Genesis 0.2.12 [1.14/1.15] [Ep 1 complete]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Genesis [SP campaign for 1.12/1.13]

Post by Konrad2 »

Using 'siphon' on ethereal enemies let's your allies heal twice as much.

My Fae are apparently underleveled, which would be why I'm struggeling so much.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Spoiler:
Rhylla

Post by Rhylla »

Just downloaded the newest update on 1.12.6 and when I tried to restart the game from the beginning, the menu/toolbar/right unit description and map bar were all gone. After the dialog between Esther and Yumi, it was literally just the map with no menu or sidebar or anything. I had to use command mode to get out of there. When I tried restarting Wesnoth and trying again, the same thing happened. I then tried to load an old save from before the update and all the menus are back, everything looks fine. I'm gonna try and play from that scenario (Black Cauldron) onwards and see if anything else strange happens.

As a by the way, have you uploaded this game to the 1.13 servers? I looked for it on 1.13.13 and 1.13.12 and didn't see it.

Update: Black Cauldron had 10 turns total, when I remember it having 50+ before. I went back to Red Peaks instead, which had a more normal amount of turns (50). I was advancing Esther through debug (I'm not sure if you intended this, but there are only a certain amount of abilities one can get, especially with Esther, and I've been playing around with her trying to get the best build) and I noticed that her exp would go from around 1800 to suddenly dropping to 100 or so, generally once I'd gotten through the 'special' advancement and to the single stat boost advances.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

One other thing I noticed is that Esther's fearless trait actually doesn't prevent the time of day from reducing her damage in this scenario. I guess fearless doesn't work for scenarios that have more than a certain level of chaotic bonus/lawful penalty. In my initial test, I actually found Talya to be still reasonably useful, as long as she's guarded properly, so there's that. :roll:

I designed Moonlit Night assuming that you at the very, very least have one of Yumi's ultimate abilities, the one that she gets once you get her one AMLA once she reaches level 5. In hard mode, I don't think it's unreasonable for me to ask you to have one of Aryel's ultimate abilities as well, while Esther usually lags behind (I think she is reasonably good if you give her exp, but most people seem to rather give kills to Aryel - granted Aryel is very, very useful). It's really up to you guys to figure out the ideal fae build path, but you do need to get them to high level to beat the campaign on hard. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know what the problem with the theme is in 1.12.6, running the campaign on my computer doesn't seem to cause any problems with the menus/toolbars. Nevertheless, I think I may be able to fix it, although I'm not sure why the code in question would result in any bug to begin with. Genesis is uploaded on the 1.13 server, but note that 1.13.12 and onward use the 1.14 server, which Genesis is not uploaded to yet (it will get put on there in 2 releases, which actually should not be too long from now).

Regarding Black Cauldron:
Spoiler:
adramolokh

Post by adramolokh »

nemaara wrote: April 12th, 2018, 3:18 am One other thing I noticed is that Esther's fearless trait actually doesn't prevent the time of day from reducing her damage in this scenario. I guess fearless doesn't work for scenarios that have more than a certain level of chaotic bonus/lawful penalty. In my initial test, I actually found Talya to be still reasonably useful, as long as she's guarded properly, so there's that. :roll:
I noticed that fearless was broken during Impetus' standard & eternal midnight schedule night on a save ported from 1.12.5 to 1.13.12, though I don't currently have that save on me. It may be broken across the campaign, or Wesnoth.
Rhylla

Post by Rhylla »

Another thing I noticed that I was curious about.
Spoiler:
I can totally understand if you don't want to reveal Esther's skill tree, but it would be interesting if you could elaborate on the differences between each build.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Version 0.1.8 is released for 1.12 only.

This is a maintenance update to make Moonlit Night a little easier, as well as to add unit descriptions to most units (and rebalancing some of the demons). I double checked on hard mode, and if you play extremely well, it should be possible to beat Moonlit Night using only Manifestations (maybe a bit of luck is needed as well). Granted, a lot of your recalls aren't going to be that useful anyway, and you should be using plenty of Manifestations to begin with. Also, it turns out fearless is only bugged when taking 1.12 saves and using them on 1.13, so it's not really bugged at all.

