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Version 0.1.4 is released. There are 2 new scenarios to play, which leaves 3 or 4 scenarios left before Genesis I is complete.

There are again a lot of new sprites (like 20+ again), and the fae sprites have also been modified slightly. I have also checked, and it seems like after a few changes, Genesis works on 1.13.11 (minus some terrain problems, but these are solely visual). So, you can play on version 1.13.11 if you would like.