The North Wind (1.12/1.14 Port of SP Campaign)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pyndragon

The North Wind (1.12/1.14 Port of SP Campaign)

Post by pyndragon »

The North Wind was a campaign that I found quite intriguing when I checked out Deusite's port for 1.8. However, it's also a campaign that has been almost immediately abandoned by two developers. Hopefully it will meet a better fate this time, but a second scenario is needed for starters. So far I've simply ported, diked out unneeded content, and fixed some old bugs.

Campaign description: Wesnoth's army was occupied fighting Mal Ravanal in the East, but there were whisperings of an orcish attack in the north. Konrad II sent Deoran, now an experienced rider and commander, with a small band of knights to hold off the orcs....
Last edited by pyndragon on May 1st, 2018, 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
AKA pydsigner
Current maintainer of The North Wind and author of Heroics Mode.
pyndragon

Re: The North Wind (1.12 Port of SP Campaign)

Post by pyndragon »

Pushing a version 0.0.4 that improves dialog when no goblins are alive.

Github repository: https://github.com/pydsigner/North_Wind
AKA pydsigner
pyndragon

Post by pyndragon »

One thing that I'd like some thoughts on is the no turn limit facet. It's an interesting concept, but in practice you simply fight your way through a patch of enemies and then heal up.
Spoiler:
So I'm thinking about combating excessive dawdling by having a rolling turn limit: every time an objective is completed, the turn limit increases, plus it carries over from scenario to scenario.
Bad idea? Good idea? Too far from the original intent? Should I just consider the breathing points to be like a sort of scenario end?
AKA pydsigner
jmh

Post by jmh »

I was wondering if there's a story book on this campaign? I think it's interesting and seems like it could fit well into the larger story -- meaning fit into the mainline set of campaigns. Because of that I may not be the best person to be offing to help out -- but I am looking for something to cut my teeth on as it were in terms of campaign development.

Regarding the no limits on turns -- once Deoran reaches the compound perhaps that's a good break point. That does take away that no time limit aspect, which is interesting but seems to be a significant departure from the mainline campaigns. Alternatively to get around the issue of rest a long time that orc attack could be triggered by either some event or time -- which ever comes first. That solves the problem of resting indefinitely.
pyndragon

Post by pyndragon »

jmh wrote:I was wondering if there's a story book on this campaign? I think it's interesting and seems like it could fit well into the larger story -- meaning fit into the mainline set of campaigns. Because of that I may not be the best person to be offing to help out -- but I am looking for something to cut my teeth on as it were in terms of campaign development.
This campaign was begun by aelius, the original author of the mainline campaign The South Guard, and is the sequel to that campaign. That said, mainline chronology is more fleshed-out than back in 2005; and, there is no surviving complete storyline for the campaign that I have found, so that needs to be remedied as well.
jmh wrote:Regarding the no limits on turns -- once Deoran reaches the compound perhaps that's a good break point. That does take away that no time limit aspect, which is interesting but seems to be a significant departure from the mainline campaigns. Alternatively to get around the issue of rest a long time that orc attack could be triggered by either some event or time -- which ever comes first. That solves the problem of resting indefinitely.
My current plan is just to avoid the normal "We're out of time, we're doomed!" events and actually doom players by gradually overwhelming them (i.e. with spawns), so that the player, rather than the character, will generally concede defeat. I also want to use cross-scenario turn counters to trigger some events. These concepts will require good dialog and objective writing, but I think I can handle the challenge.
AKA pydsigner
pyndragon

Post by pyndragon »

Uploaded v0.0.5. Main changes are to the story text, with some fleshing out of details. Dialog text and presentation has also been improved, code has been cleaned up, and some scoring improvements made. Thanks for playing!
AKA pydsigner
jmh

Post by jmh »

pyndragon wrote:My current plan is just to avoid the normal "We're out of time, we're doomed!" events and actually doom players by gradually overwhelming them (i.e. with spawns), so that the player, rather than the character, will generally concede defeat. I also want to use cross-scenario turn counters to trigger some events. These concepts will require good dialog and objective writing, but I think I can handle the challenge.
That's an interesting approach and I think makes for a good change of pace from the standard game structure.
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Good campaign idea. I hope for more scenarios to come! ;)
pyndragon

Post by pyndragon »

Uploaded v0.0.6. No new scenarios yet, but I fixed a long-standing bug: Deoran's level 3 unit cfg didn't exist, causing a crash if you leveled Deoran up.
AKA pydsigner
pyndragon

Post by pyndragon »

Uploaded v0.0.7 with two bugfixes: removed an extraneous word from the storytext and fixed the path to the campaign image. Thanks to shadowm for pointing those out!
AKA pydsigner
pyndragon

Post by pyndragon »

Uploaded v0.1.0. A major revamp of S01: many events now have both action and time triggers (thanks to jmh for that idea), and the musical scoring was improved. Also fixed the misleading difficulty descriptions.
Last edited by pyndragon on May 17th, 2016, 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
AKA pydsigner
pyndragon

Post by pyndragon »

Uploaded v0.1.1. Reworked the AI to hopefully make the gameplay less gameable based on nemaara's playthrough and input, and fixed one dialogue bug.
AKA pydsigner
pyndragon

Post by pyndragon »

I have finally come up with a story continuation and completion that I think is workable. I have S02 fairly fleshed out on paper but before I post anything about the story here, I plan to finish fleshing out the rest of the scenarios. But I do intend to make releases with the extension of S01 and the addition of S00 (all talk) before scripting the rest of the scenarios.
AKA pydsigner
pyndragon

Re: The North Wind (1.12/1.13 Port of SP Campaign)

Post by pyndragon »

v0.2.0 has been released! Beyond code cleanup and small bug fixes, there is now quite a lot more story advancement in S01, and some verse has been added to open the story:

'Twas Konrad Two that sat ensconced
Upon the royal throne;
His span was cursed from birth to end —
Three risings set the tone.

First, foolish rogues an evil raised
That they could not control.
It nearly razed all Wesnoth down
Save for one wise patrol.

Another evil raised itself,
Mal Ravanal its lord;
It ravaged all the eastern plains,
And o'er the border poured.

But then from northern hills there came —
While yet the east was torn —
In northern reaches there was heard
An orcish warlord's horn.

Caught thus between two ills he was,
Without a help in sight;
Now harken to the tale I'll tell
Of heroes for his plight...
AKA pydsigner
tr0ll

Re: The North Wind (1.12/1.13 Port of SP Campaign)

Post by tr0ll »

Thats a mighty fine scroll of doggerel :)
I imagine translators will enjoy the challenge, once the campaign stabilizes 8)