1.18 Saurian Campaign, Across the Ocean

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SkyOne

Re: 1.12 Saurian Campaign, Across the Ocean

Post by SkyOne »

taptap wrote:Saurian movement animations are bugged here. Only display somewhat useable on slowed down speed, else they beam back and forth while moving. (1.12.5 on MacOS) When looking into another campaign (old save from The Rise of Wesnoth) saurian movement seemed ok there.
On my computer, it seems the movement animations are smooth on 1.12.4, but something like you described on 1.12.5. Does that occur even default Saurian units, or just the custom units?
taptap wrote:Why don't you stick to the established male mages, female fighters?
Because the most of fighters begin as L0 that are miners. I thought female miners are a bit strange even Saurians. So I divided as fighters are males and mages are females. Male mage is fine though.
taptap wrote:Why aren't there any intelligent devotees in the first scenario? Why you seemingly forced resilient trait in all your saurians?
Those are just my preferences. But merging intelligent devotees in the first scenario is fine actually.

Thank you for playing and posting the comment, taptap. :)
How is the game balance on the hard difficulty?
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
taptap

Post by taptap »

SkyOne wrote:On my computer, it seems the movement animations are smooth on 1.12.4, but something like you described on 1.12.5. Does that occur even default Saurian units, or just the custom units?
Because the most of fighters begin as L0 that are miners. I thought female miners are a bit strange even Saurians. So I divided as fighters are males and mages are females. Male mage is fine though.
Those are just my preferences. But merging intelligent devotees in the first scenario is fine actually.
animation:
Not actually played that far. The animation bug gives me eye cancer and slowing animations so far that movement looks half way ok (at 0.75 or 0.5), just makes everything else very slow as well. It also happens visibly on the leader, who is a default saurian unit afaik.

sex roles:
Why are female miners strange in a species that feat. stronger and larger females than males? It oddly makes me feel like playing humans in costume more than saurians.

forcing traits / unit lines:
I prefer resilience as a trait for saurians as well, but forcing it takes a whole element out of the gameplay. I.e. careful XP distribution and attention to units with the appropriate traits. My impression is that you don't trust brittle saurians (or maybe can't because we will play a lot in caves again :shock: ) and want to give the player only resilient ones. You even made custom units for even more resilience (a choice I remember from Fate of a Princess and one I am not altogether happy with, but I have not played far). Haruspex from Roar of the Woses was a clever unit with unique abilities imo, thought you would pick it up instead of a L3 in the Augur line.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

taptap wrote:animation:
Not actually played that far. The animation bug gives me eye cancer and slowing animations so far that movement looks half way ok (at 0.75 or 0.5), just makes everything else very slow as well. It also happens visibly on the leader, who is a default saurian unit afaik.
Thanks. I guess it probably occurs just on Macs, and Saurians only (I'm on Mac, too). :? Dwarves that include the moving animation seem fine.
You may need 1.12.4 (because I am not sure 1.12.6 will be released or not). I actually use both because 1.12.5 is something slow when I use the map editor.
taptap wrote:sex roles:
Why are female miners strange in a species that feat. stronger and larger females than males? It oddly makes me feel like playing humans in costume more than saurians.
Hmmm... I can change it, but the difference between male and female in Saurians is almost nothing. I mean the same names, the same hit and die sound, and exactly the same sprites...
taptap wrote:orcing traits / unit lines:
I prefer resilience as a trait for saurians as well, but forcing it takes a whole element out of the gameplay. I.e. careful XP distribution and attention to units with the appropriate traits. My impression is that you don't trust brittle saurians (or maybe can't because we will play a lot in caves again :shock: ) and want to give the player only resilient ones.
Well, I, too, prefer the resilient-trait myself when I play, but I don't force to use it to the players. There is always a choice for the random-trait. And Saurians in caves are pretty good. So yes, there are some cave (and half cave) scenarios in this campaign.
Spoiler:
taptap wrote: You even made custom units for even more resilience
That is a kind of like my policy not to put too much thing on the custom units. I mean they are always following to the default units. But the leader unit on this campaign could be a very strong as Inky said:
with the armor of aqualkos and her awesome AMLA bonuses she is unstoppable!
taptap wrote:(a choice I remember from Fate of a Princess and one I am not altogether happy with, but I have not played far).
Hm? You probably mean the Naga Campaign, Return of the Monster, right? FoaP is a general campaign, not as freaky as all my others. And Royal Sorceress on the campaign has been told over powered.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
taptap