Rhylla, regarding Esther, my answer to your question can be summed up in one sentence. I don't really know that much about her skill paths. :whistle:
Spoiler:
sreesreearul

Post by sreesreearul »

nemaara wrote: April 13th, 2018, 4:20 am
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

So, i tried betting a few times at the colosseum, and i always lose, even when my guy very obviously won. Is it even possible to win Those bets, or ks it just a waste of money?
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Spoiler:
BTIsaac wrote: April 16th, 2018, 4:33 pm So, i tried betting a few times at the colosseum, and i always lose, even when my guy very obviously won. Is it even possible to win Those bets, or ks it just a waste of money?
Regarding the Colosseum, I'll double check the behavior more rigorously, but as far as I can tell, it should work. :hmm:

I know it was bugged before, but I did fix it in an earlier version. Are you sure you have the latest version of Genesis? And if so, can you give me your start of scenario save for Caerleon?

(Also, if you aren't too far already, I recommend waiting to play more until version 0.1.9 comes out in a couple days. I'm revising the dialogue in earlier scenarios).
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Yeah, darnest thing, my latest version is 0.1.6. I must've forgot to update before I started playing.
I'll just finish it like it is, and replay it later.
laerne

Post by laerne »

Hey I've downloaded the mod two weeks ago (1.0.7) and played that campaign and I must say congratulation ! The writing was good and I enjoyed my time overall.

* The characters had depth, which is not always a given. Though someone should tell Yumi that trying to protect her friends just drag them into her mess anyway. Bonus score for having an at least half competent guard that has no family and that is not nice :D

* I find text backstories in general a bit tedius to read in wesnoth, beacuse there's so much distraction to read them. But the backstory of Luma is actually well written and integrated in an enigma (which forces to pay attention) and it was very satisfactory to read.

* Visual storytelling was great too. Narrative ellipses that transforms nice clean marble floors into to poodles of blood and heaps of burnt stones were great :) Or the left-right looking around were not much, but they still gave rhythm to the story with effectiveness (just a little tedious to skip when restarting a scenario, but not dramatically so).

* The enigma were generally fun and not too what-the-hell-did-the-creator-meant, and were nice pauses between fighting campaigns. That being said I have a really poor ear for music notes, that was quite laborious to somewhat brute-force the music enigmas, especially the first one where you still have to pass the turns and finish it before the specters enter the enigma area.

* I missed the optional missions at the beginning because I though I could do them after the cavern in the city. Maybe there could be a warning before starting that mission ?

* I'm not a hardcore player, I only occasionally install wesnoth so I'm playing on easy. Some mission may need balancing on that mode because they feel way too challenging for easy, having to roll dices too luckily. I'm more specifically thinking of the one where Yumi is alone in a snowy everchanging landscape and the final boss. For the former, I didn't understand how yumi's cold attack work at first, so I had upgraded the other ranged attack to have one strong attack and what a big surprise when two blue monsters spawn next to you that appear to be invincible. It took time to find out how to take them out, and it still required high rolls. From there I hoped I would be given tools to deal with those monsters during the campaign, and turns out no. So in the last scenario I have four units outnumbered and outskilled by those almost-invincible blue demons (yumi's void assault is still not upgraded, the human has damage types that do almost nothing against them and the other twos cannot deal damage at all). It cannot be compensated with not too intricate tactics (it's easy level) because terrain advantage is almost impossible to get with the ever-changing landscape and only empty hexes with their high chance-to-be-hit values to walk onto and many more monsters with Zone-of-controls that renders outmaneuvering very difficult inedeed. That was too much, I skipped that last one with the debug_mode... to get the end of the story. [EDIT: Disregard that last complain, I've played without going to this very forum and I didn't notice I could recruit ghosts at will. Recruting make the thing a lot more palatable.]