Post by taptap »

If it is easy to do then by all means, pretty please change it (sex of mages/fighter lines). Makes it instantly more consistent with other campaigns.
Well, I, too, prefer the resilient-trait myself when I play, but I don't force to use it to the players.
Well, fair enough. Though it is hard to resist choosing my preferred trait, when I have the option. Feels like a conduct / self-imposed challenge.
Hm? You probably mean the Naga Campaign, Return of the Monster, right? FoaP is a general campaign, not as freaky as all my others. And Royal Sorceress on the campaign has been told over powered.
L2 and L3 of the more solid, non-skirmishing Saurians (guard and champion) are in both campaigns as far as I know.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

taptap wrote:If it is easy to do then by all means, pretty please change it (sex of mages/fighter lines). Makes it instantly more consistent with other campaigns.
Your claim actually made me confuse. I have not put any gender= keys in the [unit] tags, and there is not any sign to describe male/female on the side of the game screen. So what determines that all fighters are males and all mages are females is just the dialogues (lizards don't have any differences between males and females). So they will be:
Although Skaphee and her friends were not really warriors, they trained their young lizards well in the skill of making caves in order to live safely and to grow mushrooms as their staple food. She also taught her young attendants moralities and magic very well. Today, she went to a mushroom field near a small cave at the southwest edge of the marshes with Waklex and some of her attendants.
The bold letters were "men". And
Skaphee decided to go to Bilheld for the research because she thought her predictions and her young saurians could help with the Drakes' request. First Reshii put Skaphee on his back, then flew across the ocean to Bilheld in order to find out where to dig. After that, Chamlis and some young diggers departed with a boat. Meanwhile, Waklex and Skaphee's sorcerous attendants stayed in the Black Marshes.
the bold letters were "males" and "females".

So sure. ;) Changing it is not a problem at all. But the game leader has to be a female because of her character/personality.
taptap wrote:Well, fair enough. Though it is hard to resist choosing my preferred trait, when I have the option. Feels like a conduct / self-imposed challenge.
I will probably add more pairs of trait modifications as the options, anyway, on the next release.
taptap wrote:L2 and L3 of the more solid, non-skirmishing Saurians (guard and champion) are in both campaigns as far as I know.
Ah, I see. Advancing to Saurian Guard from Saurian Skirmisher is no-longer on RotM campaign, on the other hand, it is still on FoaP campaign. But Saurian Assassin and Slayer units on this campaign can replace the Guard and Champion units although the Assassin and Slayer are probably a bit too weak on FoaP campaign, I guess.

If you don't accept non-skirmishing Saurians, this campaign is not really recommendable to play. There are some units that don't have the skirmish ability on this campaign. These are the units in it: http://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/Across_th ... l#Saurians (Young Saurian unit is missing the image because of the capital letter on the file name. It will be fixed on the next release.)

best regards
-----------------

Version 0.5.2 has been on the 1.12 server since Feb, 19th 2016.
The changes are all minor, and written on this post, except polishing three of hero's portraits, Skaphee, Waklex, and Toulosis. They still need to be polished, though...

thanks
mirror1

Post by mirror1 »

Hi SkyOne. Just want to say thank you. This is one of my favorite campaigns. A wise shaman and many exciting battles... Ahh!
Mick

Post by Mick »

Hey SkyOne,
thanks alot for this campaign, until now one of the campaigns with most fun to me. Just I came to one issue that made impossible for me to proceed with the campaign:

On hard mode, in "Conflicts of the coast", I reach the island in the middle in turn 7. From there the ship needs 8 more turns to come to the sign, but the campaign only allows 14 turns, so its impossible to reach that goal. I thought it could be a problem with the amount of turns depending on difficulty here. Could you check this please?

Thanks alot.
- Mick
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: 1.16 Saurian Campaign, Across the Ocean

Post by Konrad2 »

I'd suggest replacing the occurences of the 'Scorpion' with the 'Giant Scorpling'. The Scorpion is a smaller version of the old Giant Scorpion sprite, from a time before the lvl 0 Giant Scorpling, which has the same function, but is mainline with its own sprite. (Like S2 and S3.)

According to mainline lore, male saurians are augurs, while female ones are skirmishers.
Skaphee is therefore male, instead of female.

S3
Three drakes who are for -> The three drakes belonging to
Waklex is created as a new unit for this scenario. How about making the Waklex in S1 loyal and resilient, and then reuse them in S3? Looks more consistent.

S3 onwards
Marglon still has a silver crown but nothing happens when they die.

In 'A New Home' (S6) some things seem to be broken, and some dialogue is missing due to that. I'd rather not play further before this is fixed.

(The next scenario seems to be broken in a similiar way.)

Replays:
Spoiler:
Attachments
AtO-New Home.gz
(13.3 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
AtO-New Home-Auto-Save1.gz
(41.01 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
S6
S6
S2<br />Use something else?
S2
Use something else?
weird sand castle.png (136.81 KiB) Viewed 2528 times
augie

Major bug

Post by augie »

Hi, I love the campaign, but in the scenario "at the south chip" (I think it might be about scenario 7?) anyway, I get the error message "variable toulosis_stored does not exist", and nothing happens. I kill all the scorpians and cuddle fish, and then I sit there until the turns run out and I lose.

Really wish I could continue the campaign, but I can not figure out how to progress. I have unninstalled and reinstalled the add on, but it didn't work. :(

Also, this has nothing to do with the bug, but approaching the idle chief guy in the upper right can be done using the sky drake, not sure if you meant for that to be possible. Nothing happens though.
oldteaguy

Post by oldteaguy »

augie wrote: June 14th, 2022, 9:58 pm Hi, I love the campaign, but in the scenario "at the south chip" (I think it might be about scenario 7?) anyway, I get the error message "variable toulosis_stored does not exist", and nothing happens. I kill all the scorpians and cuddle fish, and then I sit there until the turns run out and I lose.

Really wish I could continue the campaign, but I can not figure out how to progress. I have unninstalled and reinstalled the add on, but it didn't work. :(

Also, this has nothing to do with the bug, but approaching the idle chief guy in the upper right can be done using the sky drake, not sure if you meant for that to be possible. Nothing happens though.
Issue still exists as descrived above. As you did not received any response i guess this campaign is abbandond unfortunately.
egallager

Re: 1.16 Saurian Campaign, Across the Ocean

Post by egallager »

I rendered some gifs of some of the units I stole from this campaign for ANO; here are the ones for the Saurian Devotee:
devotee-ne-bob.gif
devotee-ne-bob.gif (49.38 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
devotee-ne-run.gif
devotee-ne-run.gif (46.21 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
devotee-se-bob.gif
devotee-se-bob.gif (49.51 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
devotee-se-run.gif
devotee-se-run.gif (47.01 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
egallager

Post by egallager »

...and here are the ones for the Young Saurian:
young-melee.gif
young-melee.gif (34.04 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
young-ne-bob.gif
young-ne-bob.gif (40.26 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
young-ne-run.gif
young-ne-run.gif (44.89 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
young-se-bob.gif
young-se-bob.gif (52.3 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
young-se-run.gif
young-se-run.gif (47.65 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
young-throw.gif
young-throw.gif (21.98 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
Refumee

Re: 1.18 Saurian Campaign, Across the Ocean

Post by Refumee »

Hello fellow saurians,

I ported Across the Ocean to 1.18.
If you find bugs, please quote me, so that I get a notification.

Until then, have fun.
Duncan_Shriek

Post by Duncan_Shriek »

Refumee wrote: March 31st, 2024, 7:49 pm Hello fellow saurians,

Until then, have fun.
The problem noted above with 06_New_Home persists. I couldn't spot a specific problem, but just deleting the ADJUST_FACING macros from the scenario helped getting over the start.
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

Duncan_Shriek wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 10:14 am
Refumee wrote: March 31st, 2024, 7:49 pm Hello fellow saurians,

Until then, have fun.
The problem noted above with 06_New_Home persists. I couldn't spot a specific problem, but just deleting the ADJUST_FACING macros from the scenario helped getting over the start.
To get it right, you weren't able to start the scenario?
For me I did not notice any problems.

I'll investigate after work.