There you go. I'm finished with it story-wise, so I'm probably not going to play it again, but I had a fun time with it. Keep working on it, it's great stuff !
nemaara
Developer

Re: Genesis 0.1.9 [1.12/1.14] [Ep 1 complete]

Post by nemaara »

Version 0.1.9 is released, with Episode 1 complete storywise and (for the most part) balanced. (Hooray! :lol:)

This version is now available on the 1.14 server and I definitely recommend playing on the development version (if you can handle some lag) since it has nicer transitions and terrains than in 1.12. Unless there are more bugs/issues that arise (I'm sure some will come up :roll:), this should be the final update for Episode 1. There won't be a release for Episode 2 for a while, since I'll need some time to build up the framework for some new gameplay I want to do. Laerne, regarding easy mode, I will probably be able to rebalance that better later when I have some time to implement some ideas. Thanks for the feedback.

There are a few people to thank for providing extra assets/support for this campaign:

shadowm: Most of you know that Genesis is the prequel to her two awesome campaigns Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm, and much of the lore from Genesis is derived from the IftU/AtS canon. She also drew the sprites for the fae and the Guardians (and the faerie). So let's have some cheers for shadowm! :lol:

doofus-01: Many of the maps in Genesis are drawn using terrains from Archaic Resources, which doofus-01 kindly allowed me to use in my campaign; Genesis definitely wouldn't be visually complete without them.

ElderofZion: A lot of playtesting and balancing (and bug fixing and feedback for later scenarios especially) was done by ElderofZion (who now is incidentally ElderofCheese? :P)

BTIssac: The portraits for some of the demons were drawn by BTIssac, and it seems like more are coming. Thanks for the hard work!

That's all I have to say for now, hopefully I should be back within a reasonable time frame with Episode 2 started. :roll:
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Still didn't update, and since i haven't finished the version i have either, there isn't much feedback i can provide at the moment. However i did encounter an issue with yumi that i thought I'll bring up. Not sure if this is a memory management problem in the code, something about my version of wesnoth, or my device just can't handle it, but I'll mention it just in case. At one point Yumi levels up and gets the ability to teleport next to friendly units. Well, that ability made my life miserable, because it comes with a horrible lag every time i select Yumi (at least on bigger maps). Which is really annoying especially in scenarios involving her alone.

Anyway, on the subject of portraits (thanks for mentioning me by the way), i made progress with the next set of portraits, namely the fiend and berserker/hellion portraits are mostly done (not counting eventual minor tweaks), and I'm moving on to the dreamwalker and dreamweaver. I'm also going to post the fire demon/demoness portrait sketches next week, and maybe something else.
Also, not sure if you saw it, but i suggested in Lord Bob's thread that maybe a modified version of his portrait of Eloh could be used for Xia'el (it would make sense). If that's okay with you, maybe you should let him know.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

BTIsaac wrote: April 20th, 2018, 10:19 pm Still didn't update, and since i haven't finished the version i have either, there isn't much feedback i can provide at the moment. However i did encounter an issue with yumi that i thought I'll bring up. Not sure if this is a memory management problem in the code, something about my version of wesnoth, or my device just can't handle it, but I'll mention it just in case. At one point Yumi levels up and gets the ability to teleport next to friendly units. Well, that ability made my life miserable, because it comes with a horrible lag every time i select Yumi (at least on bigger maps). Which is really annoying especially in scenarios involving her alone.

Anyway, on the subject of portraits (thanks for mentioning me by the way), i made progress with the next set of portraits, namely the fiend and berserker/hellion portraits are mostly done (not counting eventual minor tweaks), and I'm moving on to the dreamwalker and dreamweaver. I'm also going to post the fire demon/demoness portrait sketches next week, and maybe something else.
Also, not sure if you saw it, but i suggested in Lord Bob's thread that maybe a modified version of his portrait of Eloh could be used for Xia'el (it would make sense). If that's okay with you, maybe you should let him know.
Yumi's teleport is indeed laggy on 1.12, but it seems to be not laggy at all on 1.14. I'm afraid I don't know of a more efficient way to code it, however, or I would have implemented that long ago. Sorry. :augh:

I saw the portrait of Eloh, but I'm not sure the style really fits with what I was thinking of for Xia'el. I suppose I could ask shadowm what she thinks.

Whenever you finish the other portraits, I'll be sure to look at them. It'll be great to have a nearly full set of portraits for the demons. ^_